Who to fly with??!!

smw

Guest Revs30

Flying out with Singapore Airlines myself in June.

For myself, wife, and 2 kids came to just over £2100. Excellent i think

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have flown Singapore before and they were excellent.

Would love to have used them again but we're having a few days in Bangkok on the way. Avoided Thai as they apparantly use quite an old fleet between LHR and BKK so it's Qantas to BKK then BA to SYD. Not a fan of BA after one experience with them but maybe they will prove better this time.

I'd be interested if anyone has any comments on when to fly.

We are flying out (South Africa to Melbourne) in July (I think relating to UK schools breaking up??) and noticed that on one airline I looked at that the prices seemed quite a bit higher in the middle of the month and am wondering if it is best to leave it until late July or even August in case of cheaper seats and especially hopefully fewer passengers.

Thanks

Vicky

Hi VickyMel

I don't know when the best time to fly to Melbourne is but generally flights cost a lot more in December because of Christmas and the start of summer and generally cheaper in winter. So, I think you heading out in July or August would be fairly reasonable.

We are flying in October, 2 adults, 1 child and baby with Singapore from Heathrow to Sydney and we paid £2300.

Regards

Claire

Guest VickyMel

Thanks Revs & Claire

My family fly out next week with Emirates so thats good to hear. They came with Singapore before and they were excellent. My Nan will be having the wheelchair service this year as she turns 80 in August and found the walking a bit much last year, I hope it makes the difference.

I have been at Dubai airport a couple of times the wheelchair service looked amazingly well organised and lots of little golf carts moving people around as well.

Guest siamsusie
Hi VickyMel

I don't know when the best time to fly to Melbourne is but generally flights cost a lot more in December because of Christmas and the start of summer and generally cheaper in winter. So, I think you heading out in July or August would be fairly reasonable.

We are flying in October, 2 adults, 1 child and baby with Singapore from Heathrow to Sydney and we paid £2300.

Regards

Claire

I have just booked one of our sons to fly London - Melbourne - Launceston (Qts) with Singapore on December 4th for 6 weeks return under a grand on all 4 legs on the A380 which included 120 GBP preferred seats which I didnt think was bad at all over Christmas.

Susie

I have just booked one of our sons to fly London - Melbourne - Launceston (Qts) with Singapore on December 4th for 6 weeks return under a grand on all 4 legs on the A380 which included 120 GBP preferred seats which I didnt think was bad at all over Christmas.

Susie

Ah yes I was basing this on when we flew out in Dec 08. The prices to around 12th Dec were cheaper than when we flew out on 17th Dec. So I think the closer to Christmas the more they are.

Claire

Hi!

Our Visa is meant to be being granted early April so we are looking for flights in July, I've not flown Singapore and am terrified of flying..... people sound quite happy with them :-)

We flew Etihad last time to Oz.

Thai Airways is coming up as the cheapest at the moment when we do a search, anyone flown them before?

Thanks

Amy :eek::eek:

Hi Amy,

What did you think of Ethiad? I'm considering flying with them as they do daytime flights (I hope it will make life easier flying with an 18 month old). I'll worry about adapting her body clock once we get to Oz. :arghh:

Thanks

Amanda

Hi Amy,

What did you think of Ethiad? I'm considering flying with them as they do daytime flights (I hope it will make life easier flying with an 18 month old). I'll worry about adapting her body clock once we get to Oz. :arghh:

Thanks

Amanda

check this site for etihad reviews. http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/etihad.htm

You can also search for other airlines on that site. (do check which class the reviews are talking about, as many airlines get good reviews in first, but atrocious in economy).

With an 18month old, I'd be trying to fly via Singapore, and personally I'd be going for the night flight. They'd be staying up late to board the plane, so be tired enough to go to sleep on the first leg. Then in Singapore there is plenty to keep them occupied /tire them out again (swimming pool, butterfly gardens, other gardens, fish ponds etc) such that they'll hopefully nod off on the second flight too. If they don't, at least the second flight is a shorter leg. If you can fly Singapore air, the staff are also fantastic with children, and there is a good selection of childrens entertainment.

check this site for etihad reviews. http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/etihad.htm

You can also search for other airlines on that site. (do check which class the reviews are talking about, as many airlines get good reviews in first, but atrocious in economy).

With an 18month old, I'd be trying to fly via Singapore, and personally I'd be going for the night flight. They'd be staying up late to board the plane, so be tired enough to go to sleep on the first leg. Then in Singapore there is plenty to keep them occupied /tire them out again (swimming pool, butterfly gardens, other gardens, fish ponds etc) such that they'll hopefully nod off on the second flight too. If they don't, at least the second flight is a shorter leg. If you can fly Singapore air, the staff are also fantastic with children, and there is a good selection of childrens entertainment.

Thanks for the advice. I flew with Singapore Airlines before and found the service excellent. Having never flown that distance with a toddler I'll take your comments on board (excuse the pun!)

Guest Revs30
Hope so, we are on the night flight with a 2 year old and a baby.

Booked in on a flight at 10pm myself here, we have nearly a 4 year old and nearly a 2 year. Fingers crossed we can keep them up and they will sleep the 13hrs to Singapore. They normally have 12-13 hrs sleep anyway :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jacqui70

Hi Folks

I have flown with many of the airlines mentioned over the last 19yrs while here in Scotland and with varying amount of kids at different ages.

Personally Emirates wins hands down for me if you are travelling with kids. Flying from Glasgow to Dubai to Singapore onto Melbourne is broken up nicely with each leg being 6-7hrs. Entertainment service etc exceptional..

Next would have to be Singapore/Malaysian both equally good and exceptional service only downer we have to travel to Heathrow for connection.

Would not fly with Qantasor British airlinespersonally as their service leaves alot to be desired and I personally felt that I was doing them a favour flying with them!!!

Have been looking for prices lately as we are hoping to go back to Oz for good in November and as we are a big family (5 adult fares i child) Malaysian looks cheapest but Because of Emirates service I am being pulled towards them and will hopefully be able to use my skywards points that I have accumulated from last year

Guest Revs30

Have to say that I have got a 10pm flight with Singapore Airlines and is ideal as can keep kids up hopefully (nearly a 4 and nearly a 2 year old). They always have 12 hours sleep so will probably kip all the way through first flight and just have a 6 hour to deal with!

We always fly Emirates as they leave from Gatwick, and it is so much easier for us - as we can get there in 20 mins on the train - so we don't worry about parking or taxis.

We have used them about five times now - never had a problem. Everything is perfect pretty much perfect. The only slight issue we had was they tend to put a lot of cheese in the kids meals - and my middle child is non dairy. But we swapped the next leg to a fruit platter and he was fine. Also sometimes their arrival and departure times can be inconvienient.

When one of my kids threw up as we were taxing for takeoff, they were so calm, reasuring and professional. They stripped the seat in no time, disinfected and had the place spotless in less than a minute.

Singapour and Malaysian are also good. Don't like BA, Quantas - nothing bad but nothing special -and Air NZ were just plain rude.

Have to say that I have got a 10pm flight with Singapore Airlines and is ideal as can keep kids up hopefully (nearly a 4 and nearly a 2 year old). They always have 12 hours sleep so will probably kip all the way through first flight and just have a 6 hour to deal with!

We always get the night flight to Aus from London. Last time our son was 22 months and on the first leg flying at 10pm he slept for 8.5 hours! Result. Then we had 4 hours on the ground in Singapore and then back for the last leg which he slept for 3.5 hours of (as his body clock it was early evening so bedtime).

They may not sleep for 12 hours (lights go on for breakfast and lots of people moving round etc after about 8-9 hours) but I'd expect a fair chunk from them.

Last trip was with BA and Qantas. BA leg was fine, I never have a problem with them. They've always been really helpful. Qantas isn't as good as it was back a decade ago, at least to me. But it was bearable for a 7.5 hour flight.

Next time we'll fly Singapore. Always liked them in the past.

Guest guest36187

Can I suggest looking at going the other way too? Via The States?

We came (6 years ago) with Air New Zealand and it was the best flights ever. We did London - LA (you have to get off and go through immigration), LA - Auckland adn then Auckland to Brissie. Left 1430 on the MOnday UK time and landed 1030 on the wednesday Oz time. Non Stop. Tiring but comfy, good food, excellent service! Couldnt fault it. No idea what their baggage allowance is now but we got 64kg each! We were allowed 32kg per bag each and allowed 2 bags each. That was standard allowance.

Always worth considering

Can I suggest looking at going the other way too? Via The States?

We did look into it once but it seemed such a long winded way to get there :unsure: Plus the whole US immigration thing put me off. I object to their gathering of so much info when flying in their airpsace and being subject to immigration. Its something like 28 actual hours flying plus time on the ground in LA and Auckland.

I know our last trip from UK to Adelaide was 24.5 hours actual flight time with 3.5 hours on the ground in Singapore where we didn't have to worry about immigration and had the amazing Changi airport facilities to make use of.

Guest guest36187

We had an hour and half in LA where we did immigration and had a coffee. Then 3 in Auckland so we showered and changed tehre ready for Brissie as we were landing in Feb! Hot Summer!!!

Air NZ baggage lists now as

Long-haul international travel

Economy 1 piece, max weight 23kg (50 lbs)

Premium Economy* 2 pieces, max weight 23kg (50 lbs) per piece

Business* 3 pieces, max weight 23kg (50 lbs) per piece

Gold Elite / Gold / Star Gold and Koru Club Members** 1 additional piece per person, max 23kg (max 3 pieces)

Guest trophy
Hi!

Our Visa is meant to be being granted early April so we are looking for flights in July, I've not flown Singapore and am terrified of flying..... people sound quite happy with them :-)

We flew Etihad last time to Oz.

Thai Airways is coming up as the cheapest at the moment when we do a search, anyone flown them before?

Thanks

Amy :eek::eek:

We have flown with most of the majors, you have to becareful as some of the cheaper flights have long stop over times, we have found Malaysian the best value for money Singapore are the best for service, food, IFE etc. Emeraites OK.

Guest hector vector
Hi,

Need some help, my other half and me are really finding it difficult to make a decision and pick an airline to fly to oz in November for our reckie...its driving us crazy :wacko:

Looked at a few airlines and read some horrible things about poor service and being crammed in like sardines with bum numbing seats!!...any my hubby hates flying, could it be any worse!!!

Any one have any advice and reccomendations....any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Steph

IMO

British Airways: Rude and uncomfortable. I wouldn't have minded half as much if the hostesses smiled just once during the flight. I vowed never to fly with them again after the flight.

Quantas: good service but pricey. Jolly trolley dolleys made the flight a pleasure.

Malaysian: cheap but not so cheerful. The planes decor looked as if it needed a spruce up.

Singapore: affordable and good service. My only real complaint was that all the in flight entertainment had malay subtitles. Although what did I expect?!!:wacko:

hope this helps

I have always found emirates brilliant service and to be honest the flight times for us are superb.. obviously we are only flying to perth but total fly time including 1 stop is less than 20 hours. I have found the seats comfy.. food and IFE top notch. Our baggage allowance is 30kg each but with an added 10kg per person from company who are paying the bill. 40 kg is enough we figure per person. We fly at the end of the month so are getting very very excited

Archived