Family and I going to Canberra next week - have no accommodation!

MikeW

Hi,

Myself, wife and two children arrive in Canberra Tuesday 28th June. Last week I booked (via phone) one of the popular short term rentals - however, today I had an email saying someone had booked it on-line just before I had booked on the phone.

Therefore I have nowhere to stay!

I have looked at lots of websites but nothing (except for expensive hotels) is available. Does anyone have any tips?!

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi,

Myself, wife and two children arrive in Canberra Tuesday 28th June. Last week I booked (via phone) one of the popular short term rentals - however, today I had an email saying someone had booked it on-line just before I had booked on the phone.

I have looked at lots of websites but nothing (except for expensive hotels) is available. Does anyone have any tips?!

Thanks,

Mike.

WOW! Thats really unprofessional. Did you pay a deposit? And if you booked by phone and someone else was booking on line you would have thought their computer system would flag up that someone had booked it. I would ring them and ask them why it took a week to inform you of this. I truely wish you the best of luck.xxx

Thanks, I actually called them in the morning UK time - which was out of hours in Canberra. Unfortunately the lady who took my booking must not have had on-line access at the time. I have emailed them today to make sure I haven't been charged. They did email me - but got my email address wrong!

Not happy with the service I received!

I've emailed them to complain - let's see what happens... In the mean time the accommodation hunt continues...

Guest siamsusie

Mike, Quoll is a Canberra member, its probably a bit late now for her, but she is an early riser I am sure she will give you a few pointers in about 7 hrs.

Susie x

Hi Matt,

I'm getting to the point where I can't be choosy when it comes to price, so if you have any ideas I would appreciate.

I have been offered a 6 month rental in Queanbeyan in August so I need rental for 6 weeks.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Matt,

I'm getting to the point where I can't be choosy when it comes to price, so if you have any ideas I would appreciate.

I have been offered a 6 month rental in Queanbeyan in August so I need rental for 6 weeks.

Cheers,

Mike.

You might have seen these already, but just in case:

Banksia Apartments

Canberra Wide Apartments

Canberra Short Term and Holiday Accommodation

Canberra Furnished Accommodation

Green Trees Accommodation

Victoria Terrace (min 3 months)

Studio Q

Quest Apartments

CityStyle Executive Apartments

MikeW

I might be flamed (if that term is still in vogue) but have you been to Queanbeyan before? I know us Canberrans are seen as a bit over the top when it comes to bagging Q'ban but, apart from Jerrabomberra, it's not the most desirable of locations.

Hi,

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi Mike

We just arrived in canberra 2 weeks ago and have been staying in Langley Heights in calwell - it is a 2 bed flat under a main house and has European central heating (actual radiators) which is fantastic!! There are 2 beds in the second bedroom and its really comfortable here - we are going to be moving out as soon as we can because we have seen a house that we like and will probably sign the lease. Have you tried Langley Heights? or even www.takeabreak.com.au ? I know the flat is not available for 3 days in July but I think it is available from 4th July - we were charged 85 dollars a night and the guy who owns it is really nice and provides everything for you.

Suzanne

MikeW

I might be flamed (if that term is still in vogue) but have you been to Queanbeyan before? I know us Canberrans are seen as a bit over the top when it comes to bagging Q'ban but, apart from Jerrabomberra, it's not the most desirable of locations.

My question to you is have you been to Queanbeyan? I would say the area around Oaks estate is a bit dodgy (thats in the ACT by the way) but I find that the area where they are looking at the 6 month rental isn't too bad as it is about a 5 min walk from where I live!

MikeW

That's a bit generalistic isn't it? I would have thought there are good and bad parts of Queanbeyan as there are good and bad parts of Canberra.

Actually I just mentioned this to DH and he said the biggest problem with Queanbeyan is that it's full of Canberrans! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thanks for all your replies - very helpful.

I'm in the process of booking with canberra-apartments.com.au. Has anyone used these? They look very nice.

Zman - Never been, but I've researched Queanbeyan on this forum, most people who comment about the City seem to like it. I have it as an option. The more I hear of the place the more it appeals (seems to have a good community)! But I guess you can never tell until you've been there.

Claire - thanks - I did see that apartment myself and came close to booking.

Cheers,

Mike.

Problem with having a rental in Queanbeyan is when you decide you want your kids to go to an ACT school - you have no rights to places and it is very much a matter of negotiation. Chances are you will only find the schools who are hanging out for enrolments (for very good reasons!) are the only ones which will offer a place. You may choose to go private in which case you wont have the same issues but will be up for fees.

As for accommodation http://www.wotif.com/search/Advanced?selectedSuggestionId=&viewType=all&startDay=&searchTerms=&country=AU&region=12&destination=&adults=0&children=0&child1Age=1&child2Age=1&child3Age=1&child4Age=1&child5Age=1&child6Age=1&child7Age=1&child8Age=1&child9Age=1&accommodationTypeMatch=Self_Catering_Apartments&roomTypeCategoryMatch=&starRatingMatch=&maximumPrice=&isoCurrencyCode=AUD

http://www.check-in.com.au/CanberraHotels/Canberra_Serviced_Apartments.htm

http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/act?view=availability

I should imagine that you are going to have to pay through the nose for a serviced apartment at the moment but some of the ones mentioned by matjones usually have vacancies.

MikeW

And even Jerrabomberra leaves a lot to be desired unless you have a passion for planes on the arrivals flight path brushing your rooftops at regular intervals.

And even Jerrabomberra leaves a lot to be desired unless you have a passion for planes on the arrivals flight path brushing your rooftops at regular intervals.

Charnwood, Richardson, Lanyon are not the best places to live either from what I hear, but to say the whole of Queanbeyan is not a nice place to live is like saying the whole of London isn't a nice place to live, granted places like Brixton are bad but you also have places like Northwood that are really exclusive. East Queanbeyan where Mike is looking at isn't a bad place to live

Charnwood, Richardson, Lanyon are not the best places to live either from what I hear, but to say the whole of Queanbeyan is not a nice place to live is like saying the whole of London isn't a nice place to live, granted places like Brixton are bad but you also have places like Northwood that are really exclusive. East Queanbeyan where Mike is looking at isn't a bad place to live

No, it was tongue in cheek - sorry - there are parts of Qbn I would be much happier to live in than some parts of ACT but it is a very different culture - the NSW country town culture - which is quite different from ACT.

Guest SandP
Hi,

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi Mike

When we arrived inApril we stayed in Ainslie we stayed in a two bed chalet/cottage rented through Canberra Short Term Holidays. It was a bit pricey at $900 a week but the second bed has two single and there was a camp bed type affair so I don't know how many of you there are but it may be big enough for a short stay. We stayed for 3 and a half weeks.

If you do look into it be warned it is a very cold house and the only heating is via oil filled rads and electric heaters but it is very central and provided a good base.

All the best with the move and let us know how you get on.

Sara

Archived