Just back from 5 weeks in UK

Guest Julz

Hello All,

Well I've just got back from spending 5 fantastic weeks in the UK and I now know for sure its where I want to be.

The flight was long and difficult alone with 3 young children (2 with motion sickness) but worth it. I could have kissed the ground staff at Edinburgh Airport as we left the plane, it was such a great feeling that we were home. Seeing my family for the first time in 2 years was emotional and watching my children playing with their cousins and grandparents made me wonder why we ever moved to Oz in the first place, if I could turn the clock back I would.

Lots of things have changed, but I found most of my friends still working, buying and selling houses and people were so friendly. I could not get over how cheap Tesco was and gobsmacked at how cheap brand new cars were. The scenery was beautiful, especially when it was covered in snow, which the children loved to play in and never complained of being cold once. I even had to visit the local doctors with my daughter and found them so friendly and chatty compared to the experience we have had here with doctors.

Unfortunately the 5 weeks ended too soon and we are home already and hating it even more here than before we left. To make things worse British Airways lost one of our bags between Edinburgh and Singapore and has yet to be "located", and I doubt we will ever see it again. Rips my heart out as it was the only suitcase which contained my daughters christmas presents from my family.

All in all there was no doom and gloom and would move back to Scotland tomorrow if we could, however have another 18 months of my husbands contract to fulfill. Until that time I can only dream of the life we will have with our family.

Julie

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, what a great post!

We are also going back to visit for 5 weeks in June, and I cannot wait, for us it will be also the first time we will see some of our family and friends in two years and my husbands' parents, it will be the first time to see their grandaughter.

I am already sure that I will not want to come back either, and will feel exactly the same way as you did. The trip will definitely decide for us, but I already know we will also move back.

Glad you had a great time, just keep thinking, living here is not forever and soon it will not just be a dream.

Good to hear you had a grand time and have sorted out where you want to be.

Coming back to the a*se end of the world can be difficult and even now, about 8 weeks in I am still struggling and it gets worse every time I have to do it. Still, next visit in Aug/Sep so better start booking things then things will look brighter. With only 18 months to go, can I suggest a calendar and a big red pen counting down the days until you get your life back!

Guest peacock
Good to hear you had a grand time and have sorted out where you want to be.

Coming back to the a*se end of the world can be difficult and even now, about 8 weeks in I am still struggling and it gets worse every time I have to do it. Still, next visit in Aug/Sep so better start booking things then things will look brighter. With only 18 months to go, can I suggest a calendar and a big red pen counting down the days until you get your life back!

None of us know the longitivity of life, if you hate it here that much, why waste precious time, go back sooner rather than waste the next 18 months of your life !

Guest famousfive

What a great opportunity to be able to go for such a long visit and spend time with everyone.A chance to see how the kids fit in and handle things too.18mths probably seems like forever but now that the decision has been made you can relax a little and enjoy it more.All the best.

None of us know the longitivity of life, if you hate it here that much, why waste precious time, go back sooner rather than waste the next 18 months of your life !

OFFS, I'm married to an Australian who wont leave and I wont leave him. If anything happened to him I wouldnt be waiting 18 months that's for sure - 18 hours would probably be about enough. It isnt me that is going back in 18 months anyway, I'm here for life with just a few trips out to the real world every now and again. Waste of a life - yep, probably, but it is the least worst option facing me at the moment.

Guest annemarie and brian

it is a lovely post so glad you have come to a desicion and the time will fly by and before you know it you will be here but enjoy your time there and good luck its the best desicion i have made in along time but least we will not have what ifs anymore.

Julz ,Darwin must be the worst place to start a new life coming from the uk climate ...no wonder u hated it ....anyone would .......why not try another state with good climates ....dont give in that easy ...the uk may seem great for 5 weeks but reality will set in and u will be back in the same /worse situation........take a chance ......!

Easier said that done peacock, my husband works for defence, he's currently in Iraq and will be for 8 months, we are not in a position financially to pay ourselves out of the contract, I would rather keep our savings for our new life back home. We are actually moving to Brisbane when he returns in May but I know that wont change my mind about living so far away from home.

Guest peacock
Easier said that done peacock, my husband works for defence, he's currently in Iraq and will be for 8 months, we are not in a position financially to pay ourselves out of the contract, I would rather keep our savings for our new life back home. We are actually moving to Brisbane when he returns in May but I know that wont change my mind about living so far away from home.

I hope he keeps safe, and keep converting them $$$$ to pounds, goodluck

Hello All,

Well I've just got back from spending 5 fantastic weeks in the UK and I now know for sure its where I want to be.

The flight was long and difficult alone with 3 young children (2 with motion sickness) but worth it. I could have kissed the ground staff at Edinburgh Airport as we left the plane, it was such a great feeling that we were home. Seeing my family for the first time in 2 years was emotional and watching my children playing with their cousins and grandparents made me wonder why we ever moved to Oz in the first place, if I could turn the clock back I would.

Lots of things have changed, but I found most of my friends still working, buying and selling houses and people were so friendly. I could not get over how cheap Tesco was and gobsmacked at how cheap brand new cars were. The scenery was beautiful, especially when it was covered in snow, which the children loved to play in and never complained of being cold once. I even had to visit the local doctors with my daughter and found them so friendly and chatty compared to the experience we have had here with doctors.

Unfortunately the 5 weeks ended too soon and we are home already and hating it even more here than before we left. To make things worse British Airways lost one of our bags between Edinburgh and Singapore and has yet to be "located", and I doubt we will ever see it again. Rips my heart out as it was the only suitcase which contained my daughters christmas presents from my family.

All in all there was no doom and gloom and would move back to Scotland tomorrow if we could, however have another 18 months of my husbands contract to fulfill. Until that time I can only dream of the life we will have with our family.

Julie

I have noticed how bad the UK press and media are, I know thye UK is coming out of recession and tough times are ahead but make everything out to be reall doom and gloom and glass half empty wheras the aussie press is so upbeat and glass half full.

Think you should ask a persons circimstances before wading in to be honest.

Hi Julz. Good to hear you had a fun packed holiday back in the uk! Funny how kids never complain of the cold when its been snowing lol,

Not so good about about the missing case, Really hope it turns up soon, always the way being the one you want most!

As for the 18 month wait, not sure i can help there, i have no patience what so ever, My bad habit is list making, i have a real talent for making lists of lists lol,

Really hoping things will move along for you quickly and not drag too much, im sure once your o/h is back home with you time will fly by,

Wishing you all the very best :wubclub:

Julz ,Darwin must be the worst place to start a new life coming from the uk climate ...no wonder u hated it ....anyone would .......why not try another state with good climates ....dont give in that easy ...the uk may seem great for 5 weeks but reality will set in and u will be back in the same /worse situation........take a chance ......!

I think from her post that she loves the UK a lot more than Oz to be honest mate, some love Oz some love the UK some love both, that is people mate, and in my opinion after living in both there is not that much to choice from either, both have things going for them and against them.:biggrin:

Guest guest37336

Hi Julz.

I can empathise with your OP completely. I love Australia and if you inserted the word Australia into your post you could well be speaking for me.

But having said that I completely understand your mindset, entirley. You also say that you are going to Brisbane later, and you also say that you will still want to return to the UK, and if that is the case, then fair play to you.

I think it was Nick who said Darwin in his opinion is not that great. And he also says if this is your first experience of Australia then it may not come as a surprise that you want to go 'home'. Lets face it, there are many Aussies who don't like Darwin. It's a bit like arriving in India and going straight in Mumbai, it's not the true Australia to some.

Darwin, (whilst I love it) can be to the uninitiated one hell of a shock, humidity, wildlife, cost of living, and many that have gone 'Troppo':goofy:. As I said I love the place, but even I can see that at times it could be a bit much for the 'first timer'.

I am NOT saying that Brisbane will tick any boxes, (if any) but you may find it more to your taste, and get to enjoy yourself a little more. Of course, there is always the chance that you will feel the same as you do now, if that is the case, good luck to you my friend, and I wish you all the luck in the world in your move back to the UK.

Though at times I view the UK with many a negative remark, at the end of the day it is STILL one hell of a country and a place that makes many people happy, so the very best of luck to you.

All I'm saying to do is to say that Darwin may not be your cup of tea, and no one could blame you for that, but if at all possible give the rest of Australia a shot anyway. Whichever path you choose to take I am sure you will be happy and contented.

Cheers Tony.

Hi all,

I have been reading posts every day for a few weeks since joining. The positive and the negative ones to get a flavour of other peoples decision making, and there is always the fear of making the move and realising 'I have made the wrong decision'

Everyhing in the UK seems cheap. But it bloody has to be. Petrol costs £1.35 a litre, energy prices are through the roof. Tax on everything is going up. University fees will soon rocket. I work for the NHS and it will cease to exist in it's current form within 2

years. Everyone is fed up. No ones job is safe. Houses, cars and other commodities are not selling...... No one is going outside the Uk for a holiday. The country is absolutely flat

broke.... and i suspect another recession is coming.

Everyone is working just to keep themselves out of debt.

The UK is over crowded, has too many illegal immigrants, manufactures nothing and has a financial centre without credibility. There is very little to be cheery about....hence I am looking to move to Oz. A growing country is one that offers opportunity.

If not it will be one hell of a holiday....you only live once.

(trying hard to secure work, I tick all the boxes so hoping to make the move soon)

Hi all,

I have been reading posts every day for a few weeks since joining. The positive and the negative ones to get a flavour of other peoples decision making, and there is always the fear of making the move and realising 'I have made the wrong decision'

Everyhing in the UK seems cheap. But it bloody has to be. Petrol costs £1.35 a litre, energy prices are through the roof. Tax on everything is going up. University fees will soon rocket. I work for the NHS and it will cease to exist in it's current form within 2

years. Everyone is fed up. No ones job is safe. Houses, cars and other commodities are not selling...... No one is going outside the Uk for a holiday. The country is absolutely flat

broke.... and i suspect another recession is coming.

Everyone is working just to keep themselves out of debt.

The UK is over crowded, has too many illegal immigrants, manufactures nothing and has a financial centre without credibility. There is very little to be cheery about....hence I am looking to move to Oz. A growing country is one that offers opportunity.

If not it will be one hell of a holiday....you only live once.

(trying hard to secure work, I tick all the boxes so hoping to make the move soon)

Chin up mate :cool:

Hi

We have been back in the uk for 4 years and we really loved our life in Oz but returned for family reasons. Even though there are lots of things we miss about Perth I have never regretted coming back here. Having our children being near their relatives especially there grandparents will always be so important no amount of sunshine makes up for that. I know there are people struggling here but it is not as depressing as some would make you think. I work for the nhs and have just got promotion by 2 grades and there are jobs here in Scotland. Petrol is expensive but other things are cheap. There are pros and cons to living in both places.

Hi

We have been back in the uk for 4 years and we really loved our life in Oz but returned for family reasons. Even though there are lots of things we miss about Perth I have never regretted coming back here. Having our children being near their relatives especially there grandparents will always be so important no amount of sunshine makes up for that. I know there are people struggling here but it is not as depressing as some would make you think. I work for the nhs and have just got promotion by 2 grades and there are jobs here in Scotland. Petrol is expensive but other things are cheap. There are pros and cons to living in both places.

Spot on, we talk our way into doom and gloom in the UK where in Oz they are all see the bright side, it is not as bad as our media make out.

(Don't know why that posted twice.)

I agree about the family thing, but as someone who grew up in South Africa, my parents had regrets, but when I look back on my childhood, it was great.

I think parents and their kids view things a little differently.

(Don't know why that posted twice.)

I agree about the family thing, but as someone who grew up in South Africa, my parents had regrets, but when I look back on my childhood, it was great.

I think parents and their kids view things a little differently.

Where in South Africa have family in Jo'berg and cape town, shame it has become such a dangerous Country since the power-shift.

Grew up in Germaston near Jo'berg. Finished school at 1pm and in the pool by 1:20. Shielded from all the politics at the time, but yes I'd be tempted to go back if it wasn't for the fact you need a small arms stash to protect yourself, family and property.

Grew up in Germaston near Jo'berg. Finished school at 1pm and in the pool by 1:20. Shielded from all the politics at the time, but yes I'd be tempted to go back if it wasn't for the fact you need a small arms stash to protect yourself, family and property.

My dad lived in Hillbrow in the 70s, he said the place was buzzing and it was a fantastic place full of young people who just wated to party and enjoy themseleve, now it is the murder capital of the world and all the high rise buildings are trashed, real shame.

Archived