Fiance refused entry clearance to marry in UK

jomac

We fount out today that my fiance has been refused entry clearance to marry in the UK. It is a disaster. We have booked our wedding, people are flying from all over the world and I have my dress. We didn't know we needed any sort of visa for him to enter the UK to get married until the priest only told us in September we need to register our intention to marry at the local registry office and it was only after that the entry visa saga unfolded.

He completed his biometrics in Brisbane and sent the form to the UK embassy in Canberra, only to have it returned because the fool at the Brisbane office hadn't signed off his paperwork properly. Back to Brisbane to get it signed off properly and sent again to Canberra for processing.

Waiting with bated breath for the last week, until we received notice today that it was refused because we didn't submit enough supporting evidence with the application to proove that he is only planning to enter the UK to marry me and then leave again. We are all planning to go and live together in Australia once we are married.

Has anyone else had anything like this? I went to an immigration lawyer today who suggested that the UK border agency are refusing lots of visas at the moment and that we may be as unsuccessful even if we reapply with all the correct evidence.

How are we meant to be together??? We have a 7 year old daughter together and after a few years apart, we are desperate to all be together again.

Can anyone give us a silver lining????

Desperately unhappy in London :(

We fount out today that my fiance has been refused entry clearance to marry in the UK. It is a disaster. We have booked our wedding, people are flying from all over the world and I have my dress. We didn't know we needed any sort of visa for him to enter the UK to get married until the priest only told us in September we need to register our intention to marry at the local registry office and it was only after that the entry visa saga unfolded.

He completed his biometrics in Brisbane and sent the form to the UK embassy in Canberra, only to have it returned because the fool at the Brisbane office hadn't signed off his paperwork properly. Back to Brisbane to get it signed off properly and sent again to Canberra for processing.

Waiting with bated breath for the last week, until we received notice today that it was refused because we didn't submit enough supporting evidence with the application to proove that he is only planning to enter the UK to marry me and then leave again. We are all planning to go and live together in Australia once we are married.

Has anyone else had anything like this? I went to an immigration lawyer today who suggested that the UK border agency are refusing lots of visas at the moment and that we may be as unsuccessful even if we reapply with all the correct evidence.

How are we meant to be together??? We have a 7 year old daughter together and after a few years apart, we are desperate to all be together again.

Oh My I am so sorry. I don't have any advice I am afraid as I don't know the system but I wante dto send my condolences. Is it not possible to get married in Australia? I understand that would mean massive changes and families may not be able to attend etc. Seems really odd that they will not allow him to enter the UK to get amrried. I hope there is someway around it for you

Well I'm confused to say the least but yet my faith has been restored!!

Clearly the UK government are being tough on migration, fantastic, about time too !

oz has its rules and it's now and it's a difficult country to 'get in' to, I just hope UK applies the same strict rules. But nevertheless its fair as is UK, genuine relationships are allowed and their partners are able to enter the respective countries to be with their loved ones.

You have a 7 year old child together, I find it utterly incredible that you cannot get visas that allow you to be together as a family, is there something i'm just not getting here?

Clearly the UK government are being tough on migration, fantastic, about time too !

No, I think you'll find it's just because he's from Australia. Had he been from Afganistan, Iraq or Somalia (you know what most of us would consider the at risk countries) they'd have granted the visa straight away.

Guest siamsusie

My husband being an Australian had to apply for a Visa for entry clearance into the Uk to marry me.

Requirements were:

Letter from employer to state he was in full time work and this would be on going... this was checked by Canberra.

Bank statements

Proof of ownership of home in Australia

Return ticket

Stat Decs

His and my Passport

Proof of funds

A visa was duly granted with my details inserted into his passport.

This was double checked with the Home Office by the Registrar in Scotland prior to marriage!

We found it to be an oxymoron, The British Embassy emphatically say..... do not make travel plans or wedding plans, yet they ask to see proof of plane tickets, wedding plans, invitations etc... and we found Canberra who are a call centre to be inefficient to say the least!

The reception at Glasgow airport by the immigration officers were rude and discourteous despite having the required Visa!

Cameron has announced huge cut backs on non EU marriage visas this week!

I find your situation extremely sad particularly as you have a daughter between you, have you tried your local MP at all...

:hug:I sincerely hope that they re look at your case sympathetically , let us know how you get on.

Very best wishes Susie x

Guest siamsusie
No, I think you'll find it's just because he's from Australia. Had he been from Afganistan, Iraq or Somalia (you know what most of us would consider the at risk countries) they'd have granted the visa straight away.

Dont worry Ken, my husband wasnt treated so well either:biggrin: I was actually extremely ashamed at his welcome into the country!

Guest siamsusie
Bit confused by your comment. Is your husband from Afganistan?

I think this is deviating away from the OP's dilemma Ken. I think it would come as quite a shock that an Antipodean who has every intention of returning back to Australia is refused entry into the UK particularly as they have a 7yr old child.

I sincerely hope that the Op manages to find a good Mp to take this matter up for them.

Susie

Thank you all for your words of support. I am feeling totally depressed today. H2B and I have spent about 8 hours on Skype trying to work out the best course of action and all we can do is re apply with enough documentary evidence to destroy a forest somewhere!

We originally took our guidance from here:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/supportingdocsvisituk and sent in all it recommends.

Our new application will include:

Copy of my UK Passport and Birth certificate (originals are being couriered to Australia)

Letter from priest at the Church we have booked our wedding.

Contract and receipt for money paid from the hotel that we have booked our reception, as well as photographer, florist etc.

Bank statements for past 3 months for H2B.

Appointment from London Registry office to give notification of our intended marriage.

My letter of support as fiancee

My application for migration to Australia as his spouse (to prove that we are planning to return to Australia after our wedding)

Copy of letter giving my notice at work

Application forms for jobs for myself in Australia

Letter to confirm school place for our daughter in Australia

Letter from accountant outlining details of his business in Australia

He is staying with family right now until we get there and buy a place together, so can't produce evidence of home ownership.

What gets to me is that yes, Ken, if he was perhaps another nationality, he would have been welcomed with open arms....the type of people who I deal with in London on a daily basis that seem to think it's ok to sit on my garden wall, drinking beer and urinating in my garden etc. As Jessie says about time they were tough on border controls, but in this case it's extreme!!!

All we wanted to do was get married in London, so we could involve all my family and friends and have a bit of a farewell bash and then go to Oz. We did think about getting married in Oz, and considered other locations, but my sister has a severely disabled child and would not have been able to make it, so we decided to do it all in London.

The irony of it is that H2B does not even like the UK that much and would not want to stay here in a million years!

Susie, did you send your original passport or a copy? We will send H2Bs, but do they need my original? I plan to send my original birth cert and that of our daughter. How long did your application take?

I too found the website contradictory like yourself - don't book anything, but want evidence of everything.

Please cross fingers for us! Will let you know how he gets on in Canberra next week.

:unsure:

Have you thought about approaching your MP as well - it does indeed seem rather ridiculous! Especially throw in the bit about a disabled person in your family who could not travel - they do seem to be big on social justice.

I dont suppose there is any other way he could get in - no UK grandparent perhaps who could give him the right to enter on an ancestry visa?

Good luck, that definitely sux!

• 2 months later...
Guest siamsusie
Thank you all for your words of support. I am feeling totally depressed today. H2B and I have spent about 8 hours on Skype trying to work out the best course of action and all we can do is re apply with enough documentary evidence to destroy a forest somewhere!

We originally took our guidance from here:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/supportingdocsvisituk and sent in all it recommends.

Our new application will include:

Copy of my UK Passport and Birth certificate (originals are being couriered to Australia)

Letter from priest at the Church we have booked our wedding.

Contract and receipt for money paid from the hotel that we have booked our reception, as well as photographer, florist etc.

Bank statements for past 3 months for H2B.

Appointment from London Registry office to give notification of our intended marriage.

My letter of support as fiancee

My application for migration to Australia as his spouse (to prove that we are planning to return to Australia after our wedding)

Copy of letter giving my notice at work

Application forms for jobs for myself in Australia

Letter to confirm school place for our daughter in Australia

Letter from accountant outlining details of his business in Australia

He is staying with family right now until we get there and buy a place together, so can't produce evidence of home ownership.

What gets to me is that yes, Ken, if he was perhaps another nationality, he would have been welcomed with open arms....the type of people who I deal with in London on a daily basis that seem to think it's ok to sit on my garden wall, drinking beer and urinating in my garden etc. As Jessie says about time they were tough on border controls, but in this case it's extreme!!!

All we wanted to do was get married in London, so we could involve all my family and friends and have a bit of a farewell bash and then go to Oz. We did think about getting married in Oz, and considered other locations, but my sister has a severely disabled child and would not have been able to make it, so we decided to do it all in London.

The irony of it is that H2B does not even like the UK that much and would not want to stay here in a million years!

Susie, did you send your original passport or a copy? We will send H2Bs, but do they need my original? I plan to send my original birth cert and that of our daughter. How long did your application take?

I too found the website contradictory like yourself - don't book anything, but want evidence of everything.

Please cross fingers for us! Will let you know how he gets on in Canberra next week.

:unsure:

I am so sorry I have just seen this... we both had to send in original passports. My application took approx 3 months. Yes although we crept in before the deadline of airline tickets etc it was still a nail biting period.

The website is definately most contradictory!

Please do let me know how you got on, its a horrible position to have been in.

Love Susie x:hug:

Just go anyway, get your dress on, have a made up ceremony and a celebration with your friends and then get married when and where you feel like.

Sounds like you have been together for a long time anyway and another few weeks won't make any difference. It's only a bit of paper anyway, doesn't change how you feel about one another.

Just sounds like they are trying to make you jump through too many hoops that might cost you a lot of money too. Save it for when you get together properly, maybe for a house deposit or something.

Thanks all so much for your comments and support. Well we do have a happy ending to our tale and we have now been married a month, on the day we wanted, in the place we wanted!

But.... boy, we jumped through hoops of fire to get there!

Hubby reapplied for the clearance to enter visa, we sent in hundreds of pages of evidence and paper work, had MPs in England and Oz on the case, had letters of support from anyone we could think of, including a relative who happens to be a judge, and sent it all off to Canberra, my docs via express courier at great expense. We received an email to say it had been received, but we heard nothing for ages. We had to have the visa and passports in hubby's hands by the Monday, so he could fly out in time for us to fulfil residency and registration requirements - Tuesday was the last day he could get here for us to satisfy the time scale. By the previous Friday, we still had nothing from the Embassy, so we called, despite them stating that we should not as it would delay applications. Within an hour of our phone call, we had notification that the visa had been granted and hubby asked if the passport was in the post and emphasising real urgency of the situation . Told yes it was. Checked tracking on Saturday. Not sent. Started to sweat!!! Had long think about the situation and decided we had nothing to lose at this stage if hubby took his chances and flew to Canberra to pick up passport before it was posted. He got us 3am on the Monday, drove from GC to brisbane, flew to Canberra, arrived 9am. Met at the desk by some 20 yr old squirt with a ring in his lip and eye brow, had to beg the guy to find his passport. 20 yr old squirt located the passport, and sat across the desk, humming and ha- ing aobut whether he should hand it over the counter. Hubby begged the squirt, who fortunately had a moment of compassion and handed over the pass port. Relief!! Hubby flew back to Brisbane, drove to GC, booked flight to London, packed a bag, drove back to Brisbane, caught a flight to London, via Melbourne, via HK and arrived in London at 3pm the following day, after approx 36 hours of travel, on the very last day that we had to spare in our legal time frame!!!! If he had arrived after 5pm that day, we would have been stuffed. We were so relieved. As soon as he got here, he got proper flu and spent 10 days in bed, but recovered enough to enjoy our wedding, even if he had to struggle through with very little voice. We had the most fantastic, memorable and enjoyable day ever. Every effort, anxiety, penny and running around we went to for the visa was worth it in the end.

So thanks again for your comments, it just goes to show that where there is a will there is a way!

Guest siamsusie

Oh Jomac, I am so pleased that you finally sorted it... it just goes to show what a bit of determination can do for you.

A huge congratulations on your marriage, and boy do you have some stories to tell.

I came across your post this morning and was so sorry I was late in replying, my memories came flooding back in our dealings with the British Embassy in Canberra ...never again thank you very much ! lol.

Alls well and thank you for coming back and giving us the "happy ending"

love Susie xx:hug:

Ha ha, thanks Susie! Don't worry about not replying in time, it worked out in the end.

Yes we do have some stories to tell, but our whole relationship is a bigger story and it has taken us a long, long time to actually get this far ..... and we are still working towards our final goal as we are waiting for visas to actually live together once and for all. :spinny:

Archived