457 Visa - is temporary Health Ins needed?

Hi Guys could anyone help us?

We seem to be getting confusing info on whether we need to arrange temporary medical insurance for our Visa application.

We are UK citizens so there is a reciprocal health arrangement between australia and UK that we can apply for when we get there. In addition, once my husband starts work on 4th July ( subject to visa!) then his firm has family health care arrangments we can buy into.:mask:

Hubby's Visa agent is suggesting we still need to arrange temporary health insurance now in order to get through the visa process to cover us until our medicare cards come through.

Is this true, anyone have the same experience. Indeed, if it is true does anyone know of any cheap cover that is 457 compliant?

Thanks all!

Hi guys,

Yes you do need private health insurance whilst you are applying for your visa,as you cannot apply for Medicare until you are actually in Australia. It's a bit of stupidity on immigrations part. We applied for our 457 back in November 2010 and went with IMAN (their cheapest basic plan which was 132 dollars per month for us as a couple) who provided us with a letter which meets the visa requirements. We forwarded this onto DIAC who then granted the visa. Once we arrived in oz, we enrolled with medicare (2 weeks ago. And after being in oz for just 2 days)and I emailed IMAN to cancel the plan. No problems and was refunded the 132 dollars we paid when we applied for the visa in November. We still had to pay another months worth on our arrival into oz which we didn't get back but what can you do?....

Good luck

Thank you Wonderingaloud that was a really helpful ( and quick!) reply. We will look into IMAN. We may unfortunately have to pay for longer as we are planning to go out separately. My husband first and then myself and daughter during the holidays. I'm hoping this won't be a problem!

I would double check about cancelling. You used to be able to do that but since last year a 457 requires ongoing private health cover to be in place.

If I'm wrong I apologise and will be cancelling mine too, but I'm pretty sure you have to have it as a stipulation of the visa.

I would double check about cancelling. You used to be able to do that but since last year a 457 requires ongoing private health cover to be in place.

If I'm wrong I apologise and will be cancelling mine too, but I'm pretty sure you have to have it as a stipulation of the visa.

I think you're right. But I think I'm right in saying that most Brits on a 457 cancel it as soon as in Oz cos it's a waste of money. How would immi find out? I think it's a technicality and as you're covered once on medicare most people cancel (again just from my experience).

Guest jonnylane

I don't think that's quite true, according to http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

I am from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. Do I also need insurance?

If you are from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, you may be eligible to access Medicare. For further information you should refer to the Medicare Australia website.

See: Medicare Australia – Visitors to Australia

Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501.

Jonny

Archived