Car seats in Australia - What you need to know

Guest Alice2
We bought all new car seats on our way from the airport - always a nearby Kmart when you need one! Got 2 x Booster seats for about $20 ish each and 2 x High back booster styles for the littler kiddies which were more expensive.

Car hire company offered car seats for the duration of the rental which would've cost more than the cost of the car!

You don't want to drag your car seats all the way from the UK to get pulled over one day by an enthusiastic copper and fined mucho $!

So, UK booster seats are not ok either? How is that possible when it is simply a seat which makes the child taller and is not fixed to any part of the car (not talking about the high backed ones, just simply the seat). Are oz booster sets different that they can be fixed to the car?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about booster seats for the 7-10 year olds? What is the law on that? Sorry if someone has asked this already as i haven't read through the whole thread. Can't find by reference to it on the official website. Thanks

Please read the first post. It explains everything. UK booster seats will not be legal as Aus law means ALL car seats have to be installed using a top tether (highback seats this applies to). UK car seats don't use there nor have they been passed by Aus standards to use.

Aus car seats go up to about age 7-8. They do not go to age 12 like some UK seats.

If you read the CREP link from the first post it has all the info in car seats and you can read what age/size they will go up to.

So everywhere, UK and Australia advises not to buy a 2nd hand car seat in case it's been dropped or compromised but hiring one that's been in and out of numerous cars and installed repeatedly is ok all of a sudden is it ?

Very strange.

I'm not arguing about it. Someone asked about hiring, I gave them a link.

Hiring in Aus is allowed and it's up to the person hiring to find out how the system works and the assurances of the car seat being in damaged etc.

So, UK booster seats are not ok either? How is that possible when it is simply a seat which makes the child taller and is not fixed to any part of the car (not talking about the high backed ones, just simply the seat). Are oz booster sets different that they can be fixed to the car?

They are being phased out (like in many other places) by the manufacturers. They are the same in Aus and UK afaik but most decent car seat manufacturers no longer sell them. I cannot recall off the top of my head if they are or will be illegal to use in Aus (have to wait till I get home to computer). ATM I think sit on boosters are legal but cannot comment on importing from UK as tbh I don't think the blurb covered it.

When I get home I'll try to find the info.

Hi,

We're going to be moving to Australia soon (hopefully) and have a heavy 8 month old who is around 21lb and a very light 3 year old who is around 28lb, obviously we would prefer to keep the baby rear facing but I don't know if that's possible with his weight? Would you recommend a car seat for them both?

Many thanks x

Hi,

We're going to be moving to Australia soon (hopefully) and have a heavy 8 month old who is around 21lb and a very light 3 year old who is around 28lb, obviously we would prefer to keep the baby rear facing but I don't know if that's possible with his weight? Would you recommend a car seat for them both?

Many thanks x

Many Aus car seat manufacturers have height markers these days so its not weight based or only to a degree.

There are good options for both but am not at home ATM to post links to seats etc. Drop me a PM and I'll reply with some links for you in the next few days.

Guest Alice2
They are being phased out (like in many other places) by the manufacturers. They are the same in Aus and UK afaik but most decent car seat manufacturers no longer sell them. I cannot recall off the top of my head if they are or will be illegal to use in Aus (have to wait till I get home to computer). ATM I think sit on boosters are legal but cannot comment on importing from UK as tbh I don't think the blurb covered it.

When I get home I'll try to find the info.

Thanks snifter. That would be great. Much appreciated. The oz website deals with children up to 7 year old for a certain weight. My son is 10 and is over that weight but we prefer he uses a booster cos he is not as tall as his peers. The website does not cover this. He is legal to not use a car seat according to these guidelines but is he now illegal if he uses a UK booster seat?

Are Australian booster seats tethered? I am talking about a UK Group 3 booster seat like this : http://www.mothercare.com/booster-seats-%28group-3%29/car_booster,default,sc.html

(sorry, am i allowed to post such links...?)

I'm not arguing about it. Someone asked about hiring, I gave them a link.

Hiring in Aus is allowed and it's up to the person hiring to find out how the system works and the assurances of the car seat being in damaged etc.

That wasn't meant to be argumentative, more a statement of surprise that hiring would be considered a safe option.

I also discovered that in a taxi no car seat is required at all over the age of 1 year. Mental if you ask me.

That wasn't meant to be argumentative, more a statement of surprise that hiring would be considered a safe option.

I also discovered that in a taxi no car seat is required at all over the age of 1 year. Mental if you ask me.

The same or similar law applies in the UK when travelling by taxi with children.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

Hi,

Many thanks x

We arrived a few weeks ago and bought the BabyLove Ezy Combo for our (very small, 17 pound) 1 year old. We chose that one because at the time it was one of only 2 that got the highest CREP rating for safety (now there's a 3rd one which might be worth a look) and at under $200 (I got it online) it was much cheaper than the other option. It's supposed to last until she's 7 years old so I felt it was pretty good value. I'm really happy with it. She seems tiny in it, but she seems very secure and safe and comfortable. Might be an option for your 3 year old?

The other 2 that get the highest CREP safety rating (the AHR Tilt and Adjust and the Style Rider) both have rearward facing options so they might be good for your younger one, although as Snifter points out, whether the child is forward or rearward facing depends more on height than weight here.

Hi all,

I am the other half. The RACV website and many other commercial websites incorrectly infer that using a car seat that does not comply with the relevant AS/NZ standard is illegal. Generally they do not actually state that using the car seat is illegal.

Purchasing a car seat that does not comply with the AS/NZ standard is illegal by virtue of consumer protection notice 21 of 2011 - "(child restraint) standards approved by Standards Australia... ...are safety standards for the purposes of section 106 of Schedule 2 to the Competition and Consumer Act 2010". Section 106 of Schedule 2 only refers to "Supplying etc. consumer goods that do not comply with safety standards". Absolutely no mention is made of possessing, utilising or having "control" of these goods except for the purpose of trade or commerce (i.e. you can't use one for business use).

I'd be more than happy for anyone to prove me wrong however please refer to the legislation, not a second hand NGO website.

All the best,

Anna's hubby!

We arrived a few weeks ago and bought the BabyLove Ezy Combo for our (very small, 17 pound) 1 year old. We chose that one because at the time it was one of only 2 that got the highest CREP rating for safety (now there's a 3rd one which might be worth a look) and at under $200 (I got it online) it was much cheaper than the other option. It's supposed to last until she's 7 years old so I felt it was pretty good value. I'm really happy with it. She seems tiny in it, but she seems very secure and safe and comfortable. Might be an option for your 3 year old?

The other 2 that get the highest CREP safety rating (the AHR Tilt and Adjust and the Style Rider) both have rearward facing options so they might be good for your younger one, although as Snifter points out, whether the child is forward or rearward facing depends more on height than weight here.

That's great, thank you! I have got MIL looking at the car seats and she likes the Ezy Combo one too and it's about half the price of the S&S so I think we will go with that one. Thanks for the recommendation x

Many Aus car seat manufacturers have height markers these days so its not weight based or only to a degree.

There are good options for both but am not at home ATM to post links to seats etc. Drop me a PM and I'll reply with some links for you in the next few days.

Thank you, much appreciated :biggrin:

Guest Alice2
Hi all,

I am the other half. The RACV website and many other commercial websites incorrectly infer that using a car seat that does not comply with the relevant AS/NZ standard is illegal. Generally they do not actually state that using the car seat is illegal.

Purchasing a car seat that does not comply with the AS/NZ standard is illegal by virtue of consumer protection notice 21 of 2011 - "(child restraint) standards approved by Standards Australia... ...are safety standards for the purposes of section 106 of Schedule 2 to the Competition and Consumer Act 2010". Section 106 of Schedule 2 only refers to "Supplying etc. consumer goods that do not comply with safety standards". Absolutely no mention is made of possessing, utilising or having "control" of these goods except for the purpose of trade or commerce (i.e. you can't use one for business use).

I'd be more than happy for anyone to prove me wrong however please refer to the legislation, not a second hand NGO website.

All the best,

Anna's hubby!

Good one. I may have to call them up as I am still not clear what happens when a child who do not need a car seat according to aussie rules uses a UK booster seat because we chose to do so. Does it then become "illegal" (because we are using a car seat now) or not "illegal" as the child is not within the rules (based on age and weight).....?

Guest Alice2

Ahh.... Just read the info on the vicroads.vic website again. When I say booster seat, I mean booster cushion according to their website. Still doesn't answer my question but I thought I would just clarify that in case it confuses :)

Ahh.... Just read the info on the vicroads.vic website again. When I say booster seat, I mean booster cushion according to their website. Still doesn't answer my question but I thought I would just clarify that in case it confuses :)

Hey Alice,

I've just had a quick look at that website. They say 'A child aged 7 years to under 16 years must travel in either an approved booster seat or an adult seatbelt. The type of restraint will depend on the child’s size'. It later goes on to say (further down the page) 'Booster cushions are still legal to use, however booster seats with high backs and side wings are recommended as they provide a higher level of safety in some types of crashes'.

Sounds to me like you'd be legal using what you've got for your 7yo.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/SaferVehicles/ChildRestraints/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.htm

Cheers, Anna (not the hubby this time!)

Don't forget to look for the words 'approved', 'must', 'should' and 'recommended' in any information that you come across.

Even further on down the Vicroads page it does specifically say that restraints and boosters from overseas aren't approved because they haven't been tested against the Australian standard.

i.e.

Can we use a child restraint or booster seat from overseas?

No. Child restraints and booster seats purchased overseas do not comply with the Australian Standard for child restraints: AS/NZS 1754. This standard is one of the most stringent child restraint standards in the world. Unlike the European Standard, the Australian standard requires all restraints to be tested in side and rear impact tests and some with inverted test for roll-over protection.

When buying your child’s restraint, look for the standard’s sticker on the restraint and wording on the package that states it complies with AS/NZS 1754.

Child restraints that meet the standards released in 1991, 1995, 2000, 2004 and 2010 are legal and can be used in motor vehicles in Victoria.

I know naff all about child seats, but am pretty knowledgeable about interpreting legal statements 'cos of my job. I would think in this context 'approved' = 'meets AS/NZS 1754'.

Hope this helps

I agree with everything you say, but I'm sure with your background you'll appreciate that that's not the law that you've quoted.

OK I get what you are saying. However I don't know if in the legislation it will define it as you would like or hope.

The basics as I understand it are that car seat restraints from outside of Australia (other than some in NZ) do not comply with Aus laws/standards (ie the top tether installation for all car seats) and would therefore not be legal to use. The fact you can and do get fined and points on your Aus driving licence from police if found to be using a non Aus approved car seat indicates to me that an imported car seat isn't legal and there may well be penalties if discovered. Not everyone stopped by police has gotten a fine (for whatever reason I don't know) but some people have been found to have incorrect restraints when checked and have been fined accordingly.

CREP do state in their FAQ about car seats from overseas. I hold a bit more faith in CREP than you might as a reliable source of information.

Can I use a restraint I have brought with me from overseas?

No. Child restraints purchased overseas do not comply with Australian Standards and they are not compatible with Australian vehicles.

Australian vehicles have a unique top tether strap anchorage system, with which only Australian Standard approved child restraints are compatible.

In addition, the Australian Standard for child restraints is one of the most stringent child restraint standards in the world. Unlike the European Standard, the Australian Standard requires all restraints to be tested in side and rear impact tests and some with an inverted test for roll-over protection.

There are plenty of other decent websites that state that imported car seats cannot be used and/or illegal to use, but you don't want those for information, so I won't bother posting them ;) The top tether installation is a requirement for car seats in cars in Aus (and cars, for example imports from the UK, not fitted with tether points can have them fitted to ensure they comply).

The child restraints laws from 2010, the 'approved child restraints' aspect is where I stick on. And that enforcement penalties apply from Ocotober 2010. And that approved child restraint must comply with Aus standards (which UK car seats do not). Whichever way I look at it, UK car seats are not Aus approved and therefore not acceptable to use in Aus.

One website, which isn't legislation but is a Gov website says

Approved child restraints

Child restraints sold in Australia must meet the strict requirements of the Australian Standard AS 1754. Restraints bought in other countries will not meet the Australian Standard and it is illegal to use them in Australia. Australian Standard AS 1754

http://sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Road+safety/Seatbelts+and+child+restraints/Approved+child+restraints

I'm personally going to stick with what the Government websites are telling me as while I appreciate what you are saying, its one person's train of thought looking for a loophole and not something I'm going to change my mind over. Of course, what others choose to do is up to them :) Plenty of people from the UK and elsewhere use car seats in Aus that don't meet Aus standards and are brought in from overseas. That is their personal choice at the end of the day.

Snifter's spot on - it's totally your call.

There are strict controls on what government departments are allowed to put on their website - they can't have advice there that contradicts the law. So although the FAQs certainly aren't the Act itself, they're a good guide as to what the LAW means in reality without having to wade through all the details :)

The fact you can and do get fined and points on your Aus driving licence from police if found to be using a non Aus approved car seat indicates to me that an imported car seat isn't legal and there may well be penalties if discovered. Not everyone stopped by police has gotten a fine (for whatever reason I don't know) but some people have been found to have incorrect restraints when checked and have been fined accordingly.

This is an interesting point. I wonder if it's a fine against the use of child restraints purchased from overseas, or for the actual purchase of a child restraints from overseas whilst in Aus, if indeed either of these. I'd be interested to know exactly what people have been charged with and had overturned.

Hi all, I know this post is more about purchasing car seats, however can anyone advise of a decent company in Melbourne area that can hire child's seats. We have a 18 month old and will be arriving in early January 2013. Thanks!

Hi all, I know this post is more about purchasing car seats, however can anyone advise of a decent company in Melbourne area that can hire child's seats. We have a 18 month old and will be arriving in early January 2013. Thanks!

Check hireforbaby as they have outlets all over.

This is an interesting point. I wonder if it's a fine against the use of child restraints purchased from overseas, or for the actual purchase of a child restraints from overseas whilst in Aus, if indeed either of these. I'd be interested to know exactly what people have been charged with and had overturned.

Hopefully your research will dig up the info you are wanting :)

Well having finally come face to face with one of these car seats the just seems to be they are like isofix only they are attached at the top instead of the bottom. The seat belt then acts as a second layer of protection, belt and braces so to speak. Hth somebody because I was really worried the standards werent as high but I think providing its installed properly it should be fine. Still think hiring is far too risky personally, the amount of times car seats are knocked about being installed.

Archived