Starting married life in OZ? All I can find is negative feedback :(

Tea4two

Guest The Ropey HOFF
exactly jim. when my friends found out that i was going to the expo you'd think i said i was jumping on a plane on monday. they kept going on about all these people who had went to oz and hated it and wanted to come back. For the number of people who hated it i bet its a lot lot less than the people who love it!!

Theres not many on PIO who have stayed on after migrating they are probably enjoying their life too much, out and about in the great weather, to be bothered being stuck in doors posting on here and if you look at the threads, nearly ALL of them are about migrating issues.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest36187

There are still lots on here that have emigrated and stayed on PIO. Lots of us got help when we needed it and now want to give back.

Plus it ain't always great weather here!!!

There are a lot more reasons than homesickness too as to why people go back.

The problem is that with mining companies they rarely want to wait that long for you. I have had a couple of phone interviews with them recently and one was disappointed with my proposed October start date. I've since seen that job re-advertised so they obviously want someone much sooner. The mining industry can change so quickly they are very unwilling to look too far ahead when it comes to recruitment. A good try is to find a big mine that has a long lead time and they're trying to recruit for an entire mining fleet. For example Ravensthorpe. January is quite a long way away in the mining world.

The problem is that with mining companies they rarely want to wait that long for you. I have had a couple of phone interviews with them recently and one was disappointed with my proposed October start date. I've since seen that job re-advertised so they obviously want someone much sooner. The mining industry can change so quickly they are very unwilling to look too far ahead when it comes to recruitment. A good try is to find a big mine that has a long lead time and they're trying to recruit for an entire mining fleet. For example Ravensthorpe. January is quite a long way away in the mining world.

Yeah i thought that. If he got offered a job tomorrow and a relocation package he would head off in a month or two, he doesnt think things through properly the same as me. I suppose all we can do is see what they say, could maybe shorten it to November, cant go any earlier as we have a holiday booked the end of september which we cant cancel.

Might I advise that child care here in Oz is VERY expensive,you do get tax rebates at the end of the year!And no they do not work nights.

Over here hospitals do do fixed shifts also you may be better joining an agency.The children are going to be in for a big shock settling into school,expect resentment at leaving family and mates.So you will be needed more than ever.

I know a few people who have joined the local church and they got childminders who were retirement ladies who could handle all the teen worrys.Also when they fall sick .Which I have to say is rare here.On a positive side the kids do sports after school and the weather is so lovely most of the year the flu is rare.

My kids were 9yrs,14yrs and 17 when we came over and I have to be honest and say it took the two youngest 2 yrs to settle.The 17 yr old was o.k. once he know he had to change career choice

and settled in 12 months.

As a BUPA nurse with 30 yrs experiance I was shocked at the low wages here even on agency work.I earn more as a craft teacher here.Sorry but as you say you will be on your own and I realy admire you for wanting a better life for you and the family. But if you can make some contacts over here before making the plunge it might ease the way.Also if the children can chat to kids who have already made the move that helps.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Guest guest36187

Jennifer....u really earn less??? I'm earning in a fortnight what I earnt in a month in the UK!

Guest MalMonroe

Hi! I would say go for it. You are both young, and if you are prepared to work, then you will have it made. In my experience, Oz loves hard workers and rewards them accordingly. My husband and I (after a three year stint in South Africa) went to Qld in the 70s, had a baby and then I was terribly homesick so we returned home. He didn't want to leave and it was the worst thing we ever did, unfortunately. But I wanted my child to know both our families. However, nowadays there's Skype and other great ways to keep in touch. I do regret returning to the UK (Yorkshire) - I'll never be able to get back to Oz now. The irony is that my husband and I divorced in the 80s and now he's living in Oz again. I have found it really difficult to settle back in the UK, still have itchy feet and probably always will. Good luck!! :biggrin:

Thank you all for your honest replies, it really helps to make the best decision possible when you hear both sides :)

Sorry I haven't been on here to say thank you quicker but we have been moving house..what a chore that was! But keys handed to the new owners and now enjoying some luxuries staying with the inlaws!

The big decision - well we decided to go for it as many of you advised. I think it would be different if we loved our life here but we don't so we are going for the change. Skills test application has been sent off and i'm sure they will take the money any day now so no going back :)

I was a little disheartened to hear that the priority processing times have changed though...ours was initially up to 12 months once we lodged with the DIAC (hopefully after a successful skills test) but now it says 12-24 months. We were heading over the New Zealand to work for a year on our second 12 month visa while we waited for the OZ one to come through but now we are in limbo as don't want to pay for flights to NZ and have to come back if the OZ visa hasn't come through :arghh: lol always changes and decisions to be made! xx

Well done congratulations!!!!!! :jiggy: Dont worry maybe it wont take as long as that, best of luck to you both!! We are the same, when we told people we were thinking of moving all my friends said they dont know how i could leave. i know it sounds very weird but ive never felt like i belong here, i dont know if thats the right way to describe it but cant think of another way. im just not attached to this place the same as other people are

You must be so excited! best of luck to you!

stacey x

Guest reevesy

You're in a much better position than we were 4 months ago, and it's worked out ok for us!

We had our doubts too, most especially about the financial side of things. We didn't sell the hosue as we wouldn't have made any kind of decent profit on it anyway, so it's now rented out. We came out with virtually bugger all real cash to play with and were despertaely worried that we might not get jobs quickly but hoping that what we'd been told was true. But no word of a lie, my husband (a mechanic) walked into a garage 5 days after arriving and was offered a job on the spot and started the following week. I managed to get a great job, something I'd always wanted to do, within 2 weeks. We were lucky that my brother lives here so we had somewhere to stay initially though.

We had been told about the rental crisis in Sydney and how hard it would be to find anywhere to rent, so started looking straight away. We put an application in for a place the day after I was offered my job, just to see how the process went, and ended up getting it, to our utter surprise. We moved in 2 weeks later. And then a few days after that we won a TV in a competition. I mean seriously, wtf?! We'd had such bad luck in the UK the previous 2 years, so it really felt like we'd landed on our feet, and we still feel that way 4 months on. We may be paying about twice in rent than our mortgage in the UK was, but we're earning three times our joint income as well, so the proportion works out extremely well.

So yea, it takes hard work, but it's been so worth it. You just have to have the drive to seize each opportunity. We work bloody hard and longer hours than ever, but we play hard at the weekends too, and are doing so much more than we ever did back in the UK. We're around the same age as you. For us it was a case of staying in the Uk and having a baby when we just couldn't afford to (all our friends are having babies which doesn't help), or move to Oz and reclaim our own lives first and pay off debts by sending money home before we consider starting a family. We realised there was only ever one way round to do it. So we might be putting off a family for another couple of years, but at least we'll know we did everything we could to put us in a better financial position than before. Right now, we earn so much more, we're able to pay everything that's left as debt back at home twice as fast as we would have before (no running away from it!). Who knows what will happen next. Will we want to go back and have a family close to home? Who knows? For now it doesn't matter. Just gotta live for the moment really.

Good luck!

Guest reevesy

Oh yes, and regarding food shopping, yes it is more expensive if you just use the supermarket alone, but only because prices vary enormously for things like fruit & veg and meat. Here, it's cheaper to go old school and find your local greengrocer, butchers, fishmonger, bakery and chinese supermarket, then do the proper supermarket at the end. They say there's not a lot of choice, but believe me, a greengrocer will have more strange looking fruit and veg than you've ever seen in your life!

Oh yes, and regarding food shopping, yes it is more expensive if you just use the supermarket alone, but only because prices vary enormously for things like fruit & veg and meat. Here, it's cheaper to go old school and find your local greengrocer, butchers, fishmonger, bakery and chinese supermarket, then do the proper supermarket at the end. They say there's not a lot of choice, but believe me, a greengrocer will have more strange looking fruit and veg than you've ever seen in your life!

I have been thinking about the cost of food in Oz and you state the answer here. I intend to go to farmers markets. Here in the UK I do use supermarkets but, I try to get meat fron the butchers, bread from the bakery and veg from the veg shop. This helps the local economy and I get better quality food.

In the UK we have lost touch with local producers and the benefits of supporting them. We were sold a lie about the buying power of supermarkets giving us value. It was sold to us for long enough to put local shops out of business. Supermarkets are not cheap for food. I am glad that it is known that local producers are cheaper in Australia.

It is less convenient to shop around. Buy a lot of freezer space and do it once a month for meat.

Archived