Set up cost = high / Living costs = equal..???

Jibbah24

Very reassured to know you're not planning on pinching my worldly posessions.

We're a family of 6 in NSW in quite a big 4 bedroom house, it has aircon but we rarely use it and we don't have a pool. During the day my husband is often at home but don't think he uses too much electricity :biggrin:.

We won't be getting gas bills as there's no mains supply to where we live and we've had the same gas cylinder since we moved in, i think it costs $35 to replace them.

Our home insurance is $43.37 per month and car insuance for a 7 seater 4x4 fully comp is $68.35. We could have taken out a slightly cheaper policy but opted for one that covers windscreen damage and hire car if needed.

Hope this helps x

Oh, that is all so helpful :biggrin: Thank you so much, another bunch of figures to put into my ready reckoner, the best thing being you are a HUGE family compared to us in a HUGE house compared to what we will be looking for (its just me and the OH, so will be looking for a one or two bed to start with, possibly even an apartment just to get us set up and familar with areas etc), so I can hope your figures are toppy for us, but that's always a nice thing imho.

Thank you thank you thank you....:)

Guest Pempoul
Just to give people a general idea we've just received our first electricity bill that covers the period 14/12/10 to 07/02/11 and it's $194.08. I'm not sure how this compares to the Uk as i never took much notice.

I am currently living in France, my last electricity bill for December to February was

678 euros!!!!!. Last year I had one for 1028 euros for the same period.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I find in the UK my food bill is one third of what it was in Oz.

Once you start telling tall tales like this no one believes anything you say. :no:

Guest cricketbackinengland

Once you start telling tall tales like this no one believes anything you say. :no:

Again, you're still in England aren't you? You've never lived in OZ. When you do, come back and I'll happily compare. In the meantime you're not in a position to dispute my comments about my food bill because so far you're still living in the UK.

Again, you're still in England aren't you? You've never lived in OZ. When you do, come back and I'll happily compare. In the meantime you're not in a position to dispute my comments about my food bill because so far you're still living in the UK.

LoLza :biglaugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Internet its amazing.:laugh::yes:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Ever heard of google, its a modern day phenomenom, where you can find out the costs of things in Australia and compare them with the uk and it isn't 3 times cheaper here in the uk, its just the same, make sure you tell no more tall tales in the future, because if you do you will be rediculed, like the woman who told the tall tale about the $4 lemon, she had to leave PIO.

Guest cricketbackinengland
Ever heard of google, its a modern day phenomenom, where you can find out the costs of things in Australia and compare them with the uk and it isn't 3 times cheaper here in the uk, its just the same, make sure you tell no more tall tales in the future, because if you do you will be rediculed, like the woman who told the tall tale about the $4 lemon, she had to leave PIO.

Gosh, the poor girl. She must have been devastated.:biglaugh:

Guest chris955

So again we have someone being called a liar because you don't agree with what they say. If someone said their food bill here was a third of what it was in the UK you would be pressing the Thanks button.

Ropey - come one - be realistic it cost $3 not $4. Damn...there goes my New Year's resolution...

Guest The Ropey HOFF
So again we have someone being called a liar because you don't agree with what they say. If someone said their food bill here was a third of what it was in the UK you would be pressing the Thanks button.

Theres a difference between a lie and a tall tale, you of all people should know this, 3 times dearer than Australia, really, even you don't believe that, are you saying she is lying, me i think its a tall tale.

Guest chris955

Are you in a position to say that this member is not paying a 2rd less for his groceries ?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Ropey - come one - be realistic it cost $3 not $4. Damn...there goes my New Year's resolution...

I never knew the tale about the $4 lemon until right at the end, i kept seeing reference to it and then she was gone, but not forgotten, PIO can be cruel sometimes and i think some need to take a long hard look at themselves and............... pat themselves on the back. lol

Guest chris955

What EXACTLY do you mean by this ?

Theres a difference between a lie and a tall tale, you of all people should know this, 3 times dearer than Australia, really, even you don't believe that, are you saying she is lying, me i think its a tall tale.

$ 4 for a lemon is an old story.:daydreaming:

I 've come across a post today saying that an economy air fare with Emirates from Aus to Uk is $13,000 per person!!!:shocked::biglaugh:

Guest siamsusie

anyway back to the cost of living Jimbo....

We spend $150 pw on our groceries, this includes all meat, fish, vegetables not shopping at the big 2. This is for a family of 2 with frequent visitors that need feeding. I personally Jimbo dont think thats bad... what do you equate this to 60 GBP?

It also includes items on specials like coffee etc.

Exclusive of grog naturally:wink:

Susie x

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Are you in a position to say that this member is not paying a 2rd less for his groceries ?

YES i am have you ever heard of google, maybe they could put their grocery bill on and prove that food is 3 times dearer. :wink:

Again groceries are a bit dearer in Australia, but you will be earning over 30% more wages when you get there.

I think it all depends where you are coming from in the UK to a certain extent. Not being funny but house prices in the UK is all to do with location. We moved from the South East - one of the most expensive parts of the UK and find that generally the cost of living is similar overall. Food is about the same but instead of just shopping at one shop we have to go to two Aldi and Woolies to get a food bill for about $150 - $200. We live an hour outside of Sydney and are looking to pay $450000 for a house - Could you really get a 4 bed house with 3 receptions and huge garden in a great area for this price an hour outside of London? I think not!

Petrol is much cheaper here, water and electric have been the same but we don"t have a huge gas bill on top as we would in the UK. Phone and broadband we have found to be crazily expensive - no free call allowances or cheap deals. MOst of our goods we bought when we got here and found them to be much cheaper - again if you shop around and do your homework. We bought from the Good Guys and got a package deal for a whole lot of stuff - TV, hoover, iron etc.

Generally I think it is pretty similar but you do have to shop around and do deals to get the best!!

Guest chris955

Absolutely agree, location is everything. In todays paper they had a section showing median house prices for of SE Queensland. Prices varied from the very low 200k's up to well over a million. Location is everything. The median for our area is a tad under 1/2 million $ which is nice but 10 minutes drive away it is just over 200k.

We actually can buy a 4 bed house with big garden in the SW of England where we are looking at for the value of our house so it works out well.

Archived