What are the main reasons for returning to UK?

CGregory

I've read your post a couple of times, and from what you have written it appears you can go back to the UK anytime you like as long as you pay your company back for your traveling expenses. So what's stopping you ?

You sound dreadfully unhappy, and you didn't mention one positive thing about being in Australia. Bananas are expensive at the moment because of the floods and storms that caused all the destruction to the farmers a few months ago. You really don't have to pay $400 for a kitchen pan, I certainly never have, and you must have known Australia didn't have a social security/national health system like the UK, no other country does.

The high dollar and the low north-sea peso make comparing the cost of living extreme, that's true, but you must have had some inclination that things would be different from the UK. I'm trying to take something positive from your post but you take the wingeing pom thing to a whole new height. Sounds like you did little or no research on relocating to Australia, and I wonder if the "free trip" was the incentive for coming.

I hope you post again when summer kicks in and the weather turns "unexpectedly" hot and new season cherries double in price. You do realise it's unlikely that Brissy will have a white xmas this year ?

I'm presently in the UK and although bananas are only about $2 a kilo, I manage to supplement my diet with other things. The UK economy and standard of living is really quite dire for the majority who live here, and will become much worse when mortgage rates inevitably rise. Come home mate the country needs you, and Oz doesn't deserve you. You might get back just in time for the next recession.

I've read your post a couple of times, and from what you have written it appears you can go back to Australia anytime you like. So what's stopping you ?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think the term "whingeing pom" should be rebranded to apply to British born naturalised Australians who seem unable to cope with negative comments about Australia without becoming aggressive and rude.

It's clear from YOUR posts that you cannot stand the UK, so why post inflammatory comments on MBTTUK?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest22466
Hi everyone. This is my first post and a situation i could really use a hand with. Im 16 years old and 3 weeks ago i moved to Australia. My mother, step-dad and two sisters moved over here earlier this year at the beginning of february whilst i stayed in england with my Dad to do my GCSE's. I moved here with a friend who has since gone back to the Uk as he was only here for a holiday, so currently im on my own in terms of friends. My two sisters love it here, they are both slightly younger (15 and 13) and my mum and step-dad also are settling in really well with good jobs and are making new friends. I have visited Australia 3 times before moving so i had a fair idea of what it was going to be like (i know its not the same as living here) but now that im here it just doesnt feel right? I've spoken to my mum about moving back and at first she was adamant i stay here at least 6 months to settle in but since has changed her mind and has said its my decision. Im looking to do an apprenticeship, and know that here i have a better chance of getting one that pays more and leads to better oportunites. My dad has said that if i want to move back to england i can and well i really do at the moment. As im 16 as soon as i leave australia and start doing my apprenticeship i will only be able to return to australia on my own accord. Im expecting the answers of 'you should wait it out and see how you feel after 6months when you've en-rolled in a college over here and made friends' but if after 6 months i still dont like it and i go back to england and my friends have moved on i will have missed out on the period of time i had to myself with them before i started further education. Ive spoken to my dad about getting apprenticehips in the Uk and it appears that i can get one there relatively easy as well, although i am running out of time to apply for the ones i want. If i leave it too late i will end up having to start the course next year. The main reason im un-sure wether to stay or go is Family, Friends, education and money. My sisters here are really upset at the thought of me going and are sure that if i stayed i'd love it. However, i also have a half brother and sister back in england eager to have me back. I know that im young and have my whole life ahead of me, but surely then the choice i make isnt that much of a big deal and that if i do go back to the uk i'll be just as happy as i could be here? Im so un-sure at the moment and any words of advice of what you think i should do would be much appreciated (if they are nice words - i have read a few of the past posts and im not looking to be mocked, i would just like some help) Thank you :)

Hi its a hard situation that your in and not an easy choice to make for you. Like Quoll said maybe try get your PR visa then you have the option to live in both countries with both sets of family members. What you may want when your younger changes when you get older so if I was you I would try to cover both options. Wishing you all the best in what ever choice you make.....well done for posting and looking ahead...Take Care xx

I am not returning to the Uk and just got permanent after 2.5 yrs on a 457. I just wanted to say, you may love it :)

Upon reading the negativitey from some posts on here, I have to disagree.

I have put a few comments on here, to show you it is not always like that and you may find it different, so do not base your choice and the hearsay, of a few people but rather research.

I can understand the family things, I am lucky, my best friend from childhood has lived here for over 20 yrs, so I can nip for a chat, anytime..

However I can also do that with a few aussie friends I have met.

I am located in Brisbane so can only compare here.

In the UK dentists who do NHS are few and far between, my dental costs have been a LOT less here than in the UK. My mum paid over £1500 for her root canal, I only got mine free as I was within 12 mths of having a baby.

Here my extras is great and covers most of the costs, the younger kids got full treatment free at school. Howeever we dont have extreme dental work, so I guess if you needed hospital dental, it would cost a lot here.

I had to visit hospital here and was under them for a while, my kid have also had hospital visits, has not cost me a penny and the service we recieved was brilliant, everytime.

I have made LOTS of Aussie friends, infact I see them more than I did my UK friends and they are so kind and genuine.

We get all our fruit and veg through an organic/spray free scheme, its costs very little for top quality stuff from farm to plate in a week and its all over, so you do not have to pay super high prices for food, but it is seasonal.

We eat 90% organic/spray free

mostly natural toiletries etc.. and my food bill is $350 a week for a family of 6 with 2 greedy teens in, so I think we do OK.

Rarely pay for a doctor visit as we have a bulk billing one, nearby. Although you do have to pay for meds for the kids.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but passing on some great advice I recieved years ago on one of the expat sites, from a member.

If you come REMEMBER .............it is NOT the UK, its Australia, so it is unfair to constantly compare and will make you in the end, pine for the UK and spend your life comparing and debating.

Treat it as a new experience and a new life, with its own negative and positives. Nowhere is perfect, life is what you make it, some countries suit and some don't, we are all different with different views, goals, experiences and feelings. You will never know if you don't try.

Don't come comparing and worrying, you will end up very unhappy.

We came knowing we may have to go back, that it was not neccessarily forever and we all still wanted to come for the experience, life is too short, to spend wondering..... what if!

It has opened our eyes, made us much stronger and made us see that we can do it..

But going back for some, is life saving. It is not for everyone. Here in Brisbane you have humidity so bad soemdays you want to pass out and wake up in ice, flies, mozzie bites itching all night and nights so hot you cannot sleep but the bills for the air con take priority, but other days its paradise :)

Every country has its good and bad points, it depends what your seeking, what experiences you after and where you see yourself.

Good luck :)

Hi sunshine 111

i read your post and it interested me how you got on with your move bck to the uk. my husband and i (and our 8 month old) are considering a move home. we have been in oz 5 years, have 1 baby, but being away from family is making us sad. to make things worse, the house prices in sydney are so bad that we will never be able to buy a house. if we were at home we would be able to buy a home for our baby and be close to family.

did u organise a job before you left? did you find the move home easy? ok? have u any regrets?

would like to hear your views.

thanks

Hi sunshine 111

i read your post and it interested me how you got on with your move bck to the uk. my husband and i (and our 8 month old) are considering a move home. we have been in oz 5 years, have 1 baby, but being away from family is making us sad. to make things worse, the house prices in sydney are so bad that we will never be able to buy a house. if we were at home we would be able to buy a home for our baby and be close to family.

did u organise a job before you left? did you find the move home easy? ok? have u any regrets?

would like to hear your views.

thanks

I think I might post another update soon, has been 6 wks since we have been back. It wasn't an easy move, partly because of our percetions of the Uk and that we had been away from it for 10 yrs. 2nduessed ourselves alot in the early days, we didn't have a job to go back to & no we don't regret it. It depends on so much, hard to give advice as such. You got a bit of time if your little un is 8 mths old. We had to make a quick decision because our eldest was 5 yrs old & amongst other things we were frustrated with the early childhood system. For the most part you got to trust your gut feeling & ask yourself where you see your future? The most challenging thing about this is that from a decision making process, you are pretty much on your own unfortunately. Would be so much easier if someone could make it for you & you had a crystal ball into the future! Good luck with what ever you decide. :)

Guest guest57588
That was "Thought for the day" by extreme Australian, Jeff Thompson. Tomorrow we bring you Eugene Terre Blanche

Is 'extreme Australian' a new sport?. A bit like dwarf-tossing or monkey-tennis?

Guest Taffinoz

Howdy CG,

We just got back after 5 years + 4 months...

What did we miss? I guess it was a love of our home, our country and our family (not necessarily in that order!) We gave it a good innings, but great weather, beaches and a view isn't everything you know...

We were pretty remote out in the NW of WA and covered in red dirt and flies most of the time, but it wasn't as bad as people will have you believe, but we're from Wales, so miss the rain and the green!!

I'm sooo happy to have come home, but there's great opportunities for everyone out there, and the kids will love it and the schooling's good apparently (no kids myself)

I'll head back sometime, but not just yet, really happy to see the folks and settle a bit for a change!

...and boy, did we see some scary mother:wideeyed: spiders...

Guest guest37336
Just real glad to escape the 'great unwashed'. Phew those poms stink!

As I've said time and again, fair play to anyone who wants to emigrate, but there is nothing more sickening than then seeing this person then turn on his country of birth and reveling in the fact,:mad::mad:

Guest guest37336
What has country of birth got to do with anything? An outmoded concept for weak people.

That's the sort of answer I'd expect from you Been There, now I'm weak apparently,:goofy::goofy::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest guest37336
Explain exactly how here you are born means anything? Clear, concise answer please.

No point mate, and if you have to use sarcasm, make sure it's in the right context mate.

Guest guest37336
I was right. You have nothing to offer but sanctimonious clap trap!

That's a compliment to me matttteeeeeee.

I'll say no more as talking to a moron may numb my clap trap.:biglaugh:

Haven't you got a horse to protect from the bats?:wink:

Explain exactly how here you are born means anything? Clear, concise answer please.

Well in my case, I was born in England, and damned proud of it too. Where I was born and bred is an intrinsic part of me: my parents, my siblings, my childhood friends, my memories of growing up in the south of England, all those things are deeply ingrained in the fabric of me.

What about you?

Guest Guest16631

......................there is also that...........Nature vs Nurture.....................so where you originate from plays a large part in who you become.................

Guest Been there

So let me get this right. As a military family my sister (dec) was born in Scotland, and my brother in Germany. Would they have their 'fabric' set by those countries? Kinda ruins your argument a little that...............

Guest guest37336
Just real glad to escape the 'great unwashed'. Phew those poms stink!

As mod it is my duty to try and keep a level of decorum on this site, so in the spirt of friendship, would you like to kiss and make up, :wubclub::biglaugh: or shall we exchange addresses and next time I'm in OZ mate we can 'discuss' this further.:biggrin:

Guest Been there
As mod it is my duty to try and keep a level of decorum on this site, so in the spirt of friendship, would you like to kiss and make up, :wubclub::biglaugh: or shall we exchange addresses and next time I'm in OZ mate we can 'discuss' this further.:biggrin:

I'd look forward to it.

So let me get this right. As a military family my sister (dec) was born in Scotland, and my brother in Germany. Would they have their 'fabric' set by those countries? Kinda ruins your argument a little that...............

Forgotten how to quote again mate?

Well in answer to your question, in your family's case, it has been shaped and made unique by the experience of changing between different countries. I guess with a military upbringing and moving around so much would make you feel a bit anchor less. But even that is part of you. Maybe that explains your lack of affinity with the uk, and made you crave for such an anchor. Maybe Australia is that to you.

Guest guest57588

But don't you absorb elements from the places you lived in, the people you've met, the experiences both good and bad that you've had there?. Doesn't that become part of the road-map of your life?. At particular times in our lives like childhood or early adulthood we're hugely influenced by our experiences I reckon.

Archived