Car seats in Australia - What you need to know

I'm confused by this, specifically if the likely intro of isofix will help me in anyway?

I've not yet bought a UK car seat for a newborn, but will be moving to aus next year. I was looking at a maxi cosi cabriofix.

Is there anything I can buy that will help the move legally and save me buying two car seats.....or do i have to bu a uk one, then buy an aus one or arrival?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm confused by this, specifically if the likely intro of isofix will help me in anyway?

I've not yet bought a UK car seat for a newborn, but will be moving to aus next year. I was looking at a maxi cosi cabriofix.

Is there anything I can buy that will help the move legally and save me buying two car seats.....or do i have to bu a uk one, then buy an aus one or arrival?

No imported or non Aus approved car seat is legal to use in Australia. If you wish to use a UK tested, rated and bought car seat in Australia it will be an illegal car seat. It will come down to your personal choice as to if you choose to do this, not anything else. As to the implications if you are stopped and checked (it does happen in Aus as they don't have MOT"s like we do in the UK and police do spot checks on cars to find defects etc) or in the event of an accident, only you can decide on what car seat you prefer to use. Fines can be issued and points put on a licence for illegal car seats.

Maxi Cosi are in Aus but have a limited range. They are under another brand name also iirc, Dorel I think it is but there is also another brand name they use. Aus infant carriers are very different to UK ones. They are called capsules (see first post in thread with all the info on the different stages).

Atm Isofix is not used in Aus. It has been passed and approved to be introduced but don't expect it inside of the next year, more likely it'll be a couple of years off yet before its really in the system and being used.

Adding - If your baby is only going to be in an infant carrier before you move to Aus then you could always then move up to the next stage car seat and keep it rear facing till the limits are reached (Aus seats now tend to go on height not weight). Rear facing in younger children is generally considered safer and there are a few options for babies from 6 months to age 18 months/2 or so (usually height related) coming on to the market now in Aus to allow the child to rear face past the baby stage. So if you have an infant carrier in the UK and buy the next stage one in Aus so long as your baby is big enough and you keep them rear facing rather than turning forward, which the Aus law allows from 6 months (personally I find that worrying and am an advocate of rear facing for as long as possible for safety reasons) you should be fine.

Thanks for such a fast reply.

I had hoped the intro of isofix might help but clearly not. I take it the same is true in reverse, an aussie capsule isn't legal for use in the UK?

I think I will just have to accept we're not going to get much use from a uk carrier before moving, but will hopefully time it so age/height wise the new aussie purchase lasts a good few months.

I had hoped the intro of isofix might help but clearly not. I take it the same is true in reverse, an aussie capsule isn't legal for use in the UK?

I think I will just have to accept we're not going to get much use from a uk carrier before moving, but will hopefully time it so age/height wise the new aussie purchase lasts a good few months.

An Aus capsule will be useless in a UK car as they use a top tether install to fix it into the car. And UK cars don't have the tether points.

If you move over any time after your little one is about 6-9 months you would be looking at the next stage car seat which will last to around age 4. Same as in the UK.

Why don't you use freecycle to try get a baby car seat for the short term. We were fortunate the people we got ours off knew the history. I guess it's up to you how comfortable you are taking people's word for it. Freecycle saved us a tonne of money with our first and we'll now be using loads of that stuff again for our second. Although not the car seats now we're in Aus!

An Aus capsule will be useless in a UK car as they use a top tether install to fix it into the car. And UK cars don't have the tether points.

Even if you had the tether points it still wouldn't be legal to use because it doesn't have the correct EU safety approval and is therefore deemed to be unsafe. It's exactly the same issue as with using a UK seat in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...
US seats don't meet the Australian regulations either and therefore are technically illegal as well. Many people do choose to use illegal European and American seats in order to keep their children rear-facing up to 4yrs+

how these people get away with it? my 16 month old is front facing at the moment.

how these people get away with it? my 16 month old is front facing at the moment.

Its peoples personal choice. They make an informed decision. People do get caught out for using non Aus approved car seats. Most of the time it seems to occur when police stop cars for spot checks to go over their road worthiness (no MOT in Aus, so police spot checks are far more normal and they can deem your car unsafe or some such).

I'm a parent who chose extended rear facing for my son till he turned 4 a while back and outgrew his car seat. I did this in the UK. I feel strongly about it for safety reasons and had we been in Aus I'd have had to make a decision about if we broke the law or not regarding using a non Aus approved car seat. Thankfully we were not but many parents in Aus (Aussies and people from overseas alike) choose to extend rear face because of the increased safety aspect for children to age 4 or so. Slowly Aus is catching up but the lack of ERF options don't give parents much choice atm. So they decide between legal or not legal.

Ultimately, people read this thread they can get the general gist that only Aus approved car seats are legal to use in Aus. After that, what they choose to do with that information is up to them. I just did my best to try to give people as much info as possible about car seats in Aus and to help provide the relavent info.

I think if your child is forward facing now and you are happy with that then there is no advantage for you to continue using your US seat illegally. Just buy an Australian forward facing seat when you get there.

So, I bought 2 car seats this weekend. It has the right standard AS/NZS label on them. It has all the lovely tether things. But it's wasted on my second hand car which is European make and has no tether points on it. And yes, I bought this car in Australia. Alas... I have just spent over $200 for the same car seats (apart from the required label that is) I threw away back In the UK. I do not have an issue with "when in Rome", I just dislike wastage of resources (perfectly good seats) and money.

Rant over :)

So, I bought 2 car seats this weekend. It has the right standard AS/NZS label on them. It has all the lovely tether things. But it's wasted on my second hand car which is European make and has no tether points on it. And yes, I bought this car in Australia. Alas... I have just spent over $200 for the same car seats (apart from the required label that is) I threw away back In the UK. I do not have an issue with "when in Rome", I just dislike wastage of resources (perfectly good seats) and money.

Aren't you required to fit tether points to imported cars before they are road legal?

I totally agree. But of course, the regulations aren't about child safety so much as to protect Australian manufacturers from competition.

Installing tether points is pretty straightforward as I understand it. I am sure you can find someone to do this so your car seats can be installed safely. Check round local mechanics and garages.

I totally agree. But of course, the regulations aren't about child safety so much as to protect Australian manufacturers from competition.

Lol, I couldn't possible comment.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I have now exchanged the booster seats to ones without the tether straps which now make them legal!

I was intending on taking our car seats out when we go to Perth for our 12 month old and 5 year old. Thanks to this thread I now realise there is no point! I was trying to save money and was going to at least take the booster seat out rather than paying hefty hire charges when we hire a car. Has anyone got a link for an easy to locate store in perth that we can go to when we get there to buy a couple of seats for a reasonable amount? Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Tabbys,

I know Target sell them, although not certain how 'reasonable' a price they are. Just thought it's a big brand you'd come across easily when you arrive and they are generally good value for things.

Thanks for the info x

• 1 month later...
I may have found the answer to my own question....

From the Singapore Airlines website ...

The use of booster seats is not permitted. However, you can use approved car-type child seats and FAA-approved child harness.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/travelling-with-children/

I had never heard of these harnesses, I found a website that says they are suitable for a child weighing 22-44 lbs. Cant weight my son now cause he's asleep but If he's 22 lbs by the time he's 13 months this seems waaaaaaaaay easier than looking at car seat and carrying them. Better start fattening him up :biggrin:

http://kidsflysafe.com/buy-now/

EDIT: Just found out you can only use these harnesses when you are in the back seat of a particular sectoin so the strap is not blocking the tv screen of the person behind you...

These seats are usually the ones with limited recline and are near the toilets and galleys so can be quite noisy..... Hmmm what to do

We've used one of the Child Restraint Harnesses. It cost us £50 on amazon (now gone up to £70) and it was a godsend when we hit the worst turbuence I have ever experienced. My 3 (then 2) year old was held down securely and was also secure on take off and landing. Unfortunately ours got packed into the shipping container by accident and is now on its way to Perth. However, Qatar Airways will provide them free to anybody with toddlers for the duration of the flight. You have to give them 48 hours notice. I've booked 2 and its saved me a fortune. While the 3 year old will be too big, it will be great to be able to keep my renegade two year old under control.

Interestingly we used them on Emirates last year and while doing 5 flights to and from (and across Australia) we sat in a variety of different places on the plane. In no case did the harness block the TV screen or the table of the person behind. We fitted it before take-off (generally before the people behind had even sat down) and they weren't even aware it was there.

Have updated first post also with this information

**UPDATED CREP RESULTS JAN 2013** CREP have released their new test results. Please be aware they used additional criteria so some car seats star safety ratings have changed.

Car seat safety test findings from CREP (Child Restraint Evaluation Program)

This is the body that tests car seats on the Australian market. It has safety ratings for all types of seats. Click on the appropriate age group to view the results. Be aware some of these car seats are no longer available and newer models have been brought out. Also they are not the be all and end all in terms of testing and you should always take into account other information, test results and so on also.

New CREP ratings Jan 2013 - http://www.crep.com.au/crep-results.php

Can anybody recommend any websites which are good for buying car seats at a reasonable price?

There are a number. I'd suggest trying in store and then if you can find them cheaper online, ordering them that way. Be aware that there can sometimes be a wait for delivery. If you need them immediately or within a couple of days its probably best to buy in store.m

http://www.babyland.com.au/

http://www.kidspot.com.au (to help find stores)

http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/

http://shop.target.com.au/baby/travel-transport/car-seats

You are probably going to have to use Google and refine a search to find stores local to you. Try using the city/town in Aus you are in. Plenty of local sellers I am sure and you can then go and see what fits and so on.

Archived