Is everyone still up for going with bad exchange rate

hogan

Hi, we have our visa but having trouble selling our house, but my question is is are you all still going ahead with the move with such a poor exchange rate, we seem set to lose thousands then when we origanly decided to go, like many others out there.

Guest NeilEB

My personal view, is if you can afford the move, then the exchange rate wont matter when you are out there.

Only you can decide if your new 'pot' is enough for you.

Guest NeilEB
but the money we were taking over wont be going as far as what it would of.

Which is why I said, only you can decide if the new 'pot' is enough for you.

Guest Burchos
but the money we were taking over wont be going as far as what it would of.

I know how you feel. We haven't quite got our visas yet, but the poor exchange rate is not going to be good for us and the lifestyle we wanted to set ourselves up with when we initially move. Like you say when you first planned the move the rate was great, now it will be wiping thousands from your pot.

It's a worry!

Good luck.

Forget about old exchange rates, the rate it is now will likely be similar for a long time yet. If you can afford to go, go, if you cannot, dont. simples!

Guest jojaks

I have been reading quite a lot of long term forcasts for the old exchange rate and it aint good news , falling stedily for the forseable and no real rises predicted till at least next year

what we need is the Bank of England Base rate to rise , !! ..................... oh my god did i just ask for a tax rise !!:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Hiya,

We are in the process of gaining our visa, but only began this year. We had not looked at houses and moving with the exchange rate any better.

I think the best way to view things, is that it is what it is. We can't roll back time, or change things in the past, so best just to move forward with the future.

My husband am I keep saying that we are heading to Australia to work, so an income will be there very shortly after the move, so its not like the money we bring is to keep us for the rest of your lives.

I guess everyone has family, or knows someone who emigrated in the past, and bought massive houses outright with money left over. That was something that used to happen, but we are just going with the thought that we will probably take a few steps back before we can move forward in Australia.

Donna

Its hard to do, but you can't (imho) look at the exchange rate from when it was really good and say 'poo, we are loosing loads now, we could have exchanged for so much more back then' in the same way you don't go 'poo, we could have emigrated for £10 back in the 1960s' - it is what it is now, you can only go on that, much in the same way I long for the day when Snickers was the proper name of Marathon and you could get change from a £10 filling up the car with petrol.....such is life.

Be happy you have a) the opportunity to emigrate b) any money to go over with and c) the excitement of everything being shiny and new, look forward, not back!

Guest MaybeOz

When we first looked into emigrating, about 6 years ago, it would have been a 'perfect' time - house prices here in UK high, Aus property relatively low and exchange rate very good .... now .... all change :embarrassed:

IF we make the move we will be renting out our house here in the UK as its our 'pension fund' and look to sell it when all parameters are more favourable.

All the best.

Kari :wubclub:

Guest AnneLee
Hi, we have our visa but having trouble selling our house, but my question is is are you all still going ahead with the move with such a poor exchange rate, we seem set to lose thousands then when we origanly decided to go, like many others out there.

Hi, I know what you are feeling when we started the process the rate was 2.39 and we are also going to lose thousands when we actually move over this year, but I really thought about what we were going to do and realised that long term we will have a better way of life, ok less money but the better environment is worth taking the risk, plus over time hopefully we will make the money up again just have to tighten our belts for a good few years.:biggrin:

Guest AnneLee

I love your point of view on this, it's totally cheered me up because whilst it hasn't put me off emigrating it was nagging on my mind, I'll take your advice with such a great attitude, thanks

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We are down nearly $250,000 and it IS stopping us from going presently.............. if you want to go and you don't care about how much money is involved, good luck to yer, but............ we have worked for 30 years to get the money we have and just because the uk is struggling financially and Australia is doing great, doesn't mean we should lose crazy amounts of money.............. each to their own, $250,000 matters to us.

Guest Burchos
We are down nearly $250,000 and it IS stopping us from going presently.............. if you want to go and you don't care about how much money is involved, good luck to yer, but............ we have worked for 30 years to get the money we have and just because the uk is struggling financially and Australia is doing great, doesn't mean we should lose crazy amounts of money.............. each to their own, $250,000 matters to us.

We too are in your boat. We have worked long and hard and are not prepared to loose so much exchanging our money at the current rate. If it were a matter of a few grand then yes we could work hard and make that up. If the exchange rate crept up to $1.8 to the £1 that would be worth considering.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
How have you lost it exactly?

When we put in for our visa we like most everyone did our figures and we had roughly X amount of money to go with and partly on that basis we put in for the visa, but................. 18 months later the dollar had crashed, you could say we never had that money, but................. its what we worked with and we won't get another $200,000 plus mortgage when we have just finished paying for one after nearly 30 years of doing so, we are all different............ how much do you have? Those who are young and have little money to take, are not effected like us.

I was just interested to know how you think you have lost, and from what you've said you have indeed lost out :)

In 05 when I went the first time, I had sold my property at a profit but decided not to stay at the time, so didnt convert my money, when it was at it's peak 2.6 odd percent! Obviously now the rate is much much lower.

I'd obviously be happier if it was still 2.4 ish like when we started all this,but its gone,never to come back i doubt,altho im no financial expert!

But were going anyway,no use us whingeing about it,it is what it is,we have no kids to worry about leaving £ to so maybe its easier for us,but tbh im not that materialistic anyway,if ive had it ive spent it,lifes for living,not sitting in the uk waiting for the exchange rate hike that probs wont come anyway.

Do i want to stay here and peg out in 10/15 yrs time thinking "yeah great ive got no mortgage to pay",but never went to oz? nah no chance,i could be dead in a few yrs time who knows?do i want to be the richest bricky in the bone orchard having lived out me life in the uk when all that time ive wanted to try living in oz?no to that as well,theres more to life than money,i know it helps btw!but theres no pockets in a shroud,yer cant take it with yer,and i want to try oz so i will,IF anyone ever buys our house!

We thought we were going to be sitting pretty a few years ago ,navy pension, apayout and our house money :laugh:

well we could sit here and wait for a miracle or we could just Go and start living f0r now .... not what could have been or might be

we were lucky our friend is buying our house ... we even got one of those companies in who buy the house for cash with quite a drop on the asking price and i think we would of sold it to them if our friend wasn't buying it ..... pay our loans off, and CC we have enough for 3 years renting and living .

:wubclub: as pabs says you only live once :arghh:pabs hury up and get rid of that house lol

When we put in for our visa we like most everyone did our figures and we had roughly X amount of money to go with and partly on that basis we put in for the visa, but................. 18 months later the dollar had crashed, you could say we never had that money, but................. its what we worked with and we won't get another $200,000 plus mortgage when we have just finished paying for one after nearly 30 years of doing so, we are all different............ how much do you have? Those who are young and have little money to take, are not effected like us.

I can totally see what you are saying here. My husband and I are in our early thirty's, and have not got a large amount of savings to bring to Austalia. We have also got alot of working years left in us, so the poor exchange rate would not influence us to stay put in the U.K. Our jobs in Australia command a higher salary, so everything will be relative I'm hoping.

However if we were sitting mortgage free, with a large amount of savings and slighly older- no offence, I can see how I may think differently,

Donna :smile:

Archived