Moving to Canberra next week...friends?!

Guest MNicola

Guest MNicola

Hello Canberrans!

I'm moving to Canberra next week on my lonesome! I'm 28 and taking the plunge moving as it’s the best thing for my career. I start my job almost immediately after my arrival.

I was wondering are there any meet up arranged for July or August time?

Plus I am looking for some temp accommodation city based, could anyone recommend something reasonable?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cool.. was thinking of going there myself but heard from a lot of people that it can be very quiet and boring especially in the evenings.. please do let me know how you get on :)

Hello Canberrans!

I'm moving to Canberra next week on my lonesome! I'm 28 and taking the plunge moving as it’s the best thing for my career. I start my job almost immediately after my arrival.

I was wondering are there any meet up arranged for July or August time?

Plus I am looking for some temp accommodation city based, could anyone recommend something reasonable?

Hi! Welcome to the Forum,

Not sure when the next meetup will be. With winter in full swing I think people want to stay indoors, so BBQ's are out of the question. But, there are quite a few people coming this next month or so, if anyone else has suggestions, I'm sure we can get something going.

What kind of accommodation are you looking for? 1 bed apartment? what price range? How long do you need the place for? Where are you working?

Mat

cool.. was thinking of going there myself but heard from a lot of people that it can be very quiet and boring especially in the evenings.. please do let me know how you get on :)

It really depends where you come from as to how quiet Canberra can seem. We moved from San Francisco, so yes it is a lot quieter here with much less to do. We had heard many bad things about Canberra, mostly from other Aussies, but frankly its not that bad. We are quite happy here for now. It has everything you need, just not as many options as other major cities such Syd & Mel.

I am going to go watch the Kaiser Chiefs in Canberra on the 3rd Aug if you fancy it. Everyone I know don't really know the band as they are mainly aussies, I am going to try and get more people to come along from here, just that most of the people on here are families in their 40's who really wouldn't know or like the chiefs

Shoot me a PM if you are interested

Hi MNicola, we arrive in Canberra in September 2011 and, like you, are looking to find some new friends. Give us a shout if you fancy meeting up for a drink or something - we're both similar ages to you (29 and 30). You'll be able to show us around as you'll have a couple of months head start! :P

Hi

We are moving there next week too I'm 32 so not far off your age, there are loads of us moving in the next couple of months so I'm sure there will be lots of meets going on even if they are indoors :-)

We are travelling around oz at the mo so I'm in and out of the forum but feel free to pm me and it will cone through on email.

Deb

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Guest MNicola
Hi! Welcome to the Forum,

Not sure when the next meetup will be. With winter in full swing I think people want to stay indoors, so BBQ's are out of the question. But, there are quite a few people coming this next month or so, if anyone else has suggestions, I'm sure we can get something going.

What kind of accommodation are you looking for? 1 bed apartment? what price range? How long do you need the place for? Where are you working?

Mat

Hello Mat,

I didn't time it very well arriving in Winter! If there are lots of other people arriving within the next month a meet up would be good.

I'm looking for some temp accomodation for a week or so until I sort out a house share. I've heard allhomes and gumtree are the best places to look? I'm looking for somewhere near Civic, I'm working in Acton so would like somewhere nearish work to start off with.

Thanks!

Nic

Guest MNicola
Hi MNicola, we arrive in Canberra in September 2011 and, like you, are looking to find some new friends. Give us a shout if you fancy meeting up for a drink or something - we're both similar ages to you (29 and 30). You'll be able to show us around as you'll have a couple of months head start! :P

Hello Jay and Jen!

A drink sounds good to me, its quite daunting thinking I'll be arriving and not knowing anyone! Hopefully by the time you both have arrived I will be settled and can show you around.

I will keep you posted on my move. Let me know how you get on too!

Nic

Guest SarahA

:laugh:Hiya MNicola and everybody!

I just moved to Canberra, Page three days ago with my fiancee from Manchester. I'm 30 years old (he's 27) and I will be badly missing the british sense of humour in a few weeks time! So if anybody wants to meet up to go for a drink or something once we get settled in July/August let me know! And perhaps you could enlighten me where the best shops, bars, restaurants are??!

Sarah x

Guest journeydownunder

Hi Everyone,

We arrive in Canberra in a week. Me 31 and boyfriend Alan 34. We'll definitely be up for any gatherings that are taking place. We've got short term accommodation in Braddon for 12 weeks then we'll be looking for somewhere more long term once our furniture arrives.

Really looking forward to exploring the area and finding the good places to go. I know that many people say Canberra is quiet (compared to Sydney etc) but so is the town I come from, when compared to London so I'm sure we'll find plenty to do.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Em & Al

x

Guest lisamhall5225

Hey,

Only been in Canberra myself for a few weeks, so happy to meet up with you anytime. Give me a shout when you get here.

Lisa

Guest Sarah29

Hi Nic,

Congrats on the brave move to Canberra by yourself, I know exactly how it feels! I moved out here on my own 3 years ago when I was 26 and can still remember how scary it was having never been to Canberra before, and not knowing anyone!!

So if you would like a tour guide, I'd be happy to show you the sights of Canberra (wont take very long :laugh:!).

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MNicola

Hi Sarah!

I am finally here in Canberra and sort of settled in! It would be great to meet for a drink?

Nicola

:laugh:Hiya MNicola and everybody!

I just moved to Canberra, Page three days ago with my fiancee from Manchester. I'm 30 years old (he's 27) and I will be badly missing the british sense of humour in a few weeks time! So if anybody wants to meet up to go for a drink or something once we get settled in July/August let me know! And perhaps you could enlighten me where the best shops, bars, restaurants are??!

Sarah x

Hi Sarah. How are things going? We're 55 days from arriving now and the nerves are already starting to kick in......how did you find your last day in Manchester? Jen and I are from manchester too (well stockport actually). There seems a load of us around similar aged all moving within the space of a few months......hopefully we can all stay in touch and meet up soon? Could make the first few months a little less daunting.

Guest Sarah29

Hi Nic!

Glad to hear you made it ok! Where are you staying? A drink would be great, PM me with a day that you're free - preferably not Wednesday as I have to do the lock up at work so wont be finishing til late. Alternately (or aswell!), I'm going to see Harry Potter on Friday with a girl friend if you're interested!

Invite for both extends to anyone else that's interested too, let me know!

Sarah x

Guest SarahA
Hi Sarah. How are things going? We're 55 days from arriving now and the nerves are already starting to kick in......how did you find your last day in Manchester? Jen and I are from manchester too (well stockport actually). There seems a load of us around similar aged all moving within the space of a few months......hopefully we can all stay in touch and meet up soon? Could make the first few months a little less daunting.

Hiya, I'm orginally from Salford and on my 4th week here now and starting to miss Manchester. Its mainly the little things. I miss walking everywhere and not paying an absolute fortune for a taxi on a night out! There are no takeaways that do a decent Kebab, no Primark shops, etc lol... I'm sure once the sun starts shining again all these things will be forgotten when I'm sat around the barbie enjoying a cold one. Oh yeah another thing I miss, especially in the suburbs..that the bar staff actually know there is a third type of wine, where is all the rose! There are a few of us mad people on here moving in the winter when aussie housing doesn't really do radiators! I think the plan is to maybe arrange a few drinks after work one night soon. I know most nights after work I need a drink! Working for the government is not all its cracked up to be! x :wacko:

I hear you on some of them points, but I have been here for over 2 years now (yes I moved over in the winter). Yes you will miss some things from back home but I find focusing on the good things here helps, and yes it is awesome in the summer.

There are more bank holidays here, and most of them bank holidays are during the summer which means you get more time in the sun.

If you want a Rose, then try one of the big bottleshops like jim murphy's or similar ones.

Anyway let me know when your having a beer after work and i will try to come along

And yes working for the government is far better than the private sector

Hi all.

Guess what. Another Mancuinan on his way downunder to Canberra. We will be hitting around Feb. Our Visa was granted recently and we are therefore activating it.

We have a new born (Callum,, now 4 months old,) so are just delaying the move so we can share the littel fella around with Grandparents etc (its the Familes 1st)

I`m 34 (going on 21) and the other half is 30 (going on 41). Like a laugh and dont take thing to seriously.

I`ll keep an eye on this feed and may bump into you in February. Hopefully I`ll see the burgers being flipped from over the fences and will know where to bring the cold ones. (inc Rose Wine)

I`ll kepp an eye on the Raiders too!!!

Cheers All.

Hi all.

Guess what. Another Mancuinan on his way downunder to Canberra. We will be hitting around Feb. Our Visa was granted recently and we are therefore activating it.

We have a new born (Callum,, now 4 months old,) so are just delaying the move so we can share the littel fella around with Grandparents etc (its the Familes 1st)

I`m 34 (going on 21) and the other half is 30 (going on 41). Like a laugh and dont take thing to seriously.

I`ll keep an eye on this feed and may bump into you in February. Hopefully I`ll see the burgers being flipped from over the fences and will know where to bring the cold ones. (inc Rose Wine)

I`ll kepp an eye on the Raiders too!!!

Cheers All.

Canberra will be full of us Mancs come february! I just hope some of them are Man U fans.....I don't fancy spending an entire season without anyone to moan to in the early ours of a sunday morning! Remember to give us all a shout come February! We'll leave a few cold ones in the fridge for you! Congrats on Callum too, can't think of a better place to raise a child!

Canberra will be full of us Mancs come february! I just hope some of them are Man U fans.....I don't fancy spending an entire season without anyone to moan to in the early ours of a sunday morning! Remember to give us all a shout come February! We'll leave a few cold ones in the fridge for you! Congrats on Callum too, can't think of a better place to raise a child!

thanks. apart from Friends and Family... my only last concern was missing the passions of football! Ha.,., Ive been watching it all my life!! And I`m a keen Red!!:notworthy: So good call!!! At least i know Callum will be in safe hands!!

I love football in general so all fans are welcome for the sake of british banter! :hug:

thanks. apart from Friends and Family... my only last concern was missing the passions of football! Ha.,., Ive been watching it all my life!! And I`m a keen Red!!:notworthy: So good call!!! At least i know Callum will be in safe hands!!

I love football in general so all fans are welcome for the sake of british banter! :hug:

You do not know how happy that's made me to know they'll be another red in Canberra! Jen, my girlfriend, hates football so I'd better keep this one from her......she's been hoping this move would be the end of football for good!

Guest MNicola
Hi Nicola, how's it all going? What we're you thoughts when you arrived? Managed to make any friends yet?

Things are going well. Although it is far too cold!! I definately didn't anticipate that! Looking forward to the summer though which isn't too far away. My thoughts when I arrived are what I expected (apart from the cold), I didn't expect a big city but some of the buildings are beautiful and the countryside (the lil I have had time to explore) os great. I'm yet to find a good pub or cocktail bar but I've only been out once so far!!

Archived