stopovers for a family of five !

judyq

hi, thought i would pick your lovely brains ! Have been on the net for ages looking at flights and stopovers! Think we may need a few days break before we hit the ground running the other end!

Was wondering if anyone had managed to find a stopover anywhere that wasn't too expensive with a family?

There are five of us but happy to stay in one room if allowed!

Even happy to stay in an airport just a few days chilling before we arrive

any ideas greatly appreciated!

When we came over we stayed in Malaysia. it is a nice place for a family where the weak British pound will go a bit further! We have found it hard to get a hotel room for the four of us so with five just be prepared to have to take two rooms!

Not too sure if you would want to or be able to stay in the airport. We had a stop over and had to stay in an airport hotel and they charged by the hour so for a few days that would be rather expensive.

Malaysia and Singapore are both great for short stops, with Kuala Lumpur being a bit cheaper than Singapore for hotels....but both very clean and organised cities.

Kuala Lumpur has access to coastal areas an hour away in Port Dickson, where you can while away a few days.....the Pan Pacific airport hotel is great but very expensive, the local airport hotels are very basic with not much for kids to do.

Another option is Thailand for a longer stay. That's cheaper still with lots of competition between hotels in the capital, and easy access to local holiday places on AirAsia if you wanted to stay for a week or two. eg.. Chiang Mai has very cheap hotels and is very laid back with lots to do for kids....it's a cheap way to get rid of most of the jetlag.

Bangkok seems to be cheaper for luggage storage if you want to put the work clothes aside for a few weeks.

oh, that is very interesting!! Will keep an eye out for that!!

cheers!

Yup, if you are wanting the excess baggage, 40kg with the likes of Singapore airlines, you can't have a stopover like that. Has to be under a certain amount of hours or some such otherwise you'll be limited to the 23kg or whatever it is now.

If you are looking to stopover I'd go for Thailand as its so cheap once there. And make a mini break of it.

We always prefer to do the straight through as don't think it helps jet lag any at the end of the day. We usually go for a few hours stopover in Singapore and then board our direct flight to Adelaide.

I'd probably go straight through (Maybe with up to 8 hours in Singapore so you can stay in the airport, but still wear the kids out) and book yourselves a 'stop-over ' in your arrival city instead.

That keeps your luggage allowance and means you have a few days to recover, but can also recover knowing you don't have to get back on a plane!

Cancel my earlier suggestion - if you can leave your luggage checked in, go for 12 hours in Singapore and do a quick city tour instead - feels like a stopover but without the hassle of a hotel and luggage :)

** edited to make clear I was talking about my own suggestion! **

Thanks, to be honest we are going off the idea, really do not want to be limited with weight! you could be right about the jet lag, just putting off the inevitable!

Thanks for clarifying

What works for some, doesn't others. Do what you are happy with :) TBH the 40kg luggage would win me over. I like the idea of a mini break once you arrive :cute:

FWIW, if you get a night flight out of London, arrive teatime Singpore time at Changi and then get a nightflight out 4 or so hours later, its plenty of time to kick back, grab a shower and use their computers and internet. If you've younger kids there are play areas, outdoor areas also (easy to get to) and I am sure the kids would be fine. Can also grab a fast food Hungry Jacks (BurgerKing) or a more upmarket meal.

We tend to kick back and when using the showers, there is a lovely lounge area there that is usually quiet. Sofas and good coffee with a computer to sit at if it appeals.

Then you hit the ground running in the morning, around 7-8am in Aus and power on. We usually have a nap early afternoon or before lunch to get us through till bedtime then head to bed for around 9pm and usually then wake around 5am. Within a day or two we are sorted and jet lag is over.

hi, thought i would pick your lovely brains ! Have been on the net for ages looking at flights and stopovers! Think we may need a few days break before we hit the ground running the other end!

Was wondering if anyone had managed to find a stopover anywhere that wasn't too expensive with a family?

There are five of us but happy to stay in one room if allowed!

Even happy to stay in an airport just a few days chilling before we arrive

any ideas greatly appreciated!

Hi we stopped over in Hong Kong for a few days at Disneyland. We stayed at a Disney hotel. About 25mins from the airport and all very easy. A few days there was fun and the girls really enjoyed it.

I rang singapore airlines yesterday and they said it was fine to stop over and the excess baggage allowance is still o.k. He priced up 5 days in hotel and I kept asking about the baggage and he said it was fine.

They have a deal on if you are stopping over - details on their web page and it is very reasonable and even some of the hotel in the low price bracket seem fine - ibis one - kind of like premier inn - you know what you are getting. Although no pool etc but fine if you are sleeping then out most of the day. For 5 you need two rooms. I think one child - the 5th person can stay 'free' in a room. Two rooms not bad if you have one in the family who snores like a wart hog !!

It sounds good :)

They should also have a 'left luggage' facility at Changi airport to avoid having to bring all the cases to the hotel, not sure how much it would cost but could be worth it for the hassle!

Then you could pack one suitcase with some clothes etc for everyone for a couple of days and just take that!

:)

Guest TipsyKoala

Are you really sure you want to stop over in Singapore with 3 children??

It is so hot that sometimes a breath feels like a mouthful of warm wet air!

Also, IMO, there's not much to do in Singapore for children...maybe others would disagree but I know I'm going to go for it and get the kids straight to Oz.

Good Luck for your journey and further adventures!

Just spotted this. We stayed in an apartment (can't remember name but easily found out) in Singapore which was lovely as it had 2 bedrooms (can't cope with sharing with our 2 kids!!), a huge lounge/dining room, balcony and a kitchen so we just cooked our own food, saving a fortune. It was a bit of a walk out of town (5 mins to Orchard Rd) although they had a mini bus and you were able to then get to the excellent bus service to explore. Sentosa Island is a must and just sitting on the sand next to the sea was so lovely. The animal show there is fab as is the cable car and louge. We didn't make the zoo (allegedly the best in the world) unfortunately. Great place all round. We went in July (2010) and it was humid and thundery, but not unbearable.

We flew straight through once and hated it as it was just sooooooo long, but it's personal choice.

Archived