Arriving Bris/Gold Coast Early September

Doc 53

Hi Carla,

Our daughter is four and a half, we are really hoping she thrives in Oz!

We were watching poms in paradise tonight and got the Yay! Just want to start the adventure now.

What do you and David do? John is an engineer and will probably get his CV up in the next couple of weeks.

Hi i hate to burst your bubble,but it would be interesting to watch Poms in Paradise,to see if it was about the Gold Coast. And if it told the truth about the Gold Coast,and what is happening there.The Gold coast is the capital of crime in Queensland.It's out of control,a 50 strong speacial police squad has been set up,to try and stop the killings,armed roberies,shoot outs,bashings.You name it.It's all happening.Friends of ours have recently moved out,because or all the young gangs,rowdy anti social violent drunken behavior.The Gold Coast is always on the news.and it's usualy bad news.Then they have schoolies week, once a year,you won't beleive what thats all about.The Qld gov.discribed it once,as a learning curve for young adults?When everyone liveing on the tourist strip want it banned.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lyndsey,

Thanks for the e-mail, I am John, Netty's hubby.

We would love to meet up when we get to Ashmore!! Me and Annette were thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were settling in, glad to hear it is going well.

How will we find you? We land next Thu (the 1st).

Carla how goes it with you also?

I hadbetter crack on, the shippers arrive in the next hour or so!

Hi i hate to burst your bubble,but it would be interesting to watch Poms in Paradise,to see if it was about the Gold Coast. And if it told the truth about the Gold Coast,and what is happening there.The Gold coast is the capital of crime in Queensland.It's out of control,a 50 strong speacial police squad has been set up,to try and stop the killings,armed roberies,shoot outs,bashings.You name it.It's all happening.Friends of ours have recently moved out,because or all the young gangs,rowdy anti social violent drunken behavior.The Gold Coast is always on the news.and it's usualy bad news.Then they have schoolies week, once a year,you won't beleive what thats all about.The Qld gov.discribed it once,as a learning curve for young adults?When everyone liveing on the tourist strip want it banned.

Hi Zack, cheers for the heads up, although we intend to live between Bris and the gold coast, so gold coast is accessible but we are not in the hustle and bustle of at tourist area.

It sounds as if Oz has it's problems too. I am sure you saw the riots on TV over here, looting by kids with no future, nothing to lose.

I am not sure if you are from UK but we also have major gang problems here now, based mainly around religion/sectarian/affluence divide, to the point UK Gov't has just hired former New York head copper to advise! Quite what a man who headed a police force with 400 active violent street gangs (presently that is), can offer Christ alone knows.

Thanks again for the heads up.

^^ seriously the gold coast isnt that bad.

Surfers/broadbeach area, given, is crap, because its a main tourrist strip. But Violence in Sydney/Melb wherever is just as bad IMO

Surfers schoolies is no worse that Byron Schoolies is not worse than anywhere elses schoolie celebrations. The media just like to over glorify everything becuase what other dribble do they have to put on the news:rolleyes:

ive lived everywhere along the nnsw/qld coast from Ballina to Brisbane and ive always felt safe walking down the street at night on my own.

I wouldnt live anywhere else in Australia

Hi Zack

Poms i Paradise was actually all about the GoldCoast and did spend a bit o time with one of the ambulance crew out there and it wasn't pretty but there wasn't anything any worse than there is in the UK. But obviously they didn't show anything too bad on TV!

I must admit that a friend of mine lives in Qld and has also warned me of the same and it has made me have second thoughts about moving near to that part. We spent a fair amount of time there on our reccie but obviously it won't be a true picture after just a few weeks! When we get out there in the next few months we will be having a good explore. I expect my husband will be getting a job in Brissie.

Whereabouts are you? Can you recommend any good areas. Having two young girls we want to ensure that we are in the best area possible.:biggrin:

Hi Netty and Carla,

It's very real for us now as we have arrived down under!!! This is our third day! Netty I noticed you said you have your movers coming tomorrow? Lots of luck with that!

The journey was not as bad as we thought with our two kiddies. The best thing we did was to book night flights as they both did sleep for quite a while. It was uncomfortable though as you just can't move or lie back much.Singapore airlines were great and the flights both went well, the last two afternoons we have all been very tired with the jet lag it really sets in on the afternoons. Today I feel almost back to normal. From what we have seen of the Gold coast so far it is amazing! We can't wait to find a house and so we can start to enjoy living here, there seems to be an awful lot to do here when you have got children. It kind of reminds me of a little Miami with all of the sky rises.

If you have any questions before you leave just ask. I would strongly suggest that you bring a few warm cardigans/ jumpers with you as the mornings here are freezing at the moment! It has rained a bit also, but we were told today it hasn't rain at all for ages so they do need it. September is supposed to be lovely as it's the start of spring. Good luck to both of you with your pending moves to oz.

Netty when you arrive at Ashmore if you would like to meet up sometime just ask at reception where the Barfields are staying and they will tell you which number and street we are in the resort as I will tell them that I am waiting to hear from you,

kind regards,

Lyndsey

Hi Lyndsey

Lovely to hear from you - really exciting to hear how it's all going! I shall be very jealous of you and Netty both being out there when we are still trying to sell the house!

The estate agent has said it's really slow at the moment due to the Summer hols and lots of people being away. We are going to assess the situation again beginning/end of Sept and decide whether or not to rent out the house instead. Did you sell before you came?

Keep us posted on how it's all going out there! Good luck with it all.

Carla

Guest welshspark

Sounds gud Should feel like home then, should settle in, in no time lol:wink:

Sounds gud Should feel like home then, should settle in, in no time lol:wink:

I was thinking that, I am originally from Newport and am now living in Birmingham!!! We live in what is actually quite a nice area, however the local kids here keep ramming the local park implements and burning out stolen cars when they are finished. I am thinking about volunteering at the local comp "shop - play park, which should we ram with a stolen car and why? Discuss". At least then the scalies will earn some cash and the younger kids will have some toys to play with. Until they are old enough to steal cars that is........

Hi Lyndsey

Lovely to hear from you - really exciting to hear how it's all going! I shall be very jealous of you and Netty both being out there when we are still trying to sell the house!

The estate agent has said it's really slow at the moment due to the Summer hols and lots of people being away. We are going to assess the situation again beginning/end of Sept and decide whether or not to rent out the house instead. Did you sell before you came?

Keep us posted on how it's all going out there! Good luck with it all.

Carla

Carla, how are you guys doing?

We have just had the shipping go and have been cleaning the house ready to hand back. Me and Annette are really tired!!!

Carla, how are you guys doing?

We have just had the shipping go and have been cleaning the house ready to hand back. Me and Annette are really tired!!!

Hiya

How did it go with the shippers? Who was it you had? Sorry, memory like a sieve!!! We had Crown come to give us a quote today - lets see what they come back with! :biggrin: No more viewers yet! We were sat watching our aussie video tonight of our reccie last year and our girls were desparate to get back out there again after watching that! (us too!) Is it 27th you fly out? How are you managing without any of your "stuff" :biggrin:

Hey All

I remember sorting out all the things in the UK and the lists of things to do that went on and on. I moved to the Gold Coast with my partner over 6 months ago now and love it. We live in Robina and have no hassles at all and feel very safe here. We don't goto surfers often as it's all a bit too touristy and probably a bad mad on a weekend. There is good and bad everywhere.

We have found some lovely not so touristy beaches such as Burleigh Heads and Kirra which are worth a look. Robina has a massive shopping centre which is fairly new and has everything you need. Southport will probably be the closest to you guys at Ashmore and has Australia Fair shopping centre where you can get your medicare sorted. If you want any further info about arriving or the area drop me a line. Always happy to meet new folks so give me a shout if you want to meet up either.

Have a safe trip and don't believe all the stuff you here about the Gold Coast there are some good places and good people.

^^ take the time to go a lil further south if looking for beaches...

down past kingscliff towards Fingal beach/hastings point wooyung etc

Hey All

I remember sorting out all the things in the UK and the lists of things to do that went on and on. I moved to the Gold Coast with my partner over 6 months ago now and love it. We live in Robina and have no hassles at all and feel very safe here. We don't goto surfers often as it's all a bit too touristy and probably a bad mad on a weekend. There is good and bad everywhere.

We have found some lovely not so touristy beaches such as Burleigh Heads and Kirra which are worth a look. Robina has a massive shopping centre which is fairly new and has everything you need. Southport will probably be the closest to you guys at Ashmore and has Australia Fair shopping centre where you can get your medicare sorted. If you want any further info about arriving or the area drop me a line. Always happy to meet new folks so give me a shout if you want to meet up either.

Have a safe trip and don't believe all the stuff you here about the Gold Coast there are some good places and good people.

Hi there

Thanks for the info. It's all too easy to listen to scaremongerers isn't it! The worrier side of me believes all that but the other half of me says that we didn't see anything like that whilst we were out there for a while last year. We loved Burleigh Heads and Kirra Beach - they were lovely. We will be staying with rellies in Pacific Pines when we first arrive and hubby is looking for work. We really liked that area too.

Would love to meet up when we first arrive.

Carla :biggrin:

^^ take the time to go a lil further south if looking for beaches...

down past kingscliff towards Fingal beach/hastings point wooyung etc

Thanks - we found some great shells at Hastings Point one day! We stopped there on the way back from Byron Bay one day whilst we were out on our reccie!

Give me a shout when you get here or before you you have any questions.

We have found lots of expat groups in and around this area which helps with settling in and making new friends.

Happy to pass on any info.

Hi Netty and Carla,

It's very real for us now as we have arrived down under!!! This is our third day! Netty I noticed you said you have your movers coming tomorrow? Lots of luck with that!

The journey was not as bad as we thought with our two kiddies. The best thing we did was to book night flights as they both did sleep for quite a while. It was uncomfortable though as you just can't move or lie back much.Singapore airlines were great and the flights both went well, the last two afternoons we have all been very tired with the jet lag it really sets in on the afternoons. Today I feel almost back to normal. From what we have seen of the Gold coast so far it is amazing! We can't wait to find a house and so we can start to enjoy living here, there seems to be an awful lot to do here when you have got children. It kind of reminds me of a little Miami with all of the sky rises.

If you have any questions before you leave just ask. I would strongly suggest that you bring a few warm cardigans/ jumpers with you as the mornings here are freezing at the moment! It has rained a bit also, but we were told today it hasn't rain at all for ages so they do need it. September is supposed to be lovely as it's the start of spring. Good luck to both of you with your pending moves to oz.

Netty when you arrive at Ashmore if you would like to meet up sometime just ask at reception where the Barfields are staying and they will tell you which number and street we are in the resort as I will tell them that I am waiting to hear from you,

kind regards,

Lyndsey

Hi Lindsay, welcome to Oz. Hope you are finding your way round ok. If you need any help feel free to ask. We live in Pimpama so not too far from Ashmore. I have 2 kids aged 7 & 5, settled into Ozzie life no probs. Love school, etc, etc..... PM me if you need anything even a coffee. We only got here in April so know how it can all feel..

Welcome, hope you will all be very happy.

x Helen

Hi Netty and John,

I have just noticed your reply on pomsinoz. You are probably in the air now! When you get to Ashmore you could just ask where the Barfields are staying. We will let reception know that we have friends arriving. Am sure we will see you though they are numerous kids activities going on in the mornings, we haven't got to any of them yet as have been so busy house hunting! Good luck and hope to see you over this weekend once you have got over the jet lag!

Kind Regards,

Lyndsey

Hi Lyndsey,

Thanks for the e-mail, I am John, Netty's hubby.

We would love to meet up when we get to Ashmore!! Me and Annette were thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were settling in, glad to hear it is going well.

How will we find you? We land next Thu (the 1st).

Carla how goes it with you also?

I hadbetter crack on, the shippers arrive in the next hour or so![/quote

Hi Carla,

Thanks for you message. Sorry didn't get back to you earlier we have been so busy since arriving. We rented our house out in the u.k because we knew if we sold it, it would take forever and also we wanted to keep a foot hold in the u.k just incase it doesn't work out for us on the Gold coast.

First impressions are very good, it seems that the Gold coast has so much to see and do.

The kids are loving it.

Have you thought about putting your house up for rent? Our house rented out as soon as it went on the Market! The rental Market seems to be very strong at the moment.

Keep on touch and let me know how you get on, if you have any questions just ask.

Kind Regards,

Lyndsey

Guest welshspark

Well thats the last of our things dropped off at the shipping company, only 10 weeks to go now, starting to get nervous

Hi Carla,

Thanks for you message. Sorry didn't get back to you earlier we have been so busy since arriving. We rented our house out in the u.k because we knew if we sold it, it would take forever and also we wanted to keep a foot hold in the u.k just incase it doesn't work out for us on the Gold coast.

First impressions are very good, it seems that the Gold coast has so much to see and do.

The kids are loving it.

Have you thought about putting your house up for rent? Our house rented out as soon as it went on the Market! The rental Market seems to be very strong at the moment.

Keep on touch and let me know how you get on, if you have any questions just ask.

Kind Regards,

Lyndsey

Hi Lyndsey

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves out there! Any ideas on where you want to rent yet?

We are thinking about putting the house up for rental but if we do that it ill probably be after Christmas. We are going to see how the market goes in Sept - hopefully it will pick up when the children go back after the hols. We would love to be out there earlier but if we decide to rent it out that would be after David has given a months notice at work which would work out to be end of Oct and arriving Nov time which probably wouldn't be the best time to look for a new job what with it being near Christmas etc.

Have you had any news on work yet?

Carla

Guest welshspark
Well my flights are now booked for the 10th November with singapore airlines. 1030 am flight, so 1st day of new life in Brisbane will be 11/11/11 . Am so excited

we are flying to Brisbane with singapore airlines also at 10.30am but are flying out on the 7th of november:biggrin:

Hi Lindsey,

We are at Ashmore Palms now.

We will try and track you down today/tomorrow?

John

Good to hera you got here safely....let the madness of sorting everything out begin :biggrin:

Good to hera you got here safely....let the madness of sorting everything out begin :biggrin:

Hi Louey,

Yep it sure is mad! We finally got unpacked today, is really good to now know where stuff is.

Where are you to Louey? Would you like to meet up with Annette, Arianne and me next week sometime? We are getting a hire car today (should get dropped off in a minute) and would like to give it a try!

Let me know.

We have also met up with Lindsey and Paul, They are really nice guys. They have been really busy! Job sorted, rental sorted kids in school, I must admit we have been really lazy!

John

Archived