Would you write to the Minister of Immigration?

sami

I would love to write to the Minister of Immigration, but don´t know if that´s the sort of thing we "normal" people can do. I also don´t want to put my real name or address, as I don´t want our future chance of Residency get a red cross over it. So how could I do it ??

I would love to write to the Minister of Immigration, but don´t know if that´s the sort of thing we "normal" people can do. I also don´t want to put my real name or address, as I don´t want our future chance of Residency get a red cross over it. So how could I do it ??

What would you write to the minister that you think would jeopardize your application?

Guest Guest47308

I would write a begging letter for our visa :wink:

On a serious note, it depends on what you want to say? I dont think it could jepordise your application. Maybe wait till you have activated your visa if its less than complimentry.......

PP

We have just lost 457 sponsorship for the 3rd time, and many things seem to be so unjust, why not protect the 457 immigrant with a letter from the sponsor saying the job will be available for 3 years, instead of needing that letter to achieve PR? Most people after PR are free to switch careers, look for better paid jobs, move cities, whatever, they are FREE, why do we need the letter? Among many other idiotic things, like requesting a IELTS test when DIAC exempts people that earn over 85K...and many many more...

I would love to write and suggest they could look at each application in its own merits and look at the bigger picture. i.e Any children that will add to the Australia economy in the future, job offer not just applying under a trade and not getting a job in the trade.

I know the list could be endless but people that want to move to Australia should all get a fair crack of the whip . I know the emphasis is on filling voids in job sectors but do they honestly believe that all of the applicants work in the trade when they arrive. Some cant find a job if they cant why is the job in demand ? Some dont even want to work in the trade but are lucky enough to have worked in a trade that is on the SOL.

Why not look at a family or a couple or an Individual and talk to them, Vet them see how much they want to live in Australia how much they know about the country at least this way they would know the person rather than what is on a CV !

Good luck to all

HI Shano7, totally agree with you, we are fully settled in Perth, husband highly qualified, over 20 years experience, but over 50, son studying at Uni, bought a house....and apart from that damned letter we require from the sponsor, who will now withdraw sponsorship after 10 months because they cannot guarantee work for the next 3 years.... I feel there should be a possibility of an interview to put forward cases like these. Now we have to look for another sponsor, will he give the much maligned letter after 1 year? Or do we keep on jumping from sponsor to sponsor? I am so, so , mad at this farce. Then I have an Asian neighbour, who can hardly speak English and the other day when I was chatting to him thinking he might be on a 457, he tells me he has PR, how do some people manage to jump the queue?

:mad::mad::mad:

HI Shano7, totally agree with you, we are fully settled in Perth, husband highly qualified, over 20 years experience, but over 50, son studying at Uni, bought a house....and apart from that damned letter we require from the sponsor, who will now withdraw sponsorship after 10 months because they cannot guarantee work for the next 3 years.... I feel there should be a possibility of an interview to put forward cases like these. Now we have to look for another sponsor, will he give the much maligned letter after 1 year? Or do we keep on jumping from sponsor to sponsor? I am so, so , mad at this farce. Then I have an Asian neighbour, who can hardly speak English and the other day when I was chatting to him thinking he might be on a 457, he tells me he has PR, how do some people manage to jump the queue?

If we eventually get to Perth my wife WILL be working FULL TIME in my Uncles HAIRDRESSING SALON in LondonCourt Perth, do you know the Salon Barry Kempe Hair Studio ? . Wether this on 121 or 176 Visa. This shows that we are 100% wanting to Move.

Its unfair when you have moved and are working in the declared occupation and await your visa when there are people who have PR that never have worked in their declared trade.

Good Luck

Shane

If we eventually get to Perth my wife WILL be working FULL TIME in my Uncles HAIRDRESSING SALON in LondonCourt Perth, do you know the Salon Barry Kempe Hair Studio ? . Wether this on 121 or 176 Visa. This shows that we are 100% wanting to Move.

Its unfair when you have moved and are working in the declared occupation and await your visa when there are people who have PR that never have worked in their declared trade.

Good Luck

Shane

There is a very good reason why a lot of migrants do not work in their trade.

I went on PR visa and found it was impossible to get a job in my trade except a temp contract

And I could find no one who was willing or able to tell me were in Australia the skills shortage in my trade was / is.

In fact on two occasions Australians told me that people in my trade had retrained for another Trade!

You are lucky your relative can offer you a job in your trade

The relatives I have in Australia work in trades I have no skills or experience in.

I would love to write and suggest they could look at each application in its own merits and look at the bigger picture. i.e Any children that will add to the Australia economy in the future, job offer not just applying under a trade and not getting a job in the trade.

I know the list could be endless but people that want to move to Australia should all get a fair crack of the whip . I know the emphasis is on filling voids in job sectors but do they honestly believe that all of the applicants work in the trade when they arrive. Some cant find a job if they cant why is the job in demand ? Some dont even want to work in the trade but are lucky enough to have worked in a trade that is on the SOL.

Why not look at a family or a couple or an Individual and talk to them, Vet them see how much they want to live in Australia how much they know about the country at least this way they would know the person rather than what is on a CV !

Good luck to all

I my opinion there has been some experimenting with the truth when the skills in demand list was written.

There are some genuine skill shortages on the list and some that really should not be on the list anymore.

Guest destinationoz

Hi Sami

About 18/24 months ago the Minister of Immi changed the rules suddenly and we were told we wouldn't get our visa for 3 years - I was peed off mainly because we had just been told to get our police checks and meds and had spent money on this so I wrote to him to complain ...

We got our visa a few MONTHS later - however LOADS of people complained so it wasn't my letter alone but it may have helped!

Keep your letter clear and concise, try not to be personal and emotional but factual and honest - copy in other "high up" / influential people - gotta be worth a try? Good Luck

We have just lost 457 sponsorship for the 3rd time, and many things seem to be so unjust, why not protect the 457 immigrant with a letter from the sponsor saying the job will be available for 3 years, instead of needing that letter to achieve PR? Most people after PR are free to switch careers, look for better paid jobs, move cities, whatever, they are FREE, why do we need the letter? Among many other idiotic things, like requesting a IELTS test when DIAC exempts people that earn over 85K...and many many more...

I have seen DIAC chnage the rules in a manner I think it unfair on loads of occasions ... but I do not understand what you are upset about exactly?

There is no such thing as a 457 immigrant, a 457 holder is a temporary worker. This should be well understood at the time the visa is granted and if you did not understand this then it is your fault, not the minister of immigrations.

I am not exactly sure what letter you are talking about, but I am going to assume that it is the commitment an employer would need to make to sponsor for the PR visa. Well it is a letter of intent not a legal obligation to either party but I don't think it is entirely unreasonable that it is requested.

People that get skilled migrant PR visas also jump through hoops to get that.

As for requiring IELTS bt not if you earn over $85k, well I have certainly never heard this before, are you absolutely sure? Perhaps you should double check a few things before you write your letter. Although, as others have said, I am sure it would not jeopardise any future application you may make.

We came here on 457 because our original sponsor wanted my husband here within a couple of weeks and there was no time to apply for anything else. ALSO my husband was 47 at the time, so that didn´t leave other options either. Our intention and the original sponsor was always to get PR after the 2 years. Do you truly believe anyone uproots their whole life for 2 years work? For that type of thing you don´t move the whole family or buy a house in Australia, etc, etc!!

As for the English requirements check this: Also my husband has done ielts with a 7,5 pass, and his mother tongue is not English, although he (and I) lived and studied in South Africa for many years.

Skilled Workers Temporary Visa Options - Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration (changes to English language proficiency requirements as from 14 Sept 2009)

Who must meet the requirement?

All primary applicants must meet the English language requirement for visa grant unless they fall into one of the categories of exempted persons, and where English language proficiency is not required for registration or licensing purposes.

Exemptions are based on:

Country of Citizenship

Nominated occupation

Salary level (which is base salary of $85,090)

Secondary and/or Higher Education studies.

There is a list on ComLaw of English language exemptions (IMMI 10/086). Please check this list to determine if you are exempt.

See: ComLaw

As for the letter required from the sponsor - yes it might be a letter of INTENT and not obligation, but unfortunately the company does not see it that way, and because it cannot guarantee work for the next 3 years, they will not give the letter as they say it would be "lying" to immigration. Even though my husband said he would be prepared to sign a legal document to say he would leave them as soon as he gets PR (which would be possible to apply for in less than 2 months) they still do not agree. That is my gripe! So I think the letter should be provided when you are on 457 to protect you for the 2 years or whatever, not to get PR, because by then most people leave to get a better paid job, change careers, cities, or whatever as they are now free to do what they please.

We came here on 457 because our original sponsor wanted my husband here within a couple of weeks and there was no time to apply for anything else. ALSO my husband was 47 at the time, so that didn´t leave other options either. Our intention and the original sponsor was always to get PR after the 2 years. Do you truly believe anyone uproots their whole life for 2 years work? For that type of thing you don´t move the whole family or buy a house in Australia, etc, etc!!

It was your choice. The 457 is a temporary visa and always has been. I would and do always advise anyone over 45 against going for a 457 visa and indeed I would advise anyone who qualifies for PR visa against it if they have the option of a PR visa and want to make a permanent move.

Do I think people would uproot for 2 years work. I cannot imagine why anyone would chose to do this. But you did.. YOU. It was your choice. And no point blaming anyone else for your decisions. You have not been deceived or misled, you didn't do your research properly. I have lost count of the number of times I have advised people against this route when they are in a similar situation to you, but most just do not want to hear it.

It was your choice. The 457 is a temporary visa and always has been. I would and do always advise anyone over 45 against going for a 457 visa and indeed I would advise anyone who qualifies for PR visa against it if they have the option of a PR visa and want to make a permanent move.

Do I think people would uproot for 2 years work. I cannot imagine why anyone would chose to do this. But you did.. YOU. It was your choice. And no point blaming anyone else for your decisions. You have not been deceived or misled, you didn't do your research properly. I have lost count of the number of times I have advised people against this route when they are in a similar situation to you, but most just do not want to hear it.

I have to agree

The 457 visa is a temporary visa with the possibility of a being able to apply PR visa after 2 years

If I could only get a temporary 457 visa over the age of 40 then there is no way I would sell my house in the U.K unless It could not be rented out.

Or give up a well paid job in the U.K.

I doubt the minister for immigration would really give two hoots. As the others have said, a temporary visa is a temporary visa and there is no guarantee that it will ever become permanent. If it was guaranteed to be permanent then there would be no need for temp visas which are designed to fill short term short falls in the job market. You can write to him if you want to but I doubt he is going to do anything to change the processes to suit someone who thinks they have a right to be here but who doesnt fulfill the criteria set down. Do you have any other options?

I have seen DIAC chnage the rules in a manner I think it unfair on loads of occasions ... but I do not understand what you are upset about exactly?

There is no such thing as a 457 immigrant, a 457 holder is a temporary worker. This should be well understood at the time the visa is granted and if you did not understand this then it is your fault, not the minister of immigrations.

I am not exactly sure what letter you are talking about, but I am going to assume that it is the commitment an employer would need to make to sponsor for the PR visa. Well it is a letter of intent not a legal obligation to either party but I don't think it is entirely unreasonable that it is requested.

People that get skilled migrant PR visas also jump through hoops to get that.

As for requiring IELTS bt not if you earn over $85k, well I have certainly never heard this before, are you absolutely sure? Perhaps you should double check a few things before you write your letter. Although, as others have said, I am sure it would not jeopardise any future application you may make.

That is soo true.

Took me from 2002 when I first applied until 2007 when I finally got my PR visa on a second attempt.

When you don´t know our circumstances you cannot say we DO NOT FULFILL THE CRITERIA. We DO, job is on the Sol and Ensol list, highly paid job, Ielts done, etc, etc, etc. You do not know our circumstances so you should not put people down, I´m looking for opinions if anyone has written a letter and got a favourable reply, or maybe a bit of simpathy...When we came, the sponsor paid for our trips, our container, 3 months rental accommodation, paid for paperwork to be done by a migration co, very good salary, company car...their contract stipulated they would sponsor and pay for PR.

BUT unfortunately when the recession hit and the projects they had started to be frozen, the 457 employees were the first to go. The paperwork was all with DIAC already when they requested an Ielts test before approval, but due to the withdrawal all went down the drain.

This sponsor again offered a well paid job, but because they did not win 2 bids for contracts they were hoping to win, the position was extinguished (even though during the interview and previous to accepting the job, the sponsor said, winning or losing the contracts would have no impact on the job offer, as they had plenty of work). A great lie, as they do not have that much going on and were relying on winning those contracts and that´s why they needed him as a Bid Manager as they couldn´t find anyone else with those qualifications and expertise. We are the victims in these cases.

I do agree that 457´s might be needed to fill low paid and unqualified short term positions, BUT certainly not high paid jobs that are on the lists. Those should be under a different type of visa, in case of the people over 45 as was our case, when the skill is sought after and is not to fill a temporary void in the market, like working for McDonald´s or fruit picking.

I don´t like to insult anyone for their choices, good or bad, so I would rather not be insulted because I made the wrong choice or didn´t investigate the 457 visa better. It´s true we did not investigate, my husband came for an interview, signed the contract a week later, was told to start work 2 months later. There was enough time to pack our belongings in a container, sell the cars, and little more. As I said they were more than keen to sponsor our residence.

I wasn´t aware of such sites like PIO, as we lived in Portugal not the UK, and not many people emigrate to Australia from Portugal so we had no one to consult or compare notes about the move.

I´m not sorry we made the move, we did it to provide a better future for our children, as my husband had what could be considered a good job and we had an above average lifestyle.

SO we will look forward to getting a new sponsor and another year and hope that he will then give us the letter to enable us to obtain PR.

No insult intended, sorry - however, if you did fulfill all the criteria - all the boxes ticked, all the pieces of paper submitted then you would have PR but as you are in this predicament it is obvious that you are not fulfilling all the criteria as set down. It is not unusual for employers of people on temporary visas to treat them appallingly - there are many tales of woe from folk who have come here with the best of intentions but been sold a pup and either gone home or found another more amicable sponsor. Temp visa holders arent usually stacking shelves at Maccas either - there are plenty of young Aussies to do that! Some of the temp visa holders I have encountered have been lured here by employers, not because they couldnt find anyone to do the job, necessarily, but because no Aussie would do it for what they were prepared to pay for it. As I understand it, you are always welcome to find another sponsor if the first one goes pear shaped. However, I doubt the Minister is really going to be that interested (he will never see the letter anyway, it will be answered by an ASO4 in Canberra and checked by an EL2 if you are lucky)

In response to the first question I would be very surprised if a letter to the minister would affect your situation. My experience with the minister is that he doesn't respond in any event. To not use your name or provide your address is deceitful, and definitely not part of the Australian way of conducting business.

As regards 457 visa's and converting to Australian PR it should be remembered that a 457 visa is primary a work visa and not a stepping stone to PR, though many use it as such. There is no restriction on one applying for a PR visa while working on a 457 (175, 176 I can't remember). Just because one works in Australia on a work permit I don't see how it be seen as a right to qualify for PR. Compare the Australian 457 visa to work permits in the Middle East and they are actually very generous in their "stepping stone" to full PR. Most people working in the Middle East are considered tempory, 457 visa's are no different, and are primary designed to fill short term skills shortage gaps. Gaps which may not exist after 2 or 3 years, similar to the ME.

Australia is the premier immigration destination in the world. Australia has the right to to decide who it wishes to allow to immigrate and under what conditions. If that does not suit with anybody's personal circumstances, well that is still Australia's right. I read somewhere that only 1 in 7 applying to immigrate to Australia will be successful, never mind those who consider it but never apply.

Sorry if this seems harsh but you are not in the Uk any more, the Empire died decades ago so you are in Aussie eyes, simply a foreigner. Australia let you in on their terms and they are free to move the goalposts if they wish to protect Australian interests. Fairness doesnt come into it at all. I doubt the immigration minister is going to change the rules just for you. They can find another person/mug to take your place if they want. You are not a citizen so you opinion doesnt count for anything. They never asked you to come to Australia, you applied to do so.

Imagine if immigrants in the UK started gettign bolshie and started whingeing about immigration policy, demanding to be let in or stay, free housing etc. Most people would think if you dont like it then bugger off back to where you came from. The only problem with the UK is that they seem to let anyone in and look what mess it has resulted in.

Unfortunately life isnt fair and I'm sure some of these rules are in place to 'encourage' some immigrants to go home and make life very difficult. The Christmas Island situation exists specifically to prevent asylum seekers from claiming asylum as they are technically not on Australian soil. I found getting a job/creditcard/house difficult on my visa but you have to put up with it.

When you have gained Aussie citizenship then you can complain. Remember it is their country not yours.

Guest ashnmatti

!! Im sorry but you neighbour may not have jumped any que......if hes gone through what we have been going through since jan 2010. started app for 175 on my job (hairdressing) took off the list last summer....HAD TO START AGAIN. started re applying for 175 nov 2010 when gov decided we could still apply on OH job (plumbing) ending up being too long wait for trade assessment for visa so now changing back to my job for SS to SA. I have 3 months to get my trade assessed, get SS and lodge with diac for 176!! personally i dont think its gunna get done because of processing times, but if it does then i will be waiting 12 months for my visa. Please dont call the process easy.... or jumping the que because its bloody far from it!! your own fault for moving to the other side of the world for something that risky

Maybe your Asian neighbour was under 45 when he applied and actually qualifies for PR.

If thats the case you cant blame him for queue jumping just because he qualifies and you dont.

Maybe jumping the queue is the wrong expression, what I meant is when he can hardly speak English, where is the uniformity of the immigration process when some of us have to go through Ielts etc, and some manage to get PR without being able to speak the language - most of the Asian shopkeepers for example...they have the money to immigrate that´s it! Lucky them!!

Well I won´t write at all, just hope our next sponsor will not be so deceitful.

Archived