Help - Step kids mother is dying - can we add them onto our visa as dependants?

Guest Ari3139

Guest Ari3139

Hi, Please can someone help. My husbands kids (from a past relationship) mother has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. They are 18 & 23. We have been state sponsored and have just been requested to go for the medicals. Is there anyway we can add them to the visa application as dependants so they can come with us or is it too late.

We have not mentioned them coming with us yet as we did not want to get their hopes up. As you can imagine it is a terrible time for us all but I could really do with knowing what the options are - many thanks

Guest tiddywiddy

Poor lady, that is terrible. And her kids aswell, no-one deserves to go like that.

It may well be worth asking a migration expert & see what they have to say.

Guest cricketbackinengland
Hi, Please can someone help. My husbands kids (from a past relationship) mother has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. They are 18 & 23. We have been state sponsored and have just been requested to go for the medicals. Is there anyway we can add them to the visa application as dependants so they can come with us or is it too late.

We have not mentioned them coming with us yet as we did not want to get their hopes up. As you can imagine it is a terrible time for us all but I could really do with knowing what the options are - many thanks

You might have to go first and get over there then the kids apply separately under their own application. If they can show that they have lost their mother, have no family ties here and that their family is over there in Oz, they will stand a good chance. Speak to a migration officer first but unless things have changed, I'm sure this is how it works. You have to prove that all the family ties and interests exist more in Australia than they do here.

In any case, sounds awful but won't you have to delay going until their mum is no longer here. Do feel for you. Stay calm, I'm sure you will find the kids won't be turned down but go through all the correct chanels as per usual.

You might have to go first and get over there then the kids apply separately under their own application. If they can show that they have lost their mother, have no family ties here and that their family is over there in Oz, they will stand a good chance. Speak to a migration officer first but unless things have changed, I'm sure this is how it works. You have to prove that all the family ties and interests exist more in Australia than they do here.

In any case, sounds awful but won't you have to delay going until their mum is no longer here. Do feel for you. Stay calm, I'm sure you will find the kids won't be turned down but go through all the correct chanels as per usual.

I don't agree with this well meaning advice. I think the worst thing you could do is get your own application and then try and get them over separately.

That is because there is no such visa for adult chidren that have lost one parent and have the other in Australia. And DIAC will not agree that they have no family ties in the UK, because they have each other.

The only basis on which you could bring them over once you have your own visa is on child visas and they have to be dependent for you to do this ... and if they are dependent then they should be on your visa application. trying to go back and rectify that will be a whole lot harder than including them in the first place.

We need to know if they are in education, even if just the 18 year old. Then at least that one can easily go on the application and the other is then a last remaining relative.

You should get professional advice on this one ASAP it would be very easy to mess it up. It will be worth paying for.

As Pumpkin said best to get at least the younger one added to your application if possible. Without knowing all the ins and outs and if any other family ties exist no one can advise.

Consult an experienced registered migration agent for a opinion.

Guest Ari3139

Hi All, thanks for the advice and caring words. A terrible time for us all. The boy (18) is in full time education at the moment and wants to come with us. They do not get on at all and so we are worried that the boy will have no support when & if we go.

Will deffinately seek proffessional advice but once our visas are granted can he be added to ours after as I think we should have them in the next month which does not give us long to get things moving.

Once again thank you all for your help.

Hi All, thanks for the advice and caring words. A terrible time for us all. The boy (18) is in full time education at the moment and wants to come with us. They do not get on at all and so we are worried that the boy will have no support when & if we go.

Will deffinately seek proffessional advice but once our visas are granted can he be added to ours after as I think we should have them in the next month which does not give us long to get things moving.

Once again thank you all for your help.

Very risky approach as explained earlier. Is he on your application at the moment as a non migrating dependent? If not you are making it even more difficult for yourself.

It would take no time to add someone to the application now.

The concept of adding somebody to a visa later does not work. Whilst family members can be on the same visa application, every individual has their own visa so if he does not get a visa when you do, then you will need to find a new visa that he is eligible for and apply for that.

Guest Ari3139

Thanks Pumpkin, he is on as a none dependant when we had to list all the relatives.

Will call the CO I think and fill out a change form just to be on the safe side.

Thanks Pumpkin, he is on as a none dependant when we had to list all the relatives.

Will call the CO I think and fill out a change form just to be on the safe side.

Yes I think so.

To go from non dependent to trying to get him a child visa would be tough indeed.

Archived