Why are some of you still going

KIRK AND CO

I have been there with the house falling apart with not a penny to put it right & it hurts like hell so to not have that ahy more no appologies.

Your confusing me kirk,in the past you've said you had plenty £ to go with,so IF thats true why would you end up on the bones of your arse?

Imo theres too many people waiting for the PERFECT TIME to migrate,its NOT going to happen is it?the CHEAP oz dream of 5/10 yrs ago has gone for good,either accept that and still go,or wait for how long???????????????????forever!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
The family issues re oz i sympathise with you jim,but the money side no,£300.000 k is MORE than enuf to go with,much more than we'l be going with!

Your 50 not 60 jim,2 yrs older than me thats all,like ive said previously,it all depends HOW much you want to go?(family issues aside)

Things is pablo, me and my best mate on PIO disagree about almost everything and he over exaggerates about how dear it is in OZ, but i will agree, it isn't cheap to live there and YES we would take $300,000 but we were going to take $500,000. I don't want to sound greedy, but we will never make that money up, but i can just about do this, but the job situation isn't as good as i first thought, i was lied to and i can't keep saying, never mind, about this, never mind about that, so thats alot worse and this isn't the same, where do you say, its just too much. My yearning to live there hasn't dwindled, but the fact is, FOR US, not maybe for you and others, its got alot harder to get there, again WE are in different positions, i'm not saying i'm giving up, but it isn't easy at present.

Your confusing me kirk,in the past you've said you had plenty £ to go with,so IF thats true why would you end up on the bones of your arse?

Imo theres too many people waiting for the PERFECT TIME to migrate,its NOT going to happen is it?the CHEAP oz dream of 5/10 yrs ago has gone for good,either accept that and still go,or wait for how long???????????????????forever!

I started with nothing & had the luck to give me what I have today & yes I still have the money to go similar to the last post but hell am I throughing it away for the sake of waiting a few years.

You can spend your whole life thi king of reasons NOT to do things.......

If you dont try you'll never know mate

I'd rather try and fail than regret never trying.....and as for £300,000!..I wish,we'll be lucky to take £40,000 but then money has never been a great motivator for me either....health and standard of life are WAY more important

Cheers

Paul

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I'd rather try and fail than regret never trying.....and as for £300,000!..I wish,we'll be lucky to take £40,000 but then money has never been a great motivator for me either....health and standard of life are WAY more important

Cheers

Paul

If i only had $40,000 i would be happy taking $300,000 but we had $500,000 and all i am saying is, everyones circumstances are different, i don't want to be saddled with a mortgage at 50, you might be ok with this, i'm not, i want my money for me and my family, and to enjoy the lifestyle, you might like working all the time and having little money, i don't want that. Its a waste of time discussing each other, we all have different lives, doesn't mean your wrong, or i'm right and vice versa, if i had no kids and i was younger, it wouldn't matter and i would be there already.

Cheers

Paul

£300k is certainly a lot of money, but perhaps you are younger and have not saved this yet. Some people may have spent the last 25 years saving or paying off a mortgage and don't want to go to Australia and have to take out another large mortgage and start again. Maybe they want to go to Australia, to not have any money worry troubles, to take life easier.

I think saying well I only have £40k and wish I had £300k is sort of missing the point.

We didn't really want to sell at a big loss and then bring over money at a really bad rate, although we do accept that it is unlikely this is going to improve in the near future and that is just our hard luck. So we decided to just come over, leave everything in the UK as it is for a few years and rent over here for now.

Guest PasonJayne

It is really refreshing to read all these posts and to understand everyone is in the same boat reference Uk pound and decisions to make the move. For those using money from equity in UK property it is going to be tough and it is demoralising when you look at domain.com and see those affordable dream houses you worked out at an exchange rate of 2.2-2.4. At a sorry state today of 1.5 to the pound most of the homes we looked at previously are now going to cost us £100,000 more or in another way put us 10 years back financially.

As many have quoted in these posts there is nothing any of us can do about it, you wait, you wait, you wait and wait again for the rate to improve, reality is it wont improve and as the Australian economy grows quicker than the UK the rate gets worse. The only thing we can do is get out there ASAP and earn AUD as quick as possible. Use as little UK money as possible and sit on the investments or UK cash as much as possible.

The only way the UK pound is going to improve against the dollar is when the british economy improves, in my opinion not for another 15 years or if the Australian economy crashes and if it takes this for us to be happy our UK money and investments are worth something we have even bigger problems than we are worrying about now.

For me i am just glad to be leaving a country that is flat on its ass, has no future for our kids and future generations and will become an even poorer country in years to come. The UK was a great nation, not anymore it is living on borrowed time and money. It breaks my heart to say it as this is our roots , but for the future we all know where the sun is shining.

It aint going to be a walk in the park but it will be one on the beach. Keep positive it will all be worth it. :-)

It is really refreshing to read all these posts and to understand everyone is in the same boat reference Uk pound and decisions to make the move. For those using money from equity in UK property it is going to be tough and it is demoralising when you look at domain.com and see those affordable dream houses you worked out at an exchange rate of 2.2-2.4. At a sorry state today of 1.5 to the pound most of the homes we looked at previously are now going to cost us £100,000 more or in another way put us 10 years back financially.

As many have quoted in these posts there is nothing any of us can do about it, you wait, you wait, you wait and wait again for the rate to improve, reality is it wont improve and as the Australian economy grows quicker than the UK the rate gets worse. The only thing we can do is get out there ASAP and earn AUD as quick as possible. Use as little UK money as possible and sit on the investments or UK cash as much as possible.

The only way the UK pound is going to improve against the dollar is when the british economy improves, in my opinion not for another 15 years or if the Australian economy crashes and if it takes this for us to be happy our UK money and investments are worth something we have even bigger problems than we are worrying about now.

For me i am just glad to be leaving a country that is flat on its ass, has no future for our kids and future generations and will become an even poorer country in years to come. The UK was a great nation, not anymore it is living on borrowed time and money. It breaks my heart to say it as this is our roots , but for the future we all know where the sun is shining.

It aint going to be a walk in the park but it will be one on the beach. Keep positive it will all be worth it. :-)

Out of the pan into the frying pan.

Out of the pan into the frying pan.

Yeah, and out of the frying pan and into the fire as well.:shocked:

So i take it you are having second thoughts Kirk?

Guest chris955

Everyone is different and everyone wants different things. For some being able to walk to a beach is important, for us it is of no importance at all. For us this country doesn't offer what we want and the UK does. I think people with LESS money to take will in a way be better off, have enough to rent somewhere, buy a car and furniture etc, basically enough just to get started. For those with a large sum of money it is obviously different and speaking for myself there is no way I would take the hit at the moment. With the UK economy growing and things pointing to being on the up the rate will improve in the next few years but bear in mind the Government WANT the rate where it is at the moment.

Also make no mistake there are plenty of unemployed people here and there isn't as much work as some would have you believe. It is very regional. Also rents are high, house prices are sky high, utilities are going through the roof, food prices are going up and up so it's no land of milk and honey but just because it isn't for us and many others does not mean it isn't for you, so take the plunge and do it.

If i only had $40,000 i would be happy taking $300,000 but we had $500,000 and all i am saying is, everyones circumstances are different, i don't want to be saddled with a mortgage at 50, you might be ok with this, i'm not, i want my money for me and my family, and to enjoy the lifestyle, you might like working all the time and having little money, i don't want that. Its a waste of time discussing each other, we all have different lives, doesn't mean your wrong, or i'm right and vice versa, if i had no kids and i was younger, it wouldn't matter and i would be there already.

But you didn't "have" $500,000. At one stage, that was what your pounds would have converted to. You never "had" it.

It all depends on how you value your life versus your cash, and the compromises that you make in order to achieve a balance between the two.

I had a friend who paid tens of thousands of dollars on a cancer treatment which he knew would give him about 3 extra weeks.

It is just an example, not a critcism.

Cheers.

But you didn't "have" $500,000. At one stage, that was what your pounds would have converted to. You never "had" it.

You are right of course, taking it literally. Certainly we have decided that whilst we won't sell up and move money over now, even when we do, we will not be as fortunate as people who moved in a different time. C'est la vie and all that.

However surely it is not that hard to see why somebody who is 50 years old and has probably been paying a mortgage off for 25 years, is thinking carefully about whether they want to get saddled with another big mortgage again when perhaps they were hoping to wind down from the workforce, maybe retire within the next ten years. Whether they "had" the money or not is probably not the issue, the fact is that previoulsy they might have been mortgage free and now they have to consider taking on a debt again.

Each to their own,i wont be waiting for the perfect time to go(that will never come),nor will i wish my life away hankering for the way things were 5/10 yrs ago,they've gone for jesus sake!

Sometimes yer just have to bite the bullet,accept things as they are and go,i just wouldnt put myself in the position of NOT making a decision one way or another,all that does is leave your head in limboland and that can only stress you out/make you miserable.

We never decided to migrate to be financially better off(great if we could but....),we decided to migrate because we wanted to live in australia,were going to live in a different country,were not going expecting a big house on top of a hill with an olympic size swimming pool,why SHOULD we expect/demand what we "could" have had "now"?.

From what i read uk/oz costs are about the same?so now migrants have a choice,do you want to live in australia?,OR did you only want to live there because things WERE cheaper?

Like i said,its straightforward,it just depends on how much you want it in "most cases".

I just hope im not on here in two years time reading jim,kirk+others saying they regret not at least giving it a go,thats all,because i hope they make it there,but their probably only going to do that if they lessen their expectations and accept things have changed,and im not sure they will accept that,like i say,big decision,each to their own.

Things is pablo, me and my best mate on PIO disagree about almost everything and he over exaggerates about how dear it is in OZ, but i will agree, it isn't cheap to live there and YES we would take $300,000 but we were going to take $500,000. I don't want to sound greedy, but we will never make that money up, but i can just about do this, but the job situation isn't as good as i first thought, i was lied to and i can't keep saying, never mind, about this, never mind about that, so thats alot worse and this isn't the same, where do you say, its just too much. My yearning to live there hasn't dwindled, but the fact is, FOR US, not maybe for you and others, its got alot harder to get there, again WE are in different positions, i'm not saying i'm giving up, but it isn't easy at present.

Dont know about that jim,cant see how you work that out tbh.................but anyway,its up to you mate,your choice,no point me trying to tell you what to do is there.

Each to their own,i wont be waiting for the perfect time to go(that will never come),nor will i wish my life away hankering for the way things were 5/10 yrs ago,they've gone for jesus sake!

Sometimes yer just have to bite the bullet,accept things as they are and go,i just wouldnt put myself in the position of NOT making a decision one way or another,all that does is leave your head in limboland and that can only stress you out/make you miserable.

We never decided to migrate to be financially better off(great if we could but....),we decided to migrate because we wanted to live in australia,were going to live in a different country,were not going expecting a big house on top of a hill with an olympic size swimming pool,why SHOULD we expect/demand what we "could" have had "now"?.

From what i read uk/oz costs are about the same?so now migrants have a choice,do you want to live in australia?,OR did you only want to live there because things WERE cheaper?

Like i said,its straightforward,it just depends on how much you want it in "most cases".

I just hope im not on here in two years time reading jim,kirk+others saying they regret not at least giving it a go,thats all,because i hope they make it there,but their probably only going to do that if they lessen their expectations and accept things have changed,and im not sure they will accept that,like i say,big decision,each to their own.

I think if you want a "perfect" life, you will only be disappointed.

Guest Guest26012
The family issues re oz i sympathise with you jim,but the money side no,£300.000 k is MORE than enuf to go with,much more than we'l be going with!

Your 50 not 60 jim,2 yrs older than me thats all,like ive said previously,it all depends HOW much you want to go?(family issues aside)

Agree with you mate! I was 46 when we came here! No deposit for a house! Now we are in our own home! Started from scratch but we are happier!!! I guess its about what you want from life? If you want to come here mortgage free and if thats the only way you can be happy then go for it! To us its about the laid back life that we have, not the money! We have enough to live on and pay mortgage, bills etc but at the end of the day i believe its about whatever makes you happy! If money holds anyone back from coming to oz then as far as im concerned you cant be happy here! To me its one life and all that! It might all go **** up but hey, at least we are happy!!!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY :biggrin:

Because Life is too short to not go for it

We had everything against us, lost 50k on house, took two years to sell house, dad died, exchange rate crap, hubby had to leave us in uk while he had to start job here but do know what...

We got here eventualy and WE LOVE IT, we may not be rich financially, may not ever afford to buy a house again but who cares, little un has really settled at school, hubby has been promoted, im lucky enough to not have to work at the moment

Life is here to live, not sit on your backside worrying

Claire x

My family and hundreds of other family's over here didn't see it as a risk and have made a decent lifestyle for ourselves. I guess it all depends what you want from life.

I remember very soon after arriving in Oz we realised its harder to make money here and we would never be as well off as we had been in the UK financially. This took some adapting too, more so for the hubby who earnt a fab wage back in the UK than for me. However if you take time to adjust ,you soon realise you don't have to be wadded to have fun or to survive, the majority of family's i have met here aren't rich and probably never will be, you don't need a fat wallet to have fun.

I also have a snide chuckle at those who expect to hop off a plane and pick up with where they left off in the UK. It won't happen. Trying to make a life out here is similar to when you first left home ,not many of us had an excellent paid job, house and millions of friends, we all started at the bottom and worked up. If you don't want to do this then yes i would think very carefully about migrating. Its not a fairy tale, the job centre won't be on the phone everyday offering you work, you have to get out there and find it yourself, the same as friends, people wont be knocking your door down to introduce themselves, get out there, mingle and make friends,, don't expect to replace the good close friendships you left behind in a few weeks/ months or you will be very disappointed.

Overall, moving here will be as successful as you make it. There are hurdles to clear, sometimes in every direction you look ,only you can decide if they're worth jumping. Thankfully we did and haven't yet looked back despite being skint !lol

Cal x

Guest chris955

Anywhere is what you make of it, we have never been that fussed about money and have always managed somehow. If all goes well we will be mortagage free when we get back to the UK and that will make life far more comfortable and it is a bonus but it isn't the most important part of life. Having said that I can fully understand why there are those who are mortgage free and aren't too thrilled about getting saddled with another big debt over here so it isn't always as easy as it sounds.

Having said that I can fully understand why there are those who are mortgage free and aren't too thrilled about getting saddled with another big debt over here so it isn't always as easy as it sounds.

So true ,but again if you are serious about starting a new life here ,then surely you wouldn't come expecting to be able to buy a waterfront mansion outright,, think how long it took these family's to be mortgage free, as i said in my above post ,no-one (unless a millionaire) can hop off a plane here and start where they left off, its like starting at the bottom and working your way up, again.

However I'm sure if someone was mortgage free in the UK and they sold their house they would be able to buy something here with only a small debt/mortgage if any. First step on the ladder and all that,,,,might not mean living on the seafront or in a huge 6 bed villa but we all have to start somewhere.

Cal x

Archived