skills assessment before visa application?

Yorkiesx5

Hello everyone,

Sorry but I have yet another question and hope someone could take the time to help me out. We are waiting until 1st July to lodge a 175 application because it seems we will have enough points without SS under the new points test. We are keen to have as much in place as possible before then and need to know if we should do the skills assessment BEFORE July or at the time of applying? I guess the SOL could change before then an we might find ICT Business Analyst is no longer on the list? We are also thinking of taking the English test whilst waiting but we need a score of 8 for Superior English and are not sure if that is even set up yet. If anyone has any experience or advice which might help us to know what steps we should be taking now whilst waiting for July to save time later we would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Yorkiesx5:unsure:

Hi, It is entirely up to yourselves what you are willing to do, we are in the process of doing everything we can before the dreaded 1/7/11, and the order we were told to do it was, skills assessment first, and due to my hubby's job he has to sit the IELTS which is not until April, then the SS and next is the VISA, your are lucky enough to apply for the 175 but not heard if the job list will change or not. There is so much to do and have in place it is possibly best to get organised just now even though you don't want to apply until July. Hope this helps you

Hi Yorkies. It's all about waiting! I agree with Helena, get your skills assessment under your belt and book up your IELTS - you will need both of them to apply for the SS if you need it - and if you don't - well, you have everything in place to apply for the 175 on 1 July. I would also get my documents copied and certified, make certain my passport has at least 9 months on it and so on. If it turns out that you don't have enough points for the 175 you will then have everything in place to apply for SS for the extra points. To be honest - I wouldn't be waiting for 1 July just in case the lists changed and my occupation wasn't on it any more, but that's just my cynical view :wink: Good luck anyway.

Even if you are going to wait until 1st July do the skill assessment and the IELTS now because you won't be able to apply on the 1st July without them (not if you need the IELTS points).

IELTS isn't changing (nothing needs to be set up) it always has been marked out of 9 it's just that 7 used to be the most that was ever asked for. There are four sections to the exam. If you need an 8 in every section you might need more than one attempt (I know because I only got 9, 9, 7.5, 8 but I only sat it the once and hadn't sat an exam in years so I'm sure it's possible to improve with practice) so don't wait until the last minute. There are two versions of the IELTS - although the first two papers are the same for both - general and academic. I'm told the academic IELTS is harder than the general IELTS (at least that's what people who have had trouble getting a 7 in the academic IELTS say) so just take the general unless you need the academic (e.g. if you're a nurse).

hi i wouldn't risk waiting either, we are in a panick at the moment just trying to get funds together to allow agent to get ball rolling as im scared my hubby's job wont be on list come july. good luck

jx

Guest Ketan

I think the IELTS test only last two years....so if your application takes longer than 2 years you will have to resit the test...thats what an agent recommended to me....as i know have to wait until July 1st now as i wont get my skills assessed in time.

Many thanks to all of you for replying, very helpful indeed. I suppose we are dragging our feet over the Skills Assessment because it doesn't look straight forward as my husband's Degree is not in his chosen occupation (but that is where his recent experience is so we have to go down that route)

Many thanks again

Archived