Behaviour in schools - Is it really that bad?

Lauren82

I'm obviously living in a parallel universe . I haven't come across anything like the behavioural problems that others have mentioned over many years in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Cheeky kids, lazy kids, yes, but none of the horror stories found here. Out of school hours maybe - during 'muck up' week sometimes but not in classrooms .I found the kids in Australia to have far more respect for teachers than their Britiish counterparts- London. Liverpool and Warwickshire areas being my experience with British schools

As my own experience was going to school was in the Liverpool area i definately knew one thing, i wanted my daughter to go to a school were the expectations where higher than the average, that is why we chose to pay for schooling, and so far is paying off greatly.

Now this may set many of you off. But this choice came from my own experience, to the reason i left the UK in the first place. My high school for the last year we studied " how to "sign on" The day we left school there was just myself and one other girl (who was going to work for her father) who had jobs to go to. Most did go on the dole and the others eventually found a course to do. Yops schemes back then. I left the UK very soon after, not saying that was the right choice but i did have a feeling there was more out there, so to speak. As of today, i have been lucky i still have no education (mainly because i avoid it) i know i have to do it some day! But i am still employed as a Finance Manager and love it. So my reason for choosing a school that we pay for, it so my daughter mixes with people who already in year 7 are talking about Uni and have no other expectations because its what there families have always done.

Now I know many of you will say, you can go to Uni from State School. Of course you can and many will. I was just willing to try that bit harder for her, and fortunately, so far, have been able to.

I also have never come accross the behaviour problems with my daughters friends who go to state schools for the record, they are equally lovely kids. I guess i just wanted to give her a opportunity i never had. Also, for the record i absolutely love Liverpool and miss it greatly, sometimes even think of moving back, but hubby and daughter are happy here.

Guest hewett3

Wow, I usually only go to the Parent Visa thread but with a year 5 student the bad behaviour comment caught my eye, I live in Adelaide and can honestly say I have not heard any stories such as have been described although i am sure there are some and certainly none of the 'street behaviour' described so please don't tale what you have heard as the 'norm'. Principals and senior leadership are the key factors to a good school we started in private school and switched to a great gov school as there seemed to be no difference in the education standards or the discipline areas. yes we do live in a 'nice' southern adelaide suburb but I know we had a few to choose from - my advice is visit the schools in the area you want to work in adn you will soon get a feel for the school - Good luck.

It would be interesting to hear from PIO whose kids are at school, and what their experiences have been thus far in Oz. I believe where ever you go there will be bad schools and good schools. I think the culture of kids today has changed, but then I think society/adults have perhaps let it change for the worse.

I grew up in South Africa, and completed most of my schooling at normal government schools, where you were taught to respect your teachers and elders. God forbid you were cheeky or disrespectful. You knew about it! Teachers were allowed to repremand you, and we had corporal punishment. I think it may have been done away with in recent years, but still to this day the teenagers I know back in SA are still very respectfull whether they come from a poor township school to the expensive private schools. I'd like to think my children one day will grow up to be like that, but whether that stem's from my future parenting and/or the influence of their teachers and peers I have yet to find out!

I've heard horror stories here in the UK from friends who have kids, and from friends who are teachers. I'm sure not all schools are like that here, and not all kids but from what I see when I go into town or catch a bus, the complete lack of respect that most teenagers show is hideous.

I have yet to start a family, but would like to hear from PIO who have kids of school age about their schools, friends, and teachers. Also what the sports facilities are like for kids at school, do most schools have swimming pools? And are kids encouraged to take at least 2 extramural sports in summer/winter?

Thanks in advance,

my kids go to a state school here in Perth and we could not be happier. They have amazing teachers, who care. Fabulous friends without issues and the parents could not be more supportive of the school, the teachers and the school community.... maybe we have been lucky but I am so glad my kids didnt continue their education in the UK (London). I had grave fears for their safety and the education system there. Here their school environment is relaxed, friendly, fun, supportive, sporty, team spirited. I cannot add anything else because I know I made the right move. Good luck and make your own judgements when you arrive, give it a go and try a few different schools before you become permanent would be my advice.

I think this thread shows, you don't have to move to the other side of the world for a good school. There are good and bad in both countries (just like everything else, why doesn't that surprise me?!!) it all depends on the school, their policies, area, your child and peers.

So back to the original question - do your homework! And good luck!

Guest Tim L10
I think this thread shows, you don't have to move to the other side of the world for a good school. There are good and bad in both countries (just like everything else, why doesn't that surprise me?!!) it all depends on the school, their policies, area, your child and peers.

So back to the original question - do your homework! And good luck!

Yeah I suppose its true.

I will be doing lots of research.

In the UK my last school was the best school ever, my current school is the worst, lack of jobs in the UK made me act in haste now I regret it.

Hopefully my next teaching post will be down under:biggrin:

Hopefully my next teaching post will be down under:biggrin:

Um, you have been reading the threads about just how hard it is to get a teaching job in Australia?

Jobs (well, permanent ones) are scarcer than hens' teeth unless you fancy a trip out to the boondocks to get some brownie points with the Education departments. Dont expect to walk into a super-dooper-you-beaut school in a desirable location unless you have a highly in demand skill set. Good luck!

Guest Tim L10
Um, you have been reading the threads about just how hard it is to get a teaching job in Australia?

Jobs (well, permanent ones) are scarcer than hens' teeth unless you fancy a trip out to the boondocks to get some brownie points with the Education departments. Dont expect to walk into a super-dooper-you-beaut school in a desirable location unless you have a highly in demand skill set. Good luck!

Thanks Chris and Quoll

Teaching IT is supposdely on the shortage in SA as it is a technology. I know I will proabably only get temp for a while but its better than no work as it is looking in the UK especially with this new baccalaureate been brought in this week.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
Seems that it can be pretty bad sometimes :eek:

Teachers wants cops, surveillance cameras in schools | Perth Now

I've lived in Perth for nearly 20 years and NEVER seen any school with barbed wire round the top of a brick wall.

I see the report in there mentions Kalgoorlie and we had a friends daughter go and try to teach there. She lasted about 3 months and nearly had a nervous breakdown. She was assaulted by a female student, a bit like the case on Perth now, had to go and see an aboriginal liaison officer and got told she would have to change her behaviour.

She has managed to get a job in a local school now and the difference in her is amazing. She had lost all confidence in herself, her ability to teach and kids in general. She had to be talked into applying for a teaching position by her parents as she thought she would have to give it up. Now she is enjoying teaching again.

I'm not going to waffle on about why, as this post would get deleted, but you can draw your own conclusions about school attendees.

Yes there are problems in certain schools but they are no worse than some areas of the UK.

Both my kids are schooled here and have turned out fine.

Archived