Brisbane - cost of living Feb 2011

Onyaweb

Here are my estimates, any comments would be most welcome...

EXPENSES $ PER MONTH

Rent $2,166.67

Water rates $70.00

Water usage $20.83

Contents insurance $30.00

Electricity $100.00

Gas $47.92

Phone $120.83

Broadband $100.00

TOTAL $2,656.25

Ancillaries $71.00

Hospital cover $105.00

Other GP expenses $60.00

Flights to europe $833.33

TOTAL $1069.33

Schooling for 2 kids $41.67

Other costs per child $66.00

TOTAL $107.67

Car insurance $37.50

annual license $40.83

Services 6 months $20.83

Repairs $33.33

Fuel $187.50

TOTAL $320.00

Food for family of 5 $1,083.33

Trainfare $208.00

GRAND TOTAL $5444.58

:wub:

EXPENSES $ PER MONTH

Rent $2,166.67

Water rates $70.00

Water usage $20.83

Electricity $100.00

Gas $47.92

Phone $120.83

Broadband $100.00

TOTAL $2,656.25

Ancillaries $71.00

Hospital cover $105.00

Other GP expenses $60.00

TOTAL $1069.33

TOTAL $107.67

Car insurance $37.50

annual license $40.83

Services 6 months $20.83

Repairs $33.33

Fuel $187.50

TOTAL $320.00

Trainfare $208.00

GRAND TOTAL $5444.58

Where do you live in brisbane? what is that in sterling?

Sorry my post was not very clear. I am moving to Brisbane from the UK in July and these are my estimates based on research from other posts and from browsing the web. Clearly a fair bit of guess work involved! I was hoping to get some comments so that I can revise the estimates up or down.

Sorry my post was not very clear. I am moving to Brisbane from the UK in July and these are my estimates based on research from other posts and from browsing the web. Clearly a fair bit of guess work involved! I was hoping to get some comments so that I can revise the estimates up or down.

Oh i see we are still in the UK too where abouts in brisbane are you going?

Will ur life be the same over there , less or more expensive every month?

:rolleyes:

Guest chris955

EXPENSES $ PER MONTH

Rent $2,166.67 Seems a lot, depending on area of course.

Water rates $70.00 We pay around $80-90 a month.

Water usage $20.83 Around $30

Contents insurance $30.00 Around $45

Electricity $100.00 $150

Gas $47.92 Don't have gas

Phone $120.83 Phone/broadband $99

Broadband $100.00

TOTAL $2,656.25

Ancillaries $71.00

Hospital cover $105.00

Other GP expenses $60.00

TOTAL $1069.33

TOTAL $107.67

Car insurance $37.50 2 cars, about $90.

annual license $40.83

Services 6 months $20.83

Repairs $33.33

Fuel $187.50

TOTAL $320.00

Trainfare $208.00

GRAND TOTAL $5444.58

Many of the figures are very much dependant on where you live, size of family, type of car, house, eating habits etc.

Guest Guest31881

EXPENSES $ PER MONTH

Rent $2,166.67 Depends where you live

Water rates $70.00 If renting water is usually paid by landlord, you may pay for excess use

Water usage $20.83 See Above

Electricity $100.00

Gas $47.92

Phone $120.83

Broadband $100.00 I have a phone/broadband package $99

TOTAL $2,656.25

Ancillaries $71.00

Hospital cover $105.00

Other GP expenses $60.00

TOTAL $1069.33

TOTAL $107.67

Car insurance $37.50

annual license $40.83 if this is the rego/car tax its about $700 a year

Services 6 months $20.83

Repairs $33.33

Fuel $187.50

TOTAL $320.00

Trainfare $208.00

GRAND TOTAL $5444.58

I have added my comments to your post above, you will find different members have different ideas and experiances

Thanks for the comments! Difficult to judge if we will be better or worse off. My Oz salary will be about equivalent to the UK on the exchange rate. I think that might be a little low, so I think Brisbane will seem a bit more expensive. However, I'm really hoping we as a family will enjoy more time outdoors. Personally I'm hoping that with a better commute I will have more time with my family, because at the moment I'm doing a 1 1/2 hour journey each way to work. I think we will be able to rent a slightly bigger place with a budget of $2200 per month. Here in the UK we live in a 3 bed end of terrace house (240k) just outside the M25. Also the Oz job has much more potential for career progression.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Here are our outgoings. We have been living in Brisbane for 6 months. Family of 5.

Monthly outgoings

Rent $2,033

Contents ins $25

Internet/phone/tv $115

Electricity $160 - running pool and occasional air con.

Water $87

Car tax (rego) $65

Car insurance $32

Car servicing $42

Phones $50

Life insurance $45

Total $2,774

Lots of places in QLD don't use gas.

Not 100% sure on the water yet- if you rent you only pay supply and usage -no sewerage charges (which is about $800 a year extra).

Our local state primary has better figures than the local privates, so our kids go there- its' about $200 per child per year.

We have 1 car.

We don't have private health cover at present (not completely essential, the state cover is more or less comparable to the NHS for basics)

Internet/phone/tv gives us the equivalent of freesat, unlimited calls to UK and broadband with 25GB month cap.

I have been living off savings waiting for professional registration to come through and we can manage with $500 a week for food, entertainment, fuel and incidental spending - lol just about.

The Oz equivalent of Family Allowance will probably give you more than the UK equivalent.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

Okay so I've been living in Brisbane for a year now. My outgoings are more like $6900 a month and I can tell you that on my salary it is a real struggle. I love the place, but the financial strain has really put a tarnish on things now. At a minimum I think you need $110k here for a family of 4. I would say 1.8-2.0 times the UK salary to have an equivalent disposable income, thats moving from just outside London.

Okay so I've been living in Brisbane for a year now. My outgoings are more like $6900 a month and I can tell you that on my salary it is a real struggle. I love the place, but the financial strain has really put a tarnish on things now. At a minimum I think you need $110k here for a family of 4. I would say 1.8-2.0 times the UK salary to have an equivalent disposable income, thats moving from just outside London.

when you say 1.8-2.0 times due you mean after conversion or just the difference between the raw numbers?

Depends on so many factors.

I can't speak for Brisneyland, but in Perth the rental varies greatly depending on how far from the beach you are. You can rent 3 bed house for as little as $300/week on a decent plot of land and only 20-30 minutes drive from the city.

Our outgoings are about $4k a month for a family of four in a decent house in a nice suburb near the beach. We do a lot of outdoor activities which are cheap - off-roading, biking, camping, beaching, etc etc. Perth is far better than Brisbane though.

My salary is over twice what I can earn in the UK, so that's another factor. That depends on what you do for a living.

I'd second this - family of four in Brisbane we need an income of about $110-120K to get by. This is without saving for holidays (we can't afford them) and living pretty frugally (markets for fruit & veg, aldi for food etc). $2k rental per month will get you a small 3 bedroomed house quite close to the city (inner 10K) - you won't get a pool unless you're prepared to go a way out, or up the rent a bit. manage your expectations in terms of quality of rentals here!

Healthcare is a huge cost, with mandatory health insurance and out of pocket expenses for dental, medical etc this can add up. Because I had a minor operation one year, my husband needed crowns and my daughter needed four wisdom teeth extracted, I'd estimate our healthcare costs to be in the region of about $6-8K after tax annually. Been here 5 years and cost of living soaring!

Our outgoings are about $4k a month for a family of four in a decent house in a nice suburb near the beach. We do a lot of outdoor activities which are cheap - off-roading, biking, camping, beaching, etc etc. Perth is far better than Brisbane though.....

We don't get charged for those either you know :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to move to Bris next year this post is pretty helpful, my income likely to be 85 k single earner in family of four (2 toddlers), the averages I have taken allowing about 2k for rent/mortgage come up about 5400 per month would be interested in knowing a ball park figure some of u guys are earning to survive as my guesstimates seem about middle of the road? :-)

Trying to move to Bris next year this post is pretty helpful, my income likely to be 85 k single earner in family of four (2 toddlers), the averages I have taken allowing about 2k for rent/mortgage come up about 5400 per month would be interested in knowing a ball park figure some of u guys are earning to survive as my guesstimates seem about middle of the road? :-)

My hubby earns just under that. It just about pays for rent ($470 a week - very poor quality 3 bedder but close to the city), food, & basics. Run two cars which is a luxury. As another poster said, I reckon $110-120K is a 'head above water' salary in Brissie, but you won't be flush. There's absolutely no way we could afford holidays/flights to Uk on hubbie's income. I work on and off when I can find it and when I do our combined income is around the $150K - 200K mark. Save a lot on that kind of salary, but don't live the 'Australian dream' by any means.....

Thanks CP, disconcerting that £75k 'gets ya by' and although I will have an immediately payable uk work related pension which would take me up to about 106AUD gross. Had hoped to be saving this and if a good quality of life needs 150 then it's beyond us with only one income for another 5 years (kids)! :-(

Family of 6 here and do NOT earn over $110k per year with overtime and bonuses included.

We eat 90 % organic and run two cars and are currently paying eldest Uni fees too.

We rent a beautiful large 4 bed, 3 bath home with a spa in a lovely area and get by fine.

We used to rent another lovely 4 bed home with a pool nearby for less than 2k a mth.

Hubby works in the city, but we live 16 K away.

My operation and hopsital care cost nothing, doctors/x rays have been free for the entire family and dental is Ok if you have extras cover, which is pretty reasonable for families. Although I have had extractions and not huge dental work done yet...

I'd second this - family of four in Brisbane we need an income of about $110-120K to get by. This is without saving for holidays (we can't afford them) and living pretty frugally (markets for fruit & veg, aldi for food etc). $2k rental per month will get you a small 3 bedroomed house quite close to the city (inner 10K) - you won't get a pool unless you're prepared to go a way out, or up the rent a bit. manage your expectations in terms of quality of rentals here!

Healthcare is a huge cost, with mandatory health insurance and out of pocket expenses for dental, medical etc this can add up. Because I had a minor operation one year, my husband needed crowns and my daughter needed four wisdom teeth extracted, I'd estimate our healthcare costs to be in the region of about $6-8K after tax annually. Been here 5 years and cost of living soaring!

Well my Salary in Brisneyland is just over 2 times what I was getting back home after conversion I have a pretty good lifestyle, however I am 23 and do not have a family to look after,

Love it :)

Family of 6 here and do NOT earn over $110k per year with overtime and bonuses included.

We eat 90 % organic and run two cars and are currently paying eldest Uni fees too.

We rent a beautiful large 4 bed, 3 bath home with a spa in a lovely area and get by fine.

We used to rent another lovely 4 bed home with a pool nearby for less than 2k a mth.

Hubby works in the city, but we live 16 K away.

My operation and hopsital care cost nothing, doctors/x rays have been free for the entire family and dental is Ok if you have extras cover, which is pretty reasonable for families. Although I have had extractions and not huge dental work done yet...

Fairystar,

Can a ask which area you live in and have lived in?

We are a family of 4 looking to move over to Brisbane next summer and our monthly renting budget would be around $2k.

Thanks

I don't agree at all. We are a family of 4 and earn WAY less than that. We also get no help from the government as we are on a 457. We don't manage to save a lot but have a bit put back from emergencies.

Why is health insurance mandatory? Are you not a UK citizen? We haven't had to pay for anything since we got here 7 months ago - kids jabs etc covered by Medicare. Skin checks were bulk-billed. Not been to the dentist yet mind!

Everyone has different ideas of what they need to get by. If we were on $110-$120k we would be managing to save a lot of money but I know people who wouldn't but that's because of different spending habits and expectations.

ETA: This week's activities have included a morning at the beach, going to the park, going to the Queensland Museum, having a friend around for a cuppa, going to a neighbour's house for a drink and a swim in the pool. This weekend we will probably go to the beach and bushwalking. The cost of all of that is basically nothing except petrol.

Guest jak2503

where do i start. Been here 3.5 years, im earning around 60 k per year, manage just fine, only run 1 car, save money, go camping, night out with the boys once a month, the odd meal out, i dont see 6900 a month, even manage to let the wife buy some clothes now and again, i think its a time and lifestyle thing, shop around ect, anyways just my thoughts.

Archived