Is it just me?

gaz n family

Guest siamsusie
Sorry, dont get me wrong, we are still going. I just keep getting prangs of OH NO, WHAT ARE WE DOING??? The majority of the time i cannot wait TBH, but its always at night or in bed i keep getting these feelings. I guess its normal, but its easy when its just you, this effects all of us, i would hate it all to go wrong and my kids throw it back in my face, especially my eldest, i am sure he hates us already for taking him away from his mates. Mind you, i am sure our eldest did model himself on Harry Enfield's Character, the teenager.

I guess if i had a job it wouldnt be so bad, but i keep trying without much luck at the moment. I am willing to sweep the streets is nessacary to get that income.

:hug: she'll be right mate:wubclub:

If you didnt have these feelings you would be abnormal Gaz, I have every confidence you guys will make it work for you all.

love Susie xx

TBH Paul, that's hardly a normal reaction.....

Brought up in the era where you just got on with things. No internet, computers, forums to go to and analyse everything till you were more confused and worried.

Give it a go and see what happens. Got through most of my life this way TBH.

Guest dazzandkim

It is so good to come on here and see and feel that other people are all going through the same thing, i am currently sitting here waiting for my mum to return from a 3 week holiday and in which time we got our visa and put house on market, i am so happy for the our new adventures but feel so guilty am i doing the right thing.. I know i am but it so hard as you can't tell anyone, not work etc only close friends and family know our plans. I also have a 14 yr daughter who is making it hard too, she is not happy to go, try to explain the benefits but they don't understand and you are constantly saying to yourselves this is a good move, we will all settle but the ups and downs of the journey are very hard.

I am dreading seeing my mum and feel sick!!!

Good to talk on here my husband jokes have i had my daily fix of poms in oz!!!:confused::yes:

hey Gaz, reality has hit me a little too, our house has just been put on the market and everything seems so much more real now. I too lay at in bed at night a little restless worrying if what we are doing is right for us. I think more than anything though it is the guilt of leaving everyone behind that worries me the most, my little ones are so close their aunties uncles cousins grandparents and vice versa, I think when we do leave it will be a massive blow to all concerned. But I really do believe and have to believe that what we are doing is best for our children and giving them the best opportunity for a wonderful life from childhood into adulthood. Like you we are definitely going, even though there are these underlying worrysome feelings but as everyone else as said, we are human, it's natural to feel all these emotions, after all what we are doing will be the biggest thing we ever do in our lives.

Good luck with it all, Sarah

We have our visa, my family are moving with me, flights are booked, i dont talk with most of my family, except my dad who says we are lucky and should go for it. It has been my dream to leave the UK for years now. So why do i sit at night, or lie in bed, rolling around,worrying, are we doing the right thing? Does anyone else get these feelings a couple of months away from the big move? I keep feeling guilty about not telling my work mates, being a consultant my position can be cut with 10 days notic, but i need the next two months salary so dare not say anything. I worry my wife will never forgive me for taking her away from her mum.......aarrgghhh i hate these feelings of doubt.

Hi Gaz,

We had our visa granted on April 20th, so a particularly large Easter is now just a distant memory!

Totally understand your fellings, we're having the same, BUT.

Ask yourself this, "how many bites do you get at the cherry of life, and living it?"

Yes, that's right, just the one.

Also, ask yourself this. "Is there any greater fear than the fear of regret"

You're not alone with all the emotions, thoughts nd fears but your also not the first to do it, and the opportunities are there for the taking. Unlike here where you have to fight all the time to get anything to change and also have pay through the nose for it.

Finally,my favourite acronim J.F.D.I. ! (Just F****** Do It !) what's the worst that can happen? :hug:

"Is there any greater fear than the fear of regret"

:

Absolutely love this! Sums up the way myself and my OH feel perfectly. We never want to regret something we "didn't do" for the fear of not knowing what could have been. I would be much happier living life regretting something we "had" done which did not work out.

Cheers

Absolutely love this! Sums up the way myself and my OH feel perfectly. We never want to regret something we "didn't do" for the fear of not knowing what could have been. I would be much happier living life regretting something we "had" done which did not work out.

Cheers

I totally feel the same :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didn't really have any doubts as we weren't leaving family in the Uk and were going to family in Oz. My husband is Australian and we had visited many times. We knew virtually straight away that we had made a mistake and only lasted 8 months. We turned around and came back, with all our furniture and cars and 3 young children. Do we regret trying it....not at all. Worries and anxieties are perfectly normal and although it is a huge move it is still possible to come home. We have spent an absolute fortune but we have had a life changing experience and an amazing appreciation for what we have in the UK (even without our fantastic family in Australia who we still miss).

Guest Burchos
Hi Gaz,

We had our visa granted on April 20th, so a particularly large Easter is now just a distant memory!

Totally understand your fellings, we're having the same, BUT.

Ask yourself this, "how many bites do you get at the cherry of life, and living it?"

Yes, that's right, just the one.

Also, ask yourself this. "Is there any greater fear than the fear of regret"

You're not alone with all the emotions, thoughts nd fears but your also not the first to do it, and the opportunities are there for the taking. Unlike here where you have to fight all the time to get anything to change and also have pay through the nose for it.

Finally,my favourite acronim J.F.D.I. ! (Just F****** Do It !) what's the worst that can happen? :hug:

Brilliant - so true.

I will look at this post next time I have any wobbles.

Thanks

Thanks all for your posts, dont get me wrong, i am not mooping about here at home or work, i know that having that visa in our hand is something of a treat that not everyone can either get or wants to get. Nor are we going to waste it...............

If only someone will give me a job earning $150,000 and working from home 3 days a week then i guess I will be happy ;-)

OMG! What a fantastic post! I am so pleased that I am not the only one feeling like this! :biggrin: I keep waking at three and four in the morning creating all sorts of problems in my head that really don't exist and another million "what ifs" It's just driving me insane! :mad: One minute I am checking to see if we are getting a case officer and getting excited for those that have and the next minute I am feeling really anxious about whether or not we are doing the right thing. One minute the family are irritatating me so badly that I feel so glad we are going, the next minute they do something nice and I am thinking oh no what are we doing!???! :arghh:

Then.......we had the house valued yesterday and the estate agent was so enthralled with our house and was saying how unusual it was and how amazing the garden was that I was set off again down the road of "are we doing the right thing leaving all this behind?" Then another time I will look at all the beautiful properties on real eastate website and can't wait to get there! My goodness what a rollercoaster of emotions! I hope to god it's worth it all:biggrin: Good luck to all of you that are experiencing the same emotions - it's good to share :cute:

Carla x

I don't think my wife and I have had a good night sleep since I got my job offer 3 weeks ago!! Desperately want to shout to all my work mates "I'm off to Oz!!" but cannot until the visa comes through! Also I just find myself daydreaming about it!

Hiya Gaz,

My wife has had just about every doubt possible and god knows how many breakdowns its rediciulous!!! But after many conversations and tissues she has stopped stressing!! We have come to the conclusion if everything fails its back to the UK a few grand shorter. Could be worse I have lost more on previous cars!! If we dont try it we will never know and better off to try and failing to never have tried before. Or something along those lines.

As for your work at least your work dont know!! I had to get a referance from work at the beginning so they have known for nearly 3 years and my god they treat me like crap! No training, bottom of the pecking order, being stared at when redundancies mentioned and I hadn't even got my visa at that point.

Everyone loves their family! My dad says we have to go for it and as sad as he will be he thinks I would be daft to throw away such a great chance in life. My mother on the other had... Thinks im selfish and a bad son. Taking my kids away from her and what will she do about presents at xmas and birthdays.... then on the other hand she never makes an effort and we see each other probably once a month maybe!! Yet I still hear people whispering behind my back 'arent they mean taking such lovely kids away' coming from a relative on first time meeting of my kids!!!! eldest being 5! Oh well theres always Skype!!

Anyway rant over! Best sort out my short term rental, shipping, money transfers, putting my house up for rent, sell cars......oh and a big p**s up for when we leave!!!

Hiya Gaz,

My wife has had just about every doubt possible and god knows how many breakdowns its rediciulous!!! But after many conversations and tissues she has stopped stressing!! We have come to the conclusion if everything fails its back to the UK a few grand shorter. Could be worse I have lost more on previous cars!! If we dont try it we will never know and better off to try and failing to never have tried before. Or something along those lines.

As for your work at least your work dont know!! I had to get a referance from work at the beginning so they have known for nearly 3 years and my god they treat me like crap! No training, bottom of the pecking order, being stared at when redundancies mentioned and I hadn't even got my visa at that point.

Everyone loves their family! My dad says we have to go for it and as sad as he will be he thinks I would be daft to throw away such a great chance in life. My mother on the other had... Thinks im selfish and a bad son. Taking my kids away from her and what will she do about presents at xmas and birthdays.... then on the other hand she never makes an effort and we see each other probably once a month maybe!! Yet I still hear people whispering behind my back 'arent they mean taking such lovely kids away' coming from a relative on first time meeting of my kids!!!! eldest being 5! Oh well theres always Skype!!

Anyway rant over! Best sort out my short term rental, shipping, money transfers, putting my house up for rent, sell cars......oh and a big p**s up for when we leave!!!

My mother and only sibling (sister who has no children) stopped speaking to us when we moved to Australia, which is crackers because we were never close anyway-they just stopped all contact and when I asked why they have told me they never want to see me again!

We have returned to the UK (because didn't like Oz) and they are still refusing to see us or our 3 very young children despite me asking and asking (been nearly 18 months since we saw them) The family we left behind in Oz are wonderful and supportive and they appreciate that we prefer the UK. It's such a shame but some people just can't be happy for anyone and their reluctance to confront things just shows they know they are wrong.

Live your life for you-whatever you decide.

My mother and only sibling (sister who has no children) stopped speaking to us when we moved to Australia, which is crackers because we were never close anyway-they just stopped all contact and when I asked why they have told me they never want to see me again!

We have returned to the UK (because didn't like Oz) and they are still refusing to see us or our 3 very young children despite me asking and asking (been nearly 18 months since we saw them) The family we left behind in Oz are wonderful and supportive and they appreciate that we prefer the UK. It's such a shame but some people just can't be happy for anyone and their reluctance to confront things just shows they know they are wrong.

Live your life for you-whatever you decide.

Their loss. How narrow minded is that?

It certainly is just not you! We're waiting on police checks and meds next week but already the worries have set in bad. However one thing that turns everything back round is the thought would we regret it later in life if we didn't go for it...and the answer is a resounding yes. Old cliches click in such as you only live once but it's true. Live an exciting life, do something remarkable. If it doesn't work out whats the worst thing that could happen....you come back to blighty with a wounded pocket! I have about 6 sets of family and friends who have migrated and none of them have come back or would come back so that bodes well.

My main worry is that I really love the UK. Of all the places I'd want my children to live it would be the UK or Oz. So we want to give them the opportunity to be able to live and enjoy either country when they grow up. I hope and I'm sure all will go well for you and your family.

Good luck!

Al and fam.

We are feeling like it to! Keep thinking are we doing the right thing especially as we have 2 boys nearly 11 and 13! Worried incase we dont like it and come back in a year or so what happens then to my oldest will he be able to slot in and do his exams etc etc We have sold house and probably move out end of month and I'm really worried! I love my house to bits but we need the money from our house sale to be able to move and to have a few months rent in the bank! I couldnt wait to get our visa but now its almost here i'm kind of panicking!!

Archived