St john ambulance applicants

Guest Joey0483

I see you are in Surrey. I'm in Sussex just below on the coast. Must be in the same service then!

Ah yes sounds like it then! Funny 'coz i was saying to him the things you wrote were so familiar to our reasons. I know a lot of services are similar these days but your 'description' of your service sounded very very familiar.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cider medic

Anybody else have their medical and fitness assessment recently? I'm 3 days post assessment and dont my legs know it....Had to drive nearly 4 hours just to be told the appointment had changed (WTF) After throwing my teddy well and truely out of the pram the company managed to find someone to do it..... Unfortunately he only had about 25 mins so we blasted through the whole thing in that time, (sweat? yeah just a little) At least that's another hurdle cleared - Interview - check, Psyco tests - check, Medical - check, Fitness assessment - check Video conference - ( must get my hair done :-) )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Para911

Hi I am wondering how you're doing are you in Australia yet and starting with QAS in July / August I have been on road for a month now and enjoying it all :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest peterw

hiya, just found this forum

after working for sj wa am now considering moving back to qld

reasons: (my views only)

st john in the rest of aus (except nt) is viewed as a volunteer first aid organisation ie looked down on by the other ambulance services.

with st john wa it feels like i am working for a first aid organisation trying to run an ambulance service, even their paperwork states 'first in first aid'

career advancement is greater in the other states, (but appears good in wa if you are from a southern african country!)

basic wage similar but wage does increase in other states ie as you advance to intensive care or extended care qualifications, unless you want to go and do industrial paramedic (but does appear prospects better for some to do so(see above))

perth is a long way from anywhere ie 4 to 5 day drive to get to the eastern states

perth has a higher bogan population and cub's (cashed up bogan's) do a google search for bogan, than the other states

limited opportunity to move into country positions basically majority of the country staffed by volunteers

benifits:

great weather

st john is advancing rapidly, paramedics are now on par with the other states (a few years ago basically first aiders running around intubating people),

better opportunties for children (this is aus in general though)

close to asia, generally cheaper to fly to bali than brisbane

thanks just my views,

not everything is as rosy as some make it out, maybe ask why st john wa have a large recruitment from overseas, there are not many paras moving from eastern aus to wa. but last time i looked qld was the only other state which would sponser overseas applicants

just remember there is a lot more to aus than perth, or sydney!

Peter, Where are you working and how long have you been with SJA? Where you working as a para in uk? I personally think SJA are alot more advanced than the UK, the skills we have here are far superior and as for wages its more than triples from the UK wage. For example a Advanced paramedic within the uk who has to have a masters hold the skills of a basic paramedic here. I have just completing my diploma programme, progression within my first 12 months, something your lucky to get within 5 years in the UK!! So while i agree its not all rosie i don't think its as bad as you have portrayed. I certainty am not made to feel like a first aider, i was lucky if I used a plaster for weeks on end with the crap we picked up in the uk. Yes i agree with the bogan comment, but wow have you not seen the scum in the uk recently? I think they have been on a breading programme recently! I guess you are comparing the service to eastern states, however its a different story if you compare SJA to your UK services. Which is generally where people on this forum are coming from, sorry is I'm mistaken though!

I love the job out here, I have had more 'real' jobs since i have worked here than i ever did in the UK! I think its a bad thing i worked in to UK, i seemed to have lost the enthusiasm to early!

• 1 month later...
Guest Brit para

Hello all,

I have just joined this thread and have enjoyed catching up on all the previous posts. I'm also on another forum about SJAA where there is also lots of good info. I applied in march this year and have progressed thru the application process, I have my VC in a few weeks eek!! Like hertz, I'm not in a position to move to Oz this year, however I think there are conversion courses planned for Feb 2013, which will give me plenty of time to hammer the overtime! If anyone has any tips/advice on VC it will b greatly received!! Have been trying to swat up on their website, but can't seem to find much on their current issues. I remember talking a lot about ways of achieving the 8min response when interviewed by current employer, as we all know too well, it's all that seems to matter these days in the UK!!

look forward to chatting with you all soon!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rachelborn

Hi, This is my first time using this forum and I am really hoping that someone can help me out. I applied for St.John Ambulance in Perth and the application process is going really well and I just have the final conference call tomorrow. Does anyone know what sort of questions are asked? I believe they are HR questions, but just want to be prepared.

Can anyone help please?????

Guest cider medic

Hi, This is my first time using this forum and I am really hoping that someone can help me out. I applied for St.John Ambulance in Perth and the application process is going really well and I just have the final conference call tomorrow. Does anyone know what sort of questions are asked? I believe they are HR questions, but just want to be prepared.Can anyone help please?????
Hi Rachel, had mine a few days ago, some very obvious questions such as "Give an example of when you have had to stick to strict protocols and any problems this caused you" or "Tell me how you cope with stress from work and what sort of things you do to deal with it" to others a little more obscure, for example "Can you tell me your life goals and your work goals" or "Can you give an example of a situation where a patient or relative has been either physically or verbally aggressive and how you deal with this".Both the interviewers are very friendly and if you get stuck on a particular question will try to point you in the right direction, so don't worry. Also worth having a few questions to fire back at them, seems a shame to waste the opportunity.Good luck with it all, i'm sure you'll be fine.

• 2 months later...
Guest pauljones181

Hi everyone I have only just registered on here and i am looking for some answers and some advice. I have applied to St john ambulance in the uk for a emergency transport attendant. I have have been invited to attend a phsycometric assessment next week. can anyone tell my what sort of test will i be facing, questions etc. Any help and advice will be a big help.

paul

Guest Brit para

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for you. The posts on here relate to St. John Ambulance Western Australia which is the only ambulance provider in WA, (like our NHS ambulance services). St. John in the UK are separate from the main NHS ambulance providers and rely mainly on volunteer first aiders, and in some areas do provide support to the NHS ambulance services. I hope this makes sense, good luck with your assessments next week. My psychometric testing in the past for paramedic employment has involved pretty straight forward personality questions, the only advice I have here is to be totally truthfull as the questions are reworded throughout and it's easy to catch yourself out if your trying to blag the test; also there are no 'right' and 'wrong' answers. An example would be, I enjoy being the life and sole of a party? I prefer a quite night in over going out with friends? I like meeting new people? I avoid conflict? A few questions all kind of getting at the same point, easy to trip yourself up if your trying to pick answers you think they want to hear.

The other part of psychometric tests are aptitude questions which look at your literacy, numeracy, verbal reasoning etc. There are plenty of these types of questions on line to help you practice! Hope this helps, best of luck!

Hi everyone I have only just registered on here and i am looking for some answers and some advice. I have applied to St john ambulance in the uk for a emergency transport attendant. I have have been invited to attend a phsycometric assessment next week. can anyone tell my what sort of test will i be facing, questions etc. Any help and advice will be a big help.

paul

Archived