update a month in perth

legoman

Well ben a whirlwind month, arrived and within 10 days sorted transport schools rental etc, furnished the place now and more or less settled, love the package deals for furniture, bedrooms suites complete with mattress tallboy bedside cabinets etc for around 1k,bought a lot of electrical eqpt at 'the good guys and had a 400 dollar discount for cash, unbeatable after i check around.

son now settled into school, lotsa work about and i have a choice of jobs, be aware that just applying for anything here at the moment could bite yer on the backside as some called me about work and more or less offered job on phone yet i couldnt remember even applying :(.

cost of living is expensive, especially when you arrive with english pounds converted to dollars on the poor exchange rate, at first you cannot help converted prices to punds, however, once earning dollars here its all proportionate so dont worry too much.

weather is deffo uk at mo, sun storms hail and wind and rain, but we know that when summer comes we will have a decent summer, my son booked us in for the city to surf walk, 12km !!! caught me offguard when i had jetlag still i think. my passion for cars will be sated here, hotrod show end of august, cat arrives same time along with oh, so all in all very well. oh forgot, had a punt on lotto, and won 22dols first time :).

must admit, stress from my trade work in uk seems to have faded and confidence in getting work was already high, i want away from the gas plumbing here and may even do bus driving to experience something different until i can figure out what i would like to do ,

:cool:

i can say my bp has dropped since i arrived, and its just a matter of time before i start work leading up to unilater. more a case of when than if re work, do anything whilst find what you want, its all an experience. can the rain please stop now,! :cool:

Guest antipope
Well ben a whirlwind month, arrived and within 10 days sorted transport schools rental etc, furnished the place now and more or less settled, love the package deals for furniture, bedrooms suites complete with mattress tallboy bedside cabinets etc for around 1k,bought a lot of electrical eqpt at 'the good guys and had a 400 dollar discount for cash, unbeatable after i check around.

son now settled into school, lotsa work about and i have a choice of jobs, be aware that just applying for anything here at the moment could bite yer on the backside as some called me about work and more or less offered job on phone yet i couldnt remember even applying :(.

cost of living is expensive, especially when you arrive with english pounds converted to dollars on the poor exchange rate, at first you cannot help converted prices to punds, however, once earning dollars here its all proportionate so dont worry too much.

weather is deffo uk at mo, sun storms hail and wind and rain, but we know that when summer comes we will have a decent summer, my son booked us in for the city to surf walk, 12km !!! caught me offguard when i had jetlag still i think. my passion for cars will be sated here, hotrod show end of august, cat arrives same time along with oh, so all in all very well. oh forgot, had a punt on lotto, and won 22dols first time :).

must admit, stress from my trade work in uk seems to have faded and confidence in getting work was already high, i want away from the gas plumbing here and may even do bus driving to experience something different until i can figure out what i would like to do ,

:cool:

Hi, great post. Any info on how you managed to arrange a rental in such a short space of time? Would love to be able to arrange one as quickly as that when we arrive as we are staying with my brother at first and don't want to impose for too long as it's an important time for my nephews exams.

We stayed with our eldest son wghich wwas not ideal, knew the area we wanted. woodvale so just contacted estae agents via realestate.com.au and went to open house inspections, in the first week we saw 3 offered 6mths rent on the 2nd house and we were accepted without having to front the 6mths, the really nice hse we saw in kingsley was being viewed by many so we didnt even apply as we had no history in aus, for 400 a week we have a 3 x 2 older property, a pool which wasnt a priority and a large worshop. on our application we put the number of our estate agent in the uk who managing our house being rented and we emphasised the fact that we are landlords too and know what to expect from tenants regarding respect of proprerty etc, they necer called em but it showed we had nothing to hide and that we could afford rent and had property abroad. all info helps.

Guest antipope

Thanks, seems pretty straightforward from your reply. I was worried that it might take 3 or 4 weeks but now feel a lot more relaxed about it. Seen loads of suitable properties online and would have liked to have one sorted before we arrive but seeing as though that seems to be out of the question, the best I can hope for is to get all my paperwork in order and get one arranged asap once we get there.

travel to properties with your passport and if poss drivers licence, and a pen. you have to fill in some forms which at first seem to be a nitemare but they are all the same, check out all the properties, and tell them what you intend to do in oz, ie you have tradie quals etc and say you just getting them adjusted for the aussie job market, lots of agents are ex pats, get them on your side, chat about the uk etc and make yourself remembered, that way the agent may call the owner and chat about

poss tenants, a positive remark about you could sway it, and of course the agents looking for a no problem tenant to make his/her life easier. I wouldnt bother applying until you are here to be honest, the majority wont reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, glad to hear that you've all settled in so well.

Just wondering if I could pick your brains.!!!

I'm a plumber/ gas fitter and have my own uk business, I'm sitting my IELTS exam soon to get me 5 more points ( stupid changing points system). My main concern is about plumbing jobs in Perth as on all the job sites, papers that I look in there doesn't seem to be any advertised.

Do you know of best areas in and around Perth for plumbers, desperate to leave this lovely British summer weather behind.

Thank you

there seems to be a lot of work for plumber gas fitters about, and they just the ones who advertise.

seek show several, you will need to do courses here ( if u sneeze you need a cert ). have a look at

www.mpaskills.com.au or just search mpa skills gives a good idea on courses to gain certs here to work. my trade quals got me into oz when i arrived my quals meant nothing and we had to complete courses which are quite easy to do but just paying out the coin is painful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Ritchie43BD

i will have to check that out too, got the priorities right now, on ebay au sub section motors sub sub section classic cars, just dont tell O/h yet

Guest Ritchie43BD
i will have to check that out too, got the priorities right now, on ebay au sub section motors sub sub section classic cars, just dont tell O/h yet

jie1.jpg

jie2.jpg

jie4.jpg

Archived