Flight tips

Bee Jay

Hi

We are travelling to Oz in April with Singapore air - myself, my hubby and our 10 year old son. This is a major trip for us as we are going to be validating our visas! Only problem is we are not frequent flyers so I am starting to panic a bit about such a long flight - any tips would be very welcome. Also, I am a larger lady (both in height and width!) - does anybody know what the leg room on Singapore air is like - not sure whether to try to upgrade?

Many thanks

Bev

Singapore is one of the better airlines when it comes to seat width and legroom, but obviously they are still economy seats...

Tips for flying:

1) by all means enjoy a glass of wine, but make sure you also drink what feels like ridiculous amounts of water. If you manage to go an entire flight without going to the loo or only going once then you've severely dehydrated yourself.

2) don't wear contact lenses, they will dry out. take a little bottle of eye drops, and lipbalm onto the flight, and moisturiser if you get dry skin.

3) forgot fashion, wear comfortable clothes. I usually travel in tracksuit trousers, t-shirt and a hoodie. jeans are not the most comfortable to attempt to sleep in. Also take a jacket that is soft so you can use it as pillow. I find the neck pillow aren't quite enough to be comfortable.

4) I make a little flight pack that I take out of my handluggage to keep with me, so I don't need to keep getting in and out of the overhead lockers. mine usually contains: warm socks (take shoes off as soon as you get on the flight and put socks on. more comfortable, and warmer.), eye-drops, lip-balm, glasses case, book (if I'm in the middle of one, otherwise the in flight entertainment is usually plenty), headphones with two prong adapter (the ones they provide are crap), pen (for filling out arrivals forms), toothbrush/paste, hairbrush, deodorant.

5) in singapore, change into a clean pair of undies, socks and t-shirt (pack these in your hand-luggage). you will feel so much better for it. If you have three hours or more in transit, go to terminal 1 and make use of the roof-top swimming pool (pack swimming costume and plastic bag in your hand-luggage). it's outdoors in beautifully humid air that helps to rehydrate you.

Guest gail2010

Yeah take plenty of your sons fav things, when we flew over my 11year old was ill with a scottish cold so thankfully me being prepared I had calpol and ibuprofen to see him through the flight! Make sure you are comfy take some face cream to apply I find my skin drys on long flights and apply every hour. take a pillow and blanket so you can get comfy!! Its better to worry as you normally find it goes better. If your son has a psp or nintendo make sure they are fully charged take the charger in your bag though as depending where your stop is you can plug in and recharge during connection time.

Best of luck!

singapore has plugs in the seats. can't remember what type they take though.

another thing, make sure you're sitting relaxed and facing forward at take-off, landing and during turbulence, especially if any of you have a history of back/neck pain. if you're sat twisted, the little jolts/incresed g-forces can give you a crick in the neck/spine.

Oh, and before you leave, put your ticket print-outs, visa print-outs, and passports together. Decide where they are going to live, and make sure you ALWAYS put them back in that place. (I use the back pocket of my handbag). There's nothing worse than doing the frantic pocket/bag check dance.

Guest china

HEHE! The pocket dance, I am definitely that person - now I don't carry important things, always give them back to OH ;) He is the sensible one.

Hi Bee Jay, I am also quite big (but not very tall) and have never felt uncomfortable on Singapore. We managed to get seats upstairs in economy on the A380 the last time we went but I should imagine you have to book early, same for extra legroom seats. If you booked online you could always have a look to see what is still available on your flights in the seatplan section. The 3`s and 4`s are downstairs and 2`s and 4`s upstairs.

I think a business class trip from UK to Aus is around £4,500 each (ouch!) so we certainly wont be upgrading on our next trip (unless we win the lottery!)

I`m sure you will be comfy and like RockDr said, have a swim in T1 or if you have a longer lay over, book a room in the transit hotel in T3. You can book in 6 hour blocks there.

Happy travelling! Val

Guest Spindrifter
Hi

We are travelling to Oz in April with Singapore air - myself, my hubby and our 10 year old son. This is a major trip for us as we are going to be validating our visas! Only problem is we are not frequent flyers so I am starting to panic a bit about such a long flight - any tips would be very welcome. Also, I am a larger lady (both in height and width!) - does anybody know what the leg room on Singapore air is like - not sure whether to try to upgrade?

Many thanks

Bev

Hi There

As there three of you try and reserve or request a window seat(s) - these seats are in threes so you can all sit together. Plus one seat will be on the aisle so getting in and out of your seats for the loo or to stretch your legs will be easier than clambering over or asking people to move. With a young one it's fun to look out of the window and easier for them to find a comfy position to have a kip. As mentioned - loose clothing is a must (forget the glamour or being chic), Drink as much fluid as possible (water at ambient temperature is best for thirst quenching). Great tip mentioned to keep documents, tickets, passports in a dedicated easy to reach place. Prepare to be uncomfortable at some point during the flight - get up and have a stroll up the aisle when this happens.

Set your watch to the time at your destination as soon as you begin your flight. One last tip - If it's daylight at your destination, try to avoid sleeping on the plane. If it's night time at your destination when you're on the plane, try to sleep. Above all enjoy the experience. Hope this helps a bit and Bon Voyage.

David

YES...Don't sit at the door seat....The line up for the toilet is horrible ..people standing over you and standing on your feet!!! I'm going to buy my own jet! Oh and don't use the outside toilets unless you have a coat...lost my umbrella last time!:mad:

We are flying with SA on 3rd APril from LHR, just wondered what date you are?

We went to MElbourne and NZ in 2009 and the best advice I had was bringing a change of clothes, (tracky bottoms) toothbrush and toothpaste,(i prefer my own as I'm a bit obsessed with my teeth :no:)deodorant and a flannel. After 15 hours or so i really felt so much better just changing and having a freshen up.

My OH was adamant he would stay in his jeans the whole way, so i put a pair of his comfy trousers in my own hand luggage without him knowing and when I pulled them out 15 hours into the flight he was soooo glad. I definitely had a good gloat on that one :cute:

The other thing i always take is a big fluffy fleecy blanket which is far superior to the crummy pillows they give you. Trying to rest you head on one of those is a challenge!:nah:

You can also have a shower at Singapore airport, it is cheap and well worth it. They provide soap,towels and driers. You can also rent a bed for a few hours if you need to sleep.

I agree. Showers are a must!!

In my opinion, top travel tips would be:

1. Have a shower during your fuel stop

2. Cotton, cotton - nothing but cotton.

3. Roll-on powder scented deodorant.

4. A good unscented all in one moisturiser.

5. NO makeup!! You want to be able to splash your face with water every time you go to the toilet and then refresh with moisturiser. I think its safe to say that noone else in economy will care if your wearing no makeup.

But, when it comes to business class, there is no comparison. You would be 150 more times comfortable regardless of your size if you were in BC. You get to sleep lying down in there! :twitcy:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived