Should we bring our fridge and washing machine?

Bushwhacker

We had removal companies come today to give us a quote for relocating our stuff to Perth.

They advised against taking the fridge freezer and washing machine. They gave mixed reasons, one said it was because they dont travel well and maybe wont survive the trip (they're 2 years old), one said the the customs in oz dont like the gases in the fridges here and another said that you cant clean washing machines to the standards that customs require.

My ex colleague took both with him and had no problems with customs. He did however have to replace his washing machine within months of being there, reason unknown.

It would be great to hear of your experiences.

We are just starting to think the same thing - do we ship or belonging or just sell/ditch them before we go.

Have just been trying to research the cost of replacing fridge/freezer/washing machine when we arrive compared to storage and shipping

I'm kinda arriving at the conclusion that we will sell our stuff here and buy when we settle as will probably rent furnished for the first few months - unless others have wise thought on the matter

Soz no help - but I like your thread :wubclub:

We had removal companies come today to give us a quote for relocating our stuff to Perth.

They advised against taking the fridge freezer and washing machine. They gave mixed reasons, one said it was because they dont travel well and maybe wont survive the trip (they're 2 years old), one said the the customs in oz dont like the gases in the fridges here and another said that you cant clean washing machines to the standards that customs require.

My ex colleague took both with him and had no problems with customs. He did however have to replace his washing machine within months of being there, reason unknown.

It would be great to hear of your experiences.

Why would anyone want to bring junky old appliances - pay freight, clear customs, wait for months - especially all the way from another continent? Sheesh.

Just buy brand new. You want to start a new life with relics from your former selves.

Can't believe this even being asked.

I found fridge/freezers to be way more expensive here than the UK, washers about the same. But shipping the FF could be problematic as others said above and you don't know when it will arrive. My stuff took 3 months before it was even sent with Crown GGRRRRR! avoid them. Collected my stiff in August, it arrived at Christmas.

Why would anyone want to bring junky old appliances - pay freight, clear customs, wait for months - especially all the way from another continent? Sheesh.

Just buy brand new. You want to start a new life with relics from your former selves.

Can't believe this even being asked.

RedDwight, they are not old or junky and I'm not paying for the freight. Its going to cost us thousands in the first couple of months to establish ourselves so if I can take those appliances to last us even a couple of months so we can save for new ones then I'm happy for that. We're not all Rockefellers like you that can afford new ones as soon as we land.

It's a valid question. I'm not going to Oz to run away from my life here or change myself. Maybe your old fridge would have only haunted you and brought back bad memories of over-eating or your old washing machine would have teased you about your particularly soiled underwear. I don't know what your reasons were for having such a problem with bringing yours. I, however, have no problem bringing my appliances if it makes economic sense. If its being shipped for free and there's no real reason not bring then I will.

I may receive sound advice not to bring them, we'll see.

That is all rubbish. 2 years old - I would bring them.

If they are just a couple of years old, definitely bring them.

If you have a full container being shipped, the cost per item isnt that bad, and you will have no issues with customs. As far as I know, its just the older fridges that can be an issue, but not newer sealed units. (we didnt bring ours because it was built in)

The price of white goods here has dropped drastically over the last couple of years, so prices arent far off the Uk prices (IMO) but if you have a perfectly good fridge & washing machine why throw away good money.

I see no reason not to bring them - as you say, why spend good money to replace an appliance that may have years of life left in it?

Fridges travel fine without any additional packing - just remember to leave it standing upright for a day or so once it has been delivered before you plug it in. Also think about putting in one of those baking soda fridge fresheners as it will be switched off and sealed up for a good few weeks and may smell pretty ripe when its re-opened

Washing machines can be tricky as you'll need to secure the drum otherwise it will thrash about and being heavy will do all sorts of damage to itself. Did you keep the transit kit ( bolts / bracket) that were fitted when it was purchased?

If so, then just re-fit them before it goes in the container. If you don't, try the manufacturer for a spare set. If you can't get any then maybe take a chance and pack it without but keep your fingers crossed!

We are leaving our fridge freezer as its old now (about 10 years) and not worth taking as it does need replacing soon anyways.

Our washing machine, I am leaning toward taking. Mainly as its a large drum front loader and only 18 months old. I looked at costs (and range) of front loaders in Aus and they are expensive. I personally don't like the top loaders that are popular in Aus for a number of reasons, the main one being they never wash as well as a front loader IMO. So even if we don't take our washing machine when the time comes, I'll be spending the extra on a front loader over a top loading one.

I think you need to weigh up if its cost effective to take them or replace once there. Like you say, there are limits to finances and if its still new(ish) and in good nick then taking them is a viable option. Even if they only work for a year or two longer they'd have served their purposes and the money spent shipping them would be worth it.

My list of things to take and things to leave is balanced with what I know we will want and what we can afford. Some things we will have to buy new once there but its non essential items like a bookcase or a set of shelves, things we can manage without for a while if need be. The things we need, I plan to take.

FWIW if you were considering shipping things like wardrobes, many Aussie houses have them built in and so they are often not needed. While you can stuff things inside them to ship, at the other end, you may find you won't have use for them all. We are leaving them, bookcases, small table and chairs, desks and garden stuff behind. Things like our bed, sofa, personal belongings and all our kitchen stuff (except FF and cooker of course) we are taking.

Lots of people take their white goods without problem. Some prefer not to and to buy everything new once there. If you can find a short term rental with white goods to tide you over and use a laundrette till your washing machine arrives you should be good. Or buy a cheap second hand fridge till your stuff arrives, that sort of thing, go for it.

Thanks for reply fleabo, I'm think the same thing.

So you had no problems taking yours?

We sold our house with the fridge in it (13 years old). But we were told we could bring it.

Washing machine came with us - dried it out as best we could before it was wrapped and packed. Arrived full of mould but came through quarantine. Tumble drier same. Both running hell-for-leather at the mo (winter time).

WM here $500 min. Decent fridge freezer $800min. Cost to ship your own appliances probably $80 with an unquantifiable risk of failure.

Good luck!

Washing machines can be tricky as you'll need to secure the drum otherwise it will thrash about and being heavy will do all sorts of damage to itself. Did you keep the transit kit ( bolts / bracket) that were fitted when it was purchased?

If so, then just re-fit them before it goes in the container. If you don't, try the manufacturer for a spare set. If you can't get any then maybe take a chance and pack it without but keep your fingers crossed!

Good advice.

You can fit pillows up the side of the drum if you don't have the transit bolts.

Thanks for all the posts received, they're very helpful.

Glad, you make a good point. One of the guys said about securing the drum during transit, i dont think i have the bolts both you and he are talking about but he said he can secure it another way if we haven't.

I think we should bring them with! :smile:

Good advice.

You can fit pillows up the side of the drum if you don't have the transit bolts.

Yup - that will work but it will also move backwards and forwards so another pillow and good old duct tape across the back will be a belt and braces option.

Archived