Just back from 5 weeks in UK

Guest Julz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Spot on.

Mrs I

BTW, I agree with you, it is becoming a joke, but the end of the day those few only making a fool of themselves, everybody can see it, harping about the same old ****.

Just try to ignore it and let the mods deal with it.

Hello All,

Well I've just got back from spending 5 fantastic weeks in the UK and I now know for sure its where I want to be.

The flight was long and difficult alone with 3 young children (2 with motion sickness) but worth it. I could have kissed the ground staff at Edinburgh Airport as we left the plane, it was such a great feeling that we were home. Seeing my family for the first time in 2 years was emotional and watching my children playing with their cousins and grandparents made me wonder why we ever moved to Oz in the first place, if I could turn the clock back I would.

Lots of things have changed, but I found most of my friends still working, buying and selling houses and people were so friendly. I could not get over how cheap Tesco was and gobsmacked at how cheap brand new cars were. The scenery was beautiful, especially when it was covered in snow, which the children loved to play in and never complained of being cold once. I even had to visit the local doctors with my daughter and found them so friendly and chatty compared to the experience we have had here with doctors.

Unfortunately the 5 weeks ended too soon and we are home already and hating it even more here than before we left. To make things worse British Airways lost one of our bags between Edinburgh and Singapore and has yet to be "located", and I doubt we will ever see it again. Rips my heart out as it was the only suitcase which contained my daughters christmas presents from my family.

All in all there was no doom and gloom and would move back to Scotland tomorrow if we could, however have another 18 months of my husbands contract to fulfill. Until that time I can only dream of the life we will have with our family.

Julie

Hi Julie

It is only natural to get homesick and it affects everyone differently. It amazes me that some people think they won't miss anything in the UK, after a few months, you will start remembering things; however small they may be; that gives you a feeling that you have lost something that you just can't replace wherever you are in the world. Like frosty or those lovely misty mornings, or those few days of the year when there is actually a good covering of snow. The UK is lovely, well I have a terrific life here and will miss it terribly, but to me it is the adventure and you should feel proud that you have made the move and experienced another country. You see, not many would make the move and some do not have the opportunity. Life is full of experiences to be had and you have made your mark.

Good for you that you wish to return home for family connections. This is my only worry of leaving the grandparents. I guess we could stay in the UK for them and let our dream go, who knows how long they have left or, we could make the move like you to at least give it ago. Nothing lasts forever....

Enjoy the UK if you make it back and it is after all, where our roots are and should be respected for that.

All the best.

I totally agree with previous post. I went back to UK for 5 weeks in 2008 and couldn't settle when I got back to Oz (had been here 15 years and for the most part enjoyed it but had the odd day when I was homesick!). I made the decision to move back to UK and put things in motion - preparing house to sell, getting pets inoculations, and the subsequent 6 month wait once blood tests came back. I returned to UK, North Wales, in February last year and after the second month knew I had made a mistake of monumental proportions. I couldn't find a job - only temp work paying 6.50 per hour, perm work was rare and paid less than half what I was earning in Oz! Yes, the scenery was lovely, and May and June were nice too, it was great being close to my mother and brother, but then they had their own lives and the novelty of me being back soon wore off - but I was by that time eating into the equity I had made from the sale of my house in Oz. My dogs arrived and although my mum was more than happy to have them stay at her house - she changed her mind after a few weeks and I had to find a rental so that I could keep them. I paid 6 months rent in advance to secure a run down Victorian terrace costing 550 per month! What I should have done in hindsight was did an immediate about turn back to Oz once realised how bad the work situation was, but I thought I'd hang in there. I tried to get a refund of rent but estate agent said that the owner already had it and wouldn't give me any back - so I was stuck there until lease ran out in October - hating every minute of it. Once I got my deposit back from rental I booked a one way back to Oz and although I am totally skint now, my two dogs and cat are in kennels until I've saved up enough to bring them over and my furniture is in storage. But I found a job within a week of being back, I'm flatsharing now, not living in my own place which is hard. It's going to take time but I'm sure I'll get back on my feet again. One thing I am grateful for is that I now know absolutely where I want to be. I realise that Oz isn't for everyone and I was beginning to think it wasn't for me.... but now I know it is.

Hello All,

Well I've just got back from spending 5 fantastic weeks in the UK and I now know for sure its where I want to be.

The flight was long and difficult alone with 3 young children (2 with motion sickness) but worth it. I could have kissed the ground staff at Edinburgh Airport as we left the plane, it was such a great feeling that we were home. Seeing my family for the first time in 2 years was emotional and watching my children playing with their cousins and grandparents made me wonder why we ever moved to Oz in the first place, if I could turn the clock back I would.

Lots of things have changed, but I found most of my friends still working, buying and selling houses and people were so friendly. I could not get over how cheap Tesco was and gobsmacked at how cheap brand new cars were. The scenery was beautiful, especially when it was covered in snow, which the children loved to play in and never complained of being cold once. I even had to visit the local doctors with my daughter and found them so friendly and chatty compared to the experience we have had here with doctors.

Unfortunately the 5 weeks ended too soon and we are home already and hating it even more here than before we left. To make things worse British Airways lost one of our bags between Edinburgh and Singapore and has yet to be "located", and I doubt we will ever see it again. Rips my heart out as it was the only suitcase which contained my daughters christmas presents from my family.

All in all there was no doom and gloom and would move back to Scotland tomorrow if we could, however have another 18 months of my husbands contract to fulfill. Until that time I can only dream of the life we will have with our family.

Julie

I really do appreciate what you are feeling. My OH (an Aussie) always felt great arriving at Sydney Airport on holiday, and it was always gut wrenching for her to have to get back on the plane and come back to Edinburgh at the end of a few weeks break. I know, its the complete opposite in terms of geography, but quite possibly identical in terms of emotion.

The important point is that you find your way to what feels like home. For us, it is currently Sydney. My OH never disliked Edinburgh and Scotland, in fact, she had a fantastic time there, and frequently misses friends and family. But the pull of 'home' was eventually unbearable, which I guess is where you are at right now.

I hope it works out for you all.

To be fair to Australia as a (w)hole I just class Perth as being the arsehole of the world, it's just stuck over there miles from anywhere and honestly the last place I would live. The city is possibly a very nice place but no thanks. :biggrin:

I remember when Keating said that, how did he ever get voted in ? :laugh:

So you've never lived ther Chris?

and "stuck miles from anywhere" is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Guest chris955

No, never had any desire to.

It is certainly a bad thing for us. It is probably a lovely place but it holds no attraction for me.

So you've never lived ther Chris?

and "stuck miles from anywhere" is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Guest peacock
I totally agree with previous post. I went back to UK for 5 weeks in 2008 and couldn't settle when I got back to Oz (had been here 15 years and for the most part enjoyed it but had the odd day when I was homesick!). I made the decision to move back to UK and put things in motion - preparing house to sell, getting pets inoculations, and the subsequent 6 month wait once blood tests came back. I returned to UK, North Wales, in February last year and after the second month knew I had made a mistake of monumental proportions. I couldn't find a job - only temp work paying 6.50 per hour, perm work was rare and paid less than half what I was earning in Oz! Yes, the scenery was lovely, and May and June were nice too, it was great being close to my mother and brother, but then they had their own lives and the novelty of me being back soon wore off - but I was by that time eating into the equity I had made from the sale of my house in Oz. My dogs arrived and although my mum was more than happy to have them stay at her house - she changed her mind after a few weeks and I had to find a rental so that I could keep them. I paid 6 months rent in advance to secure a run down Victorian terrace costing 550 per month! What I should have done in hindsight was did an immediate about turn back to Oz once realised how bad the work situation was, but I thought I'd hang in there. I tried to get a refund of rent but estate agent said that the owner already had it and wouldn't give me any back - so I was stuck there until lease ran out in October - hating every minute of it. Once I got my deposit back from rental I booked a one way back to Oz and although I am totally skint now, my two dogs and cat are in kennels until I've saved up enough to bring them over and my furniture is in storage. But I found a job within a week of being back, I'm flatsharing now, not living in my own place which is hard. It's going to take time but I'm sure I'll get back on my feet again. One thing I am grateful for is that I now know absolutely where I want to be. I realise that Oz isn't for everyone and I was beginning to think it wasn't for me.... but now I know it is.

I have heard this story so many times, once youve lived in another country, its difficult to settle as your mind plays tricks, the grass is always greener etc, unffortunately it can cost alot of dosh till u make your mind up where is best for you and yours.

Archived