Spiders

gilliantay

Have just killed a Huntsman using a whole tin of Surface Spray (only thing I could find in the cupboard).

Am now suffering Respiratory Distress - can't bloody breathe !!! But I know I can move quickly when need be...............

At least the thing is dead now - hope no more of them think they are coming in to join me tonight.....

Ah, the joys of Australia

Guest guest37336
Is a Huntsman poisonous?

Hi Gill.

Can give a fairly nasty bite, but no worse than a bee/wasp sting, it's just the size that frightens many. 99 times out of a 100 they will keep their distance, and they DO a great job of cleaning up the flies etc.

Guest AnubisUK

Yeah they move like greased lightning! Tried to catch one in a tupperware box that had decided to lodge in my room in Sydney, only for it to race behind the cupboard, never to be seen again!!

Guest Coxy04

Ha Ha....remember when lived in Queensland...had spent hours in picnic shelter, just packing up and looked up to see huge huntsman, looking down at our BBQ! Lol....we sure did move fast....but in its defence it had just been sat there minding its own business.....just dirty great bloody thing that scared us!

Those of you not got to Oz yet....don't fret or be freaked out.....they are about, but generally aren't just sitting about waiting to EAT you! Just need to be aware of precautions to take.

Guest gill1362

Oh God I feel sick now - I was only worrying about the poisonous spiders never thought of the non poisonous ones biting too. I'm still in Ireland but the whole spider thing is freaking me out. Even if I did manage to kill it how would I bring myself to get near enough to pick it up to throw out!!!

Huntsman spiders only bite if you really annoy them..pulling legs etc..They normally run and hide. so don't worry!!!

Guest Coxy04

Keep it in perspective is the answer. Everyone will have their horror tales.......

for me, i lived in wooden, old apartment, at O'Reily's guest house, in Queensland, which is on the edge of rainforest, surrounded by rainforest. It would have been prime land for snakes and spiders, and i only saw one massive (harmless) snake in 3 years living there. There was the huntsman sighting, and a couple of boys warned my young son about two tiny wispy spiders in a web on a climbing frame, but that was my own experience. I hate spiders and they freak me out, but i have to keep reminding myself of the minimal sightings i had to keep it inperspective.

You do get used to checking shoes and things, but thats the same.......even if you went to a lovely hot country elsewhere.....you'd check your shoes for scorpions! Keep it real. And be informed is all i can suggest.

Coxy04

We love O'Reily's!!! great hikes but your right your going to come across a few spiders there!! Only ever saw one snake which my partner almost trod on!! You can't take these poms anywhere!!:wink:

Rach

Oh God I feel sick now - I was only worrying about the poisonous spiders never thought of the non poisonous ones biting too. I'm still in Ireland but the whole spider thing is freaking me out. Even if I did manage to kill it how would I bring myself to get near enough to pick it up to throw out!!!

I know how you feel, I am to freaking out about the spiders, the snakes I am not as worried about YET but oh by god spiders scare the sh@t out of me. Dont have anything like that here in Ireland but I have noticed last summer I am sure they were getting bigger.... :arghh:

Guest Coxy04

Ah...nice to hear about O'reilly's again....we lived and worked there for nearly 2 years, great family they are, it's changed so much now though....that was 1990, and it's gone all up market now.

We used to live in the apartment under the coffee shop, bet even that's gone now....Happy Days.

Hi Coxy

Yep it's changed loads!! It's become a little too commercial for it's own good, they've added a few nice chalets now. But although great still, not the same as when I was a kid going there.

We were there last in 2007 during the drought so it was nice to get some cool air at nights at a little rain the the morning...sunrise there is magical!!!

Rach

Guest gill1362

I'm guessing I'll need to learn to identify these spiders if I can bear to even look at pictures of them!!

Thanks for that Bobj

Oi, just to let you know...I have seen virtually every one of those spiders in my time in Australia (nearly 50 years). They are NOT as dangerous as some people make out, rest assured that you will be alright.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest gill1362

Seriously Bobj even looking at the pics of them is causing me to breathe a bit faster and feel really hot but I'm going to have to get over it. Would u be likely to put your hand into your sock drawer or wardrobe and find a spider or am I being melodramatic?

Seriously Bobj even looking at the pics of them is causing me to breathe a bit faster and feel really hot but I'm going to have to get over it. Would u be likely to put your hand into your sock drawer or wardrobe and find a spider or am I being melodramatic?

The chances are...NO. And before anyone shouts me down, just a few sprays of insect spray along the skirting boards will suffice to keep them at bay.

Cheers, Bobj,

I see considerably less spiders here than when we were in the U.K.

in 12 months we've had about 3-4 normal sized spiders in the house only a couple of Huntsmen outside (they just seem to sit watching the world go by) and redbacks like the inside of the garage door for some reason so I just spray it every couple of months, I like to think along the lines that although they're not poisonous British spiders can bite & how many people do you know that have been bitten by one?

Have just killed a Huntsman using a whole tin of Surface Spray (only thing I could find in the cupboard).

Am now suffering Respiratory Distress - can't bloody breathe !!! But I know I can move quickly when need be...............

At least the thing is dead now - hope no more of them think they are coming in to join me tonight.....

Ah, the joys of Australia

i guess u never knew that killing the huntsman is "10 years bad luck" shame on u, put them outside !

I find spiders like clutter, and sometimes can 'hide' in clothes thrown on the floor (i.e. my kids' rooms) and piles of laundry etc. Also sometimes the daddy long legs ones can lay eggs in curtains, so I pull them back every so often and run the vacuum along if I see one spinning a web. Normally they are pretty harmless, but my friend was bitten by a whitetail (probably came in because of all the rain recently down here) in her bed, and as she was prone to allergies etc, she did get a large rash and peeling skin, but it cleared up without a problem in a week.

Archived