Mobile Phone Contracts

foy465

we are finally going to be landing in Brisbane 01/'03/11. One question I have, is that both the wife and I will be needing new mobile phones and would both love to have a iphone , does any one know how easy it would be to get a contract iphone plan for us both ? and how soon could we apply for a contract ? could we apply the same day as we arrive ? I have a job, so can prove that I will have income.

many thanks in advance :biggrin:

Telstra required my Australian driving licence and credit card when I applied for a contract with them, they did an online credit check. I guess as new arrivals you won't have any history so may find it hard. Perhaps consider cheap pay as you go phones for a couple of months while you build up some history.

• 2 months later...
Guest LondonTom
Hi, my hubby arrived just before Christmas and we went just after to get him an iPhone 4 they did the online credit check and it came back no because of having no history, once we produced the job offer and proof of income they gave him the phone straight away.

Good luck

Dawn x

Hi Dawn,

What network was this?

Cheers

Tom

• 1 month later...
Guest Slainte
Hi, my hubby arrived just before Christmas and we went just after to get him an iPhone 4 they did the online credit check and it came back no because of having no history, once we produced the job offer and proof of income they gave him the phone straight away.

Good luck

Dawn x

How much does it cost to get the iphone4 or is it part of your deal when signing up?

How much does it cost to get the iphone4 or is it part of your deal when signing up?

Depends on the contract, they get your money one way or another.

Cheap contract - they add on a monthly amount to pay for the phone

Pricey contract - phone may be included free

I took out a Virginmobile contract with free iphone 'cos I opted for the top-end contract (usage over-estimated, but that's another story! Turns out I don't use anywhere near what I'm entitled to under my contract terms)

I needed proof of address, credit check and the usual varieties of identity confirmation.

Guest destinationoz

We will be taking our iPhone with us - can we still get a contract easily - when we have built up a credit check - and keep our phone. We have had them unlocked already.

We will be taking our iPhone with us - can we still get a contract easily - when we have built up a credit check - and keep our phone. We have had them unlocked already.

You should be able to get a SIM-only contract without too much hassle. If there's hassle, you can pick up a Pay As You Go SIM in loads of places - much like the UK.

From my experience though, don't expect their customer service (any of the Oz networks) to be any good.

Also, if you have an iTunes account for your iPhone, might be worth checking their T&C's for if you move. If you tell iTunes Store you're in Australia, it won't quit bugging you until you've got an Australian credit card hooked up to it. I don't know how that might affect any purchased apps/music if/when you sync the iPhone.

It took us 6 months to get a contract phone. We had to use pay as you go to start as we had no credit history. Just be careful as the customer service for mobile phone providers is awful. Everytime I try and phone vodafone I am on hold for at least 30 mins and usually 45 mins. Whe I do get to talk to someone they don't know the answer to my questions - tryed to get some clarification about my blackberry and spoke to 5 different people all telling me different things!

You may consider buying your iPhone outright from the Apple store, they then come unlocked and you can insert any sim you like (regardless of country - this is also handy if you go abroad). Then get a prepaid sim of your liking and voila, you're done. No credit checks needed, all sorted 15 mins after you walk out of the phone shop.

In the UK the 16GB iPhone costs around £600, so if it's in your budget, I'd say it's definitely worth considering. You can also buy it in Australia (I believe consumer electronics are slightly cheaper here), but then you'll have to locate the store first.

Guest Tillyloola

I know this thread is a few days old but it has to be mentioned. NOBODY BUY AN I PHONE 4 RIGHT NOW.

The new i-phone 5 is scheduled for release in September, so if you buy right now, would will be left with a very expensive last modal phone very quickly. If you get it on contract, you will have a very expensive contract with an out of date phone very shortly.

If you didn't like the new phone, you would be able to buy the 4 at a drastically reduced price (its what happened to the predecer)

Just to add to that, Apple haven't announced any scheduled date for release of a new iPhone, nor that the iPhone 4 will then be available cheaper.

It's widely expected a new model may be released in September, but as usual with Apple, they don't confirm upcoming releases.

You pays your money, you takes your chance.

• 1 month later...

Are there any of the providers that are easier to deal with, and quicker to get a phone from. We'll arrive in Brisbane early December, and I'm hoping to be able to get a new phone within a few days. Gonna need it, as I want to use the phone as my Sat Nav.

gonna have a temporary address for the first month or so, is this going to casue a issue?

We took (unlocked) Android handsets with us from the UK, bought pay as you go SIM cards and use them as sat navs with no issue (just needed some ID I think, temp address not a problem). Getting a contract might be harder initially though if that's what you want to do.

To be honest, it's the first time I've not had a mobile on contract for 20 odd years and it's no real hassle. And the price is about the same per month, but I'm now not locked to any particular handset.

I know this thread is a few days old but it has to be mentioned. NOBODY BUY AN I PHONE 4 RIGHT NOW.

The new i-phone 5 is scheduled for release in September, so if you buy right now, would will be left with a very expensive last modal phone very quickly. If you get it on contract, you will have a very expensive contract with an out of date phone very shortly.

If you didn't like the new phone, you would be able to buy the 4 at a drastically reduced price (its what happened to the predecer)

Just to say that it's inconclusive how much better the I5 is going to be to the I4 and as another poster mentioned the September date is a rumour and nothing more.

I have a question for those who took iphones out to Aus that were unblocked. Bearing in mind the I4 has a micro-sim as opposed to the normal sims we all used to be used to. Was it fairly simple to get a pay as you go micro-sim? Also how many pay as you go deals offer download allowance and all that melarky. As lets face it, unless you can use all the features of the iphone its no better than a Nokia if all you can do is make phone calls.

In our case, the sim got cut to the right size (ie micro sim) by the guy in the telstra shop. We also got one of these " micro-sim card cutters" ourselves too, just in case we needed to do it ourselves. (the micro sim is simply a normal sim with just less plastic around the electronic bit)

Guest destinationoz

Never heard of those - where do you buy micro sim card cutters - we have I4 so may one??

Archived