Cost of living / Salaries

downunder

Right, formal job offer has been received for Brisbane office... after all this chat of huge >$100,000 salaries I need some advice... I've been offered:

• Starting salary of $55,000 with annual review. Plus;
  • Superannuation 9%.
  • Fully maintained company car.

• Fully paid mobile telephone.
  • Bonus scheme.

• Living away from home allowance.

My o/h will also be looking for a job in IT once we are out there... what I'm really asking is will I be able to survive on this!!? (which is more than 2.2 x what I get here... and I have to pay for private fuel/company car tax out of my salary here)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, formal job offer has been received for Brisbane office... after all this chat of huge >$100,000 salaries I need some advice... I've been offered:

• Starting salary of $55,000 with annual review. Plus;

• Superannuation 9%.

• Fully maintained company car.

• Fully paid mobile telephone.

• Bonus scheme.

• Living away from home allowance.

My o/h will also be looking for a job in IT once we are out there... what I'm really asking is will I be able to survive on this!!? (which is more than 2.2 x what I get here... and I have to pay for private fuel/company car tax out of my salary here)

Hi

I live on the gold coast and work in the brisbane CBD. I earn 160k and take home about 7200 a month although my rent is high and I novate my car and have a piece of land I end up with about a greand a week left so I am pretty lucky, but the shopping costs are expensive, food is, but you can shop around and my fuel is paid for.

I lost my LAFHA which is awesome and will help, rent in Brisbane will set you back about 450-600 a week for somewhere you want to live expect at least 500-600 and it wont be that special.

My rent is 500 per week on the goldy but I am almost in the water so you do tend to get a little more for your money down their but the commute is a bitch at the minute. 1.5 hrs each way.

So, it all depends on how you want to live and where you want to live as rent will be the largest chunk out of your salary, remember bond payment as well, furniture, etc.

The start up costs can add up unless you find a furnished place to start with, more expense though. I think if your OH gets a job pretty soon you will be fine, but Brissy is quite expensive to live in a decent area, my colleague pays 795 a week for a new build in morningside, 4 bed with pool.

Hope this helps, if youhave any questions let me know.

Cheers

Kiss

Thanks Kiss.

I forgot to say, offer also includes $5,000 relocation costs, flights and first 6 weeks accommodation.

I'll be working out on the road covering the whole of the metropolitan area so rental location isn't as important as if I were commuting to CBD every day... o/h might disagree though! :biglaugh:

joobjoobs, it's just the two of you right? so you won't be needing a huge 4 bed mansion with a pool and five cars? And you don't need to be living really close to the CBD? and you've already got a company car? and You've been living on less than GBP25k in the UK?

In which case I would say, yes, you can survive on that salary, probably with a standard of living fairly similar to what you have.

Myself and partner are spending about $50k a year, including car, trip back to UK plus holiday in tropics, eating out twice a week, not scrimping on food/wine, buying whatever computer games/electronics/sporting equipment we feel like, scuba courses, etc etc etc (so lots of luxuries we could definitely survive without). We live in a two bed unit close to the city centre in Adelaide, so rent would probably be equivalent to a similar property further out from the city in Brisbane. You probably won't be saving much until the OH gets a job, but you can most definitely survive.

joobjoobs, it's just the two of you right? so you won't be needing a huge 4 bed mansion with a pool and five cars? And you don't need to be living really close to the CBD? and you've already got a company car? and You've been living on less than GBP25k in the UK?

In which case I would say, yes, you can survive on that salary, probably with a standard of living fairly similar to what you have.

Myself and partner are spending about $50k a year, including car, trip back to UK plus holiday in tropics, eating out twice a week, not scrimping on food/wine, buying whatever computer games/electronics/sporting equipment we feel like, scuba courses, etc etc etc (so lots of luxuries we could definitely survive without). We live in a two bed unit close to the city centre in Adelaide, so rent would probably be equivalent to a similar property further out from the city in Brisbane. You probably won't be saving much until the OH gets a job, but you can most definitely survive.

Yeah, just the two of us and the dog. While 4 bed mansion with pool and 5 cars would be great... would need to win the Lotto for that!! Heh. Nah, we currently live in a 3 bed semi so as long as we can get somewhere comfortable with a spare room for any rellies who are visiting/an office area then we'd be fine.... will just need to make sure o/h has his cv up to scratch and try n get some interviews lined up for him when we arrive!

Guest ozziepozzie
here is the website have a look for yourself : we are currently moving over so have done our homework.

Individual income tax rates

Hope that helps

Thanks. We are hping to move to Melbourne this year. The calculator is very helpful.

Martin:biggrin:

Guest megofoz

At 50k you are at the lower end of wage earners. You do get support from the government in the way of family tax benefits and if its 2 kids you have and you will be renting when you get here you will probably get about $400 f/n ( could be a bit more). My husband is on about 55k and we have 3 children, I work part time earning about an extra 15k and we generally do ok ...but we have no debt so that helps. I am an Aussie and I can assure you that this country over the past ten years has gone mad with regards to cost of living - fuel, groceries and housing is thru the roof. My husband is British expat and even his family visiting recently couldn't believe the difference in cost of living as opposed to 5 years ago.

We are a family of 4 and Im on about 70k, we can survive on that but it would be pretty boring and we couldnt afford to do much, I reckon 100k will give you a good lifestyle, I reckon the cost of living is the same as the Uk in general but wages are higher in nursing which is what I do. A main wage of 70k plus a second wage of 30k would give you a good lifestyle and the exchange rate is 1.6 not 2.2

I think you maybe right there ..... 22k is what perhaps 1 person would live on in the uk so family of 4 would be a real struggle!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Woah love that quote :-) We are a family of 5 and we survive (just) in the Uk for a lot less than £22K!!!!

We are a family of 4 and Im on about 70k, we can survive on that but it would be pretty boring and we couldnt afford to do much, I reckon 100k will give you a good lifestyle, I reckon the cost of living is the same as the Uk in general but wages are higher in nursing which is what I do. A main wage of 70k plus a second wage of 30k would give you a good lifestyle and the exchange rate is 1.6 not 2.2

It worries me when people convert their potential AUS salary to GBP at 1.6 and think that is a reasonable comparison. It isn't. The exchange rate is only relevant to tourists and for migrants when moving over an initial capital sum.

To get an idea about affordability, people need to think about a 2.2 ~2.4 comparison as things cost about this much more in AUD than GBP.

It worries me when people convert their potential AUS salary to GBP at 1.6 and think that is a reasonable comparison. It isn't. The exchange rate is only relevant to tourists and for migrants when moving over an initial capital sum.

To get an idea about affordability, people need to think about a 2.2 ~2.4 comparison as things cost about this much more in AUD than GBP.

I know what you mean Pumpkin .... I am not yet in Oz but am already trying to think of our new life in Australia without equating everything to the GBP ! After all it wont mean anything once your there will it !!

Good advice

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Correctamundo plumpkin. lol :wink:

Guest Aussie in Scotland

Well as an Aussie who has lived in both countries....some stuff is cheaper...and some stuff is more expensive. I think it all evens out...the only thing that you would be going to Australia for that is a definate is the lifestyle. If you want a laid back lifestyle with friendly people...then go for it...and most of all...don't convert!!! We are going home in less than 6 weeks after being here for almost 4 years this time...and this is going to be our last time. We are all white as sheets!!!!

That's an interesting thread which needs to be bookmarked.:yes:

Just for comparison and in relation to earlier posts in this thread, the two of us lived off 46k in London which was often considered as undoable. But not only did we survive but we also saved money during our time in London. Obviously a lot depends on what your life style is and which particular needs you have.

For example, without being old fashioned (I am 33), we just do not need iphones or a car, neither do we aim for fancy housing, and we don't go out eating in a (posh) restaurant every week.

I am curious (and of course also nervous) to see how it will turn out to be for us once we are in Melbourne. All I know is that housing is cheaper than in London which is a big plus as you easily pay 1500£ a month in London in zone 3 for a rubbishy one bed flat in a dodgy area from where you need to commute two hours one way.

So far only one of us will have a job in Melbourne (this is were the sponsorship came from) but I will hopefully find something in the first six months, hopefully earlier. So for the first few months we willl have to live on one salary only. However, I hope it will be doable as my partner will earn approximately 77k which seems quite ok to me, especially in comparison to London wages which are not that much higher than in other parts of the UK (even though many people seem to think this way!) - unless you work in banking or IT in the city which only a small part of the population does.

Anyway I will keep you posted about our experiences in Oz as soon as we are able to draw a more realistic and up to date picture of our expenses.

My husband sent me this link the other day. I don't know how accurate it is, but as we're trying to work out where we'll be better off between four or five places atm, it's a guide!!!

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

It seems to be a bit Wikapedia like though, it doesn't seem very accurate for where we are now (for eg, 1kg of cheese for £4.85 - what sort? Value range tastes of plastic nastiness?! £7.16 for 1Kg of skinless chicken breasts - closer to £11 something/kg in our Tesco....). Massive Shame - would be a really good tool, but if this end is that far off, how far off is it fro the Autralian end? >< :(

Will keep an eye on it though, might be useful as it progresses - thank you for posting, don't mean to sound ungrateful :wubclub:

numbeo is a pointless web site as making comparisons in the same currency for both countries is stupid !!!! These are dependant on salaries in both countries and then it becomes more relevant with regards to cost of living... What you need to do is get a thread going by adding ball part average fuel bills - petrol- rental - food - leisure and make direct comparisons from people and families living directly in respective countries. That way your sure to get a more acurate scale.

Just my opinion

numbeo is a pointless web site as making comparisons in the same currency for both countries is stupid !!!! These are dependant on salaries in both countries and then it becomes more relevant with regards to cost of living... What you need to do is get a thread going by adding ball part average fuel bills - petrol- rental - food - leisure and make direct comparisons from people and families living directly in respective countries. That way your sure to get a more acurate scale.

Just my opinion

I did say I didn't know how accurate it is!

We're trying to work out which country to live live in (between three of them) and working out what the respective salaries might get us in all three, using the currency my oh would be earning, so perhaps not as stupid as you think.......

It's just another tool that some people in a similar situation to ours might find useful....or perhaps not....

Positive Pixie - I looked at the prices too and they do seem to vary. Perhaps they're an average? I don't know. The cost of most of the groceries are different (some higher and some lower) than I pay, but they vary around the country too. I looked at Manchester and Norwich (where I live) and they are different! It just gives you a bit of an idea, I suppose. I wouldn't take it too seriously.:smile:

sorry wasnt calling you stupid ..nI was talking to all not Just to one, only saying dont think its the best website to get acurate figure, dont wish to offend

:wink: I've been called worse!!

I agree, it's probably not the most accurate, but it does give a bit of an idea.

You didn't offend me - I'm just a bit stressed atm:smile:

:wink: I've been called worse!!

I agree, it's probably not the most accurate, but it does give a bit of an idea.

You didn't offend me - I'm just a bit stressed atm:smile:

Me too ... trying to organise the bloody removals and its proving stressful

Lets have a glass of wine !! x

Archived