garage conversions in perth ?

jgt

Hi all, wonder if anyone in perth can help, i have just got my visa on a 176 as solid plasterer,I have been running my own business converting garages into rooms such as playrooms, office or tv room etc. This is is successful although i have always wanted to go to oz. Does anyone think that there is a potential need for this type of work in the city area. As real estate is so expensive an additional room instead of a garage is always a plus.My mates think im crackers to sell up and go but im determined to and would like opinions please.

Guest guest30038

Lots of conversions here in Brizzy. Don't know about others states but before you can convert here, the floor needs to be raised, usually by just concreting. garages have a step so that in an event of a fule leakage, it can't penetrate living areas. Why they need to be raised, when converted to accomodation, I don't know, but they do. Probably because they are at garden level and to prevent flooding from the driveway.

Lots of conversions here in Brizzy. Don't know about others states but before you can convert here, the floor needs to be raised, usually by just concreting. garages have a step so that in an event of a fule leakage, it can't penetrate living areas. Why they need to be raised, when converted to accomodation, I don't know, but they do. Probably because they are at garden level and to prevent flooding from the driveway.

it is usually to incorporate insulation beneath the floor, thus bringing floor same level as existing into the house. I know property is larger their in oz and not the barret boxes we have in the uk, however i thought that in the city where space is a premium and property more expensive expensive homes might need additional room,of course i never gave it a thought of needed shade area for vehicle,i have a thriving garage conversion business in the uk because of different living etc. thanx for the tip.Im looking for work ideas etc that i currently do. All opinions appreciated, kind regards

Guest guest30038
it is usually to incorporate insulation beneath the floor, thus bringing floor same level as existing into the house. I know property is larger their in oz and not the barret boxes we have in the uk, however i thought that in the city where space is a premium and property more expensive expensive homes might need additional room,of course i never gave it a thought of needed shade area for vehicle,i have a thriving garage conversion business in the uk because of different living etc. thanx for the tip.Im looking for work ideas etc that i currently do. All opinions appreciated, kind regards

No. it's not for insulation as the original garage floor slab is the same thickness as the slab holding the house, just lower, as it's still supporting the house.

What I had done with mine was to convert the garage on a low set 3 bed,to another ensuite double bedroom and then go upwards through the roof, (due to not wanting to take up the graden by extending outwards) to create a master bedroom above, effectively making it a 5 (2 ensuite) bed high set, albeit with only one huge room above. This projected out over the drive supported by brick pillars and then acted as the roof to a car port...........the cars being parked between the pillars. At a later date, as we saved the money, I enclosed the brick pillars with fibro and a roller door, effectively getting my garage back.

Would agree with what's said about Perth and the conversions, most people use their garages, also the outdoor living spaces are often large - ours is like having an extra two rooms at the back fo the house.

What about Rendering? I know a lot of people with older houses (us included) are thinking of having this done to give a slightly more modern look to the outside rather than brick.

Would agree with what's said about Perth and the conversions, most people use their garages, also the outdoor living spaces are often large - ours is like having an extra two rooms at the back fo the house.

What about Rendering? I know a lot of people with older houses (us included) are thinking of having this done to give a slightly more modern look to the outside rather than brick.

hi thanx for the replies, here in the uk you are under obigation (regulations maydiffer in aus) to insert 80ml of kingspan into the floor ,as such by the time you lay a timber floor over you have constructed a 100 ml floor, any surplus space has a screed laid so as to ensure the two floors marry up.It would appear that many are living in under insulated houses out there.I posted a forum inintially askinfg thoughts on rendering over brickwork AND incorporationg an insulated slab underneath the render this seemed to get a more favorable response so i may choose to do something similar.Thanx for all replies

Guest guest30038
hi thanx for the replies, here in the uk you are under obigation (regulations maydiffer in aus) to insert 80ml of kingspan into the floor ,as such by the time you lay a timber floor over you have constructed a 100 ml floor, any surplus space has a screed laid so as to ensure the two floors marry up.It would appear that many are living in under insulated houses out there.I posted a forum inintially askinfg thoughts on rendering over brickwork AND incorporationg an insulated slab underneath the render this seemed to get a more favorable response so i may choose to do something similar.Thanx for all replies

No timber floors here in Qld in garages mate.........even after conversion......... just a concrete lift and then carpet or tiles. With regard to rendering........... nearly all the new townhouses being built here are of fibro with rendering over. The only brick (breeze block) is the dividing and end walls. It's putting brickies out of work and the annoying thing is, they charge as much for fibro build as brick.

• 1 year later...
Guest looking99

Hello JGT.

I have been looking everywhere for someone to do exactly what you describe and been TOTALLY frustrated. The one guy who advertises charges some insane amount of money pricing him out of the market. All the information that you have been given about Perth may be factual however it should not hold you back - its like anything new - originally there are a few pioneers and a lot of nay sayers...this then reverses when it becomes the 'norm'.

So. The flip side is ....you have a brilliant opportunity to work in a non-crowded market space! I need to get mine done ASAP - and ANYONE who can assist in the Perth/ Mandurah area - Please let me know I'd be most appreciative (I really liked the work done by the person who went up/put in pillars and then garaged that....Clever!! ...now can you help me please?)....

The Perth situation at the moment is....low interest rates...still a mining boom and skill shortages....but since we have prohibitive stamp duty to pay on buying a property - I know that renovation is UP significantly at the moment and also thanks to a very successful renovation show called 'the block'.

So JGT - come on over and do my place please...or anyone local here who can help?

Guest looking99

Hello Guest 30038

I'd love to please have a chat to you about your work with your garage as I have been wanting to do something similar. Can I give you a call for a chat please? I'm in the Perth area.

Cheers

Hi looking99, thanx for your interest, i am in the process of moving over to your area and would like you to update me with any info you might find.Upon my initial post i didnt receive an entirely positive response.I have since been out to perth and property prices,cost of living are an ideal combination for this idea to work so i will be looking into it a bit more when i get there. In fact i was talking to a builder who has started loft conversions in perth on single stories etc, so sometimes its just a case of re educating people, i will give it some serious consideration.As yo urealize people are people and garages tend to amass all your bric a brac etc, so an extra room is always a bonus, thanks for your support, Jules

Hi looking99, thanx for your interest, i am in the process of moving over to your area and would like you to update me with any info you might find.Upon my initial post i didnt receive an entirely positive response.I have since been out to perth and property prices,cost of living are an ideal combination for this idea to work so i will be looking into it a bit more when i get there. In fact i was talking to a builder who has started loft conversions in perth on single stories etc, so sometimes its just a case of re educating people, i will give it some serious consideration.As yo urealize people are people and garages tend to amass all your bric a brac etc, so an extra room is always a bonus, thanks for your support, Jules

I understand that people might need the extra space, loft conversion would be good but I asked around a few people at a party yesterday and none of them would sacrifice their garage for extra living space.

I can't see a need for it in WA, houses tend to be quite large here, 4 bed 2 bath is the norm, and a need to park your car in the shade due to the heat.

There a lot of 3x1 houses that could be easily extended into the garage when it's under the main roof. I don't know how much it happens, but we've looked at some 3 bed houses with a view to enclose.

you would need to have a brickie as well to brick up the walls.

Hi all, wonder if anyone in perth can help, i have just got my visa on a 176 as solid plasterer,I have been running my own business converting garages into rooms such as playrooms, office or tv room etc. This is is successful although i have always wanted to go to oz. Does anyone think that there is a potential need for this type of work in the city area. As real estate is so expensive an additional room instead of a garage is always a plus.My mates think im crackers to sell up and go but im determined to and would like opinions please.

hi mate. i think you are onto a winner with that,i know it will be probably be a new concept to the ozzys but i think it will work.i do loads of garage conversions and loft conversions in the uk and will be trying to push for loft conversions when we get to perth in jan. ive allways worked for myself and am looking to start my own company again when we get to oz ! good luck fella.you WILL make it work!:biggrin:

You would want to have a serious talk to an estate agent to see if a garage conversion would devalue your house. You may be better adding an extra room behind the garage.

Loft conversions sound like a great idea - but you would need some fantastic insulation. I'm sure it could be done, but I wouldn't recomend putting bedrooms up there.

There are reasons why Australians do things differently. It's also why you don't get many convertible cars.

Can't wait for someone to try and start building conservatories!

Hi all and thanx for feedback,(yo benny blu boy) I only do garage conversions here in the Uk, fortunately as an all rounder i do all the work ,(something puzzling to the Aussis)

There is a mind set your right, here in the UK no man would give up his garage, now due to moving costs, extended step families, kids not leaving home, its very rare to find someone who uses their garage unless their called kevin,malcom,etc. I suppose the overhang for the car may be utilized in oz, theirs always something to do to your home that adds room.Also when i convert garages here It always adds value and saleability.Living space is premium.Because of high housing costs i imagine similar i perth, will have to see. Good luck benny blu boy. im hoping to be their in Feb.Il be driving a pink cadillac. With furry dice, Private plate. KEV.1

• 8 months later...
No. it's not for insulation as the original garage floor slab is the same thickness as the slab holding the house, just lower, as it's still supporting the house.

What I had done with mine was to convert the garage on a low set 3 bed,to another ensuite double bedroom and then go upwards through the roof, (due to not wanting to take up the graden by extending outwards) to create a master bedroom above, effectively making it a 5 (2 ensuite) bed high set, albeit with only one huge room above. This projected out over the drive supported by brick pillars and then acted as the roof to a car port...........the cars being parked between the pillars. At a later date, as we saved the money, I enclosed the brick pillars with fibro and a roller door, effectively getting my garage back.

sorry it IS for insulation!!, im speaking from the uk perspective not the aus one, so your wrong from this end but right from yours,:wink:

• 9 months later...

Hi All

i am a builder plumber from the UK looking to start doing conversions here in Perth.... I work for a building company at the moment in joondalup doing double glazing, kitchens, solar & plumbing if you would like some advice and a price for any building work let me know and I will be happy to pop round....

Thanks

Dave

Archived