St john ambulance applicants

Guest Joey0483

Guest Joey0483

Hi !

Just wondered if anyone else here had applied to St John Ambulance ?

I am a paramedic based near London and applied originally last September - I heard nothing (technical hitch with application) and then re-applied last month.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on time scales, etc!

Thanks JO x

Also - an enquiry with regards to employee nomination scheme - if i am sponsored by SJA for work will my husband have the right to work in WA also? i am so confused with regards to visas, can someone help? :chatterbox:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi !

Just wondered if anyone else here had applied to St John Ambulance ?

I am a paramedic based near London and applied originally last September - I heard nothing (technical hitch with application) and then re-applied last month.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on time scales, etc!

Thanks JO x

Also - an enquiry with regards to employee nomination scheme - if i am sponsored by SJA for work will my husband have the right to work in WA also? i am so confused with regards to visas, can someone help? :chatterbox:

Hi if you get the job and obtain a Perm Res Visa then your hubby will be entitled to work in WA also, he will get perm res along with your family.

Hope this helps.

Guest para1447

Hi Joey

I applied for St John Ambulance in March. The closing date was March 20th, it was then extended to March 25th and then to April 28th. I found out last week (May 30th) that I had been selected for interview which is on June 15th.

I am currently based in New Zealand working for St John here but was with North West Ambulance in Liverpool for 10 years prior to that. I applied for a job at WA in October 2008, had an interview via phone in December 2008 with the plan to be shipped over in April 2009. However, we went with New Zealand initially.

We, as a family, are British citizens with New Zealand Residency but I know that last time WA Ambulance were going to sponsor the family visa which meant my husband could work in Australia, my son could be schooled there for free instead as an international student. I'm not sure what they are going to do this time as we'll be moving from NZ not the UK.

What was the closing date for the application you submitted? They can take up to two months to let you know if you've been successful. I kept ringing and emailing them, however, it's slightly easier from this side of the globe as the time difference is only 4 hours. However, next night shift you're on, ring them and ask. You'll probably get the same "The applications are still being processed" answer, but at least it shows you're still interested.

UK paras are well sought after and they will want you, it just takes a while for them to sort everything out. Who knows, you may be on the same conversion course as me in November!!

Guest Joey0483

Thanks for that, hopefully i will hear soon.

THe application was received on May 9th but with a closing date of June 30th, although they seem to kee just extending the closing date so not sure if that makes much difference. Good luck for your telephone interview on 15th June and keep us posted!!

xx

Guest para1447

Hi

I had a really good interview today with SJA in WA. It lasted about an hour, I was asked standard HR questions, why Perth? Have you applied to any other state Ambulance Services? How would you cope in certain situations eg Paediatric cardiac arrest, troublesome patient or family member, working for 12 hours with someone you dislike etc? I was then quizzed on my clinical knowledge given about 8 hyperthetical scenarios about patient management. They were a doddle, nothing a UK paramedic couldn't answer. They do 3 weeks in training school and then 8 weeks on road assessment, the conversion courses are running in August and November this year and then probably February next year. Good luck with your application, I know it's frustrating as they keep extending the closing date, it was moved three times for me, initially March 20th, then 25th and finally April 28th. Then a 5 week wait before I heard anything after that.

However, it's moving well now and hopefully should be there by November.

Let me know how it goes for you, I'd love to know how you get on.

Angela

Guest Joey0483
Hi

I had a really good interview today with SJA in WA. It lasted about an hour, I was asked standard HR questions, why Perth? Have you applied to any other state Ambulance Services? How would you cope in certain situations eg Paediatric cardiac arrest, troublesome patient or family member, working for 12 hours with someone you dislike etc? I was then quizzed on my clinical knowledge given about 8 hyperthetical scenarios about patient management. They were a doddle, nothing a UK paramedic couldn't answer. They do 3 weeks in training school and then 8 weeks on road assessment, the conversion courses are running in August and November this year and then probably February next year. Good luck with your application, I know it's frustrating as they keep extending the closing date, it was moved three times for me, initially March 20th, then 25th and finally April 28th. Then a 5 week wait before I heard anything after that.

However, it's moving well now and hopefully should be there by November.

Let me know how it goes for you, I'd love to know how you get on.

Angela

:biggrin: Hi Angela

Sounds great, you must be so relieved it is all over! Whats the next stage - an offer via email i gues? DId they give you an idea of time scale and where was your interview held?

Really helpful to let us know the kinds of questions etc they ask. I only work one day a week at the moment as the children are so young, so it will be a shock to the system to have to work full time again!

Have you started making an other plans or are you waiting for a job offer?

Send me a private message if you fancy a proper chat

Jo xx

I'm glad someone's posted a thread like this one, I live in the UK and qualify as a Paramedic next year, hoping to start the ball rolling soon after to move to Perth NOR.

Good luck to everyone, I do hear that STJ HR dept is notoriously slow......I met with them on my hols out there last year and was warned about that!!

Guest para1447

I'd check 1st, Melissa. If I remember correctly on the Qualified Paramedic recruitment, WA are looking for paras who have had over a year's experience in the qualified role, not as a student. If you look on the website and click on "Qualified Paramedics" it covers it all for you. Good luck with completing your course.:smile:

Ah thank you, I did see that on there, but the degree I'm doing is in house, so i've been working as a Techie for 3 years and in the last year I'm practising Paramedic skills, so hopefully they will take that into account......sooooo desperate to get over there!!

:twitcy:

X

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya,

I have also applied to SJ as an ambulance officer, I am a tech in the north west. I applied the middle of April and didn't hear anything, I emailed HR who said the date had been extended to the 30th June.

I am also in contact with an old work colleague who is now over in Perth working for SJ and has been for the last 4 years, she's said the same as the majority of people on here, that it just takes time. They did take nearly 2 weeks to email me back! So I plan on calling them directly so they know i'm still interested!

Hope this helps!

Guest para1447

Hi Skipper16, Where abouts in the North West are you? I used to work for NWAS. I have just received my psychometric test via email which I shall complete on Monday afternoon when the house is quiet when everyone is out at work/nursery etc.

It takes forever, they're not the most speedy and they're not the most communicative either, however, the process gets completed at their speed. Ringing them directly is always a good option. Let me know how you get on.

Guest para1447

I was in Crosby, Merseyside. Left in 2009. I applied in March, closing date moved twice, final one was April 29th. Heard nothing for about a month and then got an email on May 30th saying I needed to contact them a good time for a telephone interview. That was on June 15th, they then checked my references, asked for passport visa, driving clearance and police clearance birth certificate etc, sent it all to the recruiters who have now forwarded on a psychometric test for me to complete. That needs to be done by Thursday 21st July. Once that is done it's time for face to face second interview and physical test. Physical test can be assessed here. It's not a speedy process, hoping to get there for November, you'll probably make the February intake.

I hope so! My circumstances have changed and I will be moving out to Perth mid October, I no longer need a Visa with SJ as I have a 457 with my partner, so just hoping it works out! Will be good to know I have fellow 'scousers' out there! I will call them this week to explain my circumstances and cross my fingers! let me know how you get on with the phychometic test :biggrin: good luck!

Guest dannywh

Hi, Ive applied to and haven't been contacted yet. What i can gather on the nominated sponsored visa your wife/husband and children all go on it and they are eligible to work aswell ( not the kids though!!)

Guest dannywh

Hi skipper16, im also in Manchester based at Urmston and have applied to Perth. Where abouts in Manchester are you and whats your name??

Guest para1447

Hi Skipper16

Psychometric test was easy, it was 200 questions about your views on life and such. Questions like "I am short tempered", True of False. It was done in about 25 minutes. Now waiting for them to get back in touch with me for second interview time and date and completing reference checks.

The visa 457 covers adults to work and children to be schooled without having to pay international fees.

Guest para1447

Salary is $70 000 Australian Dollars for an Intermediate Para, $80 000 for an Intensive Care Para. I've not applied and they are only recruiting for Mackay and Townsville which are small towns way up north. Your partner may have trouble finding a job there. Did consider it but Perth Metro is better for my partner to get employment too. I have a friend who works in the far north of Queensland, she loves it, spends her days off in the sea and her son landed in Heaven the day he arrived.

Guest dannywh

Thanks for the info. Website says their vacancies change all the time so i'm gonna apply to queensland aswell. They also seem to offer good benefits like perth and repay your relocation costs upto $5000. thanks for the info and good luck with your application

Hi skipper16, im also in Manchester based at Urmston and have applied to Perth. Where abouts in Manchester are you and whats your name??

I am based in Bury, so no doubt our paths have crossed. I was on PTS in Sale and Urmston! Can i send you a private message on here? or is it all just public content?

When did your application close? Have you heard anything yet? Where and when are you hoping to move?

Hi Skipper16

Psychometric test was easy, it was 200 questions about your views on life and such. Questions like "I am short tempered", True of False. It was done in about 25 minutes. Now waiting for them to get back in touch with me for second interview time and date and completing reference checks.

The visa 457 covers adults to work and children to be schooled without having to pay international fees.

Sounds alot easier than the psychometric test i did to get into NWAS! I just hope i hear something soon. My partner is on a 457 so im all sorted too :biggrin: which makes everything so much easier and hopefully would speed up the process if i was to be successful.

Guest dannywh

Hi. The app closed end of june heard nowt yet though. Ill go as soon as but think realistically would be 12-18 months. Ive put my preferances on the form as mandurah, busselton, bunbury eyc. Looks luvly. Im also gonna apply for queensland

Guest para1447

I applied in March, had interview in June, just had psychometric test, waiting for 2nd interview. It seems to take about 6-8 months from start to finish. It's an endurance test as well as everything else. Visa can take 6-8 weeks to process once job offer comes through.

Archived