Having a VERY hard time living here, anyone else had this problem?

jonathancowen

Could you move closer to Brisbane? There are lots of gyms etc here, cycling groups (although be prepared to go out really early doors, that's how everyone survives) - still no surf though, but you may find more like minded people about. There could also be more of an opening in terms of work too. People are more friendly here in Brisbane, less set in their ways maybe. It might help you to be nearer a city though?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why am I back?

My wife moved to Brisbane when she was 8 and wanted to live near her parents.

I visited, moved to and returned to oz only for her.

Stupidist thing I have ever done, think I should put my own happyness first in future as I'm not the happy little booy she met and lived with up until 19th April 2011 :-(

one hesitates to suggest counselling because it is usually trotted out as the trite solution but maybe you do need to discuss your feelings with an impartial third party mediator and try to achieve some sort of compromise. First question you need to clearly have the answer to is is this the woman you want to spend the rest of your days with? If the answer is yes then, as a couple, you have to figure out which one of you is going to be the sacrificial lamb as your needs are worlds apart and then you can begin on the compromise situation with both of you "giving". It might be moving interstate or it might be her funding your regular trips for a sanity hit.

i really can relate - I lost "me" in my last 10 years in Australia and I didn't realise just quite how bad it was for me until I didn't live there any more. Situational depression is very real and though you can use CBT or ACT strategies to help you get through every day it isn't a "real" life. Having at least a sense of compromise also helps! I'd suggest looking at Canberra if you are a bodyguard type - and the weather is better and you can see the bush from anywhere - but it is still Australia, unfortunately!

good luck, sounds like you are going to need it!