HELP!!! My fish had babies!!!

Rudi

Guest guest30038
Oh goodness!! OK, well I have put out a request on freecycle to see if someone has a tank! I will also investigate a net tomorrow

How about a large glass vase for now??? I don't want them eaten overnight!!

love

Rudi

x

That'll do if it's got a wide neck. A clean washing up bowl is better as the bigger the water surface area, the better. make sure it's filled with water from the tank

Just read your other response. Take the lid off ............the holes should be in the sides and it should be sat in the tank................no circulation in a small tub will see 'em off............that or my other suggestion such as a container with more water and bigger surface area.

kev

That'll do if it's got a wide neck. A clean washing up bowl is better as the bigger the water surface area, the better. make sure it's filled with water from the tank

Just read your other response. Take the lid off ............the holes should be in the sides and it should be sat in the tank................no circulation in a small tub will see 'em off............that or my other suggestion such as a container with more water and bigger surface area.

kev

It's quite a big container..........about the size of a rectangular fish tank without a filter - much bigger than a large vase anyway!!!! It would be a little bit bigger than this I think......http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/computer-fish-tank-12-13-06.jpg and a similar shape. Do you think that is ok? I have only put the lid on to keep the cats off!!

It's only got to last overnight........I'll get something better sorted tomorrow.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest30038
It's quite a big container..........about the size of a rectangular fish tank without a filter - much bigger than a large vase anyway!!!! It would be a little bit bigger than this I think......http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/computer-fish-tank-12-13-06.jpg and a similar shape. Do you think that is ok? I have only put the lid on to keep the cats off!!

It's only got to last overnight........I'll get something better sorted tomorrow.

Love

Rudi

x

yeah, that'll be fine. It's a pity you're not up my way as I've got 3 new holding nets that I'll never use. I always remove the parents to another tank.

kev

What do I do now?! I've had fish on and off over the years but never had babies before!!! We loaned our tank to school and we got stuck with the fish at the end of the year and now 2 fish has become 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are Molly fish apparently!

Love

Rudi

x

congratulations and no catherine no belated baby shower :biglaugh::fish:

What do I do now?! I've had fish on and off over the years but never had babies before!!! We loaned our tank to school and we got stuck with the fish at the end of the year and now 2 fish has become 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are Molly fish apparently!

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi, i havnt read any replies as yet but you need to get them in a hospital tank , a small floating plastic tank that will sit in your tank that you have now .......get the fry in it and give them some fry food asap , most will get eaten , mollies breed like rabbits so do guppies and platties ......................but would be nice to save a couple ......the hospital isnt much pound maybe a fiver or less............i use to have tropical fish for yrs from 2ft to 6 ft tanks , i do miss them ....but its eather Poms in Oz or Fish keeping..............? good luck :fish2:

kev

I'm sure tupperware has a life time guarantee, not too sure if holes in it can be explained!:fish: Keep us updated with the progress of the new arrivals.

Well I still have 11 little babies this morning and a friend is going to loan me another tank.......so they can come out of my tupperware box.....although I don't think it's going to keep things fresh anymore with holes in the lid :biggrin:

We bought some baby fish food - it's a liquid and they certainly seem to swarm around it when we put it into the tank, so I think they are eating!!

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Love

Rudi

x

Isn't it great being a parent...

HMMM, except that this makes me a great grandparent........the fish really belong to my daughter......so in theory the fish are my grandfish and their babies are my great grandfish :chatterbox:

Love

Rudi

x

HMMM, except that this makes me a great grandparent........the fish really belong to my daughter......so in theory the fish are my grandfish and their babies are my great grandfish :chatterbox:

Love

Rudi

x

Bet you're one of the youngest great grandparents ever :laugh:

OK - second tank borrowed and all set up, but it needs to settle a bit before I put the babies in! Will 24 hours be enough time before I put them in? Don't want to leave them in the tupperware any longer than I have to!!!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest30038
OK - second tank borrowed and all set up, but it needs to settle a bit before I put the babies in! Will 24 hours be enough time before I put them in? Don't want to leave them in the tupperware any longer than I have to!!!!!

Love

Rudi

x

Why does it need to settle? have you used water from the original tank? If so, they should be ok. If it's a bit cloudy, that won't harm the fish. The only harm would come from a change in PH or a large shift in temperature

kev

Why does it need to settle? have you used water from the original tank? If so, they should be ok. If it's a bit cloudy, that won't harm the fish. The only harm would come from a change in PH or a large shift in temperature

kev

Only some of the water is from the original tank - it's much bigger!!!!!! I could test the PH I guess!!! The temperature is probably similar.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest30038
Only some of the water is from the original tank - it's much bigger!!!!!! I could test the PH I guess!!! The temperature is probably similar.

Love

Rudi

x

That's OK as long as the new water is dechlorinated if it's tap. They up the chemicals during periods of heavy rain, lime in particular. The tap water over here is currently 7.6 which is ok for mollies as long as it's dechlorinated, as it should be for all fish.

kev

Rudi, you're going to be quite the fish whisperer after all this. Sad as it sounds, I'm going to have to check this thread every morning to see how the babies are getting on. Meanwhile, hopefully the original fish left in the main tank don't get any ideas of making any more babies.

Just as I am writing this my husband asks whether I fancied going out for fish n chips, politely declined going for chinese instead.:fish:

Rudi, you're going to be quite the fish whisperer after all this. Sad as it sounds, I'm going to have to check this thread every morning to see how the babies are getting on. Meanwhile, hopefully the original fish left in the main tank don't get any ideas of making any more babies.

Just as I am writing this my husband asks whether I fancied going out for fish n chips, politely declined going for chinese instead.:fish:

:biglaugh:

Fish and Chips!!!!

Well the babies are now in their new tank, but I think it's going to be much harder to spot them as there are plants and ornaments etc!!!! So I may not know how many I have for a while!! 11 went in though.........

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi, I know it's a bit late but I work as a Family Planning nurse happy to offer my services so you don't get a second lot!:biggrin:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sadly it might be too late for even more!!!! Apparently, Molly fish, after giving birth once, go on the give birth about once a month for 5-6 months!!!!!!!! :eek: So we may be having more in the near future!!! :fish2:

I am pleased to report that we still have 11 very cute little babies. I am beginning to see the appeal of owning fish :biggrin::cute:

I will post some photos later when I have uploaded them :laugh:

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest30038
Well it's not a great picture, but here's 3 of the babies!!! They are just under 1cm long......

Still got 11 :cute:

Love

Rudi

x

Someone's been having you on. They look like baby pirhanas to me :shocked:

kev

LOL well they haven't tried to eat my hand off yet!!! They are beginning to have a bit of colour on them now - some are a little bit orangey like their mum and some are blacker like their dad :jiggy:

And yes.......I have even found out how to tell which sex the adults are :biglaugh:

Love

Rudi

x

Guest VickyMel

Thanks Rudi

With the reflection it could have been 6. Feeling a bit broody myself after seeing the pictures.

I used to have a big tank with 3 goldfish next to my bed - will maybe have to look into it again after the move.

Vicky

• 2 weeks later...

All my baby fish are doing really well!! We still have 11 and I can't believe how fast they are growing!!! They are eating crushed up proper fish food now and loving it!

They are all still white, but some have started to get little black spots on.......just like their dad :cute:

Love

Rudi and the

:fish2::fish2::fish2:

:fish2::fish2:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest guest30038
All my baby fish are doing really well!! We still have 11 and I can't believe how fast they are growing!!! They are eating crushed up proper fish food now and loving it!

They are all still white, but some have started to get little black spots on.......just like their dad :cute:

Love

Rudi and the

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd take him to the hospital Rudi :biglaugh:

Archived