Back home in Scotland after 12 years in Oz ....

Stovies

... and so happy. All the grief, worry and stress (please look back at my previous posts... seems like a million years ago) was worth it. I am HOME.

We have bought a lovely home in the country. The children have settled in super well at school. I am loving being home and being able to feel whole again.

It was such a difficult decision to come home (difficult only through fear of the unknown) but soooooo worth it. I love being in Scotland and I am never leaving it ever again!!!!

I would say the important things to bring back are NI number, driving licence and UK passport. It has been a bit stressfull getting things like Child Benefit, UK driving licence (photo licence) and NHS card but it all worked out fine ... just bear in mind it is not a case of simply slotting in if you've been away for as long as we have .. but it does happen.. just research and prepare.

The longing to be here was not just my imagination or me being fanciful... it is a real longing and that longing has been fulfilled :biggrin:

Evening,

Great to hear you are settled back in Scotland. Not a bad place to be! We are planning our journey to Perth presently, which we are really looking forward to.

Who knows were we will be in 12 years from now though!

Out of interest where have you moved to? Is it the place you are originally from? Only asking as from Moray, but live down in west Lothian now.

Donna x

Evening,

Great to hear you are settled back in Scotland. Not a bad place to be! We are planning our journey to Perth presently, which we are really looking forward to.

Who knows were we will be in 12 years from now though!

Out of interest where have you moved to? Is it the place you are originally from? Only asking as from Moray, but live down in west Lothian now.

Donna x

Thanks Pablo :hug:

Hi Donna...... we are originally from North Berwick but have settled now in West Lothian! .. it is so lovely here.. countryside yet 10-15 mins to the biggest shopping centre in Scotland. Most of our family have drifted out this way now. Whereabout in West Lothian are you?

Thanks Pablo :hug:

Hi Donna...... we are originally from North Berwick but have settled now in West Lothian! .. it is so lovely here.. countryside yet 10-15 mins to the biggest shopping centre in Scotland. Most of our family have drifted out this way now. Whereabout in West Lothian are you?

Hiya, we are staying in a newish housing estate in Armadale. We boought the house blind when we lived in Cyprus, had never been to west Lothian. Our circumstances all changed, as we had bought the house as a buy to let, but ended up moving in. Been in the house about 5 years now, its going up for sale shortly though!

Were have you bought? We were at Beecraigs this morning though, and on the drive up, I have to say, Scotland did look pretty impressive!!

x

Guest nadiamurray
Hiya, we are staying in a newish housing estate in Armadale. We boought the house blind when we lived in Cyprus, had never been to west Lothian. Our circumstances all changed, as we had bought the house as a buy to let, but ended up moving in. Been in the house about 5 years now, its going up for sale shortly though!

Were have you bought? We were at Beecraigs this morning though, and on the drive up, I have to say, Scotland did look pretty impressive!!

x

Hey there Donna, we (husband and 2 children) are also in Armadale but hoping to be in OZ by the end of the year!! small world !! Do you have a preference for where you want to go?

Nadia x

Hey there Donna, we (husband and 2 children) are also in Armadale but hoping to be in OZ by the end of the year!! small world !! Do you have a preference for where you want to go?

Nadia x

Hiya Nadia,

We have State Sponsorship for WA, so looking around Perth. How about you?

Donna x

Guest nadiamurray

hey, I have employer sponsorship for permenant residency with Ramsay Health Care, Joondalup hospital. Feelis like a decade ago I was offered a job!! AHPRA is taking forever !! hopefully worth it in the end x

... and so happy. All the grief, worry and stress (please look back at my previous posts... seems like a million years ago) was worth it. I am HOME.

We have bought a lovely home in the country. The children have settled in super well at school. I am loving being home and being able to feel whole again.

It was such a difficult decision to come home (difficult only through fear of the unknown) but soooooo worth it. I love being in Scotland and I am never leaving it ever again!!!!

I would say the important things to bring back are NI number, driving licence and UK passport. It has been a bit stressfull getting things like Child Benefit, UK driving licence (photo licence) and NHS card but it all worked out fine ... just bear in mind it is not a case of simply slotting in if you've been away for as long as we have .. but it does happen.. just research and prepare.

The longing to be here was not just my imagination or me being fanciful... it is a real longing and that longing has been fulfilled :biggrin:

Isn't it just a great feeling.....................

We have been back for around a month now and like you, I am at peace with myself.

One thing I never gave thought to in the preparation to move back was to get an up to date police check from Australia.....................suffice to say, the past few weeks have been a hive of activity trying to organise this as we closed our bank accounts on leaving Australia.

Hope everything continues to go well for you and yours....................

Isn't it just a great feeling.....................

We have been back for around a month now and like you, I am at peace with myself.

One thing I never gave thought to in the preparation to move back was to get an up to date police check from Australia.....................suffice to say, the past few weeks have been a hive of activity trying to organise this as we closed our bank accounts on leaving Australia.

Hope everything continues to go well for you and yours....................

Hya! Wonderful to be home, isn't it?:smile:

Re police check, this is something that never even crossed our minds and we have never been asked for one! To open new bank accounts here I just needed my UK passport. Also needed the UK passport for signing up with a Doctor, claiming Child Benefit, joining library, getting an up to date UK driving licence... so glad that we renewed them from Aus, even though it was more expensive, it made the situation run much more smoothly. Downsides - I have no No Claims Bonus discount on car insurance so that is high (I have been driving for years without claiming but you have to have had no claims for the two previous years in the UK). House contents and building insurance, again a wee bit higher as we are starting from scratch again (again never claimed for a thing in my life) but these are things we have to take on the chin.. in a few years these will go down again.

Welcome back te gods own country , hope you hinna forgot aboot the good auld scots winters hiv you?:laugh:

Ha ha! Thank you Stevie, no, hinna forgotten! I've got my ain central heating going on so am no a cauld tattie by virtue of being hormonal so I actually prefer the cold... yesterday was bilin' here and it fair took me back to my days of melting under the Aussie sun :no:. I am definately fully appreciative of cold weather and being cosy inside. In fact I love 'bad' weather. I love rain, snow, freezing blasting winds, okay icy roads can be dodgy but I just love real weathery weather. Then I also love Spring here :spinny: when the daffys appear everywhere and the days get brighter. To cut a long story short, I love the Scottish weather.

x

Hya! We are about 5 -10 minutes from Beecraigs. It is just lovely. When we first came back I just drove around here, amazed at the beauty (and green-ness) of it all and also amazed how much I appreciate it all.... now.

Archived