St john ambulance applicants

Guest Joey0483

Guest dannywh

Try and bear with it and dont give up. I got short listed in august and had my final interview on tuesday. They said il hear end of next week. Fingers crossed will be there feb or april. Just keep ring them or e mail so they know ur keen.

Hope it all goes well

Dan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mrsmith

Hi Dan,

I have some questions about the interviews....What questions did they ask? I have the video conference one with the recruitment manager so do you have any tips.

Also what clinical questions did they ask you?

Anyway good luck

Robin

Guest mrsmith

Hi, I have an interview coming up with the recruitment manager for St Johns, can u remember the type of questions they asked u

• 2 weeks later...

DH went to a recruitment day today. Says it was very informative. They explained bandings, wages and A/L amongst other things. Also advised they had training courses running Dec 2011, Feb, Apr and July 2012 with more to come but she didn't have those listed. Am hoping if things go well we might get the July course at the latest. Failing that, the first course after that.

Guest NI2Perth

Hi all,

My husband has an interview as a para next week, only found out today so one week to prepare, anyone any advice or experience please.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...
Cheers mate.

Will give you an update when done.

Thanks again and hope u hear soon

Hi Danny,

How did the interview go? and have you heard from them with an offer of employment yet? I moved to oz in Oct and applied in April. I am awaiting final approval now... its been 3 weeks since my final interview!

Guest widmers

:smile:Hi Meljayg,

I am interested in how your partner is finding the job search for metal machinist in western australia?

I am looking into being a paramedic but am unsure whether to train here or wait until I get to oz. We already have a visa. For all you qualified paramedics and those who know. what advice would you offer?

cheers

• 1 month later...

I am interested in how your partner is finding the job search for metal machinist in western australia?

I am looking into being a paramedic but am unsure whether to train here or wait until I get to oz. We already have a visa. For all you qualified paramedics and those who know. what advice would you offer?

cheers

Hi,

So sorry I haven't replied earlier, I've only just seen this!!! My OH hasn't really looked for jobs yet, the plan is for me to work and he will stay at home with our boys for the first couple of months, he is considering a change in career, but doesn't know what to.

I qualify as a Paramedic in a few months and I would like to head out to Perth on another reccie and apply to St. Johns next year as they like UK Para's so they tell me, but I do have a friend who emigrated as a technician and has since done his Paramedic training out there, so its up to you I guess. I know Para's out in WA don't have as many skills as UK trained Para's, but I believe that St. Johns are trying to get their Para's at the same skill level, but how long that will take I don't know.....

Good luck with everything, and I hope this helps x

How is everyone's application going?

I applied April 2011, Found out the other day I have the Job and a start date. Very excited but just goes to show... its takes along time! The ball only started moving with my application in October before that I didn't hear anything!

Good luck all :biggrin:

How is everyone's application going?

I applied April 2011, Found out the other day I have the Job and a start date. Very excited but just goes to show... its takes along time! The ball only started moving with my application in October before that I didn't hear anything!

Good luck all :biggrin:

Well done Skipper! Congrats, when is your start date?

DH has had his interview last Thurs(he applied in Aug 2011) and we are just waiting to hear about that.

I start on the 13th Feb, I'm a Technician too and the training prospect is a lot better out here. Its in my contract to be on a paramedic course within 12 months. But i have been told its usually don't at about 6 months! eek scary!

Good luck, Don't give up, keep contacting them. Best advice!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tanya35

Hi everyone,

I'm new to all this, but I applied in November after going along to one of WA information sessions in London. Last week I heard that I'm through to the phone interview stage and that's due to happen in March ~ does anyone have any useful tips, questions that they might ask??? xx

cheers

I am a qualified Paramedic with 13 years experience and I am starting with the QLD Ambulance Service in August, all going well with the visa. My advice is to train over there. Many of the skills you learn as a Para in the UK, you will not be able to use over there. The Aussie ambulance service values our way of thinking and our experience but their underpinning knowledge is far superior. If anyone needs to know anything about the QLD process, please get in touch:smile:

Guest Tanya35

Blimey, that doesn't leave much time to prepare...Do they have other start dates later in the year??? I guess I can ask that during the interview....I'm a paramedic in SE London and feels that it's time for a change!! x

Blimey, that doesn't leave much time to prepare...Do they have other start dates later in the year??? I guess I can ask that during the interview....I'm a paramedic in SE London and feels that it's time for a change!! x

Hi,

From what I've been told they run 3 UK conversion courses per year, so I guess you have 3 dates to choose from. But, you are quite right.....its pretty quick eh?!

Good luck with it all x

I don't know about WA but I applied for the job with QLD in September 2010. I flew over for interview in May 2011. Got offered the job in August 2011 and started the Vetassess and Visa process. If my visa isn't through by May/June, I can defer my start date until November. They ask that you start the job within 3 months of the visa being granted, as long as it coincides with the induction date.

Guest Para911

Mrs Brennan can I please have info on the qld process i am interviewing in march and would really appreciate any details interview ? Clinical ? Ect I am new to this forum and nervous about the process I read a lot of negative about QAS can you shed some light

Cheers

Mrs Brennan can I please have info on the qld process i am interviewing in march and would really appreciate any details interview ? Clinical ? Ect I am new to this forum and nervous about the process I read a lot of negative about QAS can you shed some light

Cheers

The interview was pretty standard. They were really friendly and made you feel at ease. I was given a question sheet and I had to write my answers to 4 questions in detail and then discuss them at interview. One of them was on Clinical Governance, another on conflict resolution, another on working with trainees and I think the other was on E&D.

The assessments were more than I expected. I had a written first. Multichoice questions sheet with about 40 questions, covering alot of cardiac rhythms, ecg interpretation, some of the nervous system- big into spinal injuries and what nervous involved may affect which parts of the body etc. Sympathetic and Parasympathetic nervous systems, functions of the vagus nerve, side effects of drugs etc.

My advice would be to go on their website, download their drug protocols, pharmacology of the drug and its effect on the body. I would only stick to the ones you use as a Para in the UK.

Study an overview of the systems. But as I said, they are pretty big on the nerves so it's handy to know. Not in great detail though. They just want to know if you had spinal compression/cord damage at L4/L5, what organs would be involved and how it would affect the patient. Also, make sure you know your ECG's.

The practical consisted of 3 scenarios. The usual MI, cardiac arrest and an opiate overdose. They will ask you what the side effects of Naloxone are. As you know, in the UK, we don't have any according to the jr Calc. But given in large doses, it causes pulmonary oedema. This is relevant in Oz as you could be with your patient for a while waiting for back up. They also like you to titrate it to response and they titrate it in 50 mcg doses. I just get it into them and stand clear for when they kick off momentarily for destroying their buzz:biglaugh:

The whole assessment day lasted 5 hours but there was 2 of us, so half that if you're on your own. They let me know after 3 days about interview. I had to wait 4 weeks for practical results. They seem to really respect the practical knowledge we have in the UK but they have excellent underpining of knowledge and swallow medical journals for a living.

They know you've come a long way for the interview so they are not there to make it impossible for you. Do your best and do, as you would do on a normal shift.

There will be negatives about every service. The only ones I've heard about QAS is that the higher ranking ICP's treat you differently, but I have 2 ex collegues working for QAS and they said they have been made to feel extremely welcome and competent.

I am going for the lifestyle. I am a workaholic in the UK. I work around 72 hours a week, every week. I am a Rapid Response Paramedic and have been for years. The job is changing for the worst and the morale is at it's lowest that I have ever seen. I am losing my rapid car with cuts and if I stayed, I may have to move to a station over 15 miles from my house. That might not seem like much but it's allot in rush hour traffic. I am losing annual leave as the working week is getting shortened. Technicians are getting demoted to Emergency Care Support workers. Their pay in protected but only for so long. Some ECSW's are losing their jobs. They have lost funding from Uni's to train more Paramedics. They may have to revert back to the IHCD module which was far better anyway. But they don't have funds for training. We are losing 15 mins off our mealbreaks. So we will have 45 mins in a 12 hour period to be taken together. The list goes on. I am jumping ship whilst things are not so bad. I have taken a 4 year career break but I hope I never want to come back.

Finally, I didn't completely love Australia. It was different and warm. But at the end of the day, it is a better place to live and I am well up for the adventure:wink:

Hope this helps!

Alison

Guest Para911

Hi Yes it helps a lot thank you so much. You have given me above and beyond and i really appreciate it I can't thank you enough I just get nervous testing so it is good to narrow it down, as we have a sea of knowledge to pull from but always refreshing with ongoing training, so is impossible to keep it all in your at once. I more than appreciate the details

cheers

Archived