Why are some of you still going

KIRK AND CO

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by putting the family at risk... At risk of what?

As we all know stress can be a big problem with such a mayor move so if the added pressure of £, House prices uk & oz, Schools, money, ect is now there as well it adds up to be a very volitile cocktail.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by putting the family at risk... At risk of what?

Crocodiles,sharks,spiders that sort of thing:shocked::swoon:

1 Theres only me and her to consider,no kids to worry over.

Im assuming your talking about the exchange rate+hse prices uk/oz?

2 I dont think the exchange rate is going to go back up that much anytime soon,im no financial expert AT ALL,but i see hard times ahead for UK plc,the "condemns" have said so.

3 Ive been in and out of work here for the last 18 months,nothing at all for 5 weeks now,IF i was working in oz that would be roughly £2,500/£3,000 i WOULD have picked up in 5 weeks,so theres 2 ways of looking at financial issues,BUT even if i had been(or will be)in steady work i would still be going,moneys great isnt it?!but its NOT my god,and tbh i just cba sitting here waiting for things to improve when theres a chance they might not?

IF i had been in oz AND working there the last 18 months i reckon i'd have been about £20,000 better off than i have been here,thats not me crying poverty,just fact.

I know brickies who have worked like dogs on pricework on the same sites as me,worked till 6/7 O'clock where i'd go home at 3 O'clock,loaded these fellahs,but they ended up pegging out...........no pockets in a shroud kirk,and i dont want to be the richest bricky in the bone orchard anyway,work to live not live to work,last cliche of the night:biggrin:...........lifes for living,not waiting around on "what ifs":santatrumpet:

Why ?? when everything is against the move???or is it you only see what you want to see & not the reality. If your single no ties I can see why but to put your family at risk ???.

IF we decide to move over it will probably be for the same reasons as when we first started looking into it a few years ago, thats to get away from England and all the things we as a couple have started to hate about it, we are not foolish enough to think things over there will be paradise and an easy life but it MAY be a better life for us and our children, the money is of course an issue but these things cost lots of money and that is that.

From a personel point of view also, we have spent a lot of money on the visa process and now at least have to go over soon to check it all out and then make a final decision based on that. Also i know that is a big decision based on a month over there but if we do not get on with it soon we will run out of time.

IF we decide to move over it will probably be for the same reasons as when we first started looking into it a few years ago, thats to get away from England and all the things we as a couple have started to hate about it, we are not foolish enough to think things over there will be paradise and an easy life but it MAY be a better life for us and our children, the money is of course an issue but these things cost lots of money and that is that.

From a personel point of view also, we have spent a lot of money on the visa process and now at least have to go over soon to check it all out and then make a final decision based on that. Also i know that is a big decision based on a month over there but if we do not get on with it soon we will run out of time.

Lucky for some of us time is what we have in my case 4 years.

But at the end of the day money will be there near the top.

I dont agree,

as long as people have got the money to live, feed the kids and have a reasonable life style then that in a lot of ways is enough. Most people put to much emphasis on money and wealth and i too have been guilty of that, but in all honesty health, happiness and family must all come before finances.

I dont agree,

as long as people have got the money to live, feed the kids and have a reasonable life style then that in a lot of ways is enough. Most people put to much emphasis on money and wealth and i too have been guilty of that, but in all honesty health, happiness and family must all come before finances.

Sorry I ment it near the top of most stress arguements.

Guest BrightonBoys

Why are we still going?

We have both had enough of here! Michael wants to be home, and I feel that Aus is home. Yep sure money will be tight but would rather be poor in a warm climate, than poor here, thinking how the hell will I pay for the heating?!

Sorry I ment it near the top of most stress arguements.

This isnt meant as a snide comment kirk,if it WAS i'd make that plain,but i think you let money rule your life a bit too much mucker,its all you seem to post about, thats what im forming my opinion on,each to their own i suppose,but as others have said theres lots of other more important things as well,as long as were comfortable but with a bit more space to breathe and within a reasonable distance of some blue ocean i'l be content mate:wubclub:

Conversation killer or what! not having a go at yer kirk,but dont you think you worry about money TOO much?

I dont agree,

This is so true and this is how I feel...

To me health,happiness and my kids are without doubt the most important things in my life wherever I live.

I do though see what Kirk is saying, It took me 3 years of working nearly every night and weekend to build my house, now its for sale i'm getting silly offers of 25% less than its worth (very soul destroying), add that with the 30% drop on the oz doller and all the costs of moving and your looking at a very big hit in the pocket.

Having said that,as long as I can find plenty of work when I get to Australia I'll probably soon get over the loss:confused:

The exchange rate has made us worry slightly but it has just made us change our plans slightly...so we will be renting out our house instead of selling it and bringing all our money over and will change up only we need...still going to follow our dream, but not wearing rose tinted glasses. You just have to be practical....

The exchange rate has made us worry slightly but it has just made us change our plans slightly...so we will be renting out our house instead of selling it and bringing all our money over and will change up only we need...still going to follow our dream, but not wearing rose tinted glasses. You just have to be practical....

I plan to do the same draw whatever equity we can rent it and try and dig a life out in Oz starting hand to mouth and see where it takes us - done it before gonna try and do it again, bit of a bummer as 2 years ago everything would've been a lot easier financially but who knows where in the mire the UK will be in 2 years, it's all a gamble really.

This is so true and this is how I feel...

Same here

I feel very lucky to have what we do, this year I have been so proud of my children, they never expect alot for Christmas but as money got tight they were more worried on can we still afford to honour our payments to our child sponsorships than what they might not get for Christmas.

I love my family :wubclub: and I know if things get tough where ever we are we will all support each other.

Because I have been wanting to return back to OZ for the last 10 years and now the chance in my life came and I'm gonna take it!!!!

I'll play it safe by renting our house instead of selling and will only take a couple of thousands so its all good. I won't put family at risk, don't see how.

Will not give up my dream that easily my friend. Maybe after all, your heart is not really in OZ cause you would have not asked that question in the first place :wink:

Cheers

B!K3R

This isnt meant as a snide comment kirk,if it WAS i'd make that plain,but i think you let money rule your life a bit too much mucker,its all you seem to post about, thats what im forming my opinion on,each to their own i suppose,but as others have said theres lots of other more important things as well,as long as were comfortable but with a bit more space to breathe and within a reasonable distance of some blue ocean i'l be content mate:wubclub:

Conversation killer or what! not having a go at yer kirk,but dont you think you worry about money TOO much?

some say we have no work & some say we have no money but you need both to have money in 99% of cases.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think kirk raises a good point over the money, as most of you know it is playing a big part in making it difficult for us to move and its that old thing again............. We are all different, We all have different things going on in our lives, we are at different stages in our lives.

We are mortgage free after 27yrs of paying and an house that cost £200,000 18 months ago, will now cost £300,000 and to us, its too much. Yes we could have one for alot less, but that was the whole dream package when we set off and alot of other things, would be harder for us and having plenty of money makes life better for yourelves wherever you are.

This is a difficult time to emigrate, unless you haven't alot to give up and you are young and can start a fresh, in our case, its not that easy due to me being 50, but we will still be hoping it picks up.

Best of luck to everyone.

some say we have no work & some say we have no money but you need both to have money in 99% of cases.

Not with yer kirk?........work and money go hand in glove,i know that,if thats what yer saying,but i think some people want oz to be utopia,scared to move unless its all perfect?we dont think that way,you have to want to go to AUSTRALIA not UTOPIA,if people dont want it enuf then stay in the uk,but dont whinge about the uk if you had a choice and chose the uk,its that easy to me mate

Put another way,if its all about money....if someone said i could be a millionaire but i'd have to live in sierra leone the rest of my life i'd say no thx,it all depends whats more important,money or contentment,i'd choose contentment,contentment WITH money would be even better,but contentment wins on its own everytime

I think kirk raises a good point over the money, as most of you know it is playing a big part in making it difficult for us to move and its that old thing again............. We are all different, We all have different things going on in our lives, we are at different stages in our lives.

We are mortgage free after 27yrs of paying and an house that cost £200,000 18 months ago, will now cost £300,000 and to us, its too much. Yes we could have one for alot less, but that was the whole dream package when we set off and alot of other things, would be harder for us and having plenty of money makes life better for yourelves wherever you are.

This is a difficult time to emigrate, unless you haven't alot to give up and you are young and can start a fresh, in our case, its not that easy due to me being 50, but we will still be hoping it picks up.

Best of luck to everyone.

The family issues re oz i sympathise with you jim,but the money side no,£300.000 k is MORE than enuf to go with,much more than we'l be going with!

Your 50 not 60 jim,2 yrs older than me thats all,like ive said previously,it all depends HOW much you want to go?(family issues aside)

Archived