Which shipping company - Poll

Which shipping company did you use?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which shipping company did you use?

• Anglo Pacific
    • Crown Relo
    • White & Company
    • Doree Bonner
    • Pickfords
    • John Mason
    • PSS International Removals
    • Moving Australia
    • Overs International
    • Other - Please post in thread with name

JM seem to be on the ball,, can i / we ask on the £1500 .,.,., how much was that for? Boxes,?, container?.,., or an itinery on items wishing to ship over.

I have items i wish to take.,., but not to the scale that warrants a container etc....

magicooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hi. The quote was based on the items we wanted to ship (so basically a list). They do seem good and got us a quote within 3 hrs.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JM have also quoted me £300 less than the next closest quote and between £700-£1000 for the rest. Is it worth haggling down JM's price and how would you go about it if you've nothing to compete with ????

I tried haggling but they said it was there best quote and if I got a cheaper one to send it to them....oh well it was worth a try:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Still undecided on who to use, but John Mason are looking like the favourites.

Need advice on rental places around Hobart, but not central. Wondered if any one had any recommendations for a rural type area about 50km out of Hobart.

Any advice gratefully received.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

After weighing up the quotes and the service offered, as well as web reviews and other recommendations we decided to use Crown relo for a move from Broxburn (west of Edinburgh) to Sydney. They quoted around 4100 pounds for sole use of a 20ft container and estimated around 2/3 full, with an 8 - 10- week delivery time. In the end we filled every cubic inch, partly down to inefficient packing of the container but mainly due to deciding at the last minute to take some extra stuff. This equated to a well equipped 3 bed house I would say, 3 settees, 2 beds and quite a few pieces of furniture and boxes of 'stuff'.

We used an independent marine transit insurance provider (http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/) who were much cheaper than any of the movers at 1.2% of the cargo value.

Our container is still on board the ship docked in Italy, but so far all seems to be going fairly smoothly.

I'll reserve judgement on whether or not we got good value out of the 5K pounds we have parted with until we have unpacked. You never know the value or otherwise of insurance till you need it, but looks like a cheaper buy for very good cover. Crown staff in UK were very helpful, courteous and respectful of our stuff, pointing out some very old damage which we were aware of. They used all new good quality packing materials and certainly did not skimp. Each of our pieces of furniture was fully wrapped and had custom-made cardboard packaging fabricated all aorund it. Hopefully the move into our new unit in Sydney will be just as smooth.

One big differentiator between Anglo-Pacific, Pickfords and Crown relo was the move in to our unit in Aus. All the others had quoted a price based on not going above the first floor, with additional costs to come if they had to go any higher. We had clearly told all of them that we lived on the fifth floor and Crown were the only company offering a fully inclusive quote covering moving in up to the sixth floor of a building.

Hope this is useful, I'll update with an outcome when our container arrives, currently forecast 14th March, and then the dreaded customs clearance after that.

BR

BobN

I've got a bit of experience at companies promising (and charging for) air-freight and then delivering 1 out of 3 boxes a week later than you expect them.

Still waiting for the other 2 - but they are insured at least :)

Hi

Who did you go to to find out about sending your stuff by air? What are the costs like?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

We used Robinsons in January, the ship docked in Sydney at the weekend. Robinsons admin was very good, particularly Matt Bristow who continues to be helpful. The packing team were also very good. We will wait to see how good Grace are here.

Chris & Austin

We used Robinsons in January, the ship docked in Sydney at the weekend. Robinsons admin was very good, particularly Matt Bristow who continues to be helpful. The packing team were also very good. We will wait to see how good Grace are here.

Chris & Austin

Fantastic to hear. Especially as its a big decision on who to use. I agree with Matt, so far he's been brilliant!

I'll have to keep an eye out to see how the rest of the removals go for you.

AC

• 1 month later...

How close are the quotes... for example - i have just used the excellent John Mason Calculator and is as itemised below... but how close is the shipping cost figure to the quoted figure??

House Contents [£1004]Kids Bedroom .1 (Toys),

1 (Files / Paperwork),

3 (Ornaments),

1 (Tools),

1 (Bicycles),

1 (CDs),

1 (China / Glassware),

1 (Toy Chest),

1 (Records and Tapes),

1 (Vacuum Cleaner), 1 (Kitchenware)

Kitchen .1 (Ironing Board),

1 (Kitchen Table),

1 (Microwave),

4 (Kitchen Chair),

1 (Washing Machine)

Lounge .

1 (Stereo),

1 (TV Cabinet),

1 (DVD Player / Recorder),

1 (TV)

Master Bedroom .

1 (Wardrobe),

2 (Bedside Cabinet),

1 (Chest of Drawers)

• 9 months later...

anyone had any recent quotes i see this thread is almost a yr old now wondered if the quotes had gone up much,who was the recommended shipper,etc etcbe good to get some fresh quotes,feedback and recent folk on here thats just shipped etc

Hi, we used John Mason. We found them very reasonable price wise for a shared container. We are still waiting for our stuff to arrive, but we are being given constant updates on the progress. They were amazingly efficient when they came to pack our stuff, also informative about what not to bother bringing. Hope this helps. I suppose it depends on the service you are looking for and how much stuff you want to move.

Aly

• 2 weeks later...

PSS, sole use of smallest container (1000cf), leaving next week greater London to Brisbane £3700 including insurance, disinfectant spray, indemity etc.

There will be Aussie customs and clearing changes circa$500 on the other side.

Crown were second choice, but their smallest sole container is 1200cf, so costs an extra £1000, but no charges for customs and clearing at the other end.

Hope that helps

Archived