Who to fly with??!!

smw

Hi,

Need some help, my other half and me are really finding it difficult to make a decision and pick an airline to fly to oz in November for our reckie...its driving us crazy :wacko:

Looked at a few airlines and read some horrible things about poor service and being crammed in like sardines with bum numbing seats!!...any my hubby hates flying, could it be any worse!!!

Any one have any advice and reccomendations....any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Steph

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nataliepowell

Hi

We are going with Singapore Airlines and I have never been with them but have seen and heard nothing but good reviews.

Singapore airport meant to be great too if you only have a short stop between flights - swimming pool with shower facilities/cinema/butterfly garden/massages - and I saw something about renting a room for 4 hours for about £40 - so great if you want a quick head down. If you are stopping over for quite a few hours then apparently there are some day trips from the airport.

They also do their stopover holidays which is what we are doing which gives discount on hotel, shops and restaurant, free transport to and from airport, bus pass, sim card for your phone and free entry to Sentosa Island, Singapore Zoo and other attractions.

Hope that helps

i wouldnt hesitate to fly singapore airlines , ive used them a lot and always had a good flight with them , their service is very good , most of the asian airlines are great with kids

malaysian air are also good .

personally i would only fly british or qantas if there was no other option ,or it was short time flight [ interstate]

the last time i flew british i was on a broken chair for 14 hours i told them straight away and told them again another 4 times through the flight , it didnt seem to bother them until we came to land when they insisted i move ,

i fell asleep for an hour and a half , and in that time i must have missed all meals as i never got fed , and i had to go up to get a cup of tea three times as i must have missed the refreshment trolley at the same time as i never got offerd a drink, bad service really didnt describe the flight !!!

Guest english reject

Singapore for us all the way, dont forget they have a brand new fleet of airbus planes very good indeed.

ER

Guest siamsusie

I always fly with Singapore, they are the tops imo, Emirates are also good as are Malaysian.

Susie x

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the help, really appreciated.

We thought about Emirates, but heard some bad things. Were doing the non stop over flight...going to be an experience!!!

Cant wait to get there!!:jiggy:

I've never had any problems with Qantas and I have tried many different airlines over the years and still come back to the flying kangaroo. Whichever airline you go with, join their frequent flyer scheme and you can pick up some cheap flights down the track and you need to fly again. British Airways though ... it took me 25 years after one particular nightmare to give them another chance and they blew it again last year so no more BA for me (well, not for another 25 years at least)

We are going to book with Singapore as heard so much positive things about them and especially as we are travelling with 2 very young children.

We looked into qantas and their flights online seemed reasonable but we called them to ask if they did special migrant fares. They do and quoted us about £1000 more than their online fare. When we asked them why so much more, they said it is a special migrant fare and they allow you 40kg baggage each and the fare online is standard baggage. You would think they would allow free double baggage like Singapore, but no.

Claire

Hi!

Our Visa is meant to be being granted early April so we are looking for flights in July, I've not flown Singapore and am terrified of flying..... people sound quite happy with them :-)

We flew Etihad last time to Oz.

Thai Airways is coming up as the cheapest at the moment when we do a search, anyone flown them before?

Thanks

Amy :eek::eek:

Guest canuckypom

I fly a lot and you won't have any trouble with Singapore. Malaysian is pretty good as well (didn't used to be). I'd seriously avoid Thai - used to be comparable to the others but no more, I had a very poor flight on a very old plane from the UK to Oz back in the autumn. I've been going back and forth between the UK and Oz a bit and last time I came on Emirates - first time with them and I was completely impressed. Good amount of leg room, new plane, totally excellent service and the on board entertainment was excellent. And their prices are very competitite to boot (I needed a flexible return date and that too lined up, minimal price for date changes). So overall - excluding the bonus of stop overs in Asia, I think I'd pick Emirates. Cheers

Emirates or singapore we will fly but depends on flight times .... I woudl prefer a quick hotel stopover in between as good to get some kip and decent shower etc... emirates also fly from manchester which is great for me. Singapore is out of heathrow if Im not mistaken.?

Guest mjandmum
Hi,

Need some help, my other half and me are really finding it difficult to make a decision and pick an airline to fly to oz in November for our reckie...its driving us crazy :wacko:

Looked at a few airlines and read some horrible things about poor service and being crammed in like sardines with bum numbing seats!!...any my hubby hates flying, could it be any worse!!!

Any one have any advice and reccomendations....any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Steph

Hi

I flew with Singapore and Malaysian and Malyasian were by far the best. Granted the planes aren't the newest but the staff, food and service were all top notch. I flew with a 6 month old baby and they couldnt do enough to help.

Guest canuckypom

An update: I just came back to the UK from Oz on Emirates and my opinion hasn't changed - 3 flights and all excellent new aircraft with fantastic service, food and entertainment (the last flight, a 747 jumbo, also had really exceptional leg room (compared to other 747s I've been on, and much better than the standard airbus etc). They even had a guy with a polaroid camera popping around taking instant snaps for free (given out in a little frame). My job used to see me in the air in Asia alot so I've flown all the competition. If the fares are comparable, either Malaysian or Singapore would be just fine - at the minute though it looks like Emirates are pulling out all the stops to compete. Have fun - am sure either of these will make for an easy-ish journey.

Guest siamsusie
Emirates or singapore we will fly but depends on flight times .... I woudl prefer a quick hotel stopover in between as good to get some kip and decent shower etc... emirates also fly from manchester which is great for me. Singapore is out of heathrow if Im not mistaken.?

Singapore is also out of Mancehster Lou:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Are they Susie ? Do they fly Via Heathrow though ? Well if thats so though great !! Love both airlines :biggrin:

Thanks Susie

Via ummpah ummpah land:jiggy: Lou (Munich)

This might interest u all and if u navigate through the site u can seat how much room u have on each airline/plane

seatguru.com

Hope this helps. By the way.. Malaysian have ben the best for me.. Singapore are good.... Air Asia wil be cramped but v cheap and u dont get entertainment or meals included.. its a long way wiout this and they only fly out of Stansted. This time Im lookin at flyin with Emirates as they allow u to take out 30kgs as std (economy class).. other generally only allow 20kgs check in

Best regards

Antony

Guest VickyMel

I'd be interested if anyone has any comments on when to fly.

We are flying out (South Africa to Melbourne) in July (I think relating to UK schools breaking up??) and noticed that on one airline I looked at that the prices seemed quite a bit higher in the middle of the month and am wondering if it is best to leave it until late July or even August in case of cheaper seats and especially hopefully fewer passengers.

Thanks

Vicky

I have flown alot of airlines.

Royal Brunei: they were pretty good actually they don't serve alcohol but you can use your own duty free.

Malaysian Airlines: they are very good, my Auntie and Uncle only use them when they come over.

KLM : Well they were ok, just alot of delays, but wanted to go to Amsterdam for a side trip which was fab.

Singapore:-) excellent as most people will tell you.:yes:

Qantas I am not a fan off at all, don't even fly them around OZ I only use Virgin Blue and Jetstar, which are very good, you don't get food but I just bring stuff for us to nibble on for our 3/4 hr flight.

We have flown Emirate the last 2 times and I think they are Fantastic, really good great in seat entertainment, great packs for the kids and Dubai Airport is pretty good for Duty Free and I like the shorter flight.:yes::yes:

I think alot are pretty much on par.

But the price would make me look at trying someone else if it was a big saving

Laney 000:wubclub:

Guest guest17301

My family fly out next week with Emirates so thats good to hear. They came with Singapore before and they were excellent. My Nan will be having the wheelchair service this year as she turns 80 in August and found the walking a bit much last year, I hope it makes the difference.

Archived