Arriving Bris/Gold Coast Early September

Doc 53

hi, we are family of 4 moving to Hawthorne Brisbane september 4th. have you joined the Brisbanites website through facebook there's loads of people chatting about moving to gold coast and brisbane.

Thankyou for that Barry, I will have a look on there today ,good luck with your move, stay in touch.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest surferchicksal

Hi all, just wanted to join this post. We lived on gold coast a few years back . We came home to UK when my daughter was 1 as I thought she would miss out on family. We have now decided that we would like to come back!

My hubby and Daughter are both Aussies and I have a perm residency so no problems there.

We lived in Arundel which is close to pacific pines and helensvale. Both are very nice areas. I found pacific pines a little crowded and overlooked. but thats just my opinion!

Hope your moves all go well. We probably wont be back until early 2013 as we have to save a great deal to get everything right this time.

Our daughter is nearly 4 and need to look into schooling and things for her.

Hi all, just wanted to join this post. We lived on gold coast a few years back . We came home to UK when my daughter was 1 as I thought she would miss out on family. We have now decided that we would like to come back!

My hubby and Daughter are both Aussies and I have a perm residency so no problems there.

We lived in Arundel which is close to pacific pines and helensvale. Both are very nice areas. I found pacific pines a little crowded and overlooked. but thats just my opinion!

Hope your moves all go well. We probably wont be back until early 2013 as we have to save a great deal to get everything right this time.

Our daughter is nearly 4 and need to look into schooling and things for her.

Hi and welcome :biggrin: Glad to hear you want to go back! Good luck with the plans :biggrin:

Hiya

That must have been so stressful - the house falling through three times! We won't be too far from you :biggrin: - it is all dependent on where David gets work though. We love Burleigh heads area and quite a bit of the surrounding areas too. We have got rellies in Pacific Pines and we like Maudsland too.

We only put the house on the market yesterday:shocked: Fingers crossed it goes quickly as we would love to be out there by early Oct. We may well just go anyway even if it hasn't sold as my Mum can help out if necessary. I guess we will see how it goes over the next couple of months.

O know exactly what you mean about the "Yay!" and "OMG!!!" feeling as we are constantly feeling like that at the moment! After watching Poms in Paradise tonight we got the "Yay!" again! :biggrin: Drives you mad doesn't it!

How old is your daughter? Ours are 7 and 9.

Carla

Watching Poms in Paradise to learn anything about living in australia is a little like watching Gardening Time to learn something about Hang gliding.

:spinny:

Watching Poms in Paradise to learn anything about living in australia is a little like watching Gardening Time to learn something about Hang gliding.

I live on the broadwater in labrador and work in the CBD. I love australia, as long as you are prepared to work hard and get along with the aussie culture you will have a ball.

I am never going back as I love it here soooo much, a few pics to expalin why:-

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

I live on the broadwater in labrador and work in the CBD. I love australia, as long as you are prepared to work hard and get along with the aussie culture you will have a ball.

I missed one :arghh:

photo6.jpg

photo6.jpg

Hiya

We don't watch Poms in Paradise to learn about living in Oz - just to remind us of the lovely scenery and weather out there - that's all. I really don't think that there's anything on that program apart from the scenery that would entice us out there if you know what I mean :wink: We have spent a couple of months out here and have rellies out there for understanding that side of things (minimall of course!) but I realise that until you live the life yourself out there you really do not know what it will be like.

Whereabouts are you from?

Sorry, saw the pics and this post after I wrote my last post! Lovely! except the spider!

Hiya

We don't watch Poms in Paradise to learn about living in Oz - just to remind us of the lovely scenery and weather out there - that's all. I really don't think that there's anything on that program apart from the scenery that would entice us out there if you know what I mean :wink: We have spent a couple of months out here and have rellies out there for understanding that side of things (minimall of course!) but I realise that until you live the life yourself out there you really do not know what it will be like.

Whereabouts are you from?

Hi

Ok its good for the scenery although I do find some of the people really false.

I am originally from Brum and have been here 2 years. Getting married in Byron Bay to an awesome Tazzy girl in Feb and just really enjoy life here. However, I do find it expensive out here so I do try and tell people to just be careful when you are here, dont bother comparing the pound to the dollar as you wont be earing pounds and just hunt around for bargains.

You will love it, just know what to expect and give a lot to the experience.

Cheers

Sean

PS The spider was caught in my first month over here, havent seen one as big since.

Guest surferchicksal

Hi all!

We are looking to go back as things didnt turn out well as we expected back in UK! We emigrated to Perth in 2006 and lived there for about a year and did a road trip around the bottom of OZ was fantastic. We visited friends in Noosa which is where I found out I was pregnant so we found an area on the Gold coast that we really liked and settled down. After I had my baby I was very homesick and wanted her to be a part of the family back in UK, so instead of booking a holiday back here we decided to up sticks and come home. I now wish we hadnt bothered. OUr families are not really interested in our little girl and it has been a heartbreaking journey for the last couple of years. Work seems to be drying up for my husband and I can always remember that we were really well off out in Oz. We had a good life and the sun was always shining. My little girl loves being outside and she gets so down in Winter cos she cant go out to play.

We are setting our sights on moving back to the Gold Coast but going to get it right this time. We know cars are expensive out there so we are hoping to import one out but as you have to own it for 12 months first we wont be moving out quick and then there is the saving up for the shipping.

Its good to know what we expect from life out there so we know what we have to sort out here before we come back. Got to get the timing right for our daughter too as we dont want to take her in the heat of summer, but she is due to start school next september, but would only move into kindi for a year in australia! its all tricky but the main thing is we are coming back and we cant wait!!!!

Hi all!

We are looking to go back as things didnt turn out well as we expected back in UK! We emigrated to Perth in 2006 and lived there for about a year and did a road trip around the bottom of OZ was fantastic. We visited friends in Noosa which is where I found out I was pregnant so we found an area on the Gold coast that we really liked and settled down. After I had my baby I was very homesick and wanted her to be a part of the family back in UK, so instead of booking a holiday back here we decided to up sticks and come home. I now wish we hadnt bothered. OUr families are not really interested in our little girl and it has been a heartbreaking journey for the last couple of years. Work seems to be drying up for my husband and I can always remember that we were really well off out in Oz. We had a good life and the sun was always shining. My little girl loves being outside and she gets so down in Winter cos she cant go out to play.

We are setting our sights on moving back to the Gold Coast but going to get it right this time. We know cars are expensive out there so we are hoping to import one out but as you have to own it for 12 months first we wont be moving out quick and then there is the saving up for the shipping.

Its good to know what we expect from life out there so we know what we have to sort out here before we come back. Got to get the timing right for our daughter too as we dont want to take her in the heat of summer, but she is due to start school next september, but would only move into kindi for a year in australia! its all tricky but the main thing is we are coming back and we cant wait!!!!

I thought the only reason you have to own it for 12 months is to save on the import tax, if thats the case depending on the cost and type of car you might be able to move sooner and pay the tax.

Dont blame you for coming back :jiggy:

Sean

Hi there Netty,

Think I have just replied to your husbands message on the forum. You will see that we would be glad to meet up with you sometime in Aug/ Sept. Our daughters are the same age. We to are staying at Ashmore palms.

Kind Regards,

Lyndsey

Lyndsey,

Really close for you now!

Excited yet!

Netty

Hi Sherbet,

Any news on the house yet?

We have been buried, trying to sort the house ready fo the move.

OMG! Less than four weeks now!

Netty.

Hi Netty

OMG - not long to go at all for you guys! I wish that was us! :biggrin: What is it you have been doing to prepare? Have you started power washing everything that you are taking? It must be so exciting when you get to this stage! Are you having leaving parties? We decided that we won't do any of that! Just too emotional!

Keep us posted

Carla

It will be us soon enough though! We haven't had any viewers recently but I'm sure it won't be long (she says optimistically)

Hi Carla, yes panic has set in! We have had to put cars up for sale, buy clothes bedding, sort out lots of different paperwork and because we are renting at moment have started taking down curtains cleaning ect. No I am not having party for same reason, it is going to be hard enough when I hand my cat over to my sister! We are very excited but as you said not looking forward to the bit before we go!how are your plans going time will fly x netty

Hi Carla, yes panic has set in! We have had to put cars up for sale, buy clothes bedding, sort out lots of different paperwork and because we are renting at moment have started taking down curtains cleaning ect. No I am not having party for same reason, it is going to be hard enough when I hand my cat over to my sister! We are very excited but as you said not looking forward to the bit before we go!how are your plans going time will fly x netty

Ooooh exciting! Is the bedding for when you are in your rental?

We have been doing lots of decluttering trying to sort everything - can't believe how much we have accumulated over the years!

Take care x

Us too, most of it we have stored for three years. I have bought new bedding for when we buy new house because we have king size beds and read on pomsinoz in oz that it was best to get bedding here. Shipping coming on 23rd so need to be organised!are you going to be buying new things before you go? Netty

Us too, most of it we have stored for three years. I have bought new bedding for when we buy new house because we have king size beds and read on pomsinoz in oz that it was best to get bedding here. Shipping coming on 23rd so need to be organised!are you going to be buying new things before you go? Netty

Too right! Any excuse for a shopping spree! Mind you I went a bit mad on the online shopping sale for Next a couple of weeks back saying to David that I would need to stock up on lots of decent Summer clothes as they don't have Next in Oz - mind you I have since heard that they now ship to Oz - yay! I don't really know what to do abut getting bedding as our bed has had it really - it's a superking and I don't think you can get superking beds ot there so i don't want to spend a load on bedding out here if they don't have that size bed.

Lyndsey,

Really close for you now!

Excited yet!

Netty

Hi Netty,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Things pretty manic here! Just 2 weeks tonight and we will be boarding the airbus! Getting excited now can't wait, have wanted to move to oz for a long time and now it's upon us!

Good luck with your removals and remember to check all of your cupboards before your container goes as we had a cupboard full of Tupperware left behind! Who is doing you removals? We had John Mason they were excellent.

Kind regards,

Lyndsey

hi Lyndsey omg so soon! How is it all going? How are you coping without all your belongings? I said to John tonight four weeks today and we will be in Ashmore palms!for some reason I feel like I'm just going on holiday.I am going to start sorting out cupboards this weekend so thanks for advise, we to are going with John Mason. These two weeks will go very fast I know you will be busy but try to stay in contact take care Annette

Hey I did the next sale thing to!I'm not sure about superkingsize beds I could do with one of those though!Any more viewings on the house? That must be really difficult trying to keep hous looking like showroom whilst trying to get ready for oz!

Hi Netty,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Things pretty manic here! Just 2 weeks tonight and we will be boarding the airbus! Getting excited now can't wait, have wanted to move to oz for a long time and now it's upon us!

Good luck with your removals and remember to check all of your cupboards before your container goes as we had a cupboard full of Tupperware left behind! Who is doing you removals? We had John Mason they were excellent.

Kind regards,

Lyndsey

Hi Lyndsey

You must be really excited and nervous! We are getting quotes from the shippers over the next couple of weeks so good to hear that John Mason were good as we will be getting a quote from them.

Good luck - hope all goes well for you. As Netty said - keep us posted!!! :biggrin:

hi Lyndsey omg so soon! How is it all going? How are you coping without all your belongings? I said to John tonight four weeks today and we will be in Ashmore palms!for some reason I feel like I'm just going on holiday.I am going to start sorting out cupboards this weekend so thanks for advise, we to are going with John Mason. These two weeks will go very fast I know you will be busy but try to stay in contact take care Annette

Hi again! The thing I miss the most is the washing machine and our comfy sofa! It is very hard work with the children not having their toys, but luckily the weather is on our side and we are going out and about as much as we can. I was so relieved when our container was packed and it was full we couldn't have got anything else in it! I have never worked so hard in my life as I did before the removals came. Have you made sure you have jet washed garden furniture and treated it if necessary? Also any bikes and I lost count of how many pairs of shoes I hand washed with a toothbrush! It took Paul hours to clean all of his collection of tools etc.

If you have anything you need to ask about removals just let me know.

P.s if you get Jimmy and Steve make sure you have plenty of tea and sugar ready!

Lyndsey

Archived