Secret Harbour; Warnbro; Port Kennedy and surrounding areas absolute truth!!!

lismith25

HI guys, just looking for some absolute honesty please. We have been living in Qld for 6 years and have been toying with the idea of moviing to WA. We were in Airlie Beach for 6 years, wonderful little town, but not too child friendly and we are now in a mining town 4 hours inland. :shocked:

My hubby has recently applied for a Fly in/out job so we are looking at place SOR. We have been out of city life for a while now but an hour on the train for us is perfect and a lot of you have sold the Warnbro/Secret Harbour/Port Kennedy area too us on here. But we will not be able to visit before hand, so I am relying on you guys to guide us.

So bearing in mind we live 1.5hours to the nearest Wooloworths/ Coles and 3hours to a decent shopping centre at Rockahmpton. I need hard facts about these areas.

What shops are local ie. IGA, Woolworths?

Where can I do big shopping ie Target, Big W?

Are the beaches dog friendly??

Which are the best kid friendly suburbs I have little girls, a 3yr old and 1yr old?

I keep reading about British pubs in the area, are they any good with kids?

Are there any local cafes, takeaways, Indians ?Bars ( hubby's requirements)

Swimming pools or does everyone swim in the sea?

Are there any good mums groups? I miss my very English mums group in Airlie Beach.

Also what bout Kindergartens and daycare,is the ABC any good and will I have to book a place now for next year??? This was essential in Brisbane:eek:

Crime?

And does anyone have any pictures.

Thanks in advanced, for any help, PIO is an excellent site, We love it.

And hopefully this move will keep homesickness at bay for a little longer.:cool:

Cheers Lis

Ok, I`ve lived in Warnbro & Port Kennedy and have friends in Secret harbour, they all come under Rockingham Council - you have a large shopping center in Rockingham, the nearest Big W is down in Mandurah - all of the suburbs you mention are between Rockingham and Mandurah.

Warnbro is probably older - bigger blocks, you have at the Bottom of Warnbro (top of Port Kennedy) the Aqua Jetty YMCA run pool and fitness centre also a shopping centrer with Woolies and Coles etc, plenty of GPs etc in the area, plus a couple of smaller shopping centres further down Port Kennedy. Secret Harbour you have newer houses possibly smaller blocks of land, a gain a small shopping centre, GPs Surf Club. As for pubs - you have the Last Drop in Warnbro - older type kind of English feel to it, Port Kennedy You have the Port Kennedy Tavern and in Secret Harbour you the Whistling Kite (same people who own the PK tavern own this) - all are pretty good food wise, think the drinks at the Kite are more expensive though. I`d say for Warnbro and Port Kennedy there are a couple of streets to avoid - not sure about SH though. You have a dog beach at Warnbro and the nudist beach at Port Kennedy :biglaugh:

Hey, hope this helps. I posted this for some-one else a couple of weeks ago.

My father lives in Warnbro, this has good schools & a fairly large shopping centre as well as an Aqua Jetty with swimming pool & other facilities. There is also a sports complex which do football for all ages. It also holds lots of other classes & is very popular. My son played for Warnbro under 16's & loved it. It also has a train station with direct links to the City.My brother lives in Waikiki which is between Warnbro & Rockingham. They also have their own shopping centre & good schools in the area. My newphew is doing fine at his school, he is 9. My sister & another of my brothers & his family live in Port Kennedy, this is right next door to Warnbro. It also has 2 of its own shopping precincts & a large DIY store & much more. My 3 neices attend the school there & are doing fine. They are 12, 8 & 4. Both of these are around a 10 minute drive to Rockingham. It has an amazing beach & a lot of green area & parks for the kids to play. You can also use the free BBQ's provided if you wanted to make a day of it. I don't know about the schools in Rockingham I'm afraid, but it does have a large shopping centre. Also between Warnbro & Rockingham is Safety Bay. This has its own shopping centre & a lovely beach. One of my sisters friends kids attend the school there & he loves it. If you take the Safety Bay road to Rockingham it is a wonderful scenic drive, the views are just great. There are also a lot of parks & BBQ's along this road that you can stop on & enjoy the view. A BBQ at sunset there is not to be missed. Next to Port Kennedy is Secret Harbour, this is also a lovely area with its own shopping centre. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the schools in this area. After that there is Mandurah, don't know aboout schooling in this area either I'm afraid. It does have a large shopping centre & there is a lovely walk along the river there. There are several more places down past Mandurah, like Meadow Springs. This is quite a new area, my husband built a couple of houses there. It is quite large & has a newly built school. Don't know anymore than that though.

This is only my opinion obviously, but the post by ErmintrudeMcMoo is great as well. I love SOR & the there is a train station in Warnbro, think it is under an hour to the City.

I wish you luck with your move & hope you are very happy where-ever you settle. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lollii

Hey,

Me & My partner live in Port Kennedy 2 years ago when we landed. We lived there with my mum & dad. We Loved it.....Much better than The uk...Then We moved NOR....much better...More English ...Much Newer...Loads Nicer People...Rockingham Is full of bogans ( CHAVS) and you wont realise that at first untill you move else wherre, You get the wrong perapective of Australians, there not all like they are in rockingham!! xx

Hi, thanks for all the good information, its all been a great help..

We are going to rent for 6 months first and have a look around, definatly want to mingle with brits again and find someone to watch the liverpool games with, over here soccer is a dirty word, its all afl and league both of which i hate with a passion.

Do you guys know of any problems with fires during the summer? we have already lived through a cat 3 cyclone and it wasn't good, so a no fire zone is a deffo for us, cheers..

Hey,

Me & My partner live in Port Kennedy 2 years ago when we landed. We lived there with my mum & dad. We Loved it.....Much better than The uk...Then We moved NOR....much better...More English ...Much Newer...Loads Nicer People...Rockingham Is full of bogans ( CHAVS) and you wont realise that at first untill you move else wherre, You get the wrong perapective of Australians, there not all like they are in rockingham!! xx

There are Bogans as you call them everywhere Lolli, sorry but there are.

To be honest if you gave some of them a chance you would realise they are the salt of the earth and great people (most of them).

Ok, I`ve lived in Warnbro & Port Kennedy and have friends in Secret harbour, they all come under Rockingham Council - you have a large shopping center in Rockingham, the nearest Big W is down in Mandurah - all of the suburbs you mention are between Rockingham and Mandurah.

Warnbro is probably older - bigger blocks, you have at the Bottom of Warnbro (top of Port Kennedy) the Aqua Jetty YMCA run pool and fitness centre also a shopping centrer with Woolies and Coles etc, plenty of GPs etc in the area, plus a couple of smaller shopping centres further down Port Kennedy. Secret Harbour you have newer houses possibly smaller blocks of land, a gain a small shopping centre, GPs Surf Club. As for pubs - you have the Last Drop in Warnbro - older type kind of English feel to it, Port Kennedy You have the Port Kennedy Tavern and in Secret Harbour you the Whistling Kite (same people who own the PK tavern own this) - all are pretty good food wise, think the drinks at the Kite are more expensive though. I`d say for Warnbro and Port Kennedy there are a couple of streets to avoid - not sure about SH though. You have a dog beach at Warnbro and the nudist beach at Port Kennedy :biglaugh:

:shocked: i didn't know there was a nudist beach at port kennedy .... my dog will blush if we come across that :wideeyed:

:shocked: i didn't know there was a nudist beach at port kennedy .... my dog will blush if we come across that :wideeyed:

LOL! Oh yes - me & a friend wandered too far down the beach a few weeks ago with our dogs (honest guv we were too busy nattering to notice how far we`d gone!) and came across one for the first time - unfortunately he did not resemble any fit Hollywood stars I could think of - luckily it was a bit chilly and you couldn`t see anything cos of his beer gut!!:laugh:

We are going to rent for 6 months first and have a look around, definatly want to mingle with brits again and find someone to watch the liverpool games with, over here soccer is a dirty word, its all afl and league both of which i hate with a passion.

Do you guys know of any problems with fires during the summer? we have already lived through a cat 3 cyclone and it wasn't good, so a no fire zone is a deffo for us, cheers..

We have had a few bushfires at the start of summer - unfortunately deliberately lit but not had any now for a long time.

AFL is much bigger here than QLD. Although there is no NRL to contend with, they don't have a WA team.

Liverpool fan myself but I do like the AFL & NRL.

I'd expect you'd have to find an English or Irish pub to watch the Liverpool games with any atmos. I have watched games up the pub in the past but watch at home now or round with brothers-in-law.

We went the pub to watch the derby a couple of years ago and we were the only 3 watching, 2 or us are Reds, 1 is a Blue.

Archived