Honestly..How did you feel in the last weeks?

cartertucker

I am already up an down, going to miss my friends and family and not looking forward to feeling lonely whilst I find friends but, excited about he move and the opportunity .

I am sure what you are feeling is natural. It's a big but exciting move.

Hope all goes well for you.

Let me know how you get on x

:hug:

Guest nikkidel

We moved out of our house last week and are staying with my parents until Wednesday when we'll be flying to Brisbane.

To be honest, I think I'm just going to feel a huge sense of relief once we're actually on that plane.

I was really stressed while we were packing our house up, not because I was up and down emotionally about leaving, but just because it was difficult organising the packing along with looking after my young children etc. But now that we've left there I'm not stressed at all. Can't wait to get on with things...

Guest JK2510

It was a very odd 3 weeks from

Grant to leaving the country as you know Kelly. We had waited nearly 2 yrs for our grant to eventually turn up so the relief was immense! 5 of us were staying in a one bedroom flat as we could rent it short term without any strings attached-we mentally managed nearly 5 months in that place!!

We left on a wednesday so sun-tues pm we spent time during the day achieving not alot at times and the afternoons seeing people!

I hadn't had a good nights sleep for nearly a week.

I had no regrets about what we were doing but set in departures exhausted and tired I just sat and cried. Our 10am flight and I looked like a bag of poo,black eyes and match sticks propping my eyes open.

Looking back now it all seems so surreal. Very odd.

I was so excited but very scared too. My mother was devestated and put a LOT of emotional pressure on us.

I was taking my DS out of a grammar school and he was doing so well and just started his GCSE's, so was worrying I was ruining his life, he also had bestfriends since he was 7 and was almost 15 at the time, so he was upset.

We had 2 mths to pack up our entire life and go, couldnt sell the house but managed to rent it and was still packing things up to take to my sister and tidying for the renters 2 hrs before we were due to leave for the airport!!!

was a NIGHTMARE

in the taxi I was debating everything and finally turned to my DH and said ohno are we doing the right thing, still panicked at the airport listening to my mum hysterically sob she would never see us again and I was taking her grandkids away...

I felt exhausted, beat up, scared but excited, all mixed together.

Wow ~ Thankyou all so very much, I have really enjoyed reading all your posts, its good to know that how im feeling now & how im pretty sure i'll be feeling on the days leading up & the actual flight day are 'normal' :cute:

I will never forget as I sat on the plane for our reccie in March, with a 3 month old baby, I turned to my Hubby & said 'what the hell are we doing' :wacko: We had a few moments like that whilst we were in Australia too

But ultimately, we are fairly sure what we are doing is the right thing, for us & most importantly, our Children :yes:

hows hubby feeling? has he sorted a job for himself? is he worried about the heat?:wideeyed:

He hasnt sorted a job yet, but has a couple of contacts, so fingers crossed :wink:

He is worried about the heat, but we are clinging on to the words 'you acclimatise' :cool:

Kind of surreal.... as we had waited so long for our visa, once it was granted we didn't really waste much time and flew out 6 weeks later. We flew out mid January, so not only were we preparing to pack up our entire lives, we were also trying to give the kids a "normal" christmas!!!

Things were pretty hectic so most of the time we were too busy to think about it too much, but occasionally you'd think "jeez.... it's real...we're actually doing this" and "jeez what are we doing...are we mad"..... and sometimes I still had to pinch myself and part of my still couldn't believe we were finally doing this, until we stepped on the plane.

Wow ~ Thankyou all so very much, I have really enjoyed reading all your posts, its good to know that how im feeling now & how im pretty sure i'll be feeling on the days leading up & the actual flight day are 'normal' :cute:

I will never forget as I sat on the plane for our reccie in March, with a 3 month old baby, I turned to my Hubby & said 'what the hell are we doing' :wacko: We had a few moments like that whilst we were in Australia too

But ultimately, we are fairly sure what we are doing is the right thing, for us & most importantly, our Children :yes:

He hasnt sorted a job yet, but has a couple of contacts, so fingers crossed :wink:

He is worried about the heat, but we are clinging on to the words 'you acclimatise' :cool:

you do acclimatise very quickly, we did, too quickly in fact

Guest JK2510

You get used to it pretty quickly and I can say I love the temps at around 32-35.c. It was the temps of 42 that felt pretty hot!

We were stressed! We came on a 457, and our agent had told us to ready ourselves for a speedy mid-Feb departure. She submitted the visa on the Friday, it was approved on the Monday, we had the shippers in on Thursday and Friday, moved to the in-laws on the Friday and then we had our daughters first birthday party on the Sunday and flew out the following day, one week after the visa had been granted!

Hubby had stopped working in the January so I did have him at home for a few weeks to help out with the sorting and packing, and we left the house on the market and gave the keys to mum in law, the neighbours and the estate agent, so at least we didn't have to deal with all that. It went by very quickly, and in fact I didn't get the chance to say my goobyes to a couple of friends that I would have liked to have seen. The most gut wrenching thing by far was saying goodbye to my parents in law at the airport and carrying our children off in to the terminal. I think I cried most of the way across Europe!

Before you know it you'll be here.

Thank you very much cartertucker for starting this thread :hug:. It's been good to read the posts from others and to know that the feelings that I'm experiencing all seem to be part of the emigration process, so thank you to all of you to :hug:.

Although we don't fly out until January I'm already thinking that I don't want to go and that actually where we live is not too bad. Sometimes I can't wait to go but that seems to be rarer as the weeks are diminishing. On the other hand my OH can't wait to go and doesn't understand how I'm feeling. On sat night when we were sitting out in the garden having just had a barbie (1st October! - who'd have thought it!:shocked:) I told my OH that the things I'm going to miss about the UK are my friends and family, the landscape, the old buildings and the weather (I do like rain and snow occasionally!). He said "So why do you want to go to Oz?" and I couldn't think of any reason!! :eek: Fortunately, somehow we got off the topic so I didn't answer.

It's very weird. I know I want to go as I've wanted to live in Oz since I first went on a WHV there in 2000 but I keep thinking that I'm going to get stuck there if I don't like it as my OH may not want to move back to the UK or to NZ for me -arrgh:arghh:! Oh well I hope it all come right in the end. I'm handing in my notice next week at work (giving them 3months) so I guess I'm going to have to use my best acting skills to come across as excited! :confused:

Right now I feel a bit weird to be honest

Our shippers are coming tomorrow so we've been getting ourselves organised for them for the past few weeks - cleaning everything, sorting and organising it, separating stuff we'll take in luggage, selling/binning stuff we don't want

We're moving out at the end of the week to stay with friends for a week (whilst our son is still at school) and then at half term moving to the outlaws for 2 weeks. Had a farewell party in the village on Saturday which was great, said goodbye to my parents yesterday which was not so great, very emotional

This week we are steeling ourselves, think it will be a stress but we've organised everything, I think, so hopefully not too bad

Not looking forward to living out of a suitcase for 3 weeks in other peoples' houses. I'm just hoping that that will make the actual getting on the plane on 31 October a relief!

Guest Karenphil67
Thank you very much cartertucker for starting this thread :hug:. It's been good to read the posts from others and to know that the feelings that I'm experiencing all seem to be part of the emigration process, so thank you to all of you to :hug:.

Although we don't fly out until January I'm already thinking that I don't want to go and that actually where we live is not too bad. Sometimes I can't wait to go but that seems to be rarer as the weeks are diminishing. On the other hand my OH can't wait to go and doesn't understand how I'm feeling. On sat night when we were sitting out in the garden having just had a barbie (1st October! - who'd have thought it!:shocked:) I told my OH that the things I'm going to miss about the UK are my friends and family, the landscape, the old buildings and the weather (I do like rain and snow occasionally!). He said "So why do you want to go to Oz?" and I couldn't think of any reason!! :eek: Fortunately, somehow we got off the topic so I didn't answer.

It's very weird. I know I want to go as I've wanted to live in Oz since I first went on a WHV there in 2000 but I keep thinking that I'm going to get stuck there if I don't like it as my OH may not want to move back to the UK or to NZ for me -arrgh:arghh:! Oh well I hope it all come right in the end. I'm handing in my notice next week at work (giving them 3months) so I guess I'm going to have to use my best acting skills to come across as excited! :confused:

It sounds completely normal to me. I must admit i thought it was just me but reading all of these replies i think the majority of people have bad days.

The world is now a much smaller place and getting smaller by the day.

My other half doesnt seem to understand my feelings either as he is so excited about going. His family rarely visit each other though and i see mine very often and i think its all black and white for men.....i'm kind of envious of that. My OH says people will visit and we will come back for holidays and he is completely right but i complicate things in my head and end up winding myself up.

At the end of the day.....what have you got to lose? I have visited there numerous times and love it. Im hoping that it will be the same when i am living there in just one months time :arghh: But unless I try I will never know.

A few deep breaths and before you know it we will all be wondering why we left it so long i'm sure.

Good luck

Karen

It sounds completely normal to me. I must admit i thought it was just me but reading all of these replies i think the majority of people have bad days.

The world is now a much smaller place and getting smaller by the day.

My other half doesnt seem to understand my feelings either as he is so excited about going. His family rarely visit each other though and i see mine very often and i think its all black and white for men.....i'm kind of envious of that. My OH says people will visit and we will come back for holidays and he is completely right but i complicate things in my head and end up winding myself up.

At the end of the day.....what have you got to lose? I have visited there numerous times and love it. Im hoping that it will be the same when i am living there in just one months time :arghh: But unless I try I will never know.

A few deep breaths and before you know it we will all be wondering why we left it so long i'm sure.

Good luck

Karen

Thanks for your reply Karen. I'm trying not to let my OH know how I feel now as I think it upsets him more than it actually upsets me. It just makes thing worse:sad:. I seem to be messing everything up in head as well and keep thinking that we'll never be able to afford to come back for a holiday or something awful will happen and we won't be able to come back to help. I guess both of these things are silly to worry about as I'm sure we'll plan for these things just as we are planning to emigrate.

I think not physically seeing friends and family for long periods of time is going to be the hardest thing to deal with (19 months is the longest I've been away). Even though we are in the same town as my OH folks I see my folks who are the other side of the country more times than we see his!

You are right though, what have we got lose? At the moment I have nothing to lose and if we don't go we will always long to be there as we don't know any better. I'm looking at this as an adventure, not the same a same as backpacking but an adventure of a different sort.

I'll be thinking of you in a months time (which will mean I have less than 3 to go!).

Good luck to you to. :hug: Take care.

Hev x

I am leaving on the 9th nov, then 5 days in dubai and land in sydney on the 16th! I do get teary at times but not infront of anyone (expect 5 month old son)! I look at things in the kitchen cuboard and think do I need to but anymore will it get through until the 27th Oct (thats when removalist come and we go to my mums).

I am worried about a job for hubby and eventually getting a place but in the short term will stay with my mother in law in the middle of nowhere!

I do journeys and think when will be the next time i do this and I want cram all of england places in my head even though i have lived here all my life and not bothered ever!

Guest Pixie10

You sound just like me! We fly beginning of January and oh would go today if he could- I want to go but have a lot of family that im close to and will miss so much- Im already starting to have wobbles! God help me at xmas! :chatterbox:

Honestly I felt like I was on a rollercoaster and couldnt get off, part of me felt I was dreaming. It was easy to say Im going to Aus,but on the inside I was screaming Holy **** Im going to Aus and I didnt want to leave. The tears flowed, fear, hopes, basically a bag of liquorice allsorts.

The day before we left was one of the worst days in my life it felt like everyone I loved had died as I said my goodbyes to them. I know that sounds dramatic but at the time it felt real. Once you get here you realise your just a day away from home and family and friends really are just a phone call away.

Best of luck and have a safe flight.

Guest rico123
Thanks again everyone & im glad others are finding the thread comforting too :cute:

Thank god its not only me thats doubting our decision to go...i know its the best for my kids but i also know the stress it'll be to begin wih finding suburbs,rentals,jobs,schools etc...i keep blanking out in my head saying goodbye to my old gran and my mum whom my girls and i see every single day:cry:

We leave Nov 30th aswell and are heading for perth-i hope it all falls into place,we wont know until we try huh!x

I am heading off with the kids in 5 weeks, and still so much to do, constantly tired, and unable to sleep, working until we leave, hating hte smell of jeyes - how clean can you get shoes!!!!! tooo many things to do..... Sarah

Guest Karen and Colin

Having a bad day today really stressed out and feel as if everything is starting to go wrong. 4 weeks to go and I feel as if things are turning a bit pear shaped. Hubby is getting a terrible time at work. There attitude towards him has really changed since he handed his notice in. We always thought these people were not just his managers but friends also. Guess you find out who your real friends are when you need them. We haven't been able to secure work yet as we had hoped but people keep telling us it will be ok when we get there but it niggles away at you. Hopefully tomorrow will bring a better day - it better as we are going out with friend for drinks. Sorry for the depressing post :cry::wacko:

We leave next tuesday, i'm a mixture of really excited and really terrified. Cant stop crying when say bye to people, and a constant dread i've forgotten something important to do before we go. Thank god for my endless lists, i wake up at 5am and add things like 'ring council tax to cancel'. Think just got to keep forcussed on the good things about going, and avoid drinking wine as that makes me especially weepy!

Agree with previous post about remembering can keep in touch with people and can always come back!

Reading all these posts about the farewells are making me emotional. Im not really emotional type but when it comes it comes in waves, its my wife who has been doing all the worrying and crying.

We leave on the 7th November heading for Perth. Have lived in dundee, scotland all my days and before now I was always seeing the negatives about the place but now that im going I see alot of places from my childhood that make me smile :biggrin:

Agree with the lists being endless, I just hope we are ready. Finish work at end of October so have 1 full week off. Hoping for some time off before i start work there, say start of December hopefully.

I am super excited one day where i feel i can burst inside and then other days where I have to start a new job and new everything and say goodbyes and it puts me down.

Not long now.......

Archived