Visa label in Passport

BrownEyedGal

Hi All

Just want to say that I am very happy today. I went to Australia House, London and got a visa label put into my passport!

Wow it is so real now. I can't wait to get home to my partner - it's been a long, hard and extremely emotional road.

I know its all electronic nowadays but it's going to be easier dealing with medicare etc.

Hoping everyone is doing well and I'm sure I'll be writing for advice on moving costs etc soon.

Guest SineadMurphy

Hi,

Been reading a bit about getting your passport stamped, do we have to do that before going?? What are the advantages of getting it stamped ??

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest31881
Can somebody clarify the luggage allowance thing for me...do we get more?!:wideeyed:

Depending on who you fly with and what sort of visa you have, I believe Emirates allowance is around 32kilo, Singapore will give you about 40kilo on the first use of a permanent visa. and with QANTAS they do a migration ticket with a bigger baggage allowance but it is expensive.

Your best bet is to check with each airline and see what they can offer.

The Rta here in Sydney would not swap my liceince over with out proof as "the visa is federal and the rta is state. And i can't go on the federal system to look", she was so helpful. So i had to go into the city and get the paper sticker in my passport.

If you have the chance to i would get the visa put in your passport.

Hi AndyChapp

Oh my gosh - what a palaver! I'm really glad I got the label now. I'm signing up with various employment agencies and they want to see it (or the email) & take copies.

Also when I signed on for Medicare, he wanted to see the Immi email letter more than the label. So luckily I have a printout that I take with me everywhere.

The label and email didn't help me at all with extra luggage. I was told I had to buy an immigration flight ticket and that would incorporate the extra luggage - that was with Cathay Pacific, so not sure of all their rules and regs.

I'm glad we got our lables at the grand cost of £11 for 2 Special Delivery pouches for 3 reasons:

1. We are travelling via the USA on a one-way ticket and will be able to prove easily that we're taking up residency in Australia. Immigration at LAX can be harsh - I've never seen so many people taken away for interview from the immigration desk!

2. As the 457 visa dependent it's a handy way of proving my visa status and lack of work restrictions when going to job interviews

3. Looks great in my passport!

Archived