Help needed- Graduate teacher turned down for SA visa

meme78

Writing on behalf of my good friend- has just paid nearly 2000 quid to an agent to be told 'no' by SA for their state sponsorship program. She has been teaching primary in the UK for 8 years, holds a first class BA degree but went through the Graduate Teacher Training program, not the PGCE. Anyone/ any teachers out there know of a way around this, or if any schools are offering 457's at the moment? She is massively disappointed and rightly so- the agent did not at any stage inform her that she must have completed 4 years (not 3) higher ed in order to apply for the SA visa. Thanks all.

Its four years, both my children did four years.

Also primary teachers are not in short supply these days unless your friend wants to live in a rural area, outback etc. Have seen many posts from primary teachers coming here looking for work and being disappointed.

As the schools control their own funding they tend to go for graduate teachers as they are cheaper to employ.

Contract work is the norm too, permanent employment has to be earned by doing remote work.

thanks for all your replies- have checked out the SA teaching registration board and it's very clear about their 4 year rule- why on earth did this migration agent not check!?! Does anyone know how you might go about finding out about rural schools in need of primary teachers as she is open to location?

the agent told her she needs just one more year of higher ed- as she is not allowed to do the PGCE (as she is already a qualified teacher) do you know if doing a masters would go towards her time in higher ed?

Not sure about the MEd but you would think it might be an option - they do get very thingie about the number of hours you spend on prac placements.

Petals is right though, not that much call for primary teachers these days, there are plenty out of work.

Writing on behalf of my good friend- has just paid nearly 2000 quid to an agent to be told 'no' by SA for their state sponsorship program. She has been teaching primary in the UK for 8 years, holds a first class BA degree but went through the Graduate Teacher Training program, not the PGCE. Anyone/ any teachers out there know of a way around this, or if any schools are offering 457's at the moment? She is massively disappointed and rightly so- the agent did not at any stage inform her that she must have completed 4 years (not 3) higher ed in order to apply for the SA visa. Thanks all.

Was your agent a registered migration agent?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.... I am GTP trained and know of your frustrations..... however.... I didn't give up and have eventually been granted a visa (475) as a vocational teacher as I have experience in teaching 11-18yrs. I know this wont help your wife... but whilst you sort out your REFUND from the dodgy agent... ring around other agents, as some are more knowledgeable than others and they may find another way in for you. Another option is for your wife to do the PGDE in Oz... although its expensive.... and you must study for 2 years to qualify for a visa... and you are not guaranteed this at the end. Although I do know someone who it worked out for. Don't give up on your dream..... after nearly 3 years of trying... we move out there in October !!! :)

Hey,just to let you know that i too have been teaching for about 15 yrs now and was interested in moving to oz.I contacted an agent and was determined that we should make the move and applied for a 475 visa as a vocational teacher in 2009. during that time things were moving fast for a 475 visa but unfortunately it has been a roller coaster for me and am still awaiting for my visa.Well, since my agent told me it would not happen in 2010-2011 on her advise i continued my further studies and did by B.ED which is a teacher's degree.Now, I am qualified and hope things move for me .Contact an agent and see how she/he can work it out for you. Al the best.

• 6 months later...
Guest siforestiero
Not sure about the MEd but you would think it might be an option - they do get very thingie about the number of hours you spend on prac placements.

Surely this requirement (45 days, I think) should easily be covered by the fact that you're in a school the whole time when doing the GTP???? I'm looking into trying to use the credits from my GTPs PGCertT to complete the other two-thirds of a Masters qualification in teaching as a way to 'top-up' to gain migration status, but not sure if this is a go-er.

=======================

could I also refer you guys to my thread here : http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/143553-help-needed-teacher-uk-struggling-profession-criteria.html Any help greatly appreciated.

Guest siforestiero
.... have eventually been granted a visa (475) as a vocational teacher as I have experience in teaching 11-18yrs....... Don't give up on your dream..... after nearly 3 years of trying... we move out there in October !!! :)

At last!!! A little chink of light at the end of the tunnel! :)

Could I ask what "Vocational Teacher" involves particularly?

=======================

could I also refer you guys to my thread here : http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migrat...-criteria.html Any help greatly appreciated.

At last!!! A little chink of light at the end of the tunnel! :)

Could I ask what "Vocational Teacher" involves particularly?

=======================

could I also refer you guys to my thread here : http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migrat...-criteria.html Any help greatly appreciated.

Hiya,

I taught at Secondary school as a Food Tech teacher, but also taught BTEC Hospitality to the older students. Vocational studies are usually 'work related' studies... like Hairdressing, Beauty, Bricklaying, Business and in my case Hospitality, therefore I was able to apply for a vocational teachers visa. Hope that helps.

Dobbsy :)