Has anyone moved whilst their children are in Year 11 (UK)

debbie2302

Im in a bit of a dilemna and was wondering if anyone out there could help me.

A bit of background - we have had our 175 PR visa now for 21 months, was due to go last year but eldest daughter (who wasnt coming with us anyway) fell pregnant. I wanted to be here for the birth of my first grandchild who is one in a couple of weeks.

We did our reccie to Sydney 12 months ago and loved Oz.

My dilemna is: I have 15 year old triplets who are about to start Year 11 here in the UK in September. We have always said that we will wait for them to finish their education (GCSEs) here in the UK and then look to move over.

A few days ago my husband was contacted by his company in Oz (he met up with them on our reccie last year) and they have a number of vacancies but are desparate for him to move over now.

What do we do because im worried that if we dont like it in oz or dont settle then what do my other children do about their education if we return to the UK.

Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation and possibly returned, does the oz education have any resemblance over here or would they need to go onto further education back in england before trying to get into uni.

I know I might sound like im negative, I really dont want to have to return to the UK but you do hear a lot of people doing this so im just being very cautious.

Look forward to any views.

Debbie

xxx

It's very tricky at that age to be honest. Most states have a 2 year final course (11/12) and kids start year 11 in the Feb when they are either just 16 or just about to turn 16. Their year 12 results wont travel back to UK as well as A levels travel to Aus and if you have been out of the country for the 3 years prior to uni then they will be slugged international student fees in UK unis.

The best option is to let them finish A levels then the world really is their oyster - UK or Aus unis without additional penalty and relatively lower A level grades for equivalent courses in Aus.

In Australia the school leaving age is pretty much universally 17 these days (unless in full time work/training) so their second best option would be to get them here by Feb so they can start year 11 and do the full two year course then they wont have to faff around with conversions and run the risk of being disadvantaged if they need competitive scores for uni at the end of year 12. You are pretty much stuck here then until they have finished honours at uni (4 years) when there is a real equivalence with UK honours degrees.

• 7 months later...

hi Debbie

i would be interested to know what u decided to do about yr daughters education? i guess there is never a right time for some things :-) but by the time things will be ok for us to move my daughters will be in yr 10 so they will be in oz to do HSC but will not have GCSEs should we end up moving back to uk hopefully this isnt going to happen but i suppose i am trying to not burn any bridges for them!!! if u know what i mean....its tough but i feel that if we wait we wont ever get to oz :-(

thank you

joanna

A bit of background - we have had our 175 PR visa now for 21 months, was due to go last year but eldest daughter (who wasnt coming with us anyway) fell pregnant. I wanted to be here for the birth of my first grandchild who is one in a couple of weeks.

My dilemna is: I have 15 year old triplets who are about to start Year 11 here in the UK in September. We have always said that we will wait for them to finish their education (GCSEs) here in the UK and then look to move over.

A few days ago my husband was contacted by his company in Oz (he met up with them on our reccie last year) and they have a number of vacancies but are desparate for him to move over now.

What do we do because im worried that if we dont like it in oz or dont settle then what do my other children do about their education if we return to the UK.

Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation and possibly returned, does the oz education have any resemblance over here or would they need to go onto further education back in england before trying to get into uni.

I know I might sound like im negative, I really dont want to have to return to the UK but you do hear a lot of people doing this so im just being very cautious.

Debbie

xxx

Hi Debbie

We are in the same boat and it is a huge dilema...we have talked about us all going out and then leting him come back and stay with grand parents to finish his GCSEs. The only saving grace is our eldest will drop back a year when we go to Oz, still dont know wat to do for the best though!

Would be interested to see the replies...

Guest jscott1922

its a hard one this,my daughter is 13 and obviously its the start of GSE's so a little concerned as to how the education works there..good luck.im from ellesmere port not to far from warrington either,what is it all us northern's wanting to get out of here is the cheshire oaks not enough ha ha..whats your hubbys proffession..take care:biggrin:

We are in a similar position my son is finishing his Gcse's this summer then we are travelling to Ormeau Qld i wanted him to go back to school to make friends, but do you think they will let him attend he wont get there until September it was unfortunate how the visa process took we startd back in 2009. My sister who lives in Ormeau is under the impression that he would notget a job unless he finished year 12. Any help with this information would be great

many thanks

June

We are in a similar position my son is finishing his Gcse's this summer then we are travelling to Ormeau Qld i wanted him to go back to school to make friends, but do you think they will let him attend he wont get there until September it was unfortunate how the visa process took we startd back in 2009. My sister who lives in Ormeau is under the impression that he would notget a job unless he finished year 12. Any help with this information would be great

many thanks

June

Well I started this post last year and yes, we are still here in the UK. Going to Melbourne for two weeks at Easter to make our final decision as to whether its what we want or not.

It will be around Sept/Oct when we make the move if we go and ive spoken with a few people and they said that the children would be at the end of Year 11 then with a view to going into Year 12 in the Jan, but this is not a good move for them cos they wouldnt get their full two years in their education to get a qualification for uni, so I have been informed that they could start year 11 again in the Jan 2013, which I would think would be better for them, wouldnt be as much pressure on them workwise whilst they made friends.

Mind you I have three of them, one wants to go, one doesnt and the other can make up her mind, wish we had of decided on going earlier then wouldnt have had these problems, lol, teenagers !!!!!!

Debbie

Debbie

xxx

Hi and welcome

I have been there and done it. At the time of moving here 3 years ago my kids where 13, 15, and 16. The 16 year old did not take her Exams in the UK. We came here in the Jan of 2009 and she started school in the feb and went into year 11, at 1st she was not happy but soon enjoyed life here in OZ and made loads of friends. She stayed on to do year 11 and 12 so passed her exams in this country.

If you dont have plans to go back to the UK and live then I would say come now, and get them imto school ASAP, the sooner they are there the better. ur exam results dont mean anything out here if you take them in the UK.

My son who is 16 is now in year 12, and loving every minute of it. he will just be 17 when he leaves, hes the youngest kid in his year.

He is hoping to go to Uni when hes finished, so depending on the results of ur kids and what they take, they will not have to return to the UK to go to uni, they can go here.

Hope this helps I can,t say it works for everyone but it worked for my daughter at that age, we also live in Sydney, so it will be the same for you as it was for me. Different states do differnt things.

If there is anything else I can help with just PM and I will do my best to answer it for you.

Hope it all goes well

Anita :)

Debbie

xxx

This is a predicament I am in !!!

My son is 15 and in his final year of school. He takes his exams this year.

My daughter is 13 and will be starting her coursework in September for her exams.

Can't move over until August, if it happens because of my sons exams. OK can possibly work around that. It's my daughter. I'm concerned that moving over is going to problems in her education.

So yes Debbie big decisions or what?

me too!! :-)

My Son will be finishing high school this year after his exams. I thought it would be best for him to gain his GCSE's as I don't know what his future plans are and if he was ever to move back to the UK at least he'd have his qualifications under his belt. (not that we're in Oz ;-) but hopes are high)

He's fully aware that once over there he'd have to go back a year to complete the 2yrs that are required to proceed to further education. He's not at all bothered about this...luckily... it's just the uniforms that are putting him off :-) decisions decisions xx

Oh no i feel really sick, i really keep telling him to come but i dont think i can really get him to start year 11 again in January, but as you have said hes education wont be recognised there, is there any alternatives to this does anyone know, i have bigged the place up and telling how much better there lives will be HELP!:chatterbox:

It's difficult for them isn't it. They've worked hard throughout high school and now we want to send them back again :-/ If it were me at 16 I'd be a bit peeved too. I explained to my Son that it just wouldn't be the same: work, school jor friends wise... for him to do this would give him a great opportunity to 'fit in', so to speak. Find his feet and hopefully make some great mates. I also promised him a tattoo for his 18th ;-)

Good luck x

I am also in the same boat (I am on a 176 visa).

My elder son will complete his GCSEs this JUne and my younger one would of completed Year 7.

I'm due to arrive in July and I've contacted a few schools in Sydney. The younger one is obviously not an issue, as he will just continue Year 7 and go to Year 8 in Jan 2013.

Regards the older one, if we get him to continue Year 11 (HSC) when the new term starts in July (Term 2/3 ?), and he has chosen at least 4 (out of a possible 5) HSC subjects which he has already done at GSCE, then there is a possibility he can catch up on the subjects, on the assumption he has covered a lot of topics already in GCSE. This leaves him with only 1 subject he has too 'fully' catch up on.

Obviously, this may or may not work, depending on the individual. If it doesnt, then he simply goes in Year 11 again in Jan 2013! If it does works they can save a year on their studies (and possible fees for some parents).

(Now the other worries....

1. Terrible exchange rate, so dont want to sell the house yet

2. Apart from being expensive to rent, reading about horror stories on this site regards rentals. Hoping it's not as bad in the 'burbs in Sydney (10-30 km out of the CBD).

3. Dental/Medical costs seem to be a worry

4. Where will I get my ingredients for my curry ;-)

....)

Archived