One step closer to home

mcmillsa

After ten long months on the market our house finally completes on Friday. We moved into a rental yesterday until we save enough money to pay for shipping, travel and a holiday on the way back. The feeling of homesickness was immense today I think its because I am just about free of the mortgage which has made me feel so trapped.

Although I am ok here I do like Australia and we both have good jobs but after 4 years its time to return. We didn't leave the UK cause we didn't like it it was just an adventure and to try another lifestyle which worked well at first.

I spent 4 and a half months over last winter in England which only re-enforced our decision to return. My 6 year old son asks daily to return to see his Grandma's and get on the plane he just loved being in England last year. It brings back what is important to us as a family.

I have increased my hours at work to bring our dream towards us quicker. Our only dilemma is whether I return first and find work before my husband but would like to all return together. I found work easily last time I returned and have re-newed my nurses licience ready and have gained valuable experience here which I am truly grateful for.

For all those coming to Australia follow your dreams, it has I believe it has been a wonderful experience which I will never regret but for us the UK is our home. :biggrin:

It was lovely to read your post. It's great you are working towards your goal so methodically. Our family are in a similar position to you and hoping to move back in about 18mths - 2 years. I am in the UK at the moment with my 7 month old, visiting both sets of grandparents and having a fantastic time. I still have a few reservations about moving back regarding employment, etc but like you, I think if we plan correctly the move back can work for us. Good luck with the next stage of your plan!!

Guest siamsusie
After ten long months on the market our house finally completes on Friday. We moved into a rental yesterday until we save enough money to pay for shipping, travel and a holiday on the way back. The feeling of homesickness was immense today I think its because I am just about free of the mortgage which has made me feel so trapped.

Although I am ok here I do like Australia and we both have good jobs but after 4 years its time to return. We didn't leave the UK cause we didn't like it it was just an adventure and to try another lifestyle which worked well at first.

I spent 4 and a half months over last winter in England which only re-enforced our decision to return. My 6 year old son asks daily to return to see his Grandma's and get on the plane he just loved being in England last year. It brings back what is important to us as a family.

I have increased my hours at work to bring our dream towards us quicker. Our only dilemma is whether I return first and find work before my husband but would like to all return together. I found work easily last time I returned and have re-newed my nurses licience ready and have gained valuable experience here which I am truly grateful for.

For all those coming to Australia follow your dreams, it has I believe it has been a wonderful experience which I will never regret but for us the UK is our home. :biggrin:

:wubclub:Best wishes and good luck with your planning. Exciting times ahead for you all.

Susie x

God bless you guys .... i know its and must have been a hard decision at first although when you reach that decision it seems easy and sooo right!!! and i hope it is right ...

I cant claim to be the same as you , or go back to the same family feeling as you guys.

But i have never regretted something so much, to have done the dream thing, go to Oz live what u wanted and forever thought of , you gave it far more time than me and have come to that decision, me i'm not sure i will ever get over our decision... yes i have had a few wines ...

Guest The Pom Queen

What a lovely post, good luck with your journey home and remember home is where the heart is.

UK aint the place it was , although i am in Leicester , seriously, i have 2 kids and i am not happy bringing my kids up here ... i dont think i am the only one who feels this way , although this is born home and familiar this sure aint it....

I know how the UK is after living there 35 years and listening to the depressing news but its the same worldwide. I work in drug and alcohol here and I did in the UK and its all the same. We don't escape it been at the other side of the world, the sun just shines more.

We had 4 kids jumping on my husbands van the other night and someone trying to get in the gate after midnight which makes me feel unsafe. But that isn't what made my decision.

The place in England where I am from hasn't changed one bit like I said I spent nearly 5 months back there over the winter period. Luckily it is has always been a nice place to live. Maybe I would be different if it wasn't. But violence and crime will be everywhere no country escapes it unfortunately.

Believe me I am far from naive to what occurs in the country. For me like I said after a long period away and I believe we have given it plenty of time considering it is two years I have felt like this and haven't rushed into anything so we hopefully don't regret it.

If it is wrong then maybe we will become a ping pongers!! :arghh:

Guest embernet
I know how the UK is after living there 35 years and listening to the depressing news but its the same worldwide. I work in drug and alcohol here and I did in the UK and its all the same. We don't escape it been at the other side of the world, the sun just shines more.

We had 4 kids jumping on my husbands van the other night and someone trying to get in the gate after midnight which makes me feel unsafe. But that isn't what made my decision.

The place in England where I am from hasn't changed one bit like I said I spent nearly 5 months back there over the winter period. Luckily it is has always been a nice place to live. Maybe I would be different if it wasn't. But violence and crime will be everywhere no country escapes it unfortunately.

Believe me I am far from naive to what occurs in the country. For me like I said after a long period away and I believe we have given it plenty of time considering it is two years I have felt like this and haven't rushed into anything so we hopefully don't regret it.

If it is wrong then maybe we will become a ping pongers!! :arghh:

Some people come from areas of the UK that HAVE changed quite a bit OR they have been away for a LONG time. They seem to completely ignore/forget that some other Brits come from quite a nice part of the UK that HASN'T changed much at all OR they have only bee in Australia for a relatively short period anyway.

whichever why and whatever people are doing, they're doing what's best for them at this time, but no country is how it was yesterday or the day before, it will all move forward whether you want it to or not.......for some UK's the place, for others Oz, some USA, etc, etc, etc,

Guest embernet
whichever why and whatever people are doing, they're doing what's best for them at this time, but no country is how it was yesterday or the day before, it will all move forward whether you want it to or not.......for some UK's the place, for others Oz, some USA, etc, etc, etc,

There ARE quite a lot of Aussies who think that their home city/state has gone downhill. And many of them would be correct.

Don't forget that the VERY high level of patriotism and flag-waving in Australia (which is NO indication of how good/bad things actually are there - they do it irrespective of that) means that Aussies do not tend to complain about their country like British people do - even if there are things they do not like/agree with. It's not in their national character to slag off their own nation. Some strange Brits seem to take that to mean that Australia is perfect.

Good luck with the next step of your lives! Your son will be lucky to have that wealth of experience and variety when he is growing up - along with the connections of an extended family (priceless!!!!)

There ARE quite a lot of Aussies who think that their home city/state has gone downhill. And many of them would be correct.

Don't forget that the VERY high level of patriotism and flag-waving in Australia (which is NO indication of how good/bad things actually are there - they do it irrespective of that) means that Aussies do not tend to complain about their country like British people do - even if there are things they do not like/agree with. It's not in their national character to slag off their own nation. Some strange Brits seem to take that to mean that Australia is perfect.

BUT...Its not the lack of slagging your country off that gets on peoples nerves its the ability to state one thing when ALL evidence states something different.

Archived