High court rules no to refugee swap.

Guest Guest 47403

quote.

But the High Court ruled that Malaysia did not offer adequate protection for refugees.

These are human beings, the Court was correct.

The UN human rights commissioner has launched a scathing attack on Australia's policy towards "boat people" and its indigenous population.

Navi Pillay said Australia's policy of mandatory detention towards asylum seekers had cast a shadow over its human rights record.

She said that aboriginal people suffered deep hurt and pain because of the government's policies towards them.

So far the Australian government has given no response

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13537669

Guest Guest 47403
quote.

But the High Court ruled that Malaysia did not offer adequate protection for refugees.

These are human beings, the Court was correct.

The UN human rights commissioner has launched a scathing attack on Australia's policy towards "boat people" and its indigenous population.

Navi Pillay said Australia's policy of mandatory detention towards asylum seekers had cast a shadow over its human rights record.

She said that aboriginal people suffered deep hurt and pain because of the government's policies towards them.

So far the Australian government has given no response

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13537669

I agree :shocked::shocked:

It was always going to be looked upon unfavourably by the rest of the world, the whole scheme was probably dreamt up to appease/win voters. Australia seriously needs to look at how it deals with illegal immigrants in a way that is legal, I fully understand most people don't really want them there but they have to be dealt with appropriately.

It was always going to be looked upon unfavourably by the rest of the world, the whole scheme was probably dreamt up to appease/win voters. Australia seriously needs to look at how it deals with illegal immigrants in a way that is legal, I fully understand most people don't really want them there but they have to be dealt with appropriately.

I agree :swoon:

Whilst I agree with most of what you said - these people are asylum seekers not illegal immigrants.

Whilst I agree with most of what you said - these people are asylum seekers not illegal immigrants.

Yep, people seeking a better life from war torn dangerous countries, how are they differebt from poms trying to get to Oz for a better life and better prospects.

Does anyone actually believe that it is the government who is running this circus..come on wake up...the puppets are not running it and to vote them out in election will make no difference as the next puppets will take over the asylum...It is a plan to flood the country with refugees to destroy the Australian culture and flood the job market with cheap labour/ slaves...boot the scroungers out now ..I dont want a cent of my tax money going to them..

Guest Sir Les Patterson
Does anyone actually believe that it is the government who is running this circus..come on wake up...the puppets are not running it and to vote them out in election will make no difference as the next puppets will take over the asylum...It is a plan to flood the country with refugees to destroy the Australian culture and flood the job market with cheap labour/ slaves...boot the scroungers out now ..I dont want a cent of my tax money going to them..

Can I have some of what you're smoking :wacko:

Yep, people seeking a better life from war torn dangerous countries, how are they differebt from poms trying to get to Oz for a better life and better prospects.

They are different in that they do it illegally, don't spend thousands of dollars trying to get their visa, spending months getting paperwork together, stamped in triplicate, don't have medicals, don't sit in limbo, maybe for years, to find out if they are going to be accepted.

It's not always the case that people from the UK are accepted either, not by a long way. You only have to read a few posts on here to see how dissapointing/devastating it is when the decision is not what you expect.

I had a taxi back from the airport last week and an Afghani taxi driver who had been here 8 years.

I asked him if he was enjoying it here and he said "it's OK but home is home". When I said I loved it here and had no feelings to even go back to the UK even for a holiday, he was amazed.

What amazed him even more though as we continued to chat he said "coming from England though we would have been accepted straight away, as it was easy to get in from there".

When I told him the course we had to go through and explained that it was no different coming from the UK than anywhere else, the points criteria, having quals ratified, medicals and then having to wait to see if successful. He genuinely didn't know and thought British people could just come and go as they pleased.

Maybe nobody had chatted with him before??

When we emigrated in 92 there was a queue at the Manchester embassy for people applying for emigration. The first step was you got a form with a few check boxes. The embassy staff told people to sit and fill that bit in and if they didn't reach 95 points, don't even bother applying as you wouldn't make it and waste thousands of pounds trying.

The look of dissappointment on some peoples faces, tears even, when they realised that 95 points was unattainable.

Also, if you get the knockback in England you don't have lawyers taking up your case for you, appeal after appeal going to court, EU court of Human Rights saying how badly done by you are, amnesty International, refugee advocates keeping the story in the news, journalists who are against the governments stand keeping it in the news.

No, you just have to take the decision handed down and move on with your life.

Yep as you say its true we do not know what to do, maybe we should just follow the UK and let them stay and give them everything they want.

At least we try to stop them here in Aus. Lawyers are the winners here its in their interests to take the cases as we pay for their legal fees.

Human rights is brought up if we try to change our laws.

Its a no win situation and no gov can sort it.

Kernow, you say the incompetant PM will be gone soon, and then what the next incompetant takes over and nothing changes it just goes on and on...They are incompetant on purpose...havent you noticed how nothing ever changes, just gets worse..they are all puppets..trained to be useless...They are all in it together...

Its not about the government getting its way, the gov cannot get its way whoever is in power as we are part of the United Nations and today in the news they are saying:

"The UN's refugee agency says it won't be a part of any offshore processing deals with PNG or Nauru, after the High Court scuttled the asylum deal with Malaysia. "

I must say that I am pretty disgusted with my fellow Aussies these days the comments about our PM are awful. I personally do not know the lady or the opposition leader so even if I disagree with them I do not feel the need to play the man personally. If this was happening in a normal work place she would have a case for bullying.

I also am upset that people believe everything that is written in the papers and do not seem to actually research the subject and see the problems that exist with illegal migration.

On the one hand people es-pound that they are not racist at all and then come out with all these comments which are not racist parse but the meaning behind them is in my view.

I am against the boats coming but not because of who they are but how they are coming and the queue jumping aspect of them. They are taking the places of people who are following the proper channels to get here.

Only my opinion so who cares

I also am upset that people believe everything that is written in the papers and do not seem to actually research the subject and see the problems that exist with illegal migration.

Only my opinion so who cares

That's a bit rich coming from you. Your last post about the UKs handling of refugees was classic Daily Mail.. and lacking any facts. :biglaugh:

I still feel that genuine refugees would stop at the first friendly country they arrived in and seek refuge there. When you see folk from Afghanistan on boats - hardly a near neighbour of Australia - you have to think that their purpose is getting in to Australia rather than getting out of Afghanistan.

The same is true for the shanty towns that have built up at the French side of the channel tunnel - why don't they seek refuge in France?

One presumes because French law makes France a less attractive proposition? I don't understand why the UK and Australian governments just don't follow whatever example it is that makes France unattractive - surely it can't be the French? :wubclub:

France is harder on them I suppose and make it more difficult for them. Just like Aus tries to do.

I stand by my original post that the UK is too soft on them.

I also stand by my second post that says these illegals take the place of genuine refugees. The more illegals we get in Aus the less genuine ones get to come.

Despite the post who refers me to the Daily Mail I got my information last year when I spent three months in the UK and it was quite apparent what was happening there.

I stated on here on 26 February 2011 that she will be gone by November, looks very much like it is on the cards now!

I must say though I would miss her, as she gives me many reasons to have a good laugh. All our friends have agreed to a street party when it happens.

Job has been a poison chalice since the election, no clear winner etc. Will not be any different with other side as still the same Senate to deal with. Wonder who labour will come up with if she goes. No-one comes to my mind.

I would not have a clue if we went to an election any time in the near future, think might have to be an ass.

Job has been a poison chalice since the election, no clear winner etc. Will not be any different with other side as still the same Senate to deal with. Wonder who labour will come up with if she goes. No-one comes to my mind.

I would not have a clue if we went to an election any time in the near future, think might have to be an ass.

But at least if the Libs came in they would come in with a mandate, not like Julia change the rules. If they have a mandate and the senate is obstinate, that will give them the power to call a double dissolution.

But at least if the Libs came in they would come in with a mandate, not like Julia change the rules. If they have a mandate and the senate is obstinate, that will give them the power to call a double dissolution.

They would not be able to call a dissolution just because the greens voted against a policy, it has to be a certain policy. We had minority party in keeping the Senate honest for years and years, it was only John Howard's libs that managed to get control of the Senate it just usually does not happen.

What happens is bill gets passed in lower house goes to the Senate then the minority parties arjy arjy bargy and get it altered to suit.

Most Aussies like this because it gives them two bites of the cherry.

I have found that most young people are voting green these days hence the increase in popularity of the party. Because of work choices and other policies which see young people isolated and a lot enemployed they look to something new.

Lets face it our under employment in Aus is very high and the unemployment figures do not take in account this under employment and also a lot who do not register as unemployed, i e mum who cannot find a job or young ones supported by parents.

We have been very lucky in Aus but a lot are not so lucky and this is not just now I have seen this the whole time we have been here.

I stated on here on 26 February 2011 that she will be gone by November, looks very much like it is on the cards now!

I must say though I would miss her, as she gives me many reasons to have a good laugh. All our friends have agreed to a street party when it happens.

Your preference would be Tony Abbott then? A man who is afraid to get in front of a camera and be asked questions and has to have a radio presenter speak for him in Canberra. Alan Jones is a dangerous person eh.

I'm no fan of Julia Gillard but out of the two of them she is at least trying to change things and put policies in place. He seems to have no policies other than to be negative about whatever the government comes up with.

Always easier being in opposition.

Your preference would be Tony Abbott then? A man who is afraid to get in front of a camera and be asked questions and has to have a radio presenter speak for him in Canberra. Alan Jones is a dangerous person eh.

I'm no fan of Julia Gillard but out of the two of them she is at least trying to change things and put policies in place. He seems to have no policies other than to be negative about whatever the government comes up with.

Always easier being in opposition.

You assumed wrong.Right party, wrong man.