AHPRA - aaaarrrrghhhh! Nurses please help!

Guest The Mellor clan

Guest The Mellor clan

:arghh:Could somebody please help me!

I have been trying to gain my nursing registration since February 2011 when AHPRA received my application (and took my application fee I might add).

I have constantly queried the fact "do I need to sit an IELTs test?, as I have been taught and assessed in English all of my life". the answer has always been "yes" until I recived a letter in April stating "although you have provided the correct evidence to demonstrate you have been taught and aseessed in English you have also provided an unsuccessful IELTs result."

Again, I queried this, due to the way the leeter was written did I need to sit the IELTs test in the first place. Finally, in May I received an email apologising stating I should nebver have sat the IELTs and as long as I provide certified evidence of my education (which I have done) my application will be complete.

Now, they have emailed me again stating I need to sit an IELTs!

Please, please could somebody clarify this for me. i have complained to AHPRA and got nowhere (they won't let me speak to a team leader or supoervisior) and I have no way of getting past the customer services. Does anyone no of any loop holes or people I can speak to or help me.

All help; information and advice is gratefully received:arghh:

:arghh:Could somebody please help me!

I have been trying to gain my nursing registration since February 2011 when AHPRA received my application (and took my application fee I might add).

I have constantly queried the fact "do I need to sit an IELTs test?, as I have been taught and assessed in English all of my life". the answer has always been "yes" until I recived a letter in April stating "although you have provided the correct evidence to demonstrate you have been taught and aseessed in English you have also provided an unsuccessful IELTs result."

Again, I queried this, due to the way the leeter was written did I need to sit the IELTs test in the first place. Finally, in May I received an email apologising stating I should nebver have sat the IELTs and as long as I provide certified evidence of my education (which I have done) my application will be complete.

Now, they have emailed me again stating I need to sit an IELTs!

Please, please could somebody clarify this for me. i have complained to AHPRA and got nowhere (they won't let me speak to a team leader or supoervisior) and I have no way of getting past the customer services. Does anyone no of any loop holes or people I can speak to or help me.

All help; information and advice is gratefully received:arghh:

Your best option is probably to sit the IELTS academic module and if necessary resit until you achieve 7 or better on every sub-test at a single sitting. You have other options.

Guest robnnic

When i sat my IELTS orginally (FEB) someone told me there that all nurses now need to sit the IELTS...it didn't matter to me as i am the main applicant so neededit for my skills assessment anyway. You say that orginally they said 'yes you needed it'...did yo sit it...why wasn't this good enough??

Sorry to hear you are having a rotten time with Aphra. My experience was pretty painless, except a few documents going missing by the NMC, and having to have them resent. For others who have not yet started, I used the Perth Office. With regards to the original problem, there are definately nurses on here that have not sat Ielts for Aphra, I am sure. I sat my Ielts for my skills assessment.

Sorry I can't be of any help,

Donna x

Guest tandcmum

I emailed AHPRA about this just before i sent my application off as i couldn't get a letter from my secondry school, they told me to send all my certificates plus either letters from secondry education or a statutory declaration signed by a JP to say I was taught and assessed in Englsh. I have done this but i don't think other than a quick glance through my application to check everything was there they have looked at it properly so only time will tell if they think it is good enough

Guest Hacking family

Hi, i took IELTS test as i was going to apply for a 176 visa and needed extra points, however, i am now probably going on a 457 visa (with WA health) for which i was told i did not need IELTS as long as i could prove i had studied in English. As i already have the IELTS certificate i have sent this to AHPRA instead of getting proof of English study. Not sure if this is helpful or not???

Documents sent to AHPRA (Perth office) 30.6.11 - AHPRA acknowledged receipt 15.7.11 - still being assessed.

My OH had sat the IELTS test I think it was 5 times (lost count) She didnt get the required mark on one part every time, missed by 0.5. We sent the application off to AHPRA with all evidence that she was taught and assessed in English and she has received her letter of eligibility, just need to go into the Perth AHPRA office and register............

Oh god, I can not believe what a pain AHPRA are! I have had a few problems myself and was not getting anywhere, they kept telling me that they never received the letter from NMC (my statement of entry) then one person said that they had received it but 5 others said this was wrong. I just rang and e-mailed constantly for nearly 2 weeks and then got an e-mail out the blue to say that actually they did have it. P**s up and brewery springs to mind!

As for the IELTS, I applied to Brisbane office and sent letters from school and we will see if this is enough, I have not been asked yet to do it and I am on the 457 visa. Seems to be a grey area.

Hope you get it sorted soon, do you have a job libed up maybe your new employer could help :wideeyed:

Hey, I too am in a similar position. I sent my application to the Brisbane office with a letter from my secondary school. They said this was in sufficient? I took this as the letter was not worded correctly, and so have asked the school if they could write me another letter quoting exactly the words that AHPRA have used!!

AHPRA informed me I need to either:

* provide a letter from my secondary school establishment stating that I was taught and assessed in English and that I graduated.

* provide a statutory declaration (written in front of a notary, it's legally binding) in which I write a statement saying that I was taught and assessed in English blah blah, and they sign it

"If in the event that I can't produce either of these then I would have to do the IELTS."

So as long as we can produce one of the above two we shouldnt have to do the tests!

Fingers crossed they except my second letter because I dont really want to pay out for a stat dec unless I really have too, it's all becoming quite costly as it is!

Good luck!

Hi, Sorry to hear what you are going through with AHPRA, I had my arguments with them as well, and they can be a pain in the bottom! My friend has applied in February, and because her papers were wrong certified she had to send everything back and they only got it a month ago. Now they have told her that she needs to go to board. The only reason I think she would have to go to board is because she didn't have the IELTS and she gave them the secondary and university paperwork proving she was taught in English.

If I was you, I would contact the OMBUDSMAN, the details are in the complains page of AHPRA. He was a lifesaver for me as when I complained he called AHPRA and they resolved it in two days.... the link is http://www.ahpra.gov.au/About-AHPRA/Complaints.aspx

I hope that by making an official complain you can go a bit further...

Good luck.

RAFA

Oh crikey what joys am i going to have then?

Hi everyone, I'm a UK student nurse entering my final year and am wanting to go back out to OZ in Dec 12. I already have my permenant rededency 136 visa as we were in OZ a couple of years ago and applied for the 136 through my husband (he's an ali welder).

I'm looking on here to find out if any newly qualified nurses went straight out to OZ or if they gained experience in the UK 1st. Suppose we all have to start somewhere, I just want mine to start in OZ!!

:hug:

Guest scottiesuz

I have been having a nightmare with AHPRA. My application was posted 6/6/2011 and they said it arrived on 22/6/2011, I know it is a long way from Scotland but that seems a ridiculous length of time. Anyway they contacted me requesting further documents which I have sent, but they also told me that transcripts from the 2 uni's I did my training with (am nurse and midwife) had not been recieved. I have contacted them 3 times using the online enquiry but have never had a reply. I have resorted to phoning them every 2 weeks to check the progress.

Last night I called to tell them when the transcripts had been sent and they point blank told me they had not been recieved. I did not let it go and told her what uni's they were and asked her to check again and what do you know......they recieved one on 15/6 and the other on 23/6!

As I have a job to go to and the visa (457) will not be granted till I have my registration I asked how long it would take to give me a decision and she would not even give me a ball park figure. I am sure they are inundated with applications but it is so frustrating!!!!!:arghh:

Susan.

I have been having a nightmare with AHPRA. My application was posted 6/6/2011 and they said it arrived on 22/6/2011, I know it is a long way from Scotland but that seems a ridiculous length of time. Anyway they contacted me requesting further documents which I have sent, but they also told me that transcripts from the 2 uni's I did my training with (am nurse and midwife) had not been recieved. I have contacted them 3 times using the online enquiry but have never had a reply. I have resorted to phoning them every 2 weeks to check the progress.

Last night I called to tell them when the transcripts had been sent and they point blank told me they had not been recieved. I did not let it go and told her what uni's they were and asked her to check again and what do you know......they recieved one on 15/6 and the other on 23/6!

As I have a job to go to and the visa (457) will not be granted till I have my registration I asked how long it would take to give me a decision and she would not even give me a ball park figure. I am sure they are inundated with applications but it is so frustrating!!!!!:arghh:

Susan.

Have u posted using normal post or any express service. If it's a normal then it takes around two weeks. My OH application posted from London on 17th June and received by AHPRA Perth on 21st June but I used Global express. However NMC verification posted on 30th June by normal post reached Perth on 15th July. We posted additinal document on 1st August using UPS and it delivered on 4th August. UPS charges more but just takes 3 days to deliver.

Mansawant

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest The Mellor clan

Thanks to everyone for your messages of advice and support:smile:.

My application went to the ANMB committee on 26th September 2011 and my registration was granted!

Just on the search for employment now - what a long journey this is turning out to be!

• 4 months later...
Guest Joanne1983

Hi all.....quick question. What do i need to do with regards to my UK NMC reg? Do i need to get confirmation from them and send it over?

Thanks! x

Hi, yes you need to contact NMC and request a verification of registration, they will send you a form to fill in and require a £34 fee. They then send this direct to whichever APHRA office you state on request form. You can request this form online if that is easier. Hope this helps. Good luck with APHRA registration.

hi There, although ilets not required for ahpra reg, do you still need to sit ilets if you require points for visa(176) currently sitting on 55 points. or will that count towards 10 points?

Guest Corky80
hi There, although ilets not required for ahpra reg, do you still need to sit ilets if you require points for visa(176) currently sitting on 55 points. or will that count towards 10 points?

Hi boyrob,

I did the IELTS for the points for the 176- so i also used ut for APHRA registration too if you get an overall 7 you get 5 points towards the 176 or if you get an overall 8 then its 10 points. For the nursing you need to do the academic level IELTS- But if it is for points for the visa think you can to this at general level.

Orla

Hi guys,

I'm applying to AHPRA in the next 2 weeks. I have made an appointment with a local notary next Tuesday at a cost of £80-£100 for 6 documents.

I am just getting my documents together and I am wondering if those of you who have been through the dreaded process tell me exactly what documents you had certified as I do not want to leave there without getting all the correct documents certified.

I had my skills assessed with the ANMAC so I will ask them to forward the documents they have on to AHPRA.

Guest tandcmum
Hi guys,

I'm applying to AHPRA in the next 2 weeks. I have made an appointment with a local notary next Tuesday at a cost of £80-£100 for 6 documents.

I am just getting my documents together and I am wondering if those of you who have been through the dreaded process tell me exactly what documents you had certified as I do not want to leave there without getting all the correct documents certified.

I had my skills assessed with the ANMAC so I will ask them to forward the documents they have on to AHPRA.

it was definatly more than 6 documents i got certified, basically i photocopied everything and got the copies certified, all my passport, birth certs, marriage certs, gcse, a level, degree certificates, nmc registration, cert of intial registration, uni transcripts, course syllabus etc it was quite a lot, luckily i live in scotland and justice of peace service is free so i just took absolutely everything i might posibly need to send

Guest robnnic

MummyMann...did you get your ANMAC things certified by a Justice of the Peace (this is what APHRA require...it has to be a justice of the peace) If you did and they are forwarding things over to APHRA, do you need to add anything else?

I just sent my application along with my CV signed by myself, and my job offer letter. I had no problems and have my APHRAregistration once i get over there to activate it....take a look at my timeline

Nic.x.

Hi all,

New to all this & am very confused !!

My husband & I are looking to move to Melbourne, he is a theatre nurse and also has worked as clinical facilitator in the past. We are hoping to go out on a 457 visa. Looking at other posts, I know that he has to get his skills assessed by ANMC & get his registration from APHRA. But does he need to take the IELTS if he can get a letter from his secondary school to provide that he was educated in English? Can anyone let me know what exactly are the steps that he needs to take & in what order, he is hopeless with all this so I have volunteered to look into it....nightmare :-)

Archived