London & SE England

golgo13

Hi Guys,

First time poster long time reader here.

Today makes 5 years for us in Australia. Im British & OH is a Melbourne girl.

We will be returning to the UK in 2012 and we are wanting your thoughts on a few places to look into moving to.

We have been living in Melbourne for the last two years and then in Sydney for two years prior to that.

We have both lived in London in the past (I lived in sunny Whitechapel whilst at uni and my partner lived in Battersea).

We are both in our late 20s and early 30s with no kids, we both really like Brighton however we are both keeping in mind that we will need to move to where the work is, we both work in Online Media.

Now not having lived in the UK for almost 6 years is London or the SE still be best place to base yourself for media type roles?

I noticed that the BBC are moving some of their operations to Salford Quays, is this a sign of the times?

Have any recent returnees steered clear of the capital for a quieter or less expensive location?

Or have most of the moves been down to where the work has been?

Hi Guys,

We will be returning to the UK in 2012 and we are wanting your thoughts on a few places to look into moving to.

We have been living in Melbourne for the last two years and then in Sydney for two years prior to that.

We have both lived in London in the past (I lived in sunny Whitechapel whilst at uni and my partner lived in Battersea).

We are both in our late 20s and early 30s with no kids, we both really like Brighton however we are both keeping in mind that we will need to move to where the work is, we both work in Online Media.

Now not having lived in the UK for almost 6 years is London or the SE still be best place to base yourself for media type roles?

I noticed that the BBC are moving some of their operations to Salford Quays, is this a sign of the times?

Have any recent returnees steered clear of the capital for a quieter or less expensive location?

Just driven through Enfield and Cockfosters ...........nice places .....just too busy ....too many cars .....too many people .

Not for me ......maybe somewhere a bit further out ......St Albans looked quite good.

Just driven through Enfield and Cockfosters ...........nice places .....just too busy ....too many cars .....too many people .

Not for me ......maybe somewhere a bit further out ......St Albans looked quite good.

Enfield has some quite nasty gang goings ons, and St Albans is sleepier and more Little Britain than you can shake a stick at (whilst still being horribly expensive) speaking from personal expereince.

From speaking to friends in that sort of thing London is still the place to be, the breadth of opportunities in one place mean I guess it always will be - individual companies etc might base themselves elsewhere, but not all in one place, meaning you are tied to going with that one place really. Unfortunately just horribly horribly expensive (especially until after the games are over), but if you've lived there before you'll be used to it, so nothing new there :) Brighton is just as expensive btw say my friends who moved there from London.

Good luck with everything :)

Brighton & Hove housing is very expensive at the moment, A lot of my friends actually live here and commute to London and back every-day.

Most people are having to move to the surrounding areas to find cheaper housing, If you are interested in Sussex I can list you areas to avoid and sought after areas.

We moved from Hove a few years ago to get out of a flat and live in a house again, We ended up having to live @ 6 miles east of Brighton to get Value for money and more bang for our buck.

Bus services are brilliant and so are the trains so getting about is easy. Although I only get the bus into Brighton once in a blue moon as I prefer to drive.

Enfield has some quite nasty gang goings ons, and St Albans is sleepier and more Little Britain than you can shake a stick at (whilst still being horribly expensive) speaking from personal expereince.

From speaking to friends in that sort of thing London is still the place to be, the breadth of opportunities in one place mean I guess it always will be - individual companies etc might base themselves elsewhere, but not all in one place, meaning you are tied to going with that one place really. Unfortunately just horribly horribly expensive (especially until after the games are over), but if you've lived there before you'll be used to it, so nothing new there :) Brighton is just as expensive btw say my friends who moved there from London.

sorry pixie ......iam from Brum ....so Enfield looked very decent to me :wink::wink:

From my personal experience of having gone to school and living in and around st Albans, for many years, I think you must be talking about a parallel st Albans.....although house prices are ridiculous in both.

• 3 weeks later...

Enfield is a very big place, few relatives live there near Enfield Town and it's great, very convenient, also Southgate is nice and convenient for the tube. What about Edinburgh? We just moved from there and I never thought I'd say it (being English!!) that I loved living in Scotland but it really is a fab city, great opportunities, small enough to get around easy but loads to do. Great for people without kids as loads of restaurants, pubs, festivals and close to Glasgow for the big city feel if you need it. Lots of companies based up there now. Good luck with the move.

Hi Guys,

The BBC move isnt a sign of the times ......SE is still where the money is ......only advice live outside London .....its even busier now

Enfield is a very big place, few relatives live there near Enfield Town and it's great, very convenient, also Southgate is nice and convenient for the tube. What about Edinburgh? We just moved from there and I never thought I'd say it (being English!!) that I loved living in Scotland but it really is a fab city, great opportunities, small enough to get around easy but loads to do. Great for people without kids as loads of restaurants, pubs, festivals and close to Glasgow for the big city feel if you need it. Lots of companies based up there now. Good luck with the move.

i have a confession ......i love Scotland ....the highlands etc .....but i have never been to Edinburgh .....must do it 2012.

Take the family and the dog .......Derbyshire Dales , York and Harrogate , Cumbria , Scotland .....how does that sound ?:wink:

You could always buy our house in Fareham, bang inbetween Portsmouth and Southampton with the coast just a couple of miles away and the South Downs/New Forest a little bit further. An hour and 40 mins to London Waterloo. Great schools nearby too.

Go on you know you want to ! :biggrin::wink:

Guest Tara Branson

London is the place to be, but I would look at living outside and commuting to keep the cost of living down, we are in Surrey, Woking, and have a direct train into London in 25 min, Guildford is nice too and all those surrounding areas

• 3 weeks later...

London's probably a better bet for online media work than Manchester. The BBC still has a big presence here, as does Sky, and there's the whole "Silicon Roundabout" cluster around Old Street.

The downside is that the rental market in London is a complete nightmare. Property prices remain high, and lenders generally want a 20% deposit if you want to buy. So everyone is renting, and so demand and costs have gone up.

What you're also seeing is an influx of foreign money into the prime areas, such as Chelsea, Notting Hill and the like. This has displaced the merely wealthy or into Fulham or Putney, and in turn driven prices up. But it also means that there are parts of London that are substantially (25% plus) more expensive than at the peak of the property boom in 2007.

If you're looking for suggestions for locations, I rate Richmond, Twickenham and Teddington. They're not too far out of town, but they're off the major road arteries so the air quality is a bit better.

I like Brighton, though it's probably a bit far for me to want to commute each day. St. Albans isn't bad (though I haven't visited recently), and somewhere like Windsor or Ascot is an option to the west.

• 2 weeks later...
Brighton & Hove housing is very expensive at the moment, A lot of my friends actually live here and commute to London and back every-day.

Most people are having to move to the surrounding areas to find cheaper housing, If you are interested in Sussex I can list you areas to avoid and sought after areas.

We moved from Hove a few years ago to get out of a flat and live in a house again, We ended up having to live @ 6 miles east of Brighton to get Value for money and more bang for our buck.

Bus services are brilliant and so are the trains so getting about is easy. Although I only get the bus into Brighton once in a blue moon as I prefer to drive.

Would you be able to suggest some good and not so hood areas in Brighton please?

Hi guys,

Sorry for not replying earlier its been absolutely mental with all the planning, packing and moving apartments.

I very much appriciate your suggestions and will also consider NW England to from a cost perspective too.

We are 12 weeks away from returning to the UK, we have settled on Norbury/Tooting in SW since we have found some service appartments there. Initially London will be our base but will also go and visit Bristol as an alternative along with Manchester and Liverpool since we are looking for something more chilled. Went to uni in London 02-05 and loved it, working there might be a different story though but shall find out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived