Moving to Canberra next week...friends?!

Guest MNicola

Guest Bazinga

Toops - That is a fab post btw :biggrin:

I'm a Spurs fan, Mr B is huge Man Utd fan so last night was interesting in the B household!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Did you manage to end the evening friends ;)

It's not our leaving do till 10Sep, but Jo and Jac (our 12 year old daughter) are off to London for two days tomorrow back for 3 days then off to Lanzarote for 8 days! Leaving Jake (18 year old son) and myself behind to fend for ourselves! Ok so I'm not sure who'll have the most fun lol :)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.439473,-2.062167

Is Tilly Devines an ex-pat run bar? She was an infamous Sydney madam in the 1920s but originally from the UK!

No, it's a lesbian run bar - my kids used to get quite worried when I went there many years ago LOL but it is now very mainstream - and the coffee's not bad either!

Bazinga - cheers, it all helps when you are on your way doesn't it? http://www.tilleys.com.au/history/ Check out Tilly's and the female influences there!

Also - to reassure you me and my hubby got good jobs in the third week. Govt jobs wanted security clearance which is hard to get unless you are a citizen, but we have actually got better paid in private sector so do not be disheartened when you see the 'must be a citizen' malarkey. Good luck all and let's plan a get together at Tilly's coz the sun is on it's way!! Whoopee!

Guest caoimhe

Hi,

I am waiting on my sponsored visa coming through to begin a job in Canberra. I'm 23 and will be arriving october hopefully. My main question is where should I be looking for accommodation. Most people say North is better for younger people. Any suggestions for which suburbs I should be looking at? thanks

Hi,

I am waiting on my sponsored visa coming through to begin a job in Canberra. I'm 23 and will be arriving october hopefully. My main question is where should I be looking for accommodation. Most people say North is better for younger people. Any suggestions for which suburbs I should be looking at? thanks

"Inner" is better for young people than out in the suburbs! Aim for Braddon, Reid, O'Connor, Turner - you will be vying with ANU students but you might find it easier to get a share place with young pros. Alternatively, Barton, Manuka, Griffith, Kingston are also young pro areas.

Guest Bazinga

Dave - I've just realised who you are I think........Do you own a rather lovely lab?? Jo's been really helpful to me on here :D

Hi there, I just found this thread and I have had contact with some but not others so thought I would introduce ourselves as you have to put yourselves out there in a new place.

Thanks for all that information toops! We've only got 13 days left until we leave now! It's all getting very exciting!

• 1 month later...

Calling ALL Man Utd fans - The husband has landed (week ago now) & will be up for beers and footie, esp the 23/10 game. If you PM me I'll pass on his email or you can give me yours and I'll pass it on Ta :S

Archived