Decision made, such relief!

kaztin

I posted here in Oct 2010, confused as to whether to return to UK. Quick recap, me & hubby been here 5 yes, no kids, 3 dogs, good jobs, nice home and lifestyle and have citizenship. But so miss our families and friends and after much soul searching we have decided to begin planning our return. It has v little to do with Australia itself as it's a lovely place and has been v kind to us. But for us, as the years tick by, it's just not worth the isolation from everything we hold dear in England. I want to spend time with my Mum(88yrs old), and our treasured friends. For us the feelings have crept up over time but now we can't shake the feelings of just wanting to return. Slightly awkward situation fo us, hubby in army - stuck till Oct 2013! We may be able to negotiate Jan 2013, and I guess in the scheme of things it's ok to have this time to plan our return and continue to see as much of Aus as we can (already travelled every state except WA!) so I feel so relieved, cried a lot, feel so much more content and I don't think I realized how stressed I was! I'm going on hols 3 June to visit my family & friends in UK ( booked long before this decision) so I can bring our good news home! Anyone in the same dilemma as ours ( and there seem to be many) making the decision is the hardest step. I have found this forum generally v supportive and no doubt over the next 2 years will be asking your valuable advice. At this point I just wanted to share our news

:biggrin:

Cheers, Karen......very happy indeed!

Guest siamsusie

Hi Karen,

I wish you a very happy home coming. Yes there are enough members here, moving back or in the thinking process to exchange ideas with.

Enjoy your hols!

Susie x

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

Congratulations on coming to a decision, that must be the hardest part. Now you can start your planning and hopefully enjoy your last couple of years in Australia and look forward to the next phase of your life's adventure. Good luck with everything...

Good luck with your move. Is there a possibility of a lateral transfer back again? I know people transfer over to the Aus army, so, who knows, maybe the reverse is also possible.

I hope it all works out brilliantly for you!

Hi Quoll, before we came to Aus hubby wasn't in British army but he joined Oz army at grand age of 41 to get some good qualifications and experience. But he is looking forward to getting out back into logistics again. I think he's found it hard at his age, but I'm v proud of what he's achieved. It's not the life for him long term. I also think we emigrated a bit late in life, I was 43, he was 37 and mayv

Be we should have come here in our 20's. Much as we've enjoyed the experience, perhaps we are just too long in the tooth! Not that I'm an old fart or anything :) so we will enjoy our next 2 yes then homeward bound for us and our pooches.

Hi Quoll, before we came to Aus hubby wasn't in British army but he joined Oz army at grand age of 41 to get some good qualifications and experience. But he is looking forward to getting out back into logistics again. I think he's found it hard at his age, but I'm v proud of what he's achieved. It's not the life for him long term. I also think we emigrated a bit late in life, I was 43, he was 37 and mayv

Be we should have come here in our 20's. Much as we've enjoyed the experience, perhaps we are just too long in the tooth! Not that I'm an old fart or anything :) so we will enjoy our next 2 yes then homeward bound for us and our pooches.

Good on him, that's a fabulous achievement to join up at that age! He's an inspiration for younger folk - still might be worth checking out reverse laterals though, there must be some sort of transfer process then he would be assured of a job when he gets back!

Guest RunnerBean

Hey,

Completely off topic, but how have you both found life in the Aus Army? We're moving over so that I can join up as there's a lack of opportunities for my cap badge in the British Army these days. Feel free to PM me, but any advice/insight at all would be greatly appreciated!

Jess

Good luck Karen. Seems like such a huge decision but it's mostly fear of the unknown that seems to make it bigger than it is, not whether it's right or wrong. we found ourselves 2nd guessing ourself all the way.... (tho' Pip has been great for us, such great advice & people sharing experiences) We made the decision last Christmas & put the house on the market a couple of weeks ago, such a relief. Been away 5 yrs. Sometimes you just got to trust your gut feeling.... They say you regret the things you don't do, more than the things you do. I definately don't regret coming to Australia but feel we will have regrets if we don't go back, we miss family & friends & those relationships you just can't replace. Also looking forward to going back to Uk looking at it through different eyes. Go for it. Trust your gut.

Archived